Looking to get cut - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-24-2008, 11:49 PM Thread Starter
Banned

Looking to get cut

Well here goes...

Its been years since I have worked out, but in highschool I was 6 feet 150 lbs, worked out every day, and wrestled for the school. Sophomore year I was very cut and had some pretty decent mass, but was never bulky per say.

Now Im 6'2 150 lbs but am out of shape and skinny as a pencil. Also only eat about once per day, but I do eat healthy foods and seldom eat fried items or drink anything but water. Probably get 1500 calories per day.

Anyways, I'm looking to start bulking up and get cut again, but I don't want to add any fat (hence get back the 6 pack I once had ).

But yeah, what should I do? We have a great gym on campus but I wouldnt know what workouts to do, how many reps, etc. Also, what should I eat? Any supplements that would be good? Really want to focus on abs, biceps, pecs, and triceps.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-25-2008, 12:39 AM
You never go full retard

Are you wanting to get cut or bulk up, because the way I see it those are two different things. When you say get cut I think cutting body fat, and when you say bulk up I think putting on muscle. Now you can do both of those things but I think most would agree to put the muscle on first then cut the body fat because in the bulking process you'll be eating a bunch of calories to put the weight on.

First figure out how many days your going to work out and break your workouts up into groups. I only work out 4 days a week with weights and it's done as follows:

Monday - military press, shoulder machine, shoulder flyes, skull crushers, tricep pressdowns, and reverse-grip tricep pressdowns

Tuesday - seated rows, wide-grip lat pulldowns, close-grip lat pulldowns, and reverse flyes

Wednesday - Squats, leg sled, quad extensions, hamstring curls, and deadlifts

Thursday - benchpress, incline press, decline press, preacher curls, hammer curls, and reverse curls

Do 4 sets of 8 reps for each exercise, always going to failure. If you fail on 10, add weight.

Now that's a pretty basic workout so you'd want to adjust as needed. I like you haven't worked out regularly in a while so this is working. If you're wanting to put on muscle then you want more weight and less reps always going to the point of failure. If you're wanting to lean out then you want less weight more reps.

As far as supplements go you'll probably want a good multi-vitamin, Vitamin-C, creatine, some sort of weight gainer or protein mix, and possibly glutamine.

If you want to put on weight and build muscle you'll have to eat at least 3 times a day. Cut out all saturated fats like butter, lard, mayo, and anything with them listed on the label. Monounsaturated fats are good for your heart and necessary, but the saturated ones are worhtless, and go straight to your belly. Simple carbs such as sugar and white flower need to be avoided, and whole wheat flower can be ingested sparingly. You should be getting your carbs from brown rice, oatmeal, yams, baked potatoes, legumes, etc. Anything natural is far better than it's processed counterpart. Fat free cottage cheese makes an awesome night time snack, as it has a high protein content, and very few carbs. When craving something sweet the natural sugar in fruit is far better than anything else you might choose.

Over five thousand years ago, Moses said to the children of Israel, "Pick up your shovel, mount your asses and camels, and I will lead you to the Promised Land." Nearly 75 years ago, Roosevelt said,"Lay down your shovels, sit on your asses, and light up a camel, this is the Promised Land." Now Obama has stolen your shovel..., taxed your asses, raised the price of camels and mortgaged the Promised Land!
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-25-2008, 09:43 AM
Rhabdomyolysis anyone?

www.CrossFit.com

Crossfit.com <--- no wimps allowed

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-25-2008, 09:50 AM
Lifer

Im in the same boat as you and eating 2500-3000 calories a day is tough.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cmarsh93z
Don't Fuck with DFWStangs...the most powerfull gang I have ever been a member of.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-25-2008, 03:55 PM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdt66
Im in the same boat as you and eating 2500-3000 calories a day is tough.
Supplements FTW.

I'll show your president the same respect you showed mine.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-25-2008, 04:16 PM
Lifer

Just get a Bowflex.. j/k
Good luck and welcome to the club.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-25-2008, 04:19 PM
Pilgrim

P90x
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-25-2008, 04:23 PM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BreedLove
Supplements FTW.
Taking Muscle Milk 3-4 times a day and Creatine once a day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cmarsh93z
Don't Fuck with DFWStangs...the most powerfull gang I have ever been a member of.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-25-2008, 04:43 PM
You never go full retard

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdt66
Taking Muscle Milk 3-4 times a day and Creatine once a day.
If you're not gaining after that then you're:

A) Doing too much cardio
B) Needing to swap the MM for Whey Protein and some weight gainer
C) Needing to eat a heck of a lot more then what you are.

Over five thousand years ago, Moses said to the children of Israel, "Pick up your shovel, mount your asses and camels, and I will lead you to the Promised Land." Nearly 75 years ago, Roosevelt said,"Lay down your shovels, sit on your asses, and light up a camel, this is the Promised Land." Now Obama has stolen your shovel..., taxed your asses, raised the price of camels and mortgaged the Promised Land!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement