Need advice on advancing my squats. - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-23-2008, 03:21 PM Thread Starter
Lifer

Need advice on advancing my squats.

First off, I am mid 20's, 5'11, a little under 200lbs. I have been working out very religiously for 2 or so years now. My ORM's are as follows: Bench just over 300lbs, dead lift over 400, but my squats are definitely lacking (as in I donít really know what my max is breaking parallel, probably in the 300's).

I have tried many different techniques with no real gains. I can make myself so sore that it takes almost a full week before my legs are not sore, but each time I go back itís like I am stuck where I was.

What I'd like to know is what kind of routines you all are using to get good gains out of your legs. I worked them today as follows.

Squats- 10x225, 8x305, 5x355
Box squats- 8x225, 4x255, 8x225
Leg Press- (donít know the sleds weight) 12x5 plates on each side, 8x7plates, 15x4plates
Leg Extensions and Curls
Calf raises.

I was totally spent afterwards, but itís like I just can seem to really increase my weights much. I try to use excellent form, but going past parallel is so uncomfortable. I know squats separate the boys from the men, but Jesus, I am giving it everything I have. Itís probably in my head, but it seems like I need to do something different to break this plateau.

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-23-2008, 03:59 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by dville_gt
First off, I am mid 20's, 5'11, a little under 200lbs. I have been working out very religiously for 2 or so years now. My ORM's are as follows: Bench just over 300lbs, dead lift over 400, but my squats are definitely lacking (as in I donít really know what my max is breaking parallel, probably in the 300's).

I have tried many different techniques with no real gains. I can make myself so sore that it takes almost a full week before my legs are not sore, but each time I go back itís like I am stuck where I was.

What I'd like to know is what kind of routines you all are using to get good gains out of your legs. I worked them today as follows.

Squats- 10x225, 8x305, 5x355
Box squats- 8x225, 4x255, 8x225
Leg Press- (donít know the sleds weight) 12x5 plates on each side, 8x7plates, 15x4plates
Leg Extensions and Curls
Calf raises.

I was totally spent afterwards, but itís like I just can seem to really increase my weights much. I try to use excellent form, but going past parallel is so uncomfortable. I know squats separate the boys from the men, but Jesus, I am giving it everything I have. Itís probably in my head, but it seems like I need to do something different to break this plateau.

Thanks.
Where do you workout? I know some ppl that own a gym in Duncanville that do a lot of powerlifting. Randy is one of the best squaters in the world and will help you.

A little tip for your parallel problem. Try some box squats. You can use a bench, stack some steps from the step classes, or some custom built boxes. Set the "box" or whatever you are using to where when you sit down on it your legs are parallel or just below parallel. Do your squats off the box...

87 LX Hatch -- Project 302 [email protected] -- 4 Sale
89 4 eye coupe (Grayhorse)
07 Harley Truck S/C
08 G-37S
LockoutSupplements.com
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-23-2008, 04:22 PM Thread Starter
Lifer

I am actually in Arlington now, but Duncanville is just down the road. I work out at UTA's activities center. I have been doing box squats for the last two leg sessions and have been really noticing the soreness. I think I am going to continue those and work my way up that way. I do them in a cage with a spot so failure is not too much of a concern. It becomes now like it has to be a mental thing, I just need some kind of push past it. One other thing I have been considering is that I have never made a log of my workouts. The way I have looked at it is that I know about how much I can do, and I push it as many times as I possibly can, when I go predicting how many reps I can do it usually becomes a ceiling, and I can only hit that many, maybe one more.

On a side note, the past few weeks I have really been making some gains in other muscle groups. I started implementing some HITT cardio at the ends of my workouts and sometimes on off days, I have noticed I feel much sorer after lifting (which may or may not be a good thing). I think I do need a trainer or someone to really push me the right way and my workout partner doesnt know enough to be that guy.

Thanks again.

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-23-2008, 04:48 PM
Scared s**tless

For starters, I don't like going way past parallel much. You can trash your knees with the ass-to-ankles squats. You need a good spotter who will help you at lower weights so that you can recognize where 'just past parallel' is. Once that line is crossed, you'll be golden. You'll be able to 'feel' parallel in your quads and back.

Box squats are cool, but some people have trouble with them because sitting down in the middle middle of a set of heavy weights can allow you to unload your legs. No bueno. I use a box as a 'touch and go' thing.

Hack squats are great, they have helped me to isolate my hamstrings and have helped me with powering up from deep heavy lifts.

Nowadays, I won't settle for less-than-deep squats, anyone that works out with me will tell you that I hate doing anything half-ass.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarrisonBT
I sound shit out man, lol. Firefox didnt have a suggestion. I figure A) I'm waay too far off, or B) It's spanish, and Firefox is an English Fox.

I facepalm myself.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-23-2008, 05:35 PM Thread Starter
Lifer

I have done some hack squats previously, but never got into them seriously. You go down just as low with the bar resting on your crossed arms? I had to go seriously down in weight to make that happen.

The problem is probably half routine half motivation at this point. Donít get me wrong, I love the gym and look forward to my heavy lifting days, but once I am under the weight I think I allow my self to get psyched out a little bit. Probably where a good trainer would pay off with me.

If anyone knows anybody that can really provide me with an expert trainer, if for nothing else I would like to just take a few lessons and implement them into my existing routines.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-23-2008, 05:42 PM

my opinion....

1. take a week or so off of legs and start back with something different. then switch up your routine to leg extensions and curls for a few weeks to shock those muscles.

2. add in bands or chains to your squat routine to really push yourself. that will add some weight while working your legs much more than normal.

3. like don said, dont worry about dropping to your ankles, you'll get almost the same amount of benefit by going right around 90*.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-23-2008, 05:53 PM
Scared s**tless

Quote:
I have done some hack squats previously, but never got into them seriously. You go down just as low with the bar resting on your crossed arms? I had to go seriously down in weight to make that happen.

If anyone knows anybody that can really provide me with an expert trainer, if for nothing else I would like to just take a few lessons and implement them into my existing routines.
I dunno about calling a hack squat anything like a front squat... I love front squats, but the hack squat machine is a totally different animal.

Expert trainer? go to Metroflex and ask for Rendy, he's my go-to guy. Big mean powerlifting bastard... just won the heavyweight class in the recent strongman comp.

If you mosey up north to Bedford, come do legs tomorrow with me.

Quote:
I sound shit out man, lol. Firefox didnt have a suggestion. I figure A) I'm waay too far off, or B) It's spanish, and Firefox is an English Fox.

I facepalm myself.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-23-2008, 06:11 PM Thread Starter
Lifer

Man, I'd like to but I just blasted my legs today (and even though I dont seem to be growing too much I definitly will be sore tomorrow). I dont know what your guest fee is where you are at, but I can get you into UTA's gym for 5 (if you drive down I'll take care of that fee no prob). Just an idea.

Thanks again for the help.

BTW- are you powerlifting guys logging all your lifts to tailor your next weeks routines?
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-23-2008, 06:33 PM
Scared s**tless

Quote:
Man, I'd like to but I just blasted my legs today (and even though I dont seem to be growing too much I definitly will be sore tomorrow). I dont know what your guest fee is where you are at, but I can get you into UTA's gym for 5 (if you drive down I'll take care of that fee no prob). Just an idea.

Thanks again for the help.

BTW- are you powerlifting guys logging all your lifts to tailor your next weeks routines?
Hell no I don't log my lifts... I log a couple of the guys I train with since I am designing their programs (they're gonna love what I start doing to them soon enough... ). I keep all that shit in my head... I'm anal and can literally recite my exact workout from the prior week on any muscle group.

Last week on squats was 135 x 10, 225 x 8, 315 x 6, 365 x 4, 385 x 3. I'm just pounding my quads right now (couple that with typical 16 plate leg presses ) and I am hoping to have some massive thighs by the time this thing is done

swap your leg day to saturday next week, come out with us!

Quote:

I facepalm myself.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-28-2008, 05:16 PM
Time Served

Quote:
Originally Posted by DON SVO
For starters, I don't like going way past parallel much. You can trash your knees with the ass-to-ankles squats. You need a good spotter who will help you at lower weights so that you can recognize where 'just past parallel' is. Once that line is crossed, you'll be golden. You'll be able to 'feel' parallel in your quads and back.

Box squats are cool, but some people have trouble with them because sitting down in the middle middle of a set of heavy weights can allow you to unload your legs. No bueno. I use a box as a 'touch and go' thing.

Hack squats are great, they have helped me to isolate my hamstrings and have helped me with powering up from deep heavy lifts.

Nowadays, I won't settle for less-than-deep squats, anyone that works out with me will tell you that I hate doing anything half-ass.
You are contradicting yourself. You say you wont settle for anything less-than-deep squats but you won't do ATA's?????? ATA's are deep squats! Just below parallel is a powerlift squat. Parallel squats are much harder on your knees than ATA's. Squats in general are not bad for your knees, it is a common misconception.
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-28-2008, 05:24 PM
Scared s**tless

Quote:
Originally Posted by 90redlx
You are contradicting yourself. You say you wont settle for anything less-than-deep squats but you won't do ATA's?????? ATA's are deep squats! Just below parallel is a powerlift squat. Parallel squats are much harder on your knees than ATA's. Squats in general are not bad for your knees, it is a common misconception.
"Deep" to me is anything past parallel. Ass to ankles is the point at which I can feel my calves touch my thighs... I am sure you feel ass-to-ankles is fine, and that's your opinion. I don't agree with it whatsoever from my personal reading and experience. On another note regarding opinions, I'll take the advice of the IFBB pros and professional powerlifters that I train with.

Quote:

I facepalm myself.
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-28-2008, 06:36 PM
Nobody

take a week off, then nail your legs with 100's. anytime i get in a rut or hit a plateau with a certain group, that's what i do. if you don't know what 100's are, look them up or pm me.

New Project 1964 C10 350/700r4

Last edited by SuperWho?; 02-29-2008 at 01:24 PM.
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-28-2008, 11:10 PM
Scared s**tless

I'm not in a rut or plateau'd... mis-quoted?

Quote:

I facepalm myself.
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-29-2008, 01:23 PM
Nobody

Quote:
Originally Posted by DON SVO
I'm not in a rut or plateau'd... mis-quoted?
yeah, i grabbed the wrong one, sorry. was meant for the original post

New Project 1964 C10 350/700r4
Sponsored Links
Advertisement