Question about General Workouts/BJJ - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-18-2008, 10:29 PM Thread Starter
Aspiring Bean Counter.

Question about General Workouts/BJJ

I'm pretty much work out retarded...back when I had a coach busting my ass everyday making me run and lift and I had a routine, I was in pretty good shape and didn't have a problem staying that way.

Now, however, I'm not playing baseball and don't have anyone telling me what to do and when, and I'm sadly out of shape. I've manage to drop most of the weight that I gained after I quite playing, but I now have very little muscle and have a bit of a "beer" belly, along with legs that are, well, less than stellar. I can blame it on my natural body type all day long (which it really is), but I also know that there is plenty I can do for myself to get back into shape, but I'm not sure what to do.

My goals are basically just to get back in shape. I'd really just like to be less chubby and less unpleasing to the eye when my shirt is off. I'm not super concerned about putting on muscle, but it'd be nice. I've already started eating healthy (which accounts for me losing some weight), but I just have no clue where to start as far as working out. I have a gym membership which I use a few times a month when I get minorly motivated, but it happens once a month and I work out 3 times and then I'm done. Throw in the fact that I can't do plain cardio (it has to be associated with something else i.e. ultimate frisbee...something that keeps me running but keeps me from thinking about running) and I've got an issue getting back into shape.

So after all of that, I'm getting to my point. A friend of mine (who is in ridiculously good shape...bikes a few hundred miles a week) has been pushing me to join a Brazilian Ju-Jitsu that he's taking. This was a thought that I had be pondering for a while, since I figured it'd be cool, but after hearing him talk about some of the stuff they do (and some of what I've read on this site), it also sounds like a good way to whip your ass into shape.

That said, in my current state, would it be a poor decision to jump into a class like that? Let me put it this way: do I need to be in shape to do something like a BJJ class or can I use it as a tool to whip my ass into shape?

Also, any other suggestions as far as finding something that isn't just lifting and running to get into shape are more than welcomed.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-18-2008, 10:54 PM
Baller

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOHC
I'm pretty much work out retarded...back when I had a coach busting my ass everyday making me run and lift and I had a routine, I was in pretty good shape and didn't have a problem staying that way.

Now, however, I'm not playing baseball and don't have anyone telling me what to do and when, and I'm sadly out of shape. I've manage to drop most of the weight that I gained after I quite playing, but I now have very little muscle and have a bit of a "beer" belly, along with legs that are, well, less than stellar. I can blame it on my natural body type all day long (which it really is), but I also know that there is plenty I can do for myself to get back into shape, but I'm not sure what to do.

My goals are basically just to get back in shape. I'd really just like to be less chubby and less unpleasing to the eye when my shirt is off. I'm not super concerned about putting on muscle, but it'd be nice. I've already started eating healthy (which accounts for me losing some weight), but I just have no clue where to start as far as working out. I have a gym membership which I use a few times a month when I get minorly motivated, but it happens once a month and I work out 3 times and then I'm done. Throw in the fact that I can't do plain cardio (it has to be associated with something else i.e. ultimate frisbee...something that keeps me running but keeps me from thinking about running) and I've got an issue getting back into shape.

So after all of that, I'm getting to my point. A friend of mine (who is in ridiculously good shape...bikes a few hundred miles a week) has been pushing me to join a Brazilian Ju-Jitsu that he's taking. This was a thought that I had be pondering for a while, since I figured it'd be cool, but after hearing him talk about some of the stuff they do (and some of what I've read on this site), it also sounds like a good way to whip your ass into shape.

That said, in my current state, would it be a poor decision to jump into a class like that? Let me put it this way: do I need to be in shape to do something like a BJJ class or can I use it as a tool to whip my ass into shape?

Also, any other suggestions as far as finding something that isn't just lifting and running to get into shape are more than welcomed.
It really depends on what Gym you go to as far as the BJJ is concerned. Dont be afraid to ask them.

Try finding an active sport to get you back in shape...it'll actually be a fun way to do what needs to be done.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-18-2008, 10:55 PM
Scared s**tless

Some of the most intense cardio you can imagine if you are going balls-to-the-wall... the calorie burn on that stuff is ~ 1,000 an hour.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarrisonBT
I sound shit out man, lol. Firefox didnt have a suggestion. I figure A) I'm waay too far off, or B) It's spanish, and Firefox is an English Fox.

I facepalm myself.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-19-2008, 12:07 AM Thread Starter
Aspiring Bean Counter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DON SVO
Some of the most intense cardio you can imagine if you are going balls-to-the-wall... the calorie burn on that stuff is ~ 1,000 an hour.
I was surprised when he said that the warmups (something dealing with moving between an attack and defensive position over and over again) had him pretty dogged. This guy isn't some ridiculous physical specimen, but he's certainly the most in shape cardio-wise of anyone I know personally. He also happens to drive an SVO, which is hilarious.

I think what I'm going to do is give the gym he's working out at a call tomorrow and see who I can talk to up there about what options I'd have as far as that goes. I want to get in shape really bad, but maintaining motivation and staying on course is gonna be a bitch.

post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-19-2008, 12:19 AM
Punk Ass Newbie

A lot of people make the mistake of thinking that they have to be in good shape to start BJJ. I've spoke weight lifters who were in good shape complain about muscle soreness after a BJJ class. whether you are in good shape or not, BJJ will more than likely have you pretty tired by the end of class when you are new.

When you first start to grapple, you might feel awkward and try to use every ounce of force you have every time you roll. this is usually what has you sore the next morning

MMA HAS BECOME FULL CIRCLE
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-19-2008, 09:20 AM
Lifer

Yea I lift weights 3x a week and I was sore after every class
Sponsored Links
Advertisement