So, I finally made the decision to join a gym... - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 29 (permalink) Old 02-10-2008, 03:46 PM Thread Starter
Narcissistic fade away

So, I finally made the decision to join a gym...

DAMN. Yesterday was my first "workout", I lasted all of an hour or so. Today, I am dyin' over here.

I'm not sure on the gym hours, but I kinda wanted to work out in the morning - but again, I am not sure if they are open that early. So, I might have to be working out in the evenings.

So, what is a "good" routine for a newb? One of the guys I work with is a fitness NERD. I mean that in a good way, he's mid 40's and lean and cut like no other..but he follows a strict routine, eats super healthy etc. He's mentioned weights mon,wed, and fri - cardio on tue/thurs. So, I get a lot of ideas from him.

The "good" thing about this gym, (it's a community gym) is that it's only .7/mile from my house. So, I could potentially, "kill 2 birds with one stone" so to speak...

Keeping the distance from the gym in mind, is that amount of cardio worth considering in the routine workout if I can only workout 4-5 times a week? What sort of routine would be best with this in mind?

So far, in the past month - I've 98% quit drinking softdrinks. I drink mainly water during the day, sometimes tea with no or very little sugar. I've started eating oatmeal in the mornings and an apple, orange or bananna for a snack at mid day. Today, for the first time - I ate a plain canned chicken sandwich with mustard.

I can't believe I've gone this long in this bad of shape, but I guess you have to start somewhere.

Any tips, workout routines, eating habbit ideas are appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 (permalink) Old 02-10-2008, 03:52 PM
Scared s**tless

What are your goals? I lift heavy 4-5 days a week, eat 3,000+ calories a day and don't touch cardio right now... I am trying to gain weight. However, when I start cutting weight for this contest, it changes. I'll lift 4 days a week with more higher-rep oriented exercises, run 5 days a week, and rearrange my diet into a caloric deficit (2,000-2,100 a day). The goal is to drop 1 pound a week for 9-10 weeks, while maintaining muscle gains.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarrisonBT
I sound shit out man, lol. Firefox didnt have a suggestion. I figure A) I'm waay too far off, or B) It's spanish, and Firefox is an English Fox.

I facepalm myself.
post #3 of 29 (permalink) Old 02-10-2008, 03:56 PM Thread Starter
Narcissistic fade away

Goals? Pfft, be in shape. I'm not out to get in any contests or anything like that. I just want to lose about 10-20 lbs and get some muscle tone back.

I'm ashamed to say that I weighed in at 185ish, but I'd like to be around 165 or so, again, with some sort of tone.

post #4 of 29 (permalink) Old 02-10-2008, 04:14 PM
Scared s**tless

If you want to do it right, eat 5-6 meals a day and stick to a 1,800 calorie diet with as much of it being protein as possible. Learn to like fish and chicken, avoid red meat, no sodas/beer/added salt. Avoid anything with high fructose corn syrup. Run 30-45 minutes 5 days a week, preferably in the morning. sart working out with 2 muscle groups per day, 3 days a week minimum (I like giving shoulders and legs their own days, doing abs on those days as well)

EX: Back & Biceps monday, Shoulders & Triceps Wednesday, Legs and Shoulders Frisay, weekend off (except cardio). Do calves on mondays, abs on wednesday.

That would be a good basic starting schedule, and easy to keep... You only have to realistically go to the gym 3 days a week.

My schedule: Chest and triceps monday (abs), Back and Biceps wednesday (abs), Shoulders and Calves Thursday, Deadlift fridays (abs), Legs saturday

How serious do you want to get? You could re-read some of the older nutrition threads here and see what Aaron and I have posted about food logs, calorie and macro-nutrient counting...

Quote:
I sound shit out man, lol. Firefox didnt have a suggestion. I figure A) I'm waay too far off, or B) It's spanish, and Firefox is an English Fox.

I facepalm myself.
post #5 of 29 (permalink) Old 02-10-2008, 04:21 PM Thread Starter
Narcissistic fade away

Quote:
Originally Posted by DON SVO
If you want to do it right, eat 5-6 meals a day and stick to a 1,800 calorie diet with as much of it being protein as possible. Learn to like fish and chicken, avoid red meat, no sodas/beer/added salt. Avoid anything with high fructose corn syrup. Run 30-45 minutes 5 days a week, preferably in the morning. sart working out with 2 muscle groups per day, 3 days a week minimum (I like giving shoulders and legs their own days, doing abs on those days as well)

EX: Back & Biceps monday, Shoulders & Triceps Wednesday, Legs and Shoulders Frisay, weekend off (except cardio). Do calves on mondays, abs on wednesday.

That would be a good basic starting schedule, and easy to keep... You only have to realistically go to the gym 3 days a week.

My schedule: Chest and triceps monday (abs), Back and Biceps wednesday (abs), Shoulders and Calves Thursday, Deadlift fridays (abs), Legs saturday

How serious do you want to get? You could re-read some of the older nutrition threads here and see what Aaron and I have posted about food logs, calorie and macro-nutrient counting...
I don't mind fish or chicken at all. I just wish I had someone near me who would work out with me to keep me motivated. It's tough to do by myself.

I guess the parts I have the most questions about are supplements and what I should be using.

I've been reading some of the older threads, but I just got started.
post #6 of 29 (permalink) Old 02-10-2008, 04:35 PM
Scared s**tless

Starting out, the only supplement you should consider would be glutamine, a good multi vitamin, and whey protein. Protein shakes are used for my 2nd and 4th meals.

Quote:

I facepalm myself.
post #7 of 29 (permalink) Old 02-10-2008, 04:40 PM
Hired Hand

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbostang
Goals? Pfft, be in shape.
Not a good answer. Even "I just want to lose about 10-20 lbs and get some muscle tone back" is way too vague, and leaves you wide open for failure. It takes forethought and a plan of attack, and without that plan you have no sense of direction. 4 weeks is plenty of time to make a visible change, what is your goal for the next month?

Raven 2006 Yamaha R6S

"If it has horsepower or tits you're gonna have trouble with it eventually..."
post #8 of 29 (permalink) Old 02-10-2008, 05:23 PM
Lifer

Quote:
I don't mind fish or chicken at all. I just wish I had someone near me who would work out with me to keep me motivated. It's tough to do by myself.

I guess the parts I have the most questions about are supplements and what I should be using.

I've been reading some of the older threads, but I just got started.
Where do you live Brooks?
I wouldn't mind making you cry.
post #9 of 29 (permalink) Old 02-10-2008, 05:29 PM
Still #1 ASSHOLE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stangin4Lyfe
I don't think he is interested in being a BSB. .....

R.I.P.
Kori Leigh Fillingham
11-20-01

Always loved
&
Never Forgotten
post #10 of 29 (permalink) Old 02-10-2008, 05:40 PM
Lifer

Congratulations on taking that first step. I joined my first time just two months ago. There is a ton of information available and to learn if the desire is there. For me, it's a matter of having some professional direction (a trainer for 3 months) and hopefully a better bill of health this summer. Best wishes.
post #11 of 29 (permalink) Old 02-10-2008, 06:31 PM Thread Starter
Narcissistic fade away

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Raven
Not a good answer. Even "I just want to lose about 10-20 lbs and get some muscle tone back" is way too vague, and leaves you wide open for failure. It takes forethought and a plan of attack, and without that plan you have no sense of direction. 4 weeks is plenty of time to make a visible change, what is your goal for the next month?

I agree that it is probably way too vague. I don't have a sense of feel for what I should be looking for - if that makes any sense at all. I'm 5'7" tall, I'd like to be close to 165 and lean.

So, I guess, the first goal would be to lose the 20 lbs or so - from then on, I'll look for muscle tone etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stangin4Lyfe
LOL, I am in NW FTW. Where are you ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PonyFever
Congratulations on taking that first step. I joined my first time just two months ago. There is a ton of information available and to learn if the desire is there. For me, it's a matter of having some professional direction (a trainer for 3 months) and hopefully a better bill of health this summer. Best wishes.
Thanks!
post #12 of 29 (permalink) Old 02-10-2008, 07:34 PM
Hired Hand

Quote:
So, I guess, the first goal would be to lose the 20 lbs or so
Cut off your left leg. Done.

Raven 2006 Yamaha R6S

post #13 of 29 (permalink) Old 02-10-2008, 07:37 PM
Hired Hand

Seriously though, clean up your diet. If you drink cokes, switch to diet or water, and that's 10lbs right there. Cut the alcohol, and there's your other 10lbs. Maintain that for 3 months, and then we can discuss muscle tone.

Raven 2006 Yamaha R6S

post #14 of 29 (permalink) Old 02-10-2008, 08:13 PM Thread Starter
Narcissistic fade away

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Raven
Seriously though, clean up your diet. If you drink cokes, switch to diet or water, and that's 10lbs right there. Cut the alcohol, and there's your other 10lbs. Maintain that for 3 months, and then we can discuss muscle tone.

Well, like I mentioned above, I've just about completely quit drinking sodas all together. I have 1-2 during the week and the same on the weekends. This is coming down from about 3-4 a day. Now I drink almost all water, and some orange juice.

I don't drink but maaaaybe once a month, if that. So alchohol isn't a factor.
post #15 of 29 (permalink) Old 02-10-2008, 08:39 PM

good luck with getting in shape. Then you can get on a fighting thread
post #16 of 29 (permalink) Old 02-10-2008, 08:41 PM

Taking steriods typically works best for me. You should see how big my beer arm is and my remote control thumb is.
post #17 of 29 (permalink) Old 02-10-2008, 09:07 PM
Cummins > Powerstroke

Sounds good Brooks. I just made the same decision you did a couple weeks ago. So far in 2 weeks, I have lost about 1.5" in my stomach, and the waist is a bit thinner. Big thing is diet along with the exercise. Lots of cardio (I prefer the elliptical machines over running on a treadmill).

http://mayoclinic.com/health/calorie-calculator/NU00598

Use that calorie calculator and determine about how many calories you need to maintain your current weight. Then try and subtract 500 calories a day from that through diet and exercise. Im supposed to eat 2200 calories a day. Im eating under 1800 and burning 300-400 calories a day on the elliptical, so Im 700-800 calories negative a day. A pound of fat is around 3500 calories...so in theory if Im negative 700-800 calories a day, I should be losing 1lb of fat every 5 days. Its give or take. Try and keep track of your calories. Been successful so far. I havent lost any body weight because I have lost fat and gained muscle. So, dont always go for body weight as a goal. If the gym has a way to measure body fat, go by that. You want to drop your BMI, not necessarily weight.

2006 Dodge Ram Megacab Cummins
1969 Mustang Coupe
1969 Mustang Mach1
1969 Chevy C10
1966 Mustang Coupe
post #18 of 29 (permalink) Old 02-10-2008, 09:07 PM
Very Interesting

boo to all of this don't drink stuff!

You're only as strong as you allow yourself to be...

Lockout Workout Forums and Supplements
post #19 of 29 (permalink) Old 02-10-2008, 09:17 PM Thread Starter
Narcissistic fade away

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8mpg
Sounds good Brooks. I just made the same decision you did a couple weeks ago. So far in 2 weeks, I have lost about 1.5" in my stomach, and the waist is a bit thinner. Big thing is diet along with the exercise. Lots of cardio (I prefer the elliptical machines over running on a treadmill).

http://mayoclinic.com/health/calorie-calculator/NU00598

Use that calorie calculator and determine about how many calories you need to maintain your current weight. Then try and subtract 500 calories a day from that through diet and exercise. Im supposed to eat 2200 calories a day. Im eating under 1800 and burning 300-400 calories a day on the elliptical, so Im 700-800 calories negative a day. A pound of fat is around 3500 calories...so in theory if Im negative 700-800 calories a day, I should be losing 1lb of fat every 5 days. Its give or take. Try and keep track of your calories. Been successful so far. I havent lost any body weight because I have lost fat and gained muscle. So, dont always go for body weight as a goal. If the gym has a way to measure body fat, go by that. You want to drop your BMI, not necessarily weight.
Thanks for the link Tim.

How are you supposed to calculate caloric intake if you are overweight? Do you calculate based on what weight you should or want to be or do you calculate based on actual weight?
post #20 of 29 (permalink) Old 02-10-2008, 09:18 PM Thread Starter
Narcissistic fade away

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Big Matt
boo to all of this don't drink stuff!
I know! On a "busy" month, I'll have a Margarita on Saturday nights.. that's about the extent of it - unless it's Christmas time and the DFWStangs Christmas party is happenin'!
post #21 of 29 (permalink) Old 02-10-2008, 09:23 PM
Cummins > Powerstroke

Quote:
Thanks for the link Tim.

How are you supposed to calculate caloric intake if you are overweight? Do you calculate based on what weight you should or want to be or do you calculate based on actual weight?
enter in your current numbers..that calculator will spit out what you need to maintain your current weight. Then if you want to lose weight, you subtract. If you want to gain, you add calories.

Im overweight (17.9% body fat).. 5' 9" 170lbs. The calculator at 24, 5'9" and 170 with an inactive lifestyle says I need 2200 calories/day. So I just subtract atleast 500 and then base how many calories I eat and how much I work out off of that. Obviously the more calories you are negative the better...just need to make sure you are not starving yourself and you are working out, or you will lose muscle mass.

2006 Dodge Ram Megacab Cummins
1969 Mustang Coupe
1969 Mustang Mach1
1969 Chevy C10
1966 Mustang Coupe
post #22 of 29 (permalink) Old 02-10-2008, 11:41 PM
Scared s**tless

generally, a 10:1 ratio of calories with an active lifestyle (i.e. jogging or elliptical) is a deficit enough to make you start losing weight.

Quote:

I facepalm myself.
post #23 of 29 (permalink) Old 02-10-2008, 11:58 PM
Time Served

Dude. I quit drinking sodas and eating "crap" and ive lost 13lbs since the new year.

I workout 3 to 4 times a week and cardio at the end of the workout. 30min.

just doing that has made my body feel alot better.

i was 227 when i started. 214 right now . 5'6.

hopefully i will be in the 170's by june.

I prob could have lost more but im not living like a rabbit. And drinking out of Clifton's keg isn't helping much either.

One day at a time.
post #24 of 29 (permalink) Old 02-11-2008, 08:36 AM Thread Starter
Narcissistic fade away

Well.. It looks like I'll have a workout partner, my neighbor is supposed to join the same gym. We'll see later today.
post #25 of 29 (permalink) Old 02-11-2008, 09:37 AM
Ide fuck her in the ass..

good luck brooks, I've lost a total of 70lbs, I workout about 5 times a week, about an hour of cardio a day, a real light workout of my arms every other day, and I basically eat chicken 4-5 times a week, and a lot of fruits and veggies...

WTB: At&T phone... pm me what ya got...

Best Car Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote
post #26 of 29 (permalink) Old 02-11-2008, 09:46 AM Thread Starter
Narcissistic fade away

Damn Fred, that is awesome progress. How long have you been working out, eating good etc?
post #27 of 29 (permalink) Old 02-13-2008, 02:35 PM
Sir Clavin

you need to figure out your nutrition. Just eating "clean" won't neccesarily do your body good. With eating fruits/oatmeal, and a canned chicken sandwich with mustard, etc. you probably will be on a major calorie deficit. You also will be subtracting important fats in your diet.
post #28 of 29 (permalink) Old 02-13-2008, 02:42 PM Thread Starter
Narcissistic fade away

Quote:
Originally Posted by [CS]ls1haha
you need to figure out your nutrition. Just eating "clean" won't neccesarily do your body good. With eating fruits/oatmeal, and a canned chicken sandwich with mustard, etc. you probably will be on a major calorie deficit. You also will be subtracting important fats in your diet.

Thanks for the tip. Like I mentioned above - I work with a personal traier, but he's too far away to work out with. He's been givin' me ideas, etc.. The diet will be my next wave of questions!
post #29 of 29 (permalink) Old 02-13-2008, 04:20 PM
Time Served

sweet welcome to the party!!! Im needing major help with my diet and Im FUGGIN lazy and dont wanna cook my meals nemore.

<--pathetic! yeah I know.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement