Run before or after - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-22-2008, 01:03 PM Thread Starter
Lifer

Run before or after

Working out? so what are ya'lls opinions on that? who runs before and who runs after working out?

shm short block, vortech s trim, 3.55's, AFM power pipe,etc..
S/c cobra (me) vs N20 cobra race 2

S/c Cobra vs N2O Cobra Race 3
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-22-2008, 01:18 PM
SEB
CAPTAIN CAVEMAN AGGGWHOOO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schargedcobra97
Working out? so what are ya'lls opinions on that? who runs before and who runs after working out?

I always ALWAYS run after my work out with the weights. I hear you burn more calories. But not sure. I just know that after running 2.5 miles. I am so sweaty I don't even want to stand & lift weights while sweat is dripping everywhere. But thats just me.

GOD BLESS TEXAS

August Landscaping
214-779-7278
post #3 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-22-2008, 02:57 PM
Lifer

I usually run afterwards just because I don't feel like running when I get there

post #4 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-22-2008, 03:06 PM Thread Starter
Lifer

I too have read that you burn more calories running after working out... but for some reason I feel I workout harder if I run first. I just started to run before working out about 2 weeks ago, so maybe its just a nice change up to my routine

post #5 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-22-2008, 03:09 PM
Lifer

I run before

--wes
post #6 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-22-2008, 04:46 PM
Hired Hand

Running prior to weight training will burn up much needed glycogen stores, and adversely affect your workout. When lifting before cardio, you get your metabolism up, and are able to get into the fat-burning zone much quicker, and you are still able to give 100% under the iron.

Raven 2006 Yamaha R6S

"If it has horsepower or tits you're gonna have trouble with it eventually..."
post #7 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-22-2008, 04:50 PM
not exclude

Cardio first will adversely affect your lifting
lifting first will not adversely affect your cardio

Lift first and then run, or run on your off days.
post #8 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-22-2008, 04:56 PM

i always run after
post #9 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-22-2008, 08:14 PM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Jay
i always run after
X2
post #10 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-22-2008, 08:16 PM

Before to get your body moving and loose.
post #11 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-22-2008, 09:03 PM
Rookie

neither for me, but if i did run it'd be after for sure.

87 LX Hatch -- Project 302 [email protected] -- 4 Sale
89 4 eye coupe (Grayhorse)
07 Harley Truck S/C
08 G-37S
LockoutSupplements.com
post #12 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-22-2008, 09:28 PM
Hired Hand

Quote:
Originally Posted by Landon_Liles
Before to get your body moving and loose.
A 5 minute brisk walk would be beunless beneficial in geting your blood moving a little, but unless you are doing legs that day, there's no "getting loose" being done. We aren't talking about walking anyway, we are talking about burning fat, and to do so you have to burn through your glycogen stores first. I've even read a couple studies that said that full on stretching can be detrimental to your lifts. Lightly stretch the joints being worked if you must, but a light set or two isa plenty to get the area ready to lift heavy.

To be most efficient, you should do cardio in the morning before breakfast. This will raise your metabolism all day, and you'll be plenty recovered to lift in the afternoon/evening.

Raven 2006 Yamaha R6S

post #13 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-22-2008, 09:42 PM
Lifer

I'm new to this whole fitness regime so I can only share what my trainer has me doing so far. Warm up is 15 minutes sustained HR of 144 (80% max for 40 year class) on the stationary bike. Then we do the weight/machine circuit and end with another 15 minutes either on the treadmill or bike, still at 144 HR. It's easier for me to maintain the HR on the bike for some reason. When I can finally do this on my own, I think I'd like to run afterwards anyways.
post #14 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-22-2008, 10:01 PM
Ide fuck her in the ass..

i run for an hour before, and then do a light workout, im not trying to gain any mass...

WTB: At&T phone... pm me what ya got...

Best Car Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote
post #15 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-22-2008, 10:29 PM
Cummins > Powerstroke

very interesting... I have been running first, then working out. Gonna try and switch it around for the rest of the week.

2006 Dodge Ram Megacab Cummins
1969 Mustang Coupe
1969 Mustang Mach1
1969 Chevy C10
1966 Mustang Coupe
post #16 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-23-2008, 10:09 AM Thread Starter
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Raven
A 5 minute brisk walk would be beunless beneficial in geting your blood moving a little, but unless you are doing legs that day, there's no "getting loose" being done. We aren't talking about walking anyway, we are talking about burning fat, and to do so you have to burn through your glycogen stores first. I've even read a couple studies that said that full on stretching can be detrimental to your lifts. Lightly stretch the joints being worked if you must, but a light set or two isa plenty to get the area ready to lift heavy.

To be most efficient, you should do cardio in the morning before breakfast. This will raise your metabolism all day, and you'll be plenty recovered to lift in the afternoon/evening.
I too have read that. Normally I jog for 5 minutes, lift, then run for 30. I just felt my workout had become stagnant so I decided to change it up. but if it is less beneficial I should switch back.

post #17 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-23-2008, 10:49 AM
SEB

I tried running a mile & half this morning before lifting & let me tell you. I FELT ALOT BETTER IN MY LIFTS. I felt like I had more energy & my reps & form where more crisp & correct, Now looking back at it. I will from here on out split up my run from here on out.

Good tip guys on running before. You do feel more alive & have alot more energy for lifting.

GOD BLESS TEXAS

August Landscaping
214-779-7278
post #18 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-23-2008, 10:55 AM
Hired Hand

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEB
I tried running a mile & half this morning before lifting & let me tell you. I FELT ALOT BETTER IN MY LIFTS. I felt like I had more energy & my reps & form where more crisp & correct, Now looking back at it. I will from here on out split up my run from here on out.

Good tip guys on running before. You do feel more alive & have alot more energy for lifting.

Which is fine as long as your calorie intake is high enough to support the additional cardio. There is nothing "wrong" with running first, especially if you are an endurance athlete, but if size and strength are your primary concern, you will most definitely notice a negative effect when you start cutting calories o burn bodyfat. Your strength will decline faster, and you won't lose the fat as fast.

Raven 2006 Yamaha R6S

post #19 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-23-2008, 10:57 AM
Time Served

I run 2 miles a day and then work out 3 days a week. (Before)

Mustang RIP
PANTERA 4 EVER!!

Last edited by ZZ281; 01-23-2008 at 11:02 AM.
post #20 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-23-2008, 10:58 AM
SEB

Quote:
Which is fine as long as your calorie intake is high enough to support the additional cardio. There is nothing "wrong" with running first, especially if you are an endurance athlete, but if size and strength are your primary concern, you will most definitely notice a negative effect when you start cutting calories o burn bodyfat. Your strength will decline faster, and you won't lose the fat as fast.

Well I need to burn off more calories & try & cut down to 195 after Feb 2nd. I am right at 220 as of today. I want to get my muscles more tone & get more power rather then size. I have been doing less weight & trying to do more reps.

GOD BLESS TEXAS

August Landscaping
214-779-7278
post #21 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-23-2008, 11:51 AM
Hired Hand

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEB
Well I need to burn off more calories & try & cut down to 195 after Feb 2nd. I am right at 220 as of today. I want to get my muscles more tone & get more power rather then size. I have been doing less weight & trying to do more reps.

Any time you try to cut weight that quickly you'll definitely have to sacrifice some lean mass and strength, so I don't suppose there is any good way to do it.

Get off the hose and you'll be 195lbs in no time...

Raven 2006 Yamaha R6S

post #22 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-23-2008, 11:52 AM
Sir Clavin

Quote:
Running prior to weight training will burn up much needed glycogen stores, and adversely affect your workout. When lifting before cardio, you get your metabolism up, and are able to get into the fat-burning zone much quicker, and you are still able to give 100% under the iron.
word.

I do something simple to get my heart going first like a few minutes on an elliptical machine or something. Stretch, then warmup set, then get into the weights heavy. By the time I complete my lifting, without too much rest in between sets my heart is going pretty good. I try to follow each lifting session with 20-30 minutes low intensity cardio and keep my heart rate between 130-150.
post #23 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-23-2008, 12:03 PM
SEB

Quote:
Any time you try to cut weight that quickly you'll definitely have to sacrifice some lean mass and strength, so I don't suppose there is any good way to do it.

Get off the hose and you'll be 195lbs in no time...

I really have no set date I have to cut down to 195, Just want to get down to that weight for competetion. I don't think I can slim up to 170 for welter weight. I think 185 is gonna be my best bet

What do you mean the hose? UGH

GOD BLESS TEXAS

August Landscaping
214-779-7278
post #24 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-24-2008, 03:31 AM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEB
I really have no set date I have to cut down to 195, Just want to get down to that weight for competetion. I don't think I can slim up to 170 for welter weight. I think 185 is gonna be my best bet

What do you mean the hose? UGH
Seb, if you walk at 200-205 then you can cut to weigh in at 185.

post #25 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-24-2008, 07:15 AM
LUCIFER

Run after your workout is the thing to do

2004 GT Conv't

MODS:
FLOWS, 3.73'S, BASSANI O/R X-PIPE, ACCUFAB 75MM TB, PLENUM, AND VORTECH V-3 SUPERCHARGED

post #26 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-24-2008, 10:00 AM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by wesman
I run before

--wes

I changed this up and started working out before, the lifting did seem to be easier and I definitely feel like I got a better workout. It did make the run harder, I felt a little more tired than usual.

--wes
post #27 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-24-2008, 10:20 AM
SEB

I walk around on the norm at 220 to 215 dependning if its morning or evening. I am starting to lose the weight & see my abs again & running is really helping alot.

I have been trying the Running 1.5 miles before my work out & doing the other 1.5 after my workout which is a total time of 30 mins on the tread mill. I try & run outside at the 1/4 mile track at the school. But its been to cold.

I can tell that in my run after my work out my breathing is more labored after the workout which means maybe I am burning more calories after the work out. BUt I really like breaking up my run alot better rather then trying to do it all at once & dying on the tread mill for the last mile. I feel like I push myself harder with the run broken up. I have got my mile time down to 7 mins & 15 seconds on the tread mill set at 8.0 & I work up to 9.5 on the last Half mile.

GOD BLESS TEXAS

August Landscaping
214-779-7278
post #28 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-24-2008, 10:55 AM
Hired Hand

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEB
I walk around on the norm at 220 to 215 dependning if its morning or evening. I am starting to lose the weight & see my abs again & running is really helping alot.

I have been trying the Running 1.5 miles before my work out & doing the other 1.5 after my workout which is a total time of 30 mins on the tread mill. I try & run outside at the 1/4 mile track at the school. But its been to cold.

I can tell that in my run after my work out my breathing is more labored after the workout which means maybe I am burning more calories after the work out. BUt I really like breaking up my run alot better rather then trying to do it all at once & dying on the tread mill for the last mile. I feel like I push myself harder with the run broken up. I have got my mile time down to 7 mins & 15 seconds on the tread mill set at 8.0 & I work up to 9.5 on the last Half mile.

It takes a good 20 minutes for your body to burn through the glycogen and get into burning fat for fuel, you need to do all 30 minutes at once to really maximize your reselts. Even doing all 30 minutes before you lift would burn more fat than splitting it up like that, though I recommend doing cardio after, or first thing in the morning.

Raven 2006 Yamaha R6S

post #29 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-24-2008, 01:33 PM
Dead Stop Bobby :D

lifting and then cardio.. worked for me plenty of times.. you burn will burn more calories after lifting.. the "hard" part is just getting the motivation to hit the treadmill/Eliptical/Bikes after a strenuous work out!
post #30 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-24-2008, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Da Prez
i run for an hour before, and then do a light workout, im not trying to gain any mass...
same here plus if i workout first my muscles are so sore that its hard to run
post #31 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-25-2008, 12:42 PM
Worship me

Running before reduces my strength for lifting. I can run a lot farther if I run first. Also, my heart rates stays elevated during the lifting as well as a few hours after.

Running after means I can't run as far, I've burned up some energy from lifting. And my heart rate seems to go down quicker.

I try to do a little of each really.
post #32 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-25-2008, 12:45 PM
Lifer

I dropped weight faster running after my weight lifting then I did when I was running before. I went from 235 to 215 running before and couldn't drop anymore, switch to after and went down to 202lbs. Now I'm back at 223, I am starting to go back to the gym.

Photobucket
post #33 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-27-2008, 10:50 AM
Horsepower Extractor

Before because I'll skip it if I don't.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement