Fruit Juice vs Soda - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 36 (permalink) Old 01-21-2008, 05:02 PM Thread Starter
You never go full retard

Fruit Juice vs Soda

So I'm really trying to back off and stop drinking soda. As of right now it's about 3-5 20oz bottles per week. I figured it would be a good way to cut out a little extra water weight besides the fact that it makes me thirsty. Is substituting fruit juice for soda any better or worse just as long as i'm getting pleanty of water?

Over five thousand years ago, Moses said to the children of Israel, "Pick up your shovel, mount your asses and camels, and I will lead you to the Promised Land." Nearly 75 years ago, Roosevelt said,"Lay down your shovels, sit on your asses, and light up a camel, this is the Promised Land." Now Obama has stolen your shovel..., taxed your asses, raised the price of camels and mortgaged the Promised Land!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 36 (permalink) Old 01-21-2008, 05:06 PM
Time Served

I've got the same problem! The Dr. told me that with the amount of sugar thats in most juices, its really not much better! He suggested some of the low- cal, flavored water, if I just had to have some flavor!

1980 Fairmont Coupe- Pro-Touring project
1995 Chevy Van "Da Mystery Machine"
1995 Dodge Ram- custom paint, lowered, 22z
1997 CBR 900 (custom paint, chromed, lowered, stretched)
2001 Impala
post #3 of 36 (permalink) Old 01-21-2008, 05:08 PM Thread Starter
You never go full retard

Yeah I was kinda afraid of that. Most of the flavored water I don't like. Guess it'll be just water then.

On a side note... anyone know a good exercise to get ride of weight around the neck? My neck is slowly starting to fill out and I don't like it.

Over five thousand years ago, Moses said to the children of Israel, "Pick up your shovel, mount your asses and camels, and I will lead you to the Promised Land." Nearly 75 years ago, Roosevelt said,"Lay down your shovels, sit on your asses, and light up a camel, this is the Promised Land." Now Obama has stolen your shovel..., taxed your asses, raised the price of camels and mortgaged the Promised Land!

post #4 of 36 (permalink) Old 01-21-2008, 05:11 PM
Hired Hand

It's good in the sense that juice doesn't have caffiene, but even the natural stuff is loaded with sugar. You'd be better off drinking water.

Raven 2006 Yamaha R6S

"If it has horsepower or tits you're gonna have trouble with it eventually..."
post #5 of 36 (permalink) Old 01-21-2008, 05:12 PM
Hired Hand

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotoMan
On a side note... anyone know a good exercise to get ride of weight around the neck? My neck is slowly starting to fill out and I don't like it.

Calories Out > Calories In

Raven 2006 Yamaha R6S

post #6 of 36 (permalink) Old 01-21-2008, 05:31 PM Thread Starter
You never go full retard

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Raven
Calories Out > Calories In

Is there a good number of calories I should be burning each day compaired to what I'm taking in? I'm 6 foot, and i stay between 175-185. I'm not solid muscle but I'm no where neat fat. I've got a little bit of a belly but fairly slim for the most part. I mean do i need to be burning 3000 calories a day if I take in 2000, like what's a good ratio for intake to burning?

post #7 of 36 (permalink) Old 01-21-2008, 05:40 PM
Hired Hand

Quote:
Is there a good number of calories I should be burning each day compaired to what I'm taking in? I'm 6 foot, and i stay between 175-185. I'm not solid muscle but I'm no where neat fat. I've got a little bit of a belly but fairly slim for the most part. I mean do i need to be burning 3000 calories a day if I take in 2000, like what's a good ratio for intake to burning?
A 500 calorie deficit will promote fat loss. I'd suggest starting around 1800 calories and adjust from there, depending on your level of activity.

Raven 2006 Yamaha R6S

post #8 of 36 (permalink) Old 01-21-2008, 05:43 PM Thread Starter
You never go full retard

Is there such thing as burning too many calories compaired to your calorie intake?

post #9 of 36 (permalink) Old 01-21-2008, 08:53 PM
Hired Hand

Yes, your body will go into starvation mode, and will actually start sdtoring calories as fat in preparation for the impending fast.
post #10 of 36 (permalink) Old 01-21-2008, 08:59 PM

go with water and buy redline or somthing like that it has tons of caffine which give u energry. just replacing all ur drinks with water u should make u lose a noticable amount of weight.
post #11 of 36 (permalink) Old 01-21-2008, 09:17 PM
Cummins > Powerstroke

Diet Dr Pepper

2006 Dodge Ram Megacab Cummins
1969 Mustang Coupe
1969 Mustang Mach1
1969 Chevy C10
1966 Mustang Coupe
post #12 of 36 (permalink) Old 01-21-2008, 09:35 PM
Wolverines!!!

water is best, but you can substitute sodas with decaf coffee or decaf tea from time to time for flavor's sake.
post #13 of 36 (permalink) Old 01-21-2008, 10:56 PM
Gun Nut- Got Lead?

x2 for the tea. You can still get a caffeine fix with no sugar. Avoid the fruit juice.
post #14 of 36 (permalink) Old 01-22-2008, 02:43 PM
SEB
CAPTAIN CAVEMAN AGGGWHOOO

I drink water & add Crystal light to it for flavor.

GOD BLESS TEXAS

August Landscaping
214-779-7278
post #15 of 36 (permalink) Old 01-23-2008, 01:01 AM Thread Starter
You never go full retard

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEB
I drink water & add Crystal light to it for flavor.
Does that have alot of sugar in it?

post #16 of 36 (permalink) Old 01-23-2008, 08:52 AM
SEB
CAPTAIN CAVEMAN AGGGWHOOO

Quote:
Does that have alot of sugar in it?

Nope it pretty much just adds flavor to your water. Good stuff if you don't like the taste of plain water. I hate the taste of water. So Crystal Light is my new best friend.

GOD BLESS TEXAS

August Landscaping
214-779-7278
post #17 of 36 (permalink) Old 01-23-2008, 09:00 AM
Time Served

have you ever tried the carbonated flavored waters...its pretty much like drinking a soda

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOSSIERDADDY
Cool!! how would i stroke a 302 ?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roscoe
very gently.
post #18 of 36 (permalink) Old 01-23-2008, 11:59 AM
Sir Clavin

snapple has some low cal "juices" with almost no sugar/calories and taste decent. of course, water is best.
post #19 of 36 (permalink) Old 01-24-2008, 12:15 AM Thread Starter
You never go full retard

Fellas thanks for the suggestions. I'm trying to switch to just water but it's hard drinking something with no flavor. SEB i'm definitely going to give the crystal light a shot and CS i'll check out some of the snapple.

post #20 of 36 (permalink) Old 01-24-2008, 01:43 AM
Time Served

Stay away from both. They both have way too much sugar. Try to drink unsweet tea or a diet drink if you just cannot handle water all of the time.
post #21 of 36 (permalink) Old 01-24-2008, 01:59 AM
I'm a GIRL.

The only plain water I can drink is Fiji and I don't know why. Fruit2o is flavored water. that tastes similar to Kool-Aid, but has 0 everything just like water.
post #22 of 36 (permalink) Old 01-24-2008, 07:18 AM
LUCIFER

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEB
Nope it pretty much just adds flavor to your water. Good stuff if you don't like the taste of plain water. I hate the taste of water. So Crystal Light is my new best friend.
I couldn't agree anymore, I can't stand water by itself but crystal light is pretty good.
Also, I'm a big soda drinker myself and I started buying those 8oz cans instead of 12oz cans and will drink one here & there. It really helps b/c it gives me my fix and one is enough for me.

2004 GT Conv't

MODS:
FLOWS, 3.73'S, BASSANI O/R X-PIPE, ACCUFAB 75MM TB, PLENUM, AND VORTECH V-3 SUPERCHARGED

post #23 of 36 (permalink) Old 01-24-2008, 06:21 PM
Time Served

Aquafina makes flavored water now, also. I'm a big soda drinker, but I'm kinda liking the Aquafina!

1980 Fairmont Coupe- Pro-Touring project
1995 Chevy Van "Da Mystery Machine"
1995 Dodge Ram- custom paint, lowered, 22z
1997 CBR 900 (custom paint, chromed, lowered, stretched)
2001 Impala
post #24 of 36 (permalink) Old 01-25-2008, 07:42 PM
NEOCON EDUCATOR

try minute maid "light" lemonade. It is only 5 calories per can with zero sugar and does not taste half bad.
post #25 of 36 (permalink) Old 01-25-2008, 09:05 PM
"Livin the good life"

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEB
yep same here. It kinda taste like cool aid and I think one whole pack has like 10 calories.
post #26 of 36 (permalink) Old 01-26-2008, 12:33 PM
Scared s**tless

I have had one Dr. Pepper since May, and it tasted like crap. Every now and then I'll have a diet coke, but I have had only that one single non-diet soda. I doubt I'll ever drink Dr. Pepper again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarrisonBT
I sound shit out man, lol. Firefox didnt have a suggestion. I figure A) I'm waay too far off, or B) It's spanish, and Firefox is an English Fox.

I facepalm myself.
post #27 of 36 (permalink) Old 01-26-2008, 02:45 PM
Lifer

I've been drinking a Pepsi a day for lunch longer than I care to remember. I tried replacing it with Gatoraid but one of the trainers said if you drink something like Gatoraid without working out, you can get too much of a good thing (salt for one thing), leading to things like diarreah (sp?). I'm going to try Lipton Green Tea for a while since it's supposed to have a bit of energy potency without much of the side effects. It is 80 calories though for those that count them.
post #28 of 36 (permalink) Old 01-26-2008, 02:50 PM
mannish boy

Diet Coke is nectar!

how the fuck can you not like water?!?!
post #29 of 36 (permalink) Old 01-26-2008, 04:50 PM
Scared s**tless

Quote:
Originally Posted by PonyFever
I've been drinking a Pepsi a day for lunch longer than I care to remember. I tried replacing it with Gatoraid but one of the trainers said if you drink something like Gatoraid without working out, you can get too much of a good thing (salt for one thing), leading to things like diarreah (sp?). I'm going to try Lipton Green Tea for a while since it's supposed to have a bit of energy potency without much of the side effects. It is 80 calories though for those that count them.
DUDE. 80 calories > 0 calories. If you're trying to lose some excess baggage, man up and drink diet cokes or water. Seriously. If you want to really get control of your weight, bite the fucking bullet and cut out all the shit you don't need.

I counted calories for several months, down to the chip/nut/tablespoon/ounce of milk. YES... count them all and be very very exact. You'll get to a point where you'll have it stored in your head to where you can pretty much look at a meal and know what you're about to get into. You can stop counting and writing them down, because you'll understand macronutrients and what you need/are getting.

I am trying to bulk up presently, and I've been at the gym like a fiend for 7 months now. Ever heard the phrase, "muscle eats calories"? Well, I am inhaling anything and everything I can find, getting between 2,600-3,200 calories a day, and In 6 weeks I've gained maybe 5 pounds depending on when I last took a crap. I am 5'6", I weigh 154lbs as of 30 minutes ago. I started my mini-bulk at 149lbs.

What I am getting at is that if you keep destroying the weights and lifting your ass off, your body will effectively use what you give it. The more muscle you gain, the more you have to feed it to make it grow and maintain. I'm not saying it's carte blanche to eat $30 worth of taco bell daily, but you can get away with so much more. Hell, I've made a 900ish calorie milkshake an almost daily part of my eating cycle after the gym to kick start this little mini-bulk, and have since a couple weeks after my dead lift meet. I upped my daily caloric intake by ~ 1,000cal/day. Every day. I've only gained about 6 pounds... all of my pants still fit like a charm on my waist: the only thing getting tighter are my shirts across the chest and my pants around the quads

BAD ASS BODIES START IN THE KITCHEN!

Quote:
I sound shit out man, lol. Firefox didnt have a suggestion. I figure A) I'm waay too far off, or B) It's spanish, and Firefox is an English Fox.

I facepalm myself.
post #30 of 36 (permalink) Old 01-26-2008, 05:09 PM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooter
how the fuck can you not like water?!?!
Thats what I said, I love water, I can drink all kinds of water..except for the shitty kind (Grand Prairie, Pantego).
post #31 of 36 (permalink) Old 01-26-2008, 09:14 PM
mannish boy

really though, just drink water... I love Diet Coke, but I've cut way down on it... it makes you hungry!

I've just been drinking water lately...

Diet Coke from a fountain might be the greatest drink on earth
post #32 of 36 (permalink) Old 01-27-2008, 08:33 AM
"Livin the good life"

Quote:
Originally Posted by DON SVO
DUDE. 80 calories > 0 calories. If you're trying to lose some excess baggage, man up and drink diet cokes or water. Seriously. If you want to really get control of your weight, bite the fucking bullet and cut out all the shit you don't need.

I counted calories for several months, down to the chip/nut/tablespoon/ounce of milk. YES... count them all and be very very exact. You'll get to a point where you'll have it stored in your head to where you can pretty much look at a meal and know what you're about to get into. You can stop counting and writing them down, because you'll understand macronutrients and what you need/are getting.

I am trying to bulk up presently, and I've been at the gym like a fiend for 7 months now. Ever heard the phrase, "muscle eats calories"? Well, I am inhaling anything and everything I can find, getting between 2,600-3,200 calories a day, and In 6 weeks I've gained maybe 5 pounds depending on when I last took a crap. I am 5'6", I weigh 154lbs as of 30 minutes ago. I started my mini-bulk at 149lbs.

What I am getting at is that if you keep destroying the weights and lifting your ass off, your body will effectively use what you give it. The more muscle you gain, the more you have to feed it to make it grow and maintain. I'm not saying it's carte blanche to eat $30 worth of taco bell daily, but you can get away with so much more. Hell, I've made a 900ish calorie milkshake an almost daily part of my eating cycle after the gym to kick start this little mini-bulk, and have since a couple weeks after my dead lift meet. I upped my daily caloric intake by ~ 1,000cal/day. Every day. I've only gained about 6 pounds... all of my pants still fit like a charm on my waist: the only thing getting tighter are my shirts across the chest and my pants around the quads

BAD ASS BODIES START IN THE KITCHEN!
Cliff notes please
I'm sure theres some good stuff there.
post #33 of 36 (permalink) Old 01-27-2008, 03:34 PM
Nobody

Stick with just water, its not that hard, tea is a good substitute, and a natural diuretic, so it will help process the excess water out, the caffeine is good to keep your metabolism up, don't even jack with diet drinks, they just make you crave more sugar so you will binge on it without even knowing you're doing that. drink a gallon of water a day and you will cut out a lot of weight.

New Project 1964 C10 350/700r4
post #34 of 36 (permalink) Old 01-27-2008, 06:23 PM
Scared s**tless

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperWho?
Stick with just water, its not that hard, tea is a good substitute, and a natural diuretic, so it will help process the excess water out, the caffeine is good to keep your metabolism up, don't even jack with diet drinks, they just make you crave more sugar so you will binge on it without even knowing you're doing that. drink a gallon of water a day and you will cut out a lot of weight.
How are you going binge on sugar without knowing it? Gonna go catatonic and wake up buck naked 7 hours later, not knowing where you are, covered in empty Pixie Sticks and sugar packets?

Quote:

I facepalm myself.
post #35 of 36 (permalink) Old 01-27-2008, 07:07 PM
not exclude

Quote:
How are you going binge on sugar without knowing it? Gonna go catatonic and wake up buck naked 7 hours later, not knowing where you are, covered in empty Pixie Sticks and sugar packets?
I've seen it happen
post #36 of 36 (permalink) Old 01-27-2008, 11:38 PM
Ja Ja Ja Ja JEW UNIT!!

Quote:
so my question is.. how do you know if it was REALLY sugar in the pixiesticks.. OR CHALK!!! MUHAHAHAA

D.
Pain, is weakness leaving the body.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement