protein shakes + building + weight loss? - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-09-2008, 11:33 AM Thread Starter
Time Served

protein shakes + building + weight loss?

is it possible? or should i focus on my weight loss then focus on my building. when should i do protein, both? ive been trying to do both for awhile now and im slowly but surely getting results, its just would it better better to do one at a time?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-09-2008, 11:57 AM
Old Fart

High protein diet of lean meat is better than supplements.

That being said, supplements can be beneficial, but don't look to them as your primary source of protein unless you have some food allergies. Might want to have blood work to see if you have any deficiencies.

Lifting weights increases your metabolism so it is good for weight loss.

Depending on your goals is what you should do. Paying a good trainer for 2-3 months can return big rewards if they are good. Especially if you are really new to exercising, weight management, muscle development, etc.

I liked the magazines for different techniques the bbuilders were doing for specific issues. Plus they have all the supplement ads in it to see what is out there.

I ate a lot of peanut butter, canned tuna, and broiled chicken when I was more serious about it. I did supplements: mainly multi-pack vitamins, Inositol and Lutein. I also took an E-vitamin thing you had to snort before working out. I can't remember what it was, but my workouts improved when I took it. And take l-Lysine because I have a deficiency. Never did the raw egg thing, but my dad used to put one in his beer. ;P

Paying close attention to how your body responds to different changes in your routine and diet. Experiment to you see what works for you.

Protein shakes: I like the low-carb EAS shakes, but not sure how they compete with what's on the market. They taste good. It is easier to stay with it if you enjoy it. They were a lot cheaper when I bought the packets in bulk instead of buying the little pre-made boxes.

"Don't taze me, bro."
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-09-2008, 12:31 PM

always lift weights no matter what the more muscle u have the more calires ur body burns to mantain it if u want to try and lose weight more weight try runing then hit ur weights when doing ur weights try doing a super curcit instead of resting in between reps try running for 2 minutes

post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-09-2008, 12:36 PM
AHMO!

Man I need to get back into lifting. I should head up to 24 hour this week or next Dan.
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-09-2008, 12:43 PM
Rookie

yes, it's possible. Some call it clean bulking.

87 LX Hatch -- Project 302 [email protected] -- 4 Sale
89 4 eye coupe (Grayhorse)
07 Harley Truck S/C
08 G-37S
LockoutSupplements.com
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-09-2008, 01:04 PM
Baller

possible...but a very very slow process. It's what I aim for in my workouts. Bulking while staying under 10% b/f is not an easy task at all. If you want to break it apart...bulk first, then lose weight.
post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-09-2008, 04:39 PM Thread Starter
Time Served

Quote:
Originally Posted by NaSSty Nate
Man I need to get back into lifting. I should head up to 24 hour this week or next Dan.
yeah that reminds me, i might have to cut back/change the meet times since im starting my p90x program 8-) let me know if u want a copy, ive had two friends do it and it is working great for them, but ill still be going to the gym
post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-09-2008, 04:40 PM Thread Starter
Time Served

i guess i should just keep on goin with the workouts and my cardio too
post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-09-2008, 04:40 PM
AHMO!

Quote:
Originally Posted by danthelion
yeah that reminds me, i might have to cut back/change the meet times since im starting my p90x program 8-) let me know if u want a copy, ive had two friends do it and it is working great for them, but ill still be going to the gym
Actually I do. Had a friend in Houston do it with some bad ass results too. What days can you/do you want to lift?

Last edited by Nate; 01-09-2008 at 04:46 PM.
post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-11-2008, 10:32 PM

aside to my main question, is it bad that i increased my cardio significantly this week (2 extra hours) and im gaining weight? i gained around 6 pounds this week. i have been taking protein shakes alot more... should i be worried that it'll be fat? i use dymatize whey protein.
post #11 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-12-2008, 12:41 AM
Punk Ass Newbie

protein shakes

it could be water retention but 4 best results try trembolone or winstrol perfect 4 lean mass gains
post #12 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-13-2008, 08:03 AM
Shut the Fuck up Donny

when cutting you are gonna need protein at least in the morning to bring you out of the catabolic state that you go into while sleeping. also pre workout... you take these to keep from losing muscle when you are cutting..

when bulking you need to consume good clean foods, six good meals a day, 1.5-2 grams protein per pound bodyweight everyday.

if your doing cardio to lose weight, you should switch to hiit(high intensity interval training) it has been proven to burn more fat than standard cardio while still not harming muscle.

"first of all........fuck you guys."
post #13 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-14-2008, 08:04 PM
Cummins > Powerstroke

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/newyearsguide.htm

just follow what those guys are doing... they are taking protein for the growth but the diet is very strict. They are also doing like 30 min of cardio a day and 20 min warmup before workouts. Just look at the pictures...they are doing something right. There are videos right now of a guy doing a 12 week workout. It explains the exercises and what exercises to add each week. Very informative.

Videos of the guy currently going through the 12 week program:
http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/12wktrans01.htm

2006 Dodge Ram Megacab Cummins
1969 Mustang Coupe
1969 Mustang Mach1
1969 Chevy C10
1966 Mustang Coupe
post #14 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-15-2008, 10:46 AM
Lifer

What is the p90X program?

1990 Mustang GT
306, typhoon intake, E303, stock heads, 1.6 FMS R.R., 70 T.B., 80mm PMAS, 42lb injectors, 255 fuel pump, adj. billet regulator, MSD dist., coil & 6A box, BBK shorties, o/r x-pipe, Spintech Pro Streets dumped, T-5, Center Force Dual Friction, 3.55's, S-Trim... 396hp/398trq
post #15 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-15-2008, 10:47 AM
Lifer

What is the p90X program?

1990 Mustang GT
306, typhoon intake, E303, stock heads, 1.6 FMS R.R., 70 T.B., 80mm PMAS, 42lb injectors, 255 fuel pump, adj. billet regulator, MSD dist., coil & 6A box, BBK shorties, o/r x-pipe, Spintech Pro Streets dumped, T-5, Center Force Dual Friction, 3.55's, S-Trim... 396hp/398trq
post #16 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-21-2008, 09:54 PM
Pink Taco KILLA!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT98SVO
High protein diet of lean meat is better than supplements.

That being said, supplements can be beneficial, but don't look to them as your primary source of protein unless you have some food allergies. Might want to have blood work to see if you have any deficiencies.

Lifting weights increases your metabolism so it is good for weight loss.

Depending on your goals is what you should do. Paying a good trainer for 2-3 months can return big rewards if they are good. Especially if you are really new to exercising, weight management, muscle development, etc.

I liked the magazines for different techniques the bbuilders were doing for specific issues. Plus they have all the supplement ads in it to see what is out there.

I ate a lot of peanut butter, canned tuna, and broiled chicken when I was more serious about it. I did supplements: mainly multi-pack vitamins, Inositol and Lutein. I also took an E-vitamin thing you had to snort before working out. I can't remember what it was, but my workouts improved when I took it. And take l-Lysine because I have a deficiency. Never did the raw egg thing, but my dad used to put one in his beer. ;P

Paying close attention to how your body responds to different changes in your routine and diet. Experiment to you see what works for you.

Protein shakes: I like the low-carb EAS shakes, but not sure how they compete with what's on the market. They taste good. It is easier to stay with it if you enjoy it. They were a lot cheaper when I bought the packets in bulk instead of buying the little pre-made boxes.
The best Protein shake out right now is the ON Pro Complex stuff. it also has the amino acids you need to help deliver the goodies to your muscles. 60G of protein there.

I take that, eat tuna with wheat crackers, oatmeal, apples, grilled chicken and fish, and my normal multivitamin. The Pro Complex stuff I only take one a day of. Its not half bad tasting either with water or milk and it doesnt leave you filling full.

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbostang
Mike.. If you go faster than a 6.4 it would be a miracle - unless you have a strong tail wind. That thing is gonna spit chicken bones everywhere..
Quote:
Originally Posted by Da Prez
ive come closer to 5's then you ever have, and will be deeper in the 5's then you will ever be...just tell me when you will be ready, ill be waiting...
post #17 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-21-2008, 09:57 PM
Pink Taco KILLA!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8mpg
http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/newyearsguide.htm

just follow what those guys are doing... they are taking protein for the growth but the diet is very strict. They are also doing like 30 min of cardio a day and 20 min warmup before workouts. Just look at the pictures...they are doing something right. There are videos right now of a guy doing a 12 week workout. It explains the exercises and what exercises to add each week. Very informative.

Videos of the guy currently going through the 12 week program:
http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/12wktrans01.htm

I already see a flaw in his program I don't like...Eating breakfast first...you see the fat on that guy...He's get plenty of stored up energy!!! Do cardio first thing in the am with maybe a protein shake and thats it.

1 minute normal pace, 1 minute dead sprint....Do that for 24 minutes. The pounds will drop along with weight training.

Quote:
Mike.. If you go faster than a 6.4 it would be a miracle - unless you have a strong tail wind. That thing is gonna spit chicken bones everywhere..
Quote:
ive come closer to 5's then you ever have, and will be deeper in the 5's then you will ever be...just tell me when you will be ready, ill be waiting...
post #18 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-21-2008, 09:59 PM
Pink Taco KILLA!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 96_power_ranger
when cutting you are gonna need protein at least in the morning to bring you out of the catabolic state that you go into while sleeping. also pre workout... you take these to keep from losing muscle when you are cutting..

when bulking you need to consume good clean foods, six good meals a day, 1.5-2 grams protein per pound bodyweight everyday.

if your doing cardio to lose weight, you should switch to hiit(high intensity interval training) it has been proven to burn more fat than standard cardio while still not harming muscle.
Excellent advice man. I like it. I do it myself and I've seen the results steady by doing so.

Quote:
Quote:
post #19 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-21-2008, 10:34 PM
NEOCON EDUCATOR

Do any of you guys ever worry about getting kidney stones from all the excessive protein ? I think for most people if you are eating right there is really not a need for protein supplement. I used to take "on" protein supplements as well as eating protein bars and I saw no difference in size or performance but I did end up in the hospital with a kidney stone. The daily recomended protein intake is .8 gram for every 2.2 lbs of body weight.

High Protein Diet - exceeding the daily maximum protein requirement

Most people meet their daily protein requirements by many times over. In addition there is a misconception that a high protein diet is helpful for training. High protein diets do not help improve muscle strength or aid in training. In fact, high protein diets can be harmful to your health. There is far more risk to your health from high protein diet than from low protein diet.

Proteins have a high amount of nitrogen. When nitrogen is broken down in the liver it creates ammonia. Ammonia is poisonous. The increased level of ammonia in the body is harmful to cells and may decrease atheletic performance.
Stress on kidneys occurs when more than 2 grams per kilogram of ideal body weight per day is consumed.
High levels of protein intake require increased amount of vitamin B6. It is possible to become deficient in vitamin B6 while using a high protein diet.
Calcium loss, which leads to osteoporosis, occurs with high levels of protein intake.
post #20 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-21-2008, 10:55 PM
Time Served

i was in this exact situation for a loong time and i finally found out what worked for me......i had some fat on me i wanted to get rid of and had a very hard time getting rid of it......but what ended up working was still lifting weight but really concentrating on abs and cardio......i ran alot and just turned up the cardio workout and then started eating better.....you can buy every supplement in the world but nothing can compare to just hard work and nutrition......but you have to WORK hard! push yourself harder every day drink a ton of water....and NO carbonated beverages.....i was also on some wiced fat burners (stimerex EX) i didnt like the fact that it does make you a little jittery because it has efedra but it did work....i bought a 4 months supply of it and lost all my fat and was cut after a month and a half.......then i just started drinking lots of protein, water, eating more but still good healthy food. and eating like 4 times a day plus shakes i still take my multi vitamins too but now im twice as stong gaining muscle still trying to gain weight but im in the best shape i have ever been......but i did learn most importantly try to cut all of your fat first before trying to gain mass.....other wise your stacking muscle over fat

2001 White GT
post #21 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-22-2008, 02:38 PM
Cummins > Powerstroke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beenfetchedlately
I already see a flaw in his program I don't like...Eating breakfast first...you see the fat on that guy...He's get plenty of stored up energy!!! Do cardio first thing in the am with maybe a protein shake and thats it.

1 minute normal pace, 1 minute dead sprint....Do that for 24 minutes. The pounds will drop along with weight training.
Professional trainers > you

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullet
Do any of you guys ever worry about getting kidney stones from all the excessive protein ? I think for most people if you are eating right there is really not a need for protein supplement. I used to take "on" protein supplements as well as eating protein bars and I saw no difference in size or performance but I did end up in the hospital with a kidney stone. The daily recomended protein intake is .8 gram for every 2.2 lbs of body weight.

Most people meet their daily protein requirements by many times over. In addition there is a misconception that a high protein diet is helpful for training. High protein diets do not help improve muscle strength or aid in training. In fact, high protein diets can be harmful to your health. There is far more risk to your health from high protein diet than from low protein diet.

Proteins have a high amount of nitrogen. When nitrogen is broken down in the liver it creates ammonia. Ammonia is poisonous. The increased level of ammonia in the body is harmful to cells and may decrease atheletic performance.
Stress on kidneys occurs when more than 2 grams per kilogram of ideal body weight per day is consumed.
High levels of protein intake require increased amount of vitamin B6. It is possible to become deficient in vitamin B6 while using a high protein diet.
Calcium loss, which leads to osteoporosis, occurs with high levels of protein intake.
Most kidney stones are from excess calcium deposits ultimately build a stone. Drinking plenty of water each day is the best thing you can do for it. Im doubting excess protein will hurt you, Im going to say 99% of professional bodybuilders are doing it and they have doctors watching their health. If it were harmful, people would not be using it

2006 Dodge Ram Megacab Cummins
1969 Mustang Coupe
1969 Mustang Mach1
1969 Chevy C10
1966 Mustang Coupe
post #22 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-22-2008, 05:08 PM
Pink Taco KILLA!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullet

No. I consulted with my Doctor today as a matter of fact because i thought I had one. Turned out to be a bad strain/spasm in my lower back area. As much water as I drink a day she said it was next to impossible for me to get one at my level.

I drink at least 5 16 oz bottles of water a day.

Quote:
Quote:
post #23 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-22-2008, 05:09 PM
Pink Taco KILLA!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8mpg
Professional trainers > you
Not so professional in his case when it's a proven fact the best time to do cardio is when you first wake up. Not after you eat.

Quote:
Quote:
post #24 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-22-2008, 05:26 PM
not exclude

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beenfetchedlately
Not so professional in his case when it's a proven fact the best time to do cardio is when you first wake up. Not after you eat.
Not fact, it's a topic that's widely disagreed upon with arguments going both ways.

FWIW, I never eat before morning workout simply because I feel sick if I do.
post #25 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-23-2008, 09:28 AM
Pink Taco KILLA!

Quote:
Originally Posted by exlude
Not fact, it's a topic that's widely disagreed upon with arguments going both ways.

FWIW, I never eat before morning workout simply because I feel sick if I do.
Thats also one of the reasons not to eat.

Quote:
Quote:
post #26 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-24-2008, 01:46 AM
Time Served

Quote:
Originally Posted by danthelion
is it possible? or should i focus on my weight loss then focus on my building. when should i do protein, both? ive been trying to do both for awhile now and im slowly but surely getting results, its just would it better better to do one at a time?
Try the Keto diet. If do correctly you can do both. Check out bodybuilding.com in the forums under Keto diet
http://forum.bodybuilding.com/forumdisplay.php?f=61

This should help bro
Sponsored Links
Advertisement