P90X Reviews or Advice humbly needed - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 34 (permalink) Old 12-17-2007, 09:56 PM Thread Starter

P90X Reviews or Advice humbly needed

Hi everyone. I was wondering if anyone had an opinion on the P90X program. I have reached a point in my life where I would like to dedicate more time to my physical fitness and well being. This includes nutrition. I humbly ask your thoughts or advice concerning the subject. Currently I am 6'1, 204, 35 inch waist. I thank you in advance for your advice.

p.s. I saw the P90x infomercial and was very impressed. I read some reviews and all seem to be very positive and have designated this program as very intensive. My question is, if it is realistic for someone in my position. Having said that, I am dedicated to making change and will value your thoughts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 34 (permalink) Old 12-19-2007, 02:14 PM

I've also been considering giving it a try. Infomercials can make everything look great though.

I wish I knew someone that has tried it out.
post #3 of 34 (permalink) Old 12-19-2007, 06:21 PM
JPS

My husband and I have been doing the program for 30 days now. I haven't lost weight but I have toned up an incredible amount. I've gone from 2 push ups a day to 60 push ups. Still can't do a pull up but I am now on the heavy resistance bands. I absolutely HATE the Plyometrics day. Jumping is not my thing but I noticed that when I went to the last concert, I jumped better in the mosh pit than I had before. I have actual triceps, biceps and my teacher wave is gone now! My favorite day is doing the Kenpo.

I plan on doing this the rest of my life. I know I need to follow the eating plan but.....for now, with the holidays.... having lost only 3 pounds is better than gaining.

Oh and keep in mind, I'm not in my 20s...... I'm an old fart.

JPS

post #4 of 34 (permalink) Old 12-21-2007, 06:53 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the feedback. What you say is what I have read on the web. Not much weight loss because you are replacing fat with muscle. I heard the ab ripper was hell but very efective. Congrats on making the change in your life, all the best.
post #5 of 34 (permalink) Old 12-22-2007, 07:40 AM
Banned

the thing I liked about the infomercial is how it doesn't BS you with "Use this 20 minutes a day a few times a week and you'll look like these people." It tells you that it's gonna take hard work and about an hour a day. Which, still seems short, but if you're minimizing rest time between sets, you can get a lot in.

I say give it a try. Following the diet plan will be key to success though.
post #6 of 34 (permalink) Old 12-24-2007, 10:15 AM
Time Served

my friend has it and i think he said after the first few weeks he had already cut around 6% body fat. apparently some of the workouts are pretty intense cause he threw up the first couple days lol .
post #7 of 34 (permalink) Old 12-27-2007, 03:10 PM
JPS

Well, I'm back from a 7 dat ski trip...never been before and heard it was hard on your body. I can tell you that I carried my own skis and my daughter's skis and had no issues at all. I never got sore, winded, tired, etc. My 19 year old son was tired the first day, sore the rest of the time....he doesn't like to work out.

The program is HARD. I absolutely hate Plyometrics but.....it does work. I am done with the holidays and ready to start a low cal/low fat diet and lose the weight. If you're ready to work hard, it will pay off. If you want an easy fix....this ain't it.

JPS
post #8 of 34 (permalink) Old 12-27-2007, 05:25 PM
Hired Hand

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPS
Well, I'm back from a 7 dat ski trip...never been before and heard it was hard on your body. I can tell you that I carried my own skis and my daughter's skis and had no issues at all. I never got sore, winded, tired, etc. My 19 year old son was tired the first day, sore the rest of the time....he doesn't like to work out.
Ironically I was up in Red River 2 weeks ago, and was in bed almost the entire trip.

Raven 2006 Yamaha R6S

"If it has horsepower or tits you're gonna have trouble with it eventually..."
post #9 of 34 (permalink) Old 12-27-2007, 10:48 PM
The Alpha Omega Frog

I know a couple of ppl that really like it. They follow the workout and are having good results. These are fellas that are already in shape and still think this program is challenging and worth the effort.

I don't feel like throwing up or passing out so I stick to my normal workout...

Y2K Supercharged Electric Green GT
The Dallas Diamonds
WPFL 3Peat Superbowl Champions 2004-06
IWFL 2008 Superbowl Champions
Captain*Mike/Sam*League All Pro 2004
Def/LB coach 06-08 season
Defensive Coordinator 09

Dallas Fire Rescue
post #10 of 34 (permalink) Old 12-31-2007, 01:13 PM Thread Starter

Good to hear your thoughts. I took the plunge and made the purchase. The kit includes a dvd set, nutrition planner and a complete workout guide. I watched the kenpo workout and was very encouraged by what I saw. Not only for the cardio aspect but the range of motion and flexibility I can look forward too. I don't want to start until I have all the bases covered. I have gone through the meal plan and targeted the foods I will include in a weekly diet routine. I have to purchase a chin up bar and supplements. They offer p90x supplements but I again ask your thoughts for a pre work out drink, after workout recovery drink, why protein product and protein bar product that will be both beneficial and edible, lol. I love the multi vitamin I take currently. I will be taking pics throughout my journey and logging my process.

My fiancee is also going to do the program with me at her pace. Is it possible for us to both take the same brand of supplements or do manufacturers gear their products for each gender? Happy New Year everyone!
post #11 of 34 (permalink) Old 01-01-2008, 03:48 PM
Time Served

A guy that I work with, who is in pretty decent shape, has it and he's saying it's an ass-whipping!!! He says it's definitely worth the price tag it comes with($100 i think). Thinking about giving it a try myself.

All Hope Is Gone
2007 Candy Red R1
post #12 of 34 (permalink) Old 01-03-2008, 09:23 PM

I too have seen the infomercials and have been impressed. Glad to know its an actual ass whoopin. I may fork out the dough for it as well.
post #13 of 34 (permalink) Old 01-06-2008, 07:37 PM Thread Starter

i am going to start this week. i will post if i can lift my arms or get ot of bed, lol.
post #14 of 34 (permalink) Old 01-10-2008, 10:36 AM
Lifer

I got it too...I am looking at getting some really good resistance bands....bodylastics is one I have seen and been impressed with. The product does not look cheap. LMK if any of you have them.

Cowboys to the Super Bowl!!!!!
post #15 of 34 (permalink) Old 01-11-2008, 01:44 AM
Time Served

Very good program !!! My brother say it will kick your ass !!!! Nothing I did was as hard as that workout. But i will keep trying!!! Well worth it!!!
post #16 of 34 (permalink) Old 01-14-2008, 09:28 AM
Time Served

Keep us updated on your results. Their website shows some good results - I am sure that is not a coincidence. Good Luck.

2004 F150 SCREW

2000 GT
242rwhp/285rwtq
1/8: 8.93
RIP 2/25/07

www.lockoutforums.com

I Corinthians 9:24 - Do you not know that those who run in a race all run, but only one receives the prize? Run in such a way that you may win.
post #17 of 34 (permalink) Old 01-17-2008, 10:54 PM
Lifer

Post Thread Is Dead So Here You Go!

I am on day 5 as of tomorrow so completed 4 days. It is a real kick in the pants. I am pretty active and in decent shape. Here are my stats right now. 5'11'' 208 lbs . I can run a mile in under 5 minutes . Only one mile...hahah...12 minute test 2.3 miles. I can currently do 13-15 chin ups all the way up and all the way down and about 65 good form push-ups to failure. I keep telling myself I just completed the hardest day...EACH DAY. Yoga was by far the hardest for me because I am not quite as flexible as I should be and contrary to my prior belief it takes a full body muscle flexibility and coordination to do YOGA. It will be interesting to see my results . Everyone that has or is doing it post up before and after weight totals and pics if you care to share. I am interested in what REAL people do not what I see on TV. I can actually say that with this work out routine, if you stick with it you will see results.

BTW I am using Bodylastics resistance bands. A door chin up bar and my own body weight for all exercises and I feel it with the bands on MOST exercises while doing them, but FEEL it LATER for sure. My g/f is starting on it this monday and a buddy of mine as well .

post #18 of 34 (permalink) Old 01-29-2008, 03:31 PM
KJ94GT

Any updates anyone?
post #19 of 34 (permalink) Old 01-29-2008, 10:08 PM
I'm Yer Huckleberry

My buddy did it for the 90 days or whatever. Went from a size 36 to a size 32 and got some what ripped. He is 42 years old and loved it. He just did his 30 day cool down or whatever and i about to start it again.

2008 GMC Sierra 1500
2008 Yamaha Grizzly 700
2009 HD Street Glide
post #20 of 34 (permalink) Old 01-30-2008, 10:07 AM
Lifer

I have been doing it for 2 weeks and 3 days....I have lost 3 inches on my waist and gained 1 lb.....I can see ALOT more definition and I feel alot lighter on my feet. I cant wait for the end result.

I am also working out at Truesportsdfw.com 's facility and loving it. Check it out.

post #21 of 34 (permalink) Old 01-30-2008, 10:19 AM
AHMO!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 93powerranger
I have been doing it for 2 weeks and 3 days....I have lost 3 inches on my waist and gained 1 lb.....I can see ALOT more definition and I feel alot lighter on my feet. I cant wait for the end result.

I am also working out at Truesportsdfw.com 's facility and loving it. Check it out.
I take it you've gained muscle as from what I remember you are in pretty good shape to start out with.
post #22 of 34 (permalink) Old 01-30-2008, 10:22 AM
Lifer

Yea I would be alot better off if I watched what I ate. But I enjoy REAL food too much to torture myself. Right now I am about 209 or so. I can also do about 3 more full chin ups than I could when I started. I was actually skeptical about the whole deal , just because I was always about IRON, on p90x I have been using resistance bands and a chin up bar and seeing far greater results.

post #23 of 34 (permalink) Old 01-30-2008, 10:51 AM
AHMO!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 93powerranger
Yea I would be alot better off if I watched what I ate. But I enjoy REAL food too much to torture myself. Right now I am about 209 or so. I can also do about 3 more full chin ups than I could when I started. I was actually skeptical about the whole deal , just because I was always about IRON, on p90x I have been using resistance bands and a chin up bar and seeing far greater results.
Cool cool, I'm looking at trying this program soon. We'll see how Jiu Jitsu does to get me in shape enough to survive that thing.
post #24 of 34 (permalink) Old 02-22-2008, 12:15 AM
Pilgrim

I just ordered this tonight, looking forward to it!
post #25 of 34 (permalink) Old 02-22-2008, 09:46 AM
KJ94GT

I've got the whole DVD series but haven't started yet
post #26 of 34 (permalink) Old 03-30-2008, 08:08 PM
Cummins > Powerstroke

updates?

2006 Dodge Ram Megacab Cummins
1969 Mustang Coupe
1969 Mustang Mach1
1969 Chevy C10
1966 Mustang Coupe
post #27 of 34 (permalink) Old 03-30-2008, 11:43 PM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8mpg
updates?
same here, i saw the infomercail this morning. would like to know if it worht it.
also if you have not worked in a while(4 years) does it work you up or just throw you in and go
post #28 of 34 (permalink) Old 03-31-2008, 12:05 AM
Cummins > Powerstroke

Quote:
Originally Posted by needsastang80
same here, i saw the infomercail this morning. would like to know if it worht it.
also if you have not worked in a while(4 years) does it work you up or just throw you in and go
been doing some research and they say if you are not in decent shape to begin with, the p90x is not for you. There are easier versions p90 and p90lean that you should do first.

I think Im going to try and start the workout as soon as I finish downloading it

1969 Mustang Coupe
1969 Mustang Mach1
1969 Chevy C10
1966 Mustang Coupe
post #29 of 34 (permalink) Old 03-31-2008, 12:20 AM
Pilgrim

I start my 4th week tomorrow of the 13 weeks. I have not missed a day yet, but I admit it does take 1.5 hrs on average a day to get through rather than 1 hour.

There is no doubt that it works as long as you keep up with it. I am definitely noticing some changes in my upper body and abs. I break a good sweat on all of the workouts, from yoga to weights and pull ups. It is a well balanced workout.

There is no easing into the program, they basically suggest that you press pause if you can't hang or need longer breaks. The ab ripperX 15 minute ab dvd is insane, you will be pressing pause on it a lot at the beginning.

Do you need to be in shape? There is a fitness test that you take before starting, if you aren't able to complete it they suggest you start somewhere else. I would say just get the p90x and do what you can until you are able to keep up. Why spend the extra $?

As far as the diet I am still having trouble cutting back on the carbs and cokes, but I am making some progress.

If I can successfully get through the 90 days I will post before after pictures.
post #30 of 34 (permalink) Old 04-01-2008, 07:14 PM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phillystang
I start my 4th week tomorrow of the 13 weeks. I have not missed a day yet, but I admit it does take 1.5 hrs on average a day to get through rather than 1 hour.

There is no doubt that it works as long as you keep up with it. I am definitely noticing some changes in my upper body and abs. I break a good sweat on all of the workouts, from yoga to weights and pull ups. It is a well balanced workout.

There is no easing into the program, they basically suggest that you press pause if you can't hang or need longer breaks. The ab ripperX 15 minute ab dvd is insane, you will be pressing pause on it a lot at the beginning.

Do you need to be in shape? There is a fitness test that you take before starting, if you aren't able to complete it they suggest you start somewhere else. I would say just get the p90x and do what you can until you are able to keep up. Why spend the extra $?

As far as the diet I am still having trouble cutting back on the carbs and cokes, but I am making some progress.

If I can successfully get through the 90 days I will post before after pictures.
good point ill just get it and tough it out
post #31 of 34 (permalink) Old 04-01-2008, 07:23 PM
Lifer

Are you self motivated, if so it looks like it could work for you.
Best of luck.
You should post pictures of your progress if and when you do it.
post #32 of 34 (permalink) Old 04-01-2008, 07:32 PM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8mpg

I think Im going to try and start the workout as soon as I finish downloading it

Tell me more

I'd like to check this out.

--wes
post #33 of 34 (permalink) Old 04-01-2008, 07:36 PM
Cummins > Powerstroke

Quote:
Originally Posted by wesman
Tell me more

I'd like to check this out.

--wes
its taking forever...then again its 44gb. Just search yahoo for p90x torrent. ISOhunt or mybittorrent has it.

1969 Mustang Coupe
1969 Mustang Mach1
1969 Chevy C10
1966 Mustang Coupe
post #34 of 34 (permalink) Old 04-14-2008, 12:13 PM
Grapevine Ford

Started P90x on Friday last week. Lifting workouts are good, not particularly difficult if you have been lifting, but a good workout nonetheless. Now on the other hand, the plyometrics and the yoga are absolutley nuts. I THOUGHT I was in pretty good shape. Ha! We'll have to see how this goes.

<-----currently still mystified by the "crane"

Skip Harmon
Director of Sales
Grapevine Ford/Lincoln
817-319-2298
www.grapevineford.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement