Adding too much weight? - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-24-2007, 11:09 AM Thread Starter
Punk Ass Newbie

Adding too much weight?

Well I've been trying get bigger in the arms and chest area, and all the magazine articles that I read say do this many sets and this many reps. But what I don't see is how much weight I should be increasing each set by. I've always been under the impression that to get bigger you should keep adding more weight each set. Am I just lifting more weight for the same or less results or can I get the same pump with just lifting one weight for 5 sets? Also has anyone taken the animal pak multivaitamins? These things are hard as hell to swallow I have to cut them just to down em and there are about 10 pills. Is there something that is just as effective and less of a hassle out there? thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-24-2007, 11:30 AM
Hired Hand

The weight lifted is realtive to your current strength level and lifting intensity. To grow you should be lifting to failure, so you choose a weight that you can only do x number of reps with. If you're going for 8 reps and you get 9, add some weight.

Raven 2006 Yamaha R6S

"If it has horsepower or tits you're gonna have trouble with it eventually..."
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-26-2007, 09:42 AM
Time Served

There are many theories on how much weight you should increase/drop as you go through your sets. Some studies have shown that you should only lift to failure on the last set of each exercise. Then on the other hand others say to lift to failure every set. In my opinion different muscles react differently to certain techniques. For example I have found that I get greater results going to failure every set (except for warm-up) on smaller muscle groups like arms/calves, because they have much higher endurace levels, and repair faster. On larger groups like chest/back/legs I like to do sets as though I would be able to get one more rep than I do in a working set, except for the last. I am able to focus more on the contraction of the muscle this way. You just have to play around with diff. techniques and see what gives you the best results. Don't be affraid to change it up every now and then. Everyone is different. What works for someone else might not work for you.

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-26-2007, 10:21 AM
Hired Hand

Quote:
Originally Posted by 90redlx
Some studies have shown that you should only lift to failure on the last set of each exercise.
For size and strength I've never heard of anytrhing other than training to failure on every set. I've read articles on the negative affects of over-training, but it's always been related to the number of sets, not intensity. Go heavy or go home.

Raven 2006 Yamaha R6S

post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-26-2007, 11:25 AM
Hired Hand

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Studly
so wouldn't that lead to having to possibly decrese weight on say the third set due to fatigue?
It depends on the person, rep range, and spotter. You acheive failure within a certain rep range by choosing the appropriate weight and rep speed. For example, on bench I'll slow down the last couple reps of the first two sets to make me fail at 8 reps, and by the last two sets I need a slight spot to get there. During the week I don't have a sport so I usually resort to slowing up reps to keep the intensity up, because going "too" heavy isn't an option.

Raven 2006 Yamaha R6S

post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-26-2007, 11:28 AM
Rookie

I only go to failure on the last set. But i also lift heavy so i use the warmup and the other 2 sets to lead up to my last heavy set of 6-8.

87 LX Hatch -- Project 302 [email protected] -- 4 Sale
89 4 eye coupe (Grayhorse)
07 Harley Truck S/C
08 G-37S
LockoutSupplements.com
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-26-2007, 11:58 AM
Hired Hand

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Studly
I see, it isn't really a function of weight, but how technique, reps and weight all lead to failure. Interesting. I have always just done 3 sets of 10 at whatever weight I can. Guess I am going to try this stuff out. Basically what you are saying, as long as you to to failure and the weight/techinque lets you fail around 6-10 reps, you are making progress?

Essentially, yes. Failure is a funtion of intensity, keep your intensity up, and keep your weights heavy enough to have you acheiving muscle failure in your given rep range. It's a give and take, as you get stronger you will eventually be able to do a few more reps of a given weight, which means it's then time to add 5 or 10lbs. Don't focus completely on the number of reps though, or you'll fall into the trap of allowing yourself to drop your intensity as you get stronger, without adding weight. Don't stop at 8 reps just because that was your pre-determined number, you've got to push yourself, and give your muscles a reason to grow.

Raven 2006 Yamaha R6S

post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-26-2007, 12:45 PM
Rhabdomyolysis anyone?

A person can get the same "amount " of work by using less weight as well. As long as the session is dictated by form and consistency, muscle fibers can be torn and broken down just as effectively as "goin heavy". That is why it is best to incorporate both.

Strictly lifting heavy will target mainly your slow twitch muscles, neglecting fast twitch fibers. In essence, if you only do one or the other, you are doing yourself a disservice. To get strong most effectively, train with light AND heavy weights.

Crossfit.com <--- no wimps allowed
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-26-2007, 04:14 PM
Sir Clavin

animal pak is a waste of time... I'm just telling you.
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-26-2007, 05:58 PM
Time Served

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Raven
For size and strength I've never heard of anytrhing other than training to failure on every set. I've read articles on the negative affects of over-training, but it's always been related to the number of sets, not intensity. Go heavy or go home.
You haven't heard much about training then. The intensity or the number of sets has nothing to do with over-training. In general over-training is related to the amount of time you spend training, either at one time/workout or the same muscle over again in consecutive(sp?) workouts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by flashstang04
A person can get the same "amount " of work by using less weight as well. As long as the session is dictated by form and consistency, muscle fibers can be torn and broken down just as effectively as "goin heavy". That is why it is best to incorporate both.

Strictly lifting heavy will target mainly your slow twitch muscles, neglecting fast twitch fibers. In essence, if you only do one or the other, you are doing yourself a disservice. To get strong most effectively, train with light AND heavy weights.
flashstang04 you are 100% correct. Very well said sir.
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-26-2007, 06:00 PM
Time Served

Quote:
Originally Posted by [CS]ls1haha
animal pak is a waste of time... I'm just telling you.
Whats up cliff? you don't like to take a "pak" of pills instead of just one with the same sh!t in it.
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-26-2007, 06:51 PM
Hired Hand

Quote:
Originally Posted by 90redlx
You haven't heard much about training then. The intensity or the number of sets has nothing to do with over-training. In general over-training is related to the amount of time you spend training, either at one time/workout or the same muscle over again in consecutive(sp?) workouts.

So you're saying that I can put 135 on the bench, and do a set of 8 reps every 30 minutes or so, and because I was in the gym for 3 hours I'm in danger of over training? Without intensity or a high volume of work done, time has NOTHING to do with over training.

Raven 2006 Yamaha R6S

post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-26-2007, 08:18 PM
Time Served

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Raven
So you're saying that I can put 135 on the bench, and do a set of 8 reps every 30 minutes or so, and because I was in the gym for 3 hours I'm in danger of over training? Without intensity or a high volume of work done, time has NOTHING to do with over training.
Who the hell would do that? You obviously don't understand. When the human body is put through intense physical activity it produces test. If the activity is continuous, the body will produce test. for (depending/everyone is diff.) a period of 45min to 1 1/2 hrs. Any intense training past this point, the body will start to break down muscle, unless you are juicing. This is because your body is hungry (for lack of a better word), and muscle tissue breaks down faster than fat.

As you described you would only be doing 48 reps total within 3hrs. That is not enough to even trigger your body into producing test. in levels that would be benefitial. I figured that it was common sense that when I was talking about time, you would be training throughout.
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-26-2007, 08:19 PM
Rookie

<--------Overtrains everyday!

87 LX Hatch -- Project 302 [email protected] -- 4 Sale
89 4 eye coupe (Grayhorse)
07 Harley Truck S/C
08 G-37S
LockoutSupplements.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement