Protein/Supplement questions - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-19-2007, 03:08 PM Thread Starter
Lifer

Protein/Supplement questions

Just got back in the gym about a month ago and have gotten serious about my progress.

My goals for my body are rather simple: I want to gain muscle mass, lose a little weight, and just become more healthy overall. (Currently I'm 6'3", ~230, and I don't look fat but could stand to lose maybe another 15lbs.)

I am a full time student, living on a students budget and don't always eat the way I should. I feel I didn't consume enough protein to support my lifting. So I got some protein mix at the store that is ~45g/serving, and its recommended use is morning and nights while working out, or directly after a workout.

For my goals, should I Increase my protein intake?? Add other supplements? (I bought some Creatine, but the flavor I bought makes me want to vomit ) I also saw tons of brands of Glucosamine*?

I've lifted since i was 12, and am currently 21. I don't lift for max, just strength and athleticism. Any tips?

Thanks,
Taylor
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-19-2007, 03:40 PM
Rhabdomyolysis anyone?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Studly
mix the creatine with some sugar free kool-aide. I get the flavorless from GNC. You should be taking about 215g of Protien a day (body weight-the 15 you want to lose). Skim milk is a good source since it has casean in it as well, which is a slow acting protein. The shakes you buy are a fast acting protien and best after a workout, but can still be taken throughout the day. Also, be careful about the 45g/serving...make sure you are taking a serving, which sould be about 2 scoops. I have seen the Body Fortress protein with two labels..one with 23g per serving and one that advertises 46g, but they don't say that is two servings, you have to read the label.
Good advice BS

Crossfit.com <--- no wimps allowed
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-19-2007, 06:29 PM Thread Starter
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Studly
mix the creatine with some sugar free kool-aide. I get the flavorless from GNC. You should be taking about 215g of Protien a day (body weight-the 15 you want to lose). Skim milk is a good source since it has casean in it as well, which is a slow acting protein. The shakes you buy are a fast acting protien and best after a workout, but can still be taken throughout the day. Also, be careful about the 45g/serving...make sure you are taking a serving, which sould be about 2 scoops. I have seen the Body Fortress protein with two labels..one with 23g per serving and one that advertises 46g, but they don't say that is two servings, you have to read the label.
Oh wow.

I have been taking the 45g/serving in the mornings with breakfast, and right after I work out, mixing it with low fat milk. Should I just double my intake of protein through the protein shakes? And what about other supplements, like Creatine and NOXplode? Like I said, I don't lift for max, just want to get big and strong.

Very insightful post btw BigStudly, much appreciated.

-Taylor

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-19-2007, 09:14 PM
Rookie

Personally i think it's way too much and i only take one shake a day.

I maybe get 1/2 my bodyweight in protein and im doing just fine.

As for Creatine, the ON brand creatine/glutamine/turaine is cheap ($15) and very easy to drink. 5g is plenty there too.

If you want a multi vitamin also, i'd go with controlled labs Orange Triad. It has the multi, joint, immune, and digest. all in one.

Most important than anything, go BUST YOUR ASS in the gym!!!

87 LX Hatch -- Project 302 [email protected] -- 4 Sale
89 4 eye coupe (Grayhorse)
07 Harley Truck S/C
08 G-37S
LockoutSupplements.com
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-19-2007, 09:15 PM Thread Starter
Lifer

Well there we have it. Thanks a ton for the advice, gonna have to get me some of that flavorless Creatine to mix with my shakes.

-Taylor
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-20-2007, 11:34 AM

I see your in bedford Do you workout at the 24hr??
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-20-2007, 11:56 AM
Hired Hand

Mix the creatine in grape juice, not sugar-free koolaid. You want the natural sugar to spike your insulin, which aids in getting the creatine into the muscle cells.

Raven 2006 Yamaha R6S

"If it has horsepower or tits you're gonna have trouble with it eventually..."
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-20-2007, 03:32 PM Thread Starter
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by WFO347
I see your in bedford Do you workout at the 24hr??
Actually I live in Denton while attending UNT. I use the gym on campus.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-21-2007, 08:59 AM
Large Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Raven
Mix the creatine in grape juice, not sugar-free koolaid. You want the natural sugar to spike your insulin, which aids in getting the creatine into the muscle cells.

I would only drink grape juice after a workout. Well, I would never drink grape juice but if you do that would be the only time for it.

I would say you need more protein, I get about 1.5-2 grams pre pound of body weight. You just need to spread it out more during the day. Eat smaller meals more frequenlty if you can.

Just get a scoop of Creatine, put it in your mouth and wash it down with a drink of water. That's the best way to do it. The only time you need your inuslin spiking is after a workout.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-21-2007, 10:10 AM
Hired Hand

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Smith
I would only drink grape juice after a workout. Well, I would never drink grape juice but if you do that would be the only time for it.
It's natural sugar, which isn't quite as "bad" for you as the processed stuff.

Raven 2006 Yamaha R6S

post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-21-2007, 12:28 PM
Large Member

Quote:
It's natural sugar, which isn't quite as "bad" for you as the processed stuff.

True, I just try to stay away form a lot of sugar either way.
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-21-2007, 01:46 PM
Hired Hand

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Smith
True, I just try to stay away form a lot of sugar either way.

That's fine, but 8oz of natural juice isn't "alot of sugar." Anyone who's willing to spend the money on creatine should be willing to get the most out of it, and being that he's trying to grow, a few extra calories from natural sugar is no big deal.

Raven 2006 Yamaha R6S

post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-21-2007, 03:01 PM
Large Member

Quote:
That's fine, but 8oz of natural juice isn't "alot of sugar." Anyone who's willing to spend the money on creatine should be willing to get the most out of it, and being that he's trying to grow, a few extra calories from natural sugar is no big deal.
You're absolutely right, I was just going off of him saying he was trying to lose fat and keep as much muscle as he can.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement