Oh man, was I way off or what on my body fat %... - DFWstangs Forums
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 29 (permalink) Old 09-15-2007, 03:23 PM Thread Starter
Scared s**tless
 
DON SVO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Dallas City Hall, SKYPING
Posts: 15,056
Oh man, was I way off or what on my body fat %...

We did the caliper test today. Took double measurements, got on the scale in my boxers, etc. and... I had to have someone else take the measurements because I didn't believe it.

height: 5'6"
weight: 148.5 lbs.

BF% set #1: 11.25%
BF% set #2: 11.50%

wow.

so i don't have nearly as much to go. weird. I am going to work on getting rid of some excess water weight, and readjust the parameters of my October cut.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarrisonBT
I sound shit out man, lol. Firefox didnt have a suggestion. I figure A) I'm waay too far off, or B) It's spanish, and Firefox is an English Fox.

I facepalm myself.
DON SVO is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 29 (permalink) Old 09-15-2007, 08:46 PM
Lifer
 
5111's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Arlington
Posts: 2,298
Calipers are not very accurate. I've been tested by three different people on the same day and got 3 very different results ranging from 12%-42%. The mirror is the only thing that really counts.

2001 Mustang Bullitt GT #5111 367.6rwhp/378.4rwtq
2004 Black Lightning #789 STOCK: 363.1rwhp/444.8rwtq
5111 is offline  
post #3 of 29 (permalink) Old 09-16-2007, 11:54 AM
Rookie
 
GRAYHORSE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: The Gym
Posts: 14,219
Cool, that's about where i am too.
I do the electrode method which is also not accurate.

87 LX Hatch -- Project 302 [email protected] -- 4 Sale
89 4 eye coupe (Grayhorse)
07 Harley Truck S/C
08 G-37S
LockoutSupplements.com
GRAYHORSE is offline  
 
post #4 of 29 (permalink) Old 09-16-2007, 02:00 PM Thread Starter
Scared s**tless
 
DON SVO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Dallas City Hall, SKYPING
Posts: 15,056
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5111
Calipers are not very accurate. I've been tested by three different people on the same day and got 3 very different results ranging from 12%-42%. The mirror is the only thing that really counts.
I had two different people do them, same spots. I was hoping it'd be less than 13.9% and I am glad it was. As I did say, I will be getting dunked as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarrisonBT
I sound shit out man, lol. Firefox didnt have a suggestion. I figure A) I'm waay too far off, or B) It's spanish, and Firefox is an English Fox.

I facepalm myself.
DON SVO is offline  
post #5 of 29 (permalink) Old 09-17-2007, 01:23 AM
Viperrrin it'
 
pattymelt3605's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Keller, Texas Posts: 89,785
Posts: 3,993
Not bad, I am 6' and I was at 180 at 10.5% and now I am at 175 9.5%. You getting bigger Don? I am going for 190 < 9%.

Patrick

Lamborghini Gallardo
Viper SRT 10 Coupe

Last edited by pattymelt1285; 09-17-2007 at 01:43 PM.
pattymelt3605 is offline  
post #6 of 29 (permalink) Old 09-17-2007, 06:55 AM
My Boy!
 
Todd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Tyler, TX
Posts: 5,434
Way to go! You are definitley making awesome progress.


I am still in the 169 pound / 14.5%-ish range at 6'-0". I've been battling a little with the clean eating lately, so I have stuck there around 14.5% for a few weeks without much change aside from strength gains in the gym. I'm inspired to turn it up a notch and go for it more seriously again though. I already upped the intensity of the last two workouts even more than previously and I've dropped the calories after a really terrible Saturday cheat day where the best estimates came out to over 4400 calories! I think I'm all carbed up now. lol
Todd is offline  
post #7 of 29 (permalink) Old 09-17-2007, 08:57 AM
Time Served
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Posts: 197
Has anyone used the Bod Pod?

I heard there was one in a supplelemnt shop around Dallas somewhere.


Jay Johnson
Jay Johnson is offline  
post #8 of 29 (permalink) Old 09-17-2007, 10:06 AM
Hired Hand
 
Big A's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Sunny San Diego
Posts: 36,166
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Johnson
Has anyone used the Bod Pod?

I heard there was one in a supplelemnt shop around Dallas somewhere.


Jay Johnson
I did it a couple years ago. They've got one up here in Plano, at Fitness Essentials, which is next to 24 Hour Fitness on Parker and Alma.

Raven 2006 Yamaha R6S

"If it has horsepower or tits you're gonna have trouble with it eventually..."
Big A is offline  
post #9 of 29 (permalink) Old 09-17-2007, 05:09 PM Thread Starter
Scared s**tless
 
DON SVO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Dallas City Hall, SKYPING
Posts: 15,056
Quote:
Originally Posted by pattymelt1285
Not bad, I am 6' and I was at 180 at 10.5% and now I am at 175 9.5%. You getting bigger Don? I am going for 190 < 9%.

Patrick
Apaprently, I am getting more muscular than I thought. I guess it makes sense: I gained 3 lbs. since my 146 weigh-in, and dropped almost an inch off my waist. I seem to be losing/lost the fat off my arms, back, and legs with a quickness, but the belly stuff is being very difficult.

My trainer feels that my "flab" is water retention since I don't drink purified/distilled water very much (1 to 2 gallons a day, but usually tap water), so we're going to spend a couple weeks trying to get rid of it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarrisonBT
I sound shit out man, lol. Firefox didnt have a suggestion. I figure A) I'm waay too far off, or B) It's spanish, and Firefox is an English Fox.

I facepalm myself.
DON SVO is offline  
post #10 of 29 (permalink) Old 09-17-2007, 10:49 PM
Rookie
 
GRAYHORSE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: The Gym
Posts: 14,219
fuck 1-2 gallons. I need drink a gallon a day. Does kool-aid count?

87 LX Hatch -- Project 302 [email protected] -- 4 Sale
89 4 eye coupe (Grayhorse)
07 Harley Truck S/C
08 G-37S
LockoutSupplements.com
GRAYHORSE is offline  
post #11 of 29 (permalink) Old 09-18-2007, 12:14 AM
Time Served
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 303
...... 5.8% as of 5 months ago... the good things about having a teenage body!

Oh yeah and i weigh about 148 last time i went into the doctors which was.... Friday of last week?


1990 Coupe Sold 2/10/10
V6 auto ( daily ) Traded in 6/14/10
2010 GT
JJs89lx is offline  
post #12 of 29 (permalink) Old 09-18-2007, 12:49 AM
Rookie
 
GRAYHORSE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: The Gym
Posts: 14,219
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJs89lx
...... 5.8% as of 5 months ago... the good things about having a teenage body!

Oh yeah and i weigh about 148 last time i went into the doctors which was.... Friday of last week?

lol, a teenage body dosent make you 5.8%. You must workout a lot, do cardio a lot, and eat heathly...

87 LX Hatch -- Project 302 [email protected] -- 4 Sale
89 4 eye coupe (Grayhorse)
07 Harley Truck S/C
08 G-37S
LockoutSupplements.com
GRAYHORSE is offline  
post #13 of 29 (permalink) Old 09-18-2007, 12:52 AM
Time Served
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 303
Quote:
Originally Posted by GRAYHORSE
lol, a teenage body dosent make you 5.8%. You must workout a lot, do cardio a lot, and eat heathly...

I do work out(well sorta)....
I was being a sarcastic punk when i said that.
All i really do is run a lot. The work i did kinda was my work out.?.?
...Eating correctly... I don't do that so much like I should.


1990 Coupe Sold 2/10/10
V6 auto ( daily ) Traded in 6/14/10
2010 GT
JJs89lx is offline  
post #14 of 29 (permalink) Old 09-18-2007, 10:44 AM
No Cerveza... No Trabajo
 
01WhiteCobra's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Where's my beer?
Posts: 21,924
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJs89lx
...... 5.8% as of 5 months ago... the good things about having a teenage body!

Oh yeah and i weigh about 148 last time i went into the doctors which was.... Friday of last week?
I'm 8% and 44. The good things of having a middle aged body! 'cept I'm 175 pounds.

Running 40 miles a week and soon 60-80 miles a week... well I don't have a problem with what I eat I have a problem eating enough. Nothing like being able to polish off an entire cheesecake and not worry about whether I'll gain weight or not.

My 401K is now a 400K (was 301K)
01WhiteCobra is offline  
post #15 of 29 (permalink) Old 09-18-2007, 04:20 PM
Time Served
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 303
Quote:
Originally Posted by 01WhiteCobra
I'm 8% and 44. The good things of having a middle aged body! 'cept I'm 175 pounds.

Running 40 miles a week and soon 60-80 miles a week... well I don't have a problem with what I eat I have a problem eating enough. Nothing like being able to polish off an entire cheesecake and not worry about whether I'll gain weight or not.


Glad to know that you can be middle aged and still have a slim body, Rather then what i usually see around Houston. Guess I have something to shoot for when I get older... I don't even run 40 miles a week. I run when I can which isn't as much as I used to


1990 Coupe Sold 2/10/10
V6 auto ( daily ) Traded in 6/14/10
2010 GT
JJs89lx is offline  
post #16 of 29 (permalink) Old 09-18-2007, 05:37 PM
Rhabdomyolysis anyone?
 
flashstang04's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 2,224
Quote:
Originally Posted by DON SVO

My trainer feels that my "flab" is water retention since I don't drink purified/distilled water very much (1 to 2 gallons a day, but usually tap water), so we're going to spend a couple weeks trying to get rid of it.

Did I read that right? your trainer says that it is because you are not drinking distilled water? That is ridiculous. Maybe I am reading it wrong.

Crossfit.com <--- no wimps allowed
flashstang04 is offline  
post #17 of 29 (permalink) Old 09-18-2007, 06:04 PM
Lifer
 
Ronin6135's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Posts: 1,674
Off topic, but how accurate are the scales that measure BF?

02-z28
Ronin6135 is offline  
post #18 of 29 (permalink) Old 09-18-2007, 06:56 PM
Lifer
 
5111's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Arlington
Posts: 2,298
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronin6135
Off topic, but how accurate are the scales that measure BF?
They are pretty off too because they fluctuate by simply drinking a glass of water. If you only use them first thing in the morning before a drink of water they are fairly constant, although not accurate. I use mine more to check fluctuation than for the actual reading.

2001 Mustang Bullitt GT #5111 367.6rwhp/378.4rwtq
2004 Black Lightning #789 STOCK: 363.1rwhp/444.8rwtq
5111 is offline  
post #19 of 29 (permalink) Old 09-18-2007, 08:14 PM
Rhabdomyolysis anyone?
 
flashstang04's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 2,224
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5111
They are pretty off too because they fluctuate by simply drinking a glass of water. If you only use them first thing in the morning before a drink of water they are fairly constant, although not accurate. I use mine more to check fluctuation than for the actual reading.

This is true. the current sent between your skin and the muscle can be skewed if you are hydrated.

Crossfit.com <--- no wimps allowed
flashstang04 is offline  
post #20 of 29 (permalink) Old 09-18-2007, 09:19 PM
Lifer
 
Ronin6135's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Posts: 1,674
Cool thats kind of what I figured. The low number I get on their is not to bad, but some times it goes pretty high.

02-z28
Ronin6135 is offline  
post #21 of 29 (permalink) Old 09-18-2007, 09:22 PM Thread Starter
Scared s**tless
 
DON SVO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Dallas City Hall, SKYPING
Posts: 15,056
Quote:
Originally Posted by flashstang04
Did I read that right? your trainer says that it is because you are not drinking distilled water? That is ridiculous. Maybe I am reading it wrong.
i drink a shit ton of tap water every day, anywhere from 1.25-2 gallons, and need to curb some of my sodium off. i am retaining some water weight. he recommended i drink distilled water only and take dandelion root and see if that helps some.
DON SVO is offline  
post #22 of 29 (permalink) Old 09-18-2007, 09:58 PM
Rhabdomyolysis anyone?
 
flashstang04's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 2,224
If you are taking in a lot of sodium, I can understand cutting it out for sure, but I wouldn't think the type of water makes a difference ( by most water plant standards anyway). I like Bill Phillips quote:

"Drink tap, distilled, filtered, or purified water....doesn't matter, just drink it, and lots of it"

Keep in mind dandelion root is a natural diuretic, so be cautious with it. If you think you are peeing a lot now, just wait! It is also an appetite stimulant, so it can cause cravings.....nothing wrong with that, just eat the right stuff.

Crossfit.com <--- no wimps allowed
flashstang04 is offline  
post #23 of 29 (permalink) Old 09-18-2007, 10:03 PM Thread Starter
Scared s**tless
 
DON SVO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Dallas City Hall, SKYPING
Posts: 15,056
Quote:
Originally Posted by flashstang04
If you are taking in a lot of sodium, I can understand cutting it out for sure, but I wouldn't think the type of water makes a difference ( by most water plant standards anyway). I like Bill Phillips quote:

"Drink tap, distilled, filtered, or purified water....doesn't matter, just drink it, and lots of it"

Keep in mind dandelion root is a natural diuretic, so be cautious with it. If you think you are peeing a lot now, just wait! It is also an appetite stimulant, so it can cause cravings.....nothing wrong with that, just eat the right stuff.
Eating the right stuff is easy... quantity is the difficult part sometimes!

Friday was my last splurge day I will have for a while: 14 oz ribeye, 1/3 lb hamburger with cheese, 2 hot dogs, two 2 oz. bags of doritos, 4 cookies, a real 20 oz. coke and a small bowl of ice cream. And that was just lunch think I needed it??

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarrisonBT
I sound shit out man, lol. Firefox didnt have a suggestion. I figure A) I'm waay too far off, or B) It's spanish, and Firefox is an English Fox.

I facepalm myself.
DON SVO is offline  
post #24 of 29 (permalink) Old 09-18-2007, 10:40 PM
Wolverines!!!
 
SlowLX's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: 1st Civ Div
Posts: 9,261
Quote:
Originally Posted by 01WhiteCobra
I'm 8% and 44. The good things of having a middle aged body! 'cept I'm 175 pounds.

Running 40 miles a week and soon 60-80 miles a week... well I don't have a problem with what I eat I have a problem eating enough. Nothing like being able to polish off an entire cheesecake and not worry about whether I'll gain weight or not.
I can't wait to get my cardio that intense again. I did polish off a sub 17 5k last saturday though
SlowLX is offline  
post #25 of 29 (permalink) Old 09-18-2007, 10:45 PM
Rhabdomyolysis anyone?
 
flashstang04's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 2,224
Quote:
Originally Posted by DON SVO
Eating the right stuff is easy... quantity is the difficult part sometimes!

Friday was my last splurge day I will have for a while: 14 oz ribeye, 1/3 lb hamburger with cheese, 2 hot dogs, two 2 oz. bags of doritos, 4 cookies, a real 20 oz. coke and a small bowl of ice cream. And that was just lunch think I needed it??



Crossfit.com <--- no wimps allowed
flashstang04 is offline  
post #26 of 29 (permalink) Old 09-20-2007, 02:48 PM
Time Served
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Austin
Posts: 431
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowLX
I can't wait to get my cardio that intense again. I did polish off a sub 17 5k last saturday though
Nice! A 16.xx is gettin it done!! I just started running again through a coached program here at work about 6 weeks ago. The finale is a 5k on Nov 4th, so I have high expectations. I haven't run competitively since college (SWTSU 15yrs ago) so I've lost a lot of ground. (I started this program at 195lbs, I was running at 155 back then :-/) My personal goal is 18:35 for this one. (Break into the high 5 min/mile mark.) With very little prep/training I ran a 19.54 a couple of years ago, so I truly don't know where I'll be at all. I'm ashamed to say I could run consistent low 16s back then :-/ (not ashamed that ran low 16s, but ashamed that my goal now is almost a minute per mile slower ) I basically wiped my PRs clean and am starting over, I'm not the same person I was 15-20 yrs ago. I've got a 5k next weekend for a yard-stick, so we'll see. (I may revise my goals after that ) I feel a lot stronger than I was 6 weeks ago, that's for sure!

Here's the 5k training program we're using if anyone's interested: http://www.runtex.com/web/workoutpla...15/2007&plan=1

We're really cranking up the interval/pace work, so it's starting to get fun again!

My real goal is not necessarily to get a certain time for this race, but rather to use this as a springboard to get back in the routine of doing it, and shoot for some respectable times in the Spring!

Keep up the good work guys, it's motivating to read your stories!

Last edited by Scott H; 09-20-2007 at 03:03 PM.
Scott H is offline  
post #27 of 29 (permalink) Old 09-21-2007, 07:28 AM
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by DON SVO
Eating the right stuff is easy... quantity is the difficult part sometimes!

Friday was my last splurge day I will have for a while: 14 oz ribeye, 1/3 lb hamburger with cheese, 2 hot dogs, two 2 oz. bags of doritos, 4 cookies, a real 20 oz. coke and a small bowl of ice cream. And that was just lunch think I needed it??
Damn!! That's a months worth of cheating
GA Racer is offline  
post #28 of 29 (permalink) Old 09-21-2007, 02:07 PM
Wolverines!!!
 
SlowLX's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: 1st Civ Div
Posts: 9,261
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott H
Nice! A 16.xx is gettin it done!! I just started running again through a coached program here at work about 6 weeks ago. The finale is a 5k on Nov 4th, so I have high expectations. I haven't run competitively since college (SWTSU 15yrs ago) so I've lost a lot of ground. (I started this program at 195lbs, I was running at 155 back then :-/) My personal goal is 18:35 for this one. (Break into the high 5 min/mile mark.) With very little prep/training I ran a 19.54 a couple of years ago, so I truly don't know where I'll be at all. I'm ashamed to say I could run consistent low 16s back then :-/ (not ashamed that ran low 16s, but ashamed that my goal now is almost a minute per mile slower ) I basically wiped my PRs clean and am starting over, I'm not the same person I was 15-20 yrs ago. I've got a 5k next weekend for a yard-stick, so we'll see. (I may revise my goals after that ) I feel a lot stronger than I was 6 weeks ago, that's for sure!

Here's the 5k training program we're using if anyone's interested: http://www.runtex.com/web/workoutpla...15/2007&plan=1

We're really cranking up the interval/pace work, so it's starting to get fun again!

My real goal is not necessarily to get a certain time for this race, but rather to use this as a springboard to get back in the routine of doing it, and shoot for some respectable times in the Spring!

Keep up the good work guys, it's motivating to read your stories!
It was like a 16:49 My goal is to break my pr from Ft Sill 15:12 It's gunna take me a long time to drop to that area again. The 16 was a fluke in my opinion, my averages have been closer to 19s and 20s lately. But Im fat right now..
SlowLX is offline  
post #29 of 29 (permalink) Old 09-21-2007, 03:36 PM
No Cerveza... No Trabajo
 
01WhiteCobra's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Where's my beer?
Posts: 21,924
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowLX
It was like a 16:49 My goal is to break my pr from Ft Sill 15:12 It's gunna take me a long time to drop to that area again. The 16 was a fluke in my opinion, my averages have been closer to 19s and 20s lately. But Im fat right now..
Not bad. I'm hoping I can still make a sub-16 5K but I'll have to see what the true "damage" was to my achilles. The doctor still says I'll make a full recovery and be 100% 12-14 months out (going on 12 months now).

I'm in an endurance cycle at the moment that ends on Sunday and I'll start adding some serious speedwork in next week.

My 401K is now a 400K (was 301K)
01WhiteCobra is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Bookmarks

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the DFWstangs Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome