DFW Mustang Forums banner

Heart rate

228 views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  01WhiteCobra 
#1 ·
A little about myself. I am 29 years old, have not worked out in years, eat shit food daily, hardly move during the day, and 6' 2" 230lbs. I decided to get a membership at 24 hour fitness today and just got back from there. I played some hoops, just shooting balls and running after them after missing the goal for a good hour. I sweated good, I was not out of breath, but noticed when I stopped for a few seconds that my heart was really beating good, no biggie. I then did some dumbells for a bit, then went to treadmill for a 3mph walk for 10mins. Well the machine kept saying 178-180. Isn't that high for that little bit of a workout? What are the hazards assuming it was accurate. I was not out of breath at all during any of this.

#2 ·
The heart rate monitors on machines can have as much as a 10% variance in them.

Also, the MHR guestimates are just those... guestimates.

I am 44 and I can tell you through testing my maximum heart exceeds 200 BPM. My resting pulse can get down as low as in the 30s. Heart rate is personal and really isn't an indication of "good fitness" and "bad fitness." I can maintain 170-180 BPM on the bike all day long and I can maintain 150-160 BPM running all day long. For someone else that might kill them in 30 minutes.

If I followed the guidelines established with the guestimates I'd never get my heart rate where it should be.

If you aren't out of breath you aren't getting into an anaerobic situation (where your body cannot flush out the lactate faster than you are producing it.) So most likely you still are aerobic.

#3 ·
ok the last part, heheh. That means it's not hurting anything as long as i'm not out of breath?

01WhiteCobra said:
The heart rate monitors on machines can have as much as a 10% variance in them.

Also, the MHR guestimates are just those... guestimates.

I am 44 and I can tell you through testing my maximum heart exceeds 200 BPM. My resting pulse can get down as low as in the 30s. Heart rate is personal and really isn't an indication of "good fitness" and "bad fitness." I can maintain 170-180 BPM on the bike all day long and I can maintain 150-160 BPM running all day long. For someone else that might kill them in 30 minutes.

If I followed the guidelines established with the guestimates I'd never get my heart rate where it should be.

If you aren't out of breath you aren't getting into an anaerobic situation (where your body cannot flush out the lactate faster than you are producing it.) So most likely you still are aerobic.

#4 ·
ozzeran said:
ok the last part, heheh. That means it's not hurting anything as long as i'm not out of breath?
I wouldn't worry too much about it.

Keep track of yourself during the week. If you are lethargic or have muscle pains that don't seem to go away after awhile then you might be overdoing it.

If you don't feel tired or have sore muscles that are persistent you probably are ok.

For example, I'm back up to 40 miles a week running after my achilles rupture last year. I tried a few times before to bring up the miles over 40 but I was pretty damn sore and tired the next week. Continuing with the 40 miles a week left me damn sore and tired.

So I'd back it back down the next week and start over again building it back up. Eventually, my body got back into the groove and 40 miles a week isn't that much of a chore again. At the end of the week I feel ok and the soreness from the long runs disipates over a couple of days.

Develop a feel for your body. You'll know when you are pushing it too hard.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.