running? - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-10-2007, 08:58 AM Thread Starter

running?

Is sprinting just as good as running on the treadmill for 3 miles? The treadmill is getting boring and I'm looking to change things up a bit.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-10-2007, 09:37 AM
Rhabdomyolysis anyone?

I would say that several sprints are better for you than a 3 mile treadmill run. Of course you have to equate the workout load. You obviously can't go sprint for 20 ft and get benefits.

Crossfit.com <--- no wimps allowed
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-10-2007, 01:14 PM
No Cerveza... No Trabajo

Depends on what you are trying to accomplish.

For general fitness, sprints in the 100-200 meter ranges followed by an equal distance rest will probably provide you the same amount of general fitness as running 3 miles... maybe even in a shorter distance.

Keep the heart rate up for at least 20 minutes 3x a week and you'll gain in general fitness. The nice thing about sprints is they are more likely to cause muscle growth than slow distance (I don't consider 3 miles long.)

The other benefit is most games we still play into adulthood: flag football, baseball, basketball, racquet sports, etc. rely on quick bursts of speed followed by relative low intensity (walking or slow jog.) You are priming your body to do these types of activities.

An example would be... lets say two teams have the same basketball skills (shooting percentage, dribbling abilities, etc.) and one runs 3 miles a day and the other one runs 10x200 sprints every day. I'll drop my money on the one running sprints. The marathon team , while certainly in good marathon shape, hasn't been training their bodies for basketball.

If you are running 3 miles comfortably and doing at no more than 24-27 minutes you probably could do something like this:

1/2 mile warm up
few minutes of stretching out
10x200 (or 10x100) with an equal distance in between (either walking or jogging)
1/2 mile cool down

Work each week at adding a few reps into the program until you get to 15x200 or 20x100 three times a week. At that point you are effectively running 3 miles. If 10x200 or 10x100 is too much at first drop it down and build from there.

Anything less than 100 meters in sprints is using a different set of phsyiological systems and you aren't getting a good taxing of the aerobic system.

Hill repeats lasting 20 seconds or longer (if you have a decent hill around you) are also very good. Sprint up the hill, walk/jog back down the hill. Stadium stairs work as well.

I'm more of a long course triathlon and marathoner trainer so very rarely will my interval training get below 800 meters and more than likely will be at the 1200 meter to 1 mile type of intervals.

I also include hill training as well because of the strength benefits of hill running. Even if the race I'm prepping for doesn't have hills I still do hills because of the strength it gives me towards the waning portions of the race when you have to kick it up a gear.

On hills what I do is a warm up (about 1 mile), 6-8 hill repeats lasting 20-30 seconds, 3 mile tempo run (about 80% full effort), 6-8 hill repeats, 1 mile cool down. I do this about once every two weeks. I don't know how many times the exrta strength has come in handy when I'm at 23-24 miles into a marathon and I can't feel my legs anymore.

Bottom line, what every makes you want to get out and move is what is best for you. Just make sure its at least 20 minutes worth of work!

Good luck.

My 401K is now a 400K (was 301K)

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-10-2007, 02:39 PM
Baller

True badasses sprint with a parachute
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-10-2007, 02:57 PM
No Cerveza... No Trabajo

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruffdaddy
True badasses sprint with a parachute

post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-10-2007, 03:04 PM
Baller

Quote:
Originally Posted by 01WhiteCobra
or a tire...haha
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-10-2007, 05:18 PM
Scared s**tless

how would one incorporate sprints into a biking regimen? What would sprinting be considered on 2 wheels instead of jogging?

IO think I am just about done with jogging. I hate heel spurs and feeling flat footed... so I am going to start going 100% with my 20" bike of doom...

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarrisonBT
I sound shit out man, lol. Firefox didnt have a suggestion. I figure A) I'm waay too far off, or B) It's spanish, and Firefox is an English Fox.

I facepalm myself.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-10-2007, 08:26 PM
No Cerveza... No Trabajo

Quote:
Originally Posted by DON SVO
how would one incorporate sprints into a biking regimen? What would sprinting be considered on 2 wheels instead of jogging?

IO think I am just about done with jogging. I hate heel spurs and feeling flat footed... so I am going to start going 100% with my 20" bike of doom...
Don,

A couple different ways depending on what feels good for you.

Most any interval work I do on the bike is 100+ RPM. Typical cadence is 90 and usually if I'm sprining I'm at 120 RPM. The sprinters you see on the tour are doing about 150-160 RPM at their peak sprint. Warm up well, maybe as much as 15-20 minutes of easy cycling (maybe less, depends on you)

30-30s

30 seconds balls to the wall, followed by 30 seconds easy sprinting. Repeat those 10-20 times (starting out I'd start with 8-10 and build up from there).

1 mile intervals

3 x 1 mile with 1/2 mile recovery in same time it took to complete the mile.

What it take to complete the mile is up to you and your fitness level. It takes me about 2 minutes to complete the mile and I take the 1/2 mile in two minutes.

Cool down with 15-20 minutes of easy cycling (maybe less, depends on you)

I would do a session or two of longer distance cycling as well. You can limit them to an hour or less and just push yourself during the ride (keep the RPMs up, big chain ring, etc.)

post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-11-2007, 07:50 AM
My Boy!

I did HIIT on a bike a few timesin the past. I used a hill to increase intensity. I would go up the hill for the "sprint" portion, then turn and go down hill still pedaling in a higher gear for the lower intensity portion. i used heartrate to manage everything. it worked pretty well, but it really hit my quads hard.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement