What's the deal with half reps? - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-08-2007, 10:23 AM Thread Starter
Lifer

What's the deal with half reps?

I've been noticing in the gym the growing trend of young guys doing 6 inch or less than half reps.

Is this a new trend that I don't know about? I haven't read any magazines for years, so I might be behind the curve. I was always taught that a full range of motion hits the entire muscle, and half reps actually hurt by not stretching the muscle.

I'm just getting frustrated at kids teaching kids what might be a wrong trend.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-08-2007, 10:30 AM
Rookie

Well for most gymrats it's just so they can do more weight and look cool with heavy weight, but in return they look like a dumbass cause they move the weight a couple inches with a spotter and put it back.

However, some that know what they are doing, learn to better and better isolate the muscle or part of the muscle that you wish.....what it may look like to another doesnt mean anything, what it feels like to the exerciser is what it is all about.

if his target muscle is contracting and burning internally, he is happy, regardless of what it may or may not look like to observers.

87 LX Hatch -- Project 302 [email protected] -- 4 Sale
89 4 eye coupe (Grayhorse)
07 Harley Truck S/C
08 G-37S
LockoutSupplements.com
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-08-2007, 10:42 AM

Ive seen this same thing, mostly when people are doing Bi's, they say it gives you the "cut" where the bicept starts? Not sure on the other stuff

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-08-2007, 03:48 PM
Scared s**tless

I know several of the power lifters at my gym go bar-to-the-chest and 'pop' it about 6-8" off as quickly and rapidly as possible when they are benching. they also compensate by doing 16-20 reps with minimal-moderate weight. I asked about it, and they say it's to help train the muscles for the explosion off the chest when they bench. Since Justin is benching 525 without a shirt and without steroids, I'll take his word for it.

As for training the muscles in the chest for the pop, I have to agree: my max right now is pretty pathetic (230 lbs), and I slam the fuck out of the bar once I stuff my abs and pull in as much air as I can... those first 4" are the hardest. Once I am past there I push it up gradually and without much effort. I might look more into what they're doing, because that initial pop is my downfall. I feel like I could do 240 if I could get that bar off my chest at that weight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarrisonBT
I sound shit out man, lol. Firefox didnt have a suggestion. I figure A) I'm waay too far off, or B) It's spanish, and Firefox is an English Fox.

I facepalm myself.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-08-2007, 05:23 PM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DON SVO
I know several of the power lifters at my gym go bar-to-the-chest and 'pop' it about 6-8" off as quickly and rapidly as possible when they are benching.
My workout partner (my grandpa) used to be a power lifter and we usually do rest pauses for the explosions, which you go down about 2 inches from your chest and hold for 5 seconds then touch and go back up all the way. A set of those will kill you with some weight. As for the topic of the thread he'd call me a pussy if I did half reps .
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-08-2007, 06:15 PM
Rhabdomyolysis anyone?

Many people just use a full range of motion to failure, and then do partials to use up the rest of the ATP they have in the muscle.

But you are right, some guys are just doing it wrong.

Crossfit.com <--- no wimps allowed
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-09-2007, 02:24 AM Thread Starter
Lifer

A kid got pissed at me a couple of weeks ago because he was doing shoulders on a smith machine and had 2 45s on each side. He was only going down about 5" and I asked him what he was doing. He replied "shoulders" but I said that he was only doing triceps since all he was doing was locking out his arms.

I know about pauses and half reps at full range of motion, but what I'm seeing is kids putting on too much weight and only doing the top 5-6" or so. They just get if off the rack and it never gets more than a dollar bill's length from the pegs....
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-09-2007, 08:16 PM
DFWMUSTANGS.NET

Maybe 5% of the squats I've ever seen in the gym are decent.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-12-2007, 01:34 PM

i guess it just depends on what ur workin on. i was workin out with a trainer and he was doin the half rep thing....his reasoning behind it was that if you go lower than 4-6'' from your chest you're using more of your shoulders and he does it to concentrate on his chest muscles. i'll take his word for it as he's pretty jacked with no juice
Sponsored Links
Advertisement