Will it ever get easier? (running) - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 49 (permalink) Old 08-31-2007, 12:21 PM Thread Starter
Hired Hand

Will it ever get easier? (running)

I got back into my jogging routine, and have been running in the morning 4-5 times a week for the last 3 weeks. Though I'm breathing alot easier throughout the entire run, my legs are laboring along just like the first day, and I can't jog any farther or faster without really taxing myself, and it's down right un-enjoyable. Will it ever get "easy"? How about you marathon guys, is the first mile any different from the 10th?

Keep in mind that I'm more interested in preserving lean mass, and I'm just running to cut some fat, so I have no interest in some sort of hardcore training regemin, I just want to feel motivated to get up and run instead of dreading it every morning.

Raven 2006 Yamaha R6S

"If it has horsepower or tits you're gonna have trouble with it eventually..."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 49 (permalink) Old 08-31-2007, 12:26 PM
Time Served

I can tell you

a hip and knee replacement later give up the running for a low impact exercise routine.
post #3 of 49 (permalink) Old 08-31-2007, 12:30 PM
Sir Clavin

running sucks... I hate running, but my brother goes through miles like it's a walk in the park. Maybe his Army background has something to do with it.

post #4 of 49 (permalink) Old 08-31-2007, 12:34 PM
Time Served

Alot of this depends on how you are training. 4-5 times a week @ ~3 miles a session - you are not really going to see any improvement. You need to trick your body by staggering the distances, adding some interval training at the local track, and throwing a long run in every couple of weeks. I guarantee you will see results then.

I have done 12 marathons (all under 2:55); the first and tenth mile feel the exact same - it is around mile 22 that the body starts to fall apart.
post #5 of 49 (permalink) Old 08-31-2007, 12:50 PM
Lifer

Running is hard on fat guys... hang in there, it will get better...
post #6 of 49 (permalink) Old 08-31-2007, 01:42 PM
Lifer

nope, running always will suck. I dread it every time I do it. It has gotten easier now that Im 25 pounds lighter, but still not fun.. Get a road bike, lots of fun and good low impact cardio.

02-z28
post #7 of 49 (permalink) Old 08-31-2007, 01:47 PM
Vikings are next!

When I ran cross country back at school...my shins would start hurting after 30-40 minutes....my coach suggested that I ice my shins before running and that took care of the problem...also alot has to do with what kinda of shoes you are running with/ what turf you are running on..

02 GT
X-pipe and flows

Last edited by 4.6 Love; 08-31-2007 at 03:35 PM.
post #8 of 49 (permalink) Old 08-31-2007, 01:50 PM

I have done a couple marathons, very, very slowly (over 4 hours!) and the 1st and 10th mile feel about the same. I would even say the tenth feels better than the first, but around the 18th for me it really starts to suck. 20-26.2 feels like an entirely different and longer race.

X2 on the staggereing regemin, that's the way I do it when I am trying to build endurance and enjoy running. Keep in mind there is a "break in" period where running sucks till your body hits that groove, mine's about 2-3 miles into it.

and additional X2 on the bike thing. It's SO much eaisier on the feet, knees and back, plus you can throw mountain biking in there which is exciting more so than plodding out the miles.
post #9 of 49 (permalink) Old 08-31-2007, 01:51 PM
Sports weenie @ full attn

What surface are you running on? If concrete, stop. Go to a high school and use their track. I'm sure you know this, but it's night and day from concrete to rubber or grass. The legs as a whole, take alot less of a beating.

post #10 of 49 (permalink) Old 08-31-2007, 01:52 PM
Baller

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT Dan
Running is hard on fat guys... hang in there, it will get better...

LMAO!!!

I have the same problem with running. It's gotten much easier to breath and remain at a constant pace, but I always end up having to slow myself down because I just get too wore out after 1.5 miles or so.
post #11 of 49 (permalink) Old 08-31-2007, 01:54 PM
Racist....that means you!

Just keep tellign yourself that pain is a sign of weakness leaving the body. Throw on some headphones and jam out and forgot about the pain.
post #12 of 49 (permalink) Old 08-31-2007, 02:13 PM
not exclude

I have two suggestions:

1) Like someone said, get some interval training in. Sprint half a lap, jog a full lap, repeat. I usually do 2 miles total intervals (I'm not a super long distance runner, just enough for the Army).

2) You say you can't go any further/faster without really taxing yourself? Why not really tax yourself? I understand you don't want to kill yourself everyday to avoid losing lean mass, but one run a week wouldn't have a huge impact on your lean mass and could have a huge impact on your running ability. Get out there and go for a personal best on your standard run length. Next week, beat that.
post #13 of 49 (permalink) Old 08-31-2007, 02:16 PM
Big "foot"

Eh, I've never broken through any wall on running. It just seems to suck for extended periods of time until I feel like I'm just plain injuring myself after a while. Then I stop and gain some weight and try it again. I've run a whole 5 miles this week.

post #14 of 49 (permalink) Old 08-31-2007, 02:16 PM
Rookie

I hate running too. Im good at it time wise when i run, but i've always hated it.
Use the....

Stepmill FTW!

87 LX Hatch -- Project 302 [email protected] -- 4 Sale
89 4 eye coupe (Grayhorse)
07 Harley Truck S/C
08 G-37S
LockoutSupplements.com
post #15 of 49 (permalink) Old 08-31-2007, 02:49 PM Thread Starter
Hired Hand

Quote:
Originally Posted by exlude
2) You say you can't go any further/faster without really taxing yourself? Why not really tax yourself? I understand you don't want to kill yourself everyday to avoid losing lean mass, but one run a week wouldn't have a huge impact on your lean mass and could have a huge impact on your running ability. Get out there and go for a personal best on your standard run length. Next week, beat that.
I suppose that's part of what makes running such a chore, I do it out of necessity, not because I want to run farther or faster. I don't want to have to run any more than is necessary to achieve my body composition goals, and I'm certainly not going to sacrifice hard earned lean mass (which I most certainly will with calories restricted) doing it. I'd be perfectly conent setting the elliptical trainer on x number of minutes, if it weren't so damned boring. I prefer running, I'm just manting to make it a little less tedious. If I could keep my diet in check year round, I'd probably never do another minute of cardio ever again.

Raven 2006 Yamaha R6S

post #16 of 49 (permalink) Old 08-31-2007, 03:18 PM
No Cerveza... No Trabajo

Running never gets easier. You get use to running but it never gets easier.

Someone running a world-class time in a marathon hurst just as much as some one logging a 3:30 marathon. Anyone with determination can train to go sub 3 hours in a marathon, very few people can attain a 2:30 marathon.

Having said that running does cause some physiological changes particulary in the legs. Your capillary system will grow to allow for more oxygen flow to your legs. This added capacity will allow you to 1) run faster 2) run faster at your lactate threshold (the point at which your body cannot get rid of the lactate as fast as you are producing it).

The problem is if you don't use the system it will deterioate back to only what is required. Meaning, you can train yourself into running a 6:00 minute mile but as soon as you go back to an 8:00 minute mile your systems will only support an 8:00 mile.

You also have to determine what your limiter is. Running distance primarily requires 2 seperate systems: 1) lactate threshold 2) aerobic. Think of aerobic as how far you go and lactate as how fast you can go for a period of time.

If your limiter is aerobic you can do all the threshold work you want and you'll never improve your aerobic capacity. If your limiter is lactate threshold you can run all the slow miles you want and you won't improve your lactate threshold.

As far as is the 1st mile different than the 10th...

For me the 1st mile and the miles up to about 20-22 are the same. Keep steady pace and move forward. I try for even splits although some will go negative splits (each mile is faster than the previous). After 20-22 miles its all about your mind and how much pain you can endure and living by my quote phrase... HTFU (harden the fuck up).

But, for me personally, I don't see much improvement in my marathon portion of ironman distance tris unless I'm running 6 days a week and logging 60+ miles. I can maintain by running a 4 day per week program but to improve I got to run 6 days a week. Some people can run 4 days a week and improve their run.

You can also do some hill running. Find a hill that takes you 30 seconds to crest at a decent clip. Run up the hill/walk jog back down. Start with 5 or 6 reps and build up to 10-20. Jog a mile before and a mile after.

You can also add some strides (moments of fast pace but not all out) to some of your runs, maybe twice a week. You don't need to do them on a track you can do them by time. Start with something like 6x30 seconds with 2 minutes rest in between (jog) and build up to 8-10 strides of 2 minutes with 2 minutes rest in between.

My 401K is now a 400K (was 301K)
post #17 of 49 (permalink) Old 08-31-2007, 03:22 PM
No Cerveza... No Trabajo

Oh yea, get your ass a mountain bike.

Lots of fun and with the right trail a huge quad workout.

Also, in order to stop the canabolizing of your lean tissue learn to eat on the run. You can either use gel packs or solid food. In your case, you may also want to protein mixed in as well, like accelerade.

If you fuel your body during your run, your body will not canabolize your lean tissue. In fact, if you are doing anything 1/2 ironman or better you have to eat some calories. Typically I'm at the 400 calorie range or better per hour.

post #18 of 49 (permalink) Old 08-31-2007, 03:23 PM
Racist....that means you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 01WhiteCobra
Oh yea, get your ass a mountain bike.

Lots of fun and with the right trail a huge quad workout.

Also, in order to stop the canabolizing of your lean tissue learn to eat on the run. You can either use gel packs or solid food. In your case, you may also want to protein mixed in as well, like accelerade.

If you fuel your body during your run, your body will not canabolize your lean tissue. In fact, if you are doing anything 1/2 ironman or better you have to eat some calories. Typically I'm at the 400 calorie range or better per hour.
You're fucking sick in the head, man. I like to exercise, but goddamn!
post #19 of 49 (permalink) Old 08-31-2007, 03:40 PM
Time Served

Quote:
Anyone with determination can train to go sub 3 hours in a marathon, very few people can attain a 2:30 marathon.

Completely disagree on the statement that anyone with determination can run a sub 3:00 marathon. Check the stats on any major marathon (BOS, CHI, NYC, BER, LON, et al) you will see that 3:00 puts you in the top ~900 or so - out of a race with over 30k people. Sub 3 runners have the gift of endurance plain and simple. I would not consider myself anywhere near as intense/'determined' as most marathon runners and I have pulled off a 2:47; yet I see people train like hell (>60 miles a week), follow a careful diet and still not sniff a 3:20.

2:30 is just over B standard Olympic qualifying so I agree with the fact that very few people can sustain that pace....But you are way off base on the 3:00 comment...
post #20 of 49 (permalink) Old 08-31-2007, 04:00 PM Thread Starter
Hired Hand

Quote:
You also have to determine what your limiter is. Running distance primarily requires 2 seperate systems: 1) lactate threshold 2) aerobic. Think of aerobic as how far you go and lactate as how fast you can go for a period of time.
Being that my breathing isn't laborous at the end, I must assume that I have a very low latate threshold, I assume from years of heavy lifting and minimal cardio.

I have the utmost respect for endurance athletes, but it's not in my blood to do that stuff. On one hand I think it would be really cool to be in that good of cardiovascualar shape, but in reality I don't have the drive to go that far with it. It's all a matter of desire, I'll hit the gym sick as a dog in 30* temps, but running on a sunny 80* day is a chore.

Raven 2006 Yamaha R6S

post #21 of 49 (permalink) Old 08-31-2007, 04:03 PM
Rhabdomyolysis anyone?

This is a great article on the whole premise:

Slowtwitch

Crossfit.com <--- no wimps allowed
post #22 of 49 (permalink) Old 08-31-2007, 04:14 PM
Worship me

It never really gets easier but you kind of just get used to the effort it takes.

If you just want to drop weight then do two or three different kinds of cardio. You'd probably hate to run for 30 minutes but could easily run for 15 and then do the stairmill for 15. That is what I did in the weight loss contest. Bike 20 minutes, run 20-25 minutes and then stairmill for 20 minutes.
post #23 of 49 (permalink) Old 08-31-2007, 04:25 PM
No Cerveza... No Trabajo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Y2K AG GT

Completely disagree on the statement that anyone with determination can run a sub 3:00 marathon. Check the stats on any major marathon (BOS, CHI, NYC, BER, LON, et al) you will see that 3:00 puts you in the top ~900 or so - out of a race with over 30k people. Sub 3 runners have the gift of endurance plain and simple. I would not consider myself anywhere near as intense/'determined' as most marathon runners and I have pulled off a 2:47; yet I see people train like hell (>60 miles a week), follow a careful diet and still not sniff a 3:20.

2:30 is just over B standard Olympic qualifying so I agree with the fact that very few people can sustain that pace....But you are way off base on the 3:00 comment...
I'll stand by it. Like I said if you are willing to put forth the effort it isn't impossible. A 3 hour marathon is a 6:52 pace. This pace is certainly within the grasp of reality.

Do you seriously believe that the 20,000 people that toe up to the line at the Austin Marathon seriously trained for a sub 3 hour and decided to fallback to a 4 hour?

Running a 3 hour marathon is an endeavor but certainly obtainable by anyone under 40, that decides to put the effort forth. I'd go on to say most likely in your low 40s you can obtain it as well.

As far as your "follow a careful diet and still not sniff out a 3:20" about 20 years ago, when I ran with the Houston Harriers, one of the club members was 6' and 210 pounds, had diabetes and was 32. His weight was primarily related to his diabetes. I trained him for 20 weeks (his first marathon after some 1/2s, 10ks and 5ks) and he finished the Tenneco Houston Marathon (now the Chevron Houston Marathon) in 3:20. His max miles training per week were in the 50 range. He weight 200 pounds at the start of the marathon.

Lets look at the last results for the New York City Marathon where the serious age groupers gather (not the Whiterock where everyone including walkers gather)...

In the 40-44 age group (arguably when you slow down) there were over 200 male finishers under 3:00 with a best of 2:24!

In the 50-54 age group (certainly when you slow down) there were over 25 finishers under 3:00 with a best of 2:34.

Hell I can belt out a 3:20 marathon after 2.4 mile swim and 112 mile bike at 40 years+. I have seen a sub 3:00 in the 40-44 age group at the end of an ironman.

Sorry, dude, a 6:52 pace for a marathon is within the reach of most "ordinary people" (I'll qualify and say under 40) who want it bad enough. It isn't a gift.

A 7:00 minute mile isn't anything special and would give you a 3:03.

post #24 of 49 (permalink) Old 08-31-2007, 04:44 PM
No Cerveza... No Trabajo

Quote:
Originally Posted by flashstang04
This is a great article on the whole premise:

Slowtwitch
Sorry anecdotal evidence doesn't impress me. For every athlete Sisson wants to show me I'll show him one that had no bad effects. Basically all he is saying is that the microcosm of elite athletes mirrors that of the general population when it comes to genetic deformities.

It isn't a great article and the debate on Slowtwitch (where you grabbed it and I'm a member) centers around Sisson's discussion of the oxidative stress and effects and the aging process at the cellular level and attempts to apply it to the entire organism. Basically his article is making unsubstantiated claims.

If you want some scientific literature and not somebody trying to hawk anti-aging pills here ya' go:

http://www.news.uiuc.edu/news/07/0705exercise.html
Research suggests fitness may reduce inflammation

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/sites/en..._uids=17523876
Mitochondrial oxygen consumption and reactive oxygen species production are independently modulated: implications for aging studies

for example, Sisson believes that increasing O2 consumption must increase the rate of mitochondrial oxygen radical generation but yet the scientific study shows strong decreases in absolute and relative mitochondrial oxygen radical production occur during aerobic exercise bouts, chronic exercise training, and hyperthyrodism, and notably, during dietary restriction.

Hell, Sisson wants you to believe Armstrong's testicular cancer was a result of his training. LOL.

Mark's anecdotally based opinion is certainly interesting but that doesn't mean his conclusions drawn from a very small sample are correct. But it may just sell some anti-aging pills!

Last edited by 01WhiteCobra; 08-31-2007 at 05:01 PM.
post #25 of 49 (permalink) Old 09-01-2007, 02:33 AM
Banned

I think some people just cant get into running and thats it. Iv ran with some people that from looking at them you would think they could run 20 miles and not feel a thing but they couldnt stay motivated to run more than 2 miles.
I have a friend that I go run with. Neither one of us resemble any sort of runner. Im 6,4 230lbs and he's 6,6 250lbs. We both enjoy running around 5-8 miles at a time. But if either one of us try to run by ourselves then we can only manage to stay motivated about 3 miles. Running doesnt seem to bother either one of us after about 2 miles.
Being in shape doesnt mean you will automaticly enjoy running. If you dont like it try something else.
post #26 of 49 (permalink) Old 09-01-2007, 02:46 AM
que?

i definitely need some motivation in order to run. hell, the only times i really ran was in football and bootcamp and that's cause i HAD to

riding a bike is fun though...will it burn fat from your whole body or just your legs
post #27 of 49 (permalink) Old 09-01-2007, 03:16 AM
look at em go

A good set of running shoes does miracles. I dont know what you're running with, but lightweight is good, and make sure its easy to roll your foot. (leave each step on your toes). Also, just like weightlifting and all that good stuff, form is very important. Just by improving your form you can see huge differences. ALOT of people make tons of excess movement in the upper body.

I'm not a fast runner, I'm not a personal trainer, but I can run all day. These are just some small bits of info that made running in the navy a little easier for me. (it actually got me to enjoy a good run)
post #28 of 49 (permalink) Old 09-01-2007, 09:57 AM
Lifer

I have been runing steady now for several years. Twice a week religiously in the morning before I go to work. The run hasn't got any easier but it hasnt got any harder either. Its that intial shove to get out there and do it that tends to keep people from reaching their goals.

One thing I have learned recently and you should listen to this if you plan to run with any frequency and that is to change your shoes regularly. Running is an impactful sport and the wear patterns develop and form quickly in your running gear. Your ankles and feet adapt to these positions over time and if left alone can result in some very slow healing injuries.

My story? My son bought me some Reebok running shoes for my birthday some years back. I was an infrequent runner at the time but I used those shoes for around 4 years - the last two of which I had started running regularly. Well finally the sole began to separate around the toe area and it was time to say goodbye to the birthday shoes and retire them to yard work only. Man, the new pair felt good in the store and felt great on the road the first day I wore them.......until the next day. The next day I was limping from the pain and have not fully recovered from this yet. I'm probably older than a lot of you here and my recovery time could be longer than some.

I dont know how often you run but to minimize pain or injuries I will be changing shoes every 6 months or sooner now.

MRT

1972 Cuda
2003 Infinity G35
2001 1100 Shadow Sabre
1996 Sea-doo Challenger jet boat
post #29 of 49 (permalink) Old 09-01-2007, 02:29 PM
Scared s**tless

I ride a bike for my cardio. I will say, once you get past the point of caring that you're hurting and weak, things improve. You have to go ahead and get light headed, weak kneed, chug some water and vomit... maybe even pass out. Just get it over with... find your limits so that you know where to push them. I don't have some 26" 20 lb. road bike: I ride a 20" wheeled, short-geared BMX bike (set up for doing tricks and whatnot) that weighs close to 40 pounds. I ride 13-15 miles and feel somewhat winded, but not anywhere near dead. I used to get heat exhaustion like a motherfucker, I could barely get my breath back etc. after a 5 mile ride. I got to where I would make sure I had some energy to torch and push for that extra mile. I do a lot of cardio now, and it's showing markedly in my tolerances and endurance. I might do things a bit drastic, but the results are worth it.

I am quite confident I could do 40-60 miles on a properly set up road bike in 3 hours as I sit right now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarrisonBT
I sound shit out man, lol. Firefox didnt have a suggestion. I figure A) I'm waay too far off, or B) It's spanish, and Firefox is an English Fox.

I facepalm myself.
post #30 of 49 (permalink) Old 09-01-2007, 02:37 PM
Aspiring Bean Counter.

shit, if all that was holding me back was my legs being tired, i'd be great!

my asthma will tire me out long before my legs get sore, even now being as out of shape as i am. my breathing will get a little better if I run regularly, but not enough to justify the shit i go through.

post #31 of 49 (permalink) Old 09-01-2007, 06:42 PM
Scared s**tless

Just got back from a nice 16 mile ride. I didn't realize it would suck so bad after doing legs this morning... Oh well.

Quote:
I sound shit out man, lol. Firefox didnt have a suggestion. I figure A) I'm waay too far off, or B) It's spanish, and Firefox is an English Fox.

I facepalm myself.
post #32 of 49 (permalink) Old 09-01-2007, 09:13 PM
No Cerveza... No Trabajo

Quote:
Originally Posted by DON SVO
Just got back from a nice 16 mile ride. I didn't realize it would suck so bad after doing legs this morning... Oh well.
I did 80 miles on the road bike followed up with an 8 mile run (back to back.) Damn, I must have just taken 5 years off my life.

Tomorrow, trail run 15-18 miles, nice and slow. Maybe some mountain biking in the afternoon.

post #33 of 49 (permalink) Old 09-02-2007, 01:02 PM
Wolverines!!!

Quote:

trail run .
x2 If I ever get tired of running and want to stop I'll go hit up some trails it's much more relaxing and entertaining.
post #34 of 49 (permalink) Old 09-02-2007, 01:24 PM
Scared s**tless

Quote:
I did 80 miles on the road bike followed up with an 8 mile run (back to back.) Damn, I must have just taken 5 years off my life.

Tomorrow, trail run 15-18 miles, nice and slow. Maybe some mountain biking in the afternoon.
I am seriously considering buying a road bike. I'd love to just take 3 hours and ride. My little 20" bike is twice the work with half the distance. Then again, I am probably burning off a ton of calories doing it the way I am now.

Quote:

I facepalm myself.
post #35 of 49 (permalink) Old 09-03-2007, 01:15 PM
Lifer

Aaron, I suggest downloading a Podcast called...uh...Podcasts for Running: Couch to 5K. It's great to listen to while running.
post #36 of 49 (permalink) Old 09-03-2007, 07:58 PM
#4 Best QB Ever

I guarantee it'd get easier if Marisa were there for motivation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DON SVO View Post
Women: vaginal life support.
post #37 of 49 (permalink) Old 09-03-2007, 08:09 PM
No Cerveza... No Trabajo

Quote:
I am seriously considering buying a road bike. I'd love to just take 3 hours and ride. My little 20" bike is twice the work with half the distance. Then again, I am probably burning off a ton of calories doing it the way I am now.
Yea, I'd say you are probably buring quite a few calories. Now the road bike vs. 20" it's relative.

I'd say with we were producing the same MPH your wattage output would obviously be higher thus you would be burning more calories.

But on a flat 3 hour ride I can manage about 23-25 MPH average whereas on the 20" you would be much less. So, most likely, my wattage output would be higher or at the very least the same so the calorie burn would be the same. I'd just ending up getting further down the road in 3 hours.

post #38 of 49 (permalink) Old 09-03-2007, 08:34 PM
Scared s**tless

Quote:
Yea, I'd say you are probably buring quite a few calories. Now the road bike vs. 20" it's relative.

I'd say with we were producing the same MPH your wattage output would obviously be higher thus you would be burning more calories.

But on a flat 3 hour ride I can manage about 23-25 MPH average whereas on the 20" you would be much less. So, most likely, my wattage output would be higher or at the very least the same so the calorie burn would be the same. I'd just ending up getting further down the road in 3 hours.
No joke.

20 lb. bike 28" wheels with high gearing

38 lb.(just weighed it!) bike 20" wheels, single low gear

I want a road bike!!!

Quote:

I facepalm myself.
post #39 of 49 (permalink) Old 09-03-2007, 08:53 PM
No Cerveza... No Trabajo

Quote:
No joke.

20 lb. bike 28" wheels with high gearing

38 lb.(just weighed it!) bike 20" wheels, single low gear

I want a road bike!!!
Haha. Yea, my original MTB weighed in at about 32 pounds. I don't have a road bike over 19 lbs or so.

But, hey, you have more momentum on the downhills.

post #40 of 49 (permalink) Old 09-03-2007, 09:10 PM
Lifer

Quote:

I want a road bike!!!
Here ya go, 13.6 pounds off the show room floor.

02-z28
post #41 of 49 (permalink) Old 09-03-2007, 09:37 PM
Very Interesting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marisa
Aaron, I suggest downloading a Podcast called...uh...Podcasts for Running: Couch to 5K. It's great to listen to while running.
I actually started that program today, just to have something to do on the treadmill.

i realized being engaged made me a fat ass again, and it's time to get crackin to get back in single shape.

You're only as strong as you allow yourself to be...

Lockout Workout Forums and Supplements
post #42 of 49 (permalink) Old 09-03-2007, 09:40 PM
No Cerveza... No Trabajo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronin6135
Here ya go, 13.6 pounds off the show room floor.
And it can be your's for the low low price of $7600!

I'm partial to Trek, so I'm loving the Madone SSL 5.9. I think it comes in right at 15 lbs. Little cheaper at 7K.

post #43 of 49 (permalink) Old 09-03-2007, 10:01 PM
Scared s**tless

you niggaz are crazy. I ain't paying $7,000 for a fucking road bike.

I am going to start browsing craig's list however. I am 5'6", what size/models should I take into consideration?

Quote:

I facepalm myself.
post #44 of 49 (permalink) Old 09-03-2007, 10:11 PM
Lifer

Quote:
you niggaz are crazy. I ain't paying $7,000 for a fucking road bike.

I am going to start browsing craig's list however. I am 5'6", what size/models should I take into consideration?
Really you need to just ride and see what is best for you. I was set in stone on a Trek, until I rode the masi they had. The masi just worked out alot better for me. Fit is everything on a road bike, a nice bike in the wrong size can be miserable. Now is the time to buy there are some good deals to be had on 07 models.

02-z28
post #45 of 49 (permalink) Old 09-03-2007, 10:20 PM
Scared s**tless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronin6135
Really you need to just ride and see what is best for you. I was set in stone on a Trek, until I rode the masi they had. The masi just worked out alot better for me. Fit is everything on a road bike, a nice bike in the wrong size can be miserable. Now is the time to buy there are some good deals to be had on 07 models.
One of my best friends works for a very popular bike shop, I can get a screaming deal.

Quote:

I facepalm myself.
post #46 of 49 (permalink) Old 09-03-2007, 10:21 PM
Lifer

I need a bike hook up.

02-z28
post #47 of 49 (permalink) Old 09-03-2007, 10:25 PM
Very Thankful!

Awe... I've always loved running. I think Im the most bothered now that the doctor told me I'd never do it again... Ya'll know me.. yea right. Tried to run last week and didn't last a minute and I was hurting for a week...= (
post #48 of 49 (permalink) Old 09-03-2007, 10:27 PM
Scared s**tless

Quote:
Originally Posted by CobraChic
Awe... I've always loved running. I think Im the most bothered now that the doctor told me I'd never do it again... Ya'll know me.. yea right. Tried to run last week and didn't last a minute and I was hurting for a week...= (
How about stationary bikes? Can your hip tolerate that since it's non-impacting?

Quote:

I facepalm myself.
post #49 of 49 (permalink) Old 09-04-2007, 06:09 AM
No Cerveza... No Trabajo

Quote:
Really gonna depend on you. I have friends that swear by Cannondale, which I did ride for about 5 years, but I don't like them. I've rode Cervelo, Quintana Roo, Specialized and Trek tri bikes over the years and keep coming back to Trek.

As far as size, forget your overall height. The proper measurement starts with your inseam. For most people you want a 3/8" to 1" clearance between the top tube and your crotch.

Stand barefoot with your back against the wall and feet 6" apart. Put a book between your leg to simulate a saddle. Measure the distance between the top of the book and the floor in centimeters. The formula is:

Inseam measurement x .67 = frame size

For a mountain bike:

(Inseam measurement - 10) / 2.54 = frame size in inches

There are a bunch of other factors that come into play once you get the proper frame size (seat height, seat fore-aft, handlebar height, handlebar reach, etc.) which really means you need to take the bike for a ride once you find the proper frame size and make some adjustments to fit your body.

For example, handlebar reach is going to be related to top tube length and handlebar stem length (top tube length can't be adjusted.)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement