What motivates you?? - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 29 (permalink) Old 08-18-2007, 10:19 AM Thread Starter
Robert Galarga

What motivates you??

to work out and eat healthy? i always tell myself im gonna change my diet, quit smoking, work out more but i never seem to do it... just curious what motivates you guys to do so?? i wouldnt consider my self really out of shape... i just would like to be a little healthier

2004 pontiac gtslow
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 (permalink) Old 08-18-2007, 10:41 AM
Oooooooh-whee

Being overweight, depressed, physically and mentally drained did it for me. I don't ever want to feel the way I did again, so I keep at it.

8/16/05
post #3 of 29 (permalink) Old 08-18-2007, 10:43 AM
Lifer

People like David Rozelle, had his leg blown off in Iraq, but yet can swim 2 miles bike 100 and run 26 and stay in the Army. I figure if he can do that, I need to quit being a bitch when I wanna stop ridding or working out because I think im tired.

02-z28

post #4 of 29 (permalink) Old 08-18-2007, 10:59 AM
No Cerveza... No Trabajo

To consistently run sub 10 hour ironman distance triathlons.

I don't necessarily eat healthy or workout because I want to live to 100. In fact, I'd say the training required to run a sub 10 hour ironman distance triathlons probably takes a few years off your life (if you don't get killed training.)

Being "healthy" and "eating right" are just some of the side benefits.

I really can't explain the process of doing an event where you completely break yourself down and have to rebuild yourself. You just have to experience. Once you do you will be hooked. When your body is completely shut down and all you have to work with is your mind you enter a state of consciousness no drug can give you.

Events that go beyond your endurance and make you reach deep motivate the hell out of me.

My 401K is now a 400K (was 301K)
post #5 of 29 (permalink) Old 08-18-2007, 12:12 PM
Scared s**tless

For me, it was the feeling of being lethargic and slow. I used to always be trim and fit, ride my bike 'til my ass fell off, etc.

My biggest problem was getting a desk job and turning 21. I went from 136-138 in high school to 159 as of March. I went from 159 to 144.5 in 5 weeks, and am weight training/cardioing/eating right for the first time in my life. I don't drink, I don't smoke, I bust my ass every damn time I get into the gym. I feel the best I have ever felt. Period. I cannot stress that enough. Watching yourself slin in the middle and widen out at the top is a great feeling. Visual and emotional progress are my motivators.

I can honestly say that in all 25 years of my life, I have never felt the way I do now. I look better, I feel better, I save more money by avoiding alcohol and eating out, I don't mentally and physically crash like i used to (no more red bulls, etc.) ... it's an all around better me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarrisonBT
I sound shit out man, lol. Firefox didnt have a suggestion. I figure A) I'm waay too far off, or B) It's spanish, and Firefox is an English Fox.

I facepalm myself.
post #6 of 29 (permalink) Old 08-18-2007, 12:35 PM
Hired Hand

I feel so much better mentally and physically when I keep my diet in check, keep the alcohol to a minimum, and hit the gym regularly. Not to mention that most of the attractive women I know don't date fat slobs.

Raven 2006 Yamaha R6S

"If it has horsepower or tits you're gonna have trouble with it eventually..."
post #7 of 29 (permalink) Old 08-21-2007, 12:36 PM
Lifer

Heres my ??

I am 24 and a small frame guy. I just had a physical and the doc said I am in excellent health physicaly. I work my ass off at my job so when I get home I dont feel like working out but still find time to do a little jogging and a small amount of weight lifting. How come if I get 10 hours of sleep or 5 hours of sleep by 9 or 10 oclock in the morning I need a nap. I am always VERY VERY tired. What the hell is wrong with me.
post #8 of 29 (permalink) Old 08-21-2007, 02:45 PM
Good times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast.0
I am 24 and a small frame guy. I just had a physical and the doc said I am in excellent health physicaly. I work my ass off at my job so when I get home I dont feel like working out but still find time to do a little jogging and a small amount of weight lifting. How come if I get 10 hours of sleep or 5 hours of sleep by 9 or 10 oclock in the morning I need a nap. I am always VERY VERY tired. What the hell is wrong with me.
You need to be consistent in your sleeping habits. Going back and forth from 10 to 5 to 10 is confusing your body. I felt like crap my first few years of college because my sleep schedule was so out of whack. Now I'm on a much more normal schedule and I feel much better.

I work out because my general mood is much better when I do. I also don't get angry near as quickly.

n/a
post #9 of 29 (permalink) Old 08-21-2007, 02:53 PM
Lifer

I usualy get 7 hours of sleep. I lay down about 10 and get up about 5.30. My body is trainded to get up and 5.30 or 6 with no alarm clock. I was just pointing out about the 5 to 10 hours is im alway tired no matter what. I started using an alarm clock about 2 months ago so I dont pass my wakeup time just incase if I sleep in on accident and it has actualy helped me sleep better so im not worried about what time it is and always checking. I am fixing to start doing alot of jogging to see if it helps me.
post #10 of 29 (permalink) Old 08-21-2007, 03:10 PM
Lifer

Symptoms suggest sleep apnea. Might wanna get a sleep study done.

I was diagnosed with an enlarged prostate 2-3years ago. Am monitoring with yearly physicals but it was a wakeup call for me. Am not overweight at 180lbs but would like to lose some gut. I started running about 3miles, twice a week for the last several years. Even in the coldest damn weather, I'm out there. Best for me to do it before I go to work as I am on my feet during the day and am too tired or too busy with other projects in the afternoons.

My motivation for running is staying healthy to live longer. Things that inspire me are listening to music while I am running, seeing other people looking at me that seem to be wishing they were out there doing the same thing.

1972 Cuda
2003 Infinity G35
2001 1100 Shadow Sabre
1996 Sea-doo Challenger jet boat

Last edited by miketyler; 08-21-2007 at 07:03 PM.
post #11 of 29 (permalink) Old 08-21-2007, 03:13 PM
UNFUCKWITHABLE

At this very moment, a contest I am in...

In years past, it was just a desire to be stronger. Pushing myself in the gym consisted of nothing more than trying to move more weight. I would go after it for a few months, then get bored and burned out.

Recently though, I feel I have turned a page. I am now more concerned with overall fitness rather than brute strength, and I have started making a lifestyle change... and it feels great.

Right now, in general, my motivation is knowing that I'm working toward goals (weight loss, at least half of the White Rock Marathon in Dec., etc) that I have never had the drive and dedication to achieve before, and knowing that I am making myself a healthier person everyday.

... that and knowing that my girlfriend is doing this with me and if I don't meet these goals I have set for myself she will never let me live it down.

Audentes Fortuna Juvat
post #12 of 29 (permalink) Old 08-21-2007, 03:19 PM
UNFUCKWITHABLE

I'm not one to put myself above other people; it's just not my style... but I catch myself doing this too.
When people around the office ask me how my running is going or whatever they will add things like, "I wish I could do that" or, "I need to start doing that."

Knowing that I have taken the initiative to do something and not just sit around and talk about half hearted goals without action makes me feel damn good.

To the OP. When I get home to my other computer this evening I will cut/paste something that motivates the shit out of me. It's a post from another board that I saved... if there's a morning I dont feel like running, an evening I don't feel like lifting, or whatever, reading it will ALWAYS make me think, "Self...Stop being a goddamn pussy and do it!"

Audentes Fortuna Juvat

Last edited by Stroked71Bowtie; 08-21-2007 at 06:54 PM.
post #13 of 29 (permalink) Old 08-21-2007, 03:36 PM
Time Served

What motivates me is the active lifestyle. If I see something on tv or hear about something that seems like it would be fun, I don't want to be the guy that can't do it. It also helps out alot with the ladies.

EDIT- I work out for shape and size and not brute strength, it's too easy to get hurt when you always want to go super heavy.

If you're being chased by a police dog, try not to go through a tunnel, then on to a little seesaw, then jump through a hoop of fire. They're trained for that!

2009 Fusion- Daily
1990 LX- Broken
1996 GT- SOLD
post #14 of 29 (permalink) Old 08-21-2007, 03:49 PM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by miketyler
Symptoms suggest sleep aphnea. Might wanna get a sleep study done.

I was diagnosed with an enlarged prostate 2-3years ago. Am monitoring with yearly physicals but it was a wakeup call for me. Am not overweight at 180lbs but would like to lose some gut. I started running about 3miles, twice a day weekly for the last several years. Even in the cold, I'm out there. Best for me to do it before I go to work as I am on my feet during the day and am too tired or too busy with other projects in the afternoons.

My motivation for running is staying healthy to live longer. Things that inspire me are listening to music while I am running, looking at other people that seem to be wishing they were out there doing the same thing.
Hey thanks man, to be honest your not the first person to tell me this. I had a dr tell me the same thing but sent me to a sleep dr in athens which is about an hour a way so there was no way I was goin that far.
post #15 of 29 (permalink) Old 08-21-2007, 03:52 PM
Trailer Park Royalty

nothing. I am one of those lucky bastards with a high metabilism

03 cobra 450/443--2.93 upper, JLT CAI, o/r x, dumped flows, SRA w/3.73s
94 Z71-dd
post #16 of 29 (permalink) Old 08-21-2007, 05:30 PM
Lifer

If it is sleep apnea it can be detrimental to your health robbing your body of quality sleep. Usually is coupled with some snoring. Some signs would be if your sleeping partner ever notices you stop snoring or get very quiet at night during your sleep. Its really hard to diagnose accurately though without a sleep study.

There are other sleep centers in Dallas you can go to. Check out the Snoring Center in Dallas near 67 and Wheatland. Most insurance should cover the sleep study if you have a referral from your GP.

http://www.snoringcenter.com/

1972 Cuda
2003 Infinity G35
2001 1100 Shadow Sabre

Last edited by miketyler; 08-21-2007 at 07:01 PM.
post #17 of 29 (permalink) Old 08-21-2007, 05:34 PM
Lifer

Quote:
When people around the office ask me how my running is going or whatever they will add things like, "I wish I could do that" or, "I need to start doing that."
Yeah - that too. Not only do I feel more alert, awake, and on top of my game in the mornings that I run, but there's some sort of selfish satisfaction you get when you look over at other guys in your office and realize you did more work this morning than most of those guys will do in weeks.

1972 Cuda
2003 Infinity G35
2001 1100 Shadow Sabre

Last edited by miketyler; 08-22-2007 at 07:14 AM.
post #18 of 29 (permalink) Old 08-21-2007, 06:56 PM
UNFUCKWITHABLE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stroked71Bowtie
To the OP. When I get home to my other computer this evening I will cut/paste something that motivates the shit out of me. It's a post from another board that I saved... if there's a morning I dont feel like running, an evening I don't feel like lifting, or whatever, reading it will ALWAYS make me think, "Self...Stop being a goddamn pussy and do it!"

OK, here it is. I randomly came across this post on BB.com one day

Quote:
The next thing you should do is man the hell up and be disciplined. Losing 23 pounds and then turning around and gaining it back all in the matter of 5 months is pathetic and extremely unhealthy. Frankly, I don't think you need encouraging, feel-good words. You need to face the truth and make a decision. Allow me to tell you how it is.

It is one thing to get a grand idea about fitness and then play around with that idea for a few weeks until it isn't fun anymore.

It is another thing entirely to make a real decision. Stop paying lip service to your fitness dreams, and get to work. You say you want results "kinda quick"...baloney. You need to be looking waaaaaaay down the road here. You should already know that quick-fixes are a pile of crap. They are bad for your health and lead you right back to obesity. You learn NO discipline from quick-fixes; in fact, they embody qualities that are the very opposite of true discipline. Besides, you've let yourself go too far to expect a toned physique after two months of cardio and machine weights.

I've seen too many people on this very website who have totally transformed their bodies to have much pity for folks who haven't. True, we all start somewhere, and I hope you are really serious this time, but people even fatter than you have worked their asses off to forge physiques that are chiseled, healthy and altogether enviable. I respect those people a great deal.

I have neither respect nor encouraging words for people who play games and flap their gums about how they want a hard body. Newsflash: everyone wants a hard body...but few have the balls to step up and do the HARD WORK and RESEARCH necessary to develop that body.

So, in closing, I won't offer you any encouragement or pity-words, because frankly, you posted here in September of last year claiming that you were making a change...you obviously haven't changed a thing. Yes, it is good that you are here, but only if you are truly serious. If you are not serious, you are not only wasting your time but ours as well. You deserve the truth; nothing more, nothing less. The truth is that you are a walking tub of donut oil who is wasting the only life he has by maintaining willful enslavement to shit food and no exercise. It's time to stop playing games and merely talking about what you want. You won't get what you want unless you work long and hard for it. It takes real sacrifice, not a half-assed commitment to some weak circuit training twice a week. Just ask the people who transformed their bodies and whose pictures are proudly displayed on this website.

Are you ready to work? Yes? THEN GET AFTER IT. Tear into your training like an animal. Stop at nothing to make your workouts. Allow no excuse to stand in the way of your daily commitment to work out. The time for excuses is OVER. I have nothing further other than to state that I hope you come back here in six months with some progress pictures to be proud of.

It's the harsh truth, but sometimes that's what it takes.

Audentes Fortuna Juvat
post #19 of 29 (permalink) Old 08-21-2007, 09:42 PM

I too need motivation..
post #20 of 29 (permalink) Old 08-21-2007, 09:46 PM
Rookie

A new best in the gym gets me pumped. Like today, a 500lb squat for the first time! Get some.....

87 LX Hatch -- Project 302 [email protected] -- 4 Sale
89 4 eye coupe (Grayhorse)
07 Harley Truck S/C
08 G-37S
LockoutSupplements.com
post #21 of 29 (permalink) Old 08-21-2007, 10:00 PM
Bitter Italian

I dont wanna get my ass kicked.
post #22 of 29 (permalink) Old 08-21-2007, 11:15 PM
#4 Best QB Ever

I don't eat healthy, but I lift weights for baseball. I think it's working, too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DON SVO View Post
Women: vaginal life support.
post #23 of 29 (permalink) Old 08-22-2007, 07:55 PM
UNFUCKWITHABLE

Amazing.

http://cjcphoto.com/can/

Audentes Fortuna Juvat

Last edited by Stroked71Bowtie; 08-22-2007 at 08:29 PM.
post #24 of 29 (permalink) Old 08-22-2007, 08:55 PM
Lifer

I saw a deal on the Hoyt's a few weeks back, definitely a very cool thing he is doing for his son.

02-z28
post #25 of 29 (permalink) Old 08-23-2007, 07:21 AM
Painting Your House

What motivates me? Fat.
post #26 of 29 (permalink) Old 08-23-2007, 02:59 PM
Lifer

I figure these are supposed to be the best years of my life. I don't want to waste them being fat.
post #27 of 29 (permalink) Old 09-01-2007, 10:36 AM
Lifer

good point.

1972 Cuda
2003 Infinity G35
2001 1100 Shadow Sabre
Sponsored Links
Advertisement