whey protein - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-09-2007, 10:52 PM Thread Starter
Time Served

whey protein

well some guy at work gave me a brand new container of whey protein, not really sure what it does. Im trying to lose weight but also lifting hard at the same time so i know im not gonna lose weight fast. I was told to drink it an hour before i lift and another drink right after liftin, is this right? im 5,11 at 243 benchin 310, what could i do to get my weight down but get stronger?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-10-2007, 05:19 PM
Scared s**tless

Quote:
Originally Posted by 46stanger
well some guy at work gave me a brand new container of whey protein, not really sure what it does. Im trying to lose weight but also lifting hard at the same time so i know im not gonna lose weight fast. I was told to drink it an hour before i lift and another drink right after liftin, is this right? im 5,11 at 243 benchin 310, what could i do to get my weight down but get stronger?
I use it as a supplement to my workout and diet. Your muscles use the protein to hlp rebuild after woroking out and to maintain mass. On average, I have a shake in the morning and one in the evening as a 'closer' to my meal program.

Currently, after a workout I take in a 2 scoop shake in addition to a creatine supplement ~ 30 after finishing my routine. Your body can better process protien after a workout, but a good strong cardio will give you a much longer window to do it. I prefer my protein after the workout, and a higher carb intake just prior.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarrisonBT
I sound shit out man, lol. Firefox didnt have a suggestion. I figure A) I'm waay too far off, or B) It's spanish, and Firefox is an English Fox.

I facepalm myself.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-10-2007, 05:27 PM
No Cerveza... No Trabajo

Quote:
Originally Posted by DON SVO
Currently, after a workout I take in a 2 scoop shake in addition to a creatine supplement ~ 30 after finishing my routine. Your body can better process protien after a workout, but a good strong cardio will give you a much longer window to do it. I prefer my protein after the workout, and a higher carb intake just prior.
Pop some glutamine after working out.

You also need carbs after working out (high on the glycemic index) to restore your glycogen stores. Your body is looking for glycogen after you workout and will readily absorb. You have approximately a 2 hour window where carbs are converted to muscle glycogen at a rate of 3x the normal rate.

Mix in some protein as well as studies suggest that the addition of protein helps with the glycogen synthesis.

My 401K is now a 400K (was 301K)

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-10-2007, 07:56 PM
Scared s**tless

Quote:
Originally Posted by 01WhiteCobra
Pop some glutamine after working out.

You also need carbs after working out (high on the glycemic index) to restore your glycogen stores. Your body is looking for glycogen after you workout and will readily absorb. You have approximately a 2 hour window where carbs are converted to muscle glycogen at a rate of 3x the normal rate.

Mix in some protein as well as studies suggest that the addition of protein helps with the glycogen synthesis.
I eat just before my workout, typically yogurt or pasta/rice. The creatine powder I use comes in @ 32g carbohydrates, and I pop it within 30 minutes of the workout.

I was thinking about this after your thread regarding your carb-burn weekly workouts. You are looking for trim, endurance-ready muscularity for your triathalon/marathon schedule. I am trying to build muscle mass. I could never do the type of cardio and fat burn that you do, I'd lose all of the fat I have and not gain muscle mass as quick. I consume protein at a higher percentage than carbs.

Quote:
I sound shit out man, lol. Firefox didnt have a suggestion. I figure A) I'm waay too far off, or B) It's spanish, and Firefox is an English Fox.

I facepalm myself.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-10-2007, 08:21 PM
Rookie

It's going to be hard to get your weight down and get stronger unless you're just starting to workout again.

For strength i'd look into creatine, protein, BCAA's to include a lot of L-Alanine.

87 LX Hatch -- Project 302 [email protected] -- 4 Sale
89 4 eye coupe (Grayhorse)
07 Harley Truck S/C
08 G-37S
LockoutSupplements.com
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-10-2007, 08:51 PM
No Cerveza... No Trabajo

Quote:
Originally Posted by DON SVO
I was thinking about this after your thread regarding your carb-burn weekly workouts. You are looking for trim, endurance-ready muscularity for your triathalon/marathon schedule. I am trying to build muscle mass. I could never do the type of cardio and fat burn that you do, I'd lose all of the fat I have and not gain muscle mass as quick. I consume protein at a higher percentage than carbs.
Don, the science is still there.

Your muscles need glycogen so that you can workout hard, to tear down the muscle, so the protein can build it back up (along with adequate rest). Doesn't matter if you are busting your ass building muscle or running 18 miles.

What you need to do with your carbs is be smart about when you eat them. I've done something called the Paleo Diet before which is very high in protein, moderate in carbs and fats. The only time I'd eat massive amounts of carbs was in the two hour window after workouts. Rest of the time it was minimal carbs intake. After exercise is when your muscles are starving for carbs (for glycogen). The other times the absorbtion rate is rather low (conversion of carbs into glycogen). So if you are going to eat carbs the best time is within that 2 hour window.

I'll move back to the Paleo Diet around November once my training is back up to speed. Right now I'm still rehabbing and I do what is comfortable diet wise (for me shit load of carbs all day long).

The premise of the Paleo Diet is to create an alkaline enhanced diet which reduces the catabolic effect acidosis on bone and muscle. Old people like me (43 almost 44) need to be weary of muscle breakdown.

But even now, I'm still intaking about 1 gram of protein per pound bodyweight which is about 170-180 grams a day. Endurance training does require a good cardio and oxygen system but without the muscles to fuel you ain't doing much.

post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-11-2007, 12:30 AM
Hero in a half shell

Quote:
Originally Posted by 01WhiteCobra
The only time I'd eat massive amounts of carbs was in the two hour window after workouts. Rest of the time it was minimal carbs intake.
What constitutes massive amounts? Also, does it consist of mainly complex starches (breads, pasta, potatoes etc) or does it include fruits and vegetables as well?

post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-11-2007, 06:22 AM
No Cerveza... No Trabajo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fobra
What constitutes massive amounts? Also, does it consist of mainly complex starches (breads, pasta, potatoes etc) or does it include fruits and vegetables as well?
After working out you want to eat high glycemic carbs.

Before working out is when you want to have your low glycemic carbs about an hour before.

You also want to mix in protein pre/post workout which helps with the synthesis. A good shot of 20-30 grams pre/post workout should be enough. The goal of pre-workout carbs is to top of your liver glycogen stores. The goal of post-workout carbs is to top off your muscle glycogen stores.

Other than that 2 hour window after working out you want to avoid high glycemic carbs. What constitutes massive amounts is subjective for sure. For me, after an intense 4 hour bike ride I've pretty much used up all my muscle glycogen and burned about 2500-2800 calories. So for me a massive amount might be 400 calories per hour for three hours after the ride. For "body building", especially when you are cutting, you can probably get away with 100 grams (400 calories) once after working out.

Since some question the philosophy of carbs in a cutting diet I'll post up a link:

http://www.muscleblitz.com/carb_timing.htm

Regardless of whether you are building your muscles for show or go your body is your body. Your body needs the same type of fuel pre and post workout. The only thing that differs is what you do while you are working out.

When you are "body building" (for lack of a better description) your efforts are short and intense as compared to what I do... long and typically medium/high effort.

In order for me to do a tempo ride or run (for example riding 50 miles at 22-24 mph) I need to fuel and hydrate during the effort. If my training is going to last over 2 hours I shoot for 300-400 calories per hour of which 60-70% is high glycemic carbs. Typically in weight lifting you can suffice taking in water.

You can do a search on glycemic index and get a list of foods that are categorized by low/medium/high values (just a random list I pulled off the internet)

LOW GLYCEMIC INDEX FOODS (55 or less)

Skim milk
Plain Yogurt
Soy beverage
Apple/plum/orange
Sweet potato
Oat bran bread
All-Bran™
Converted or Parboiled rice
Pumpernickel bread
Al dente (firm) pasta
Lentils/kidney/baked beans
Chick peas

MEDIUM GLYCEMIC INDEX FOODS (56-69)

Banana
Pineapple
Raisins
New potatoes
Oatmeal
Popcorn
Split pea or green pea soup
Brown rice
Couscous
Basmati rice
Shredded wheat cereal
Whole wheat bread
Rye bread

HIGH GLYCEMIC INDEX FOODS

Watermelon
Dried dates
Instant mashed potatoes
Baked white potato
Parsnips
Rutabaga
Instant rice
Corn Flakes™
Rice Krispies™
Cheerios™
Bagel, white
Soda crackers
Jellybeans
French fries

post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-11-2007, 04:20 PM
Hero in a half shell

For your post workout, do you only eat foods with a high glycemic index or do you include medium glycemic with high glycemic?

post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-11-2007, 04:50 PM
No Cerveza... No Trabajo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fobra
For your post workout, do you only eat foods with a high glycemic index or do you include medium glycemic with high glycemic?
I'll probably get a big from everyone but my typical post recovery meal is 16 ozs of skim milk with 6 teaspoons of sucrose (table sugar). Gives me a great 4:1 carb to protein ratio and about 320 calories with about 64 grams of carbs and 16 grams of protein. The skim milk is low GI, the sucrose is high GI so its mixed up.

Then I'll take a shower and then follow up with turkey or chicken sandwich with tomatoes, onions, lettuce, mustard on whole wheat bread. Whole wheat bread is high on the GI scale and about 140 calories for two slices (24g carbs, 4g fiber). That's a typical meal but I've been known to substitute this with waffles or pancakes with maple syrup and bananas as well. Depends on what I'm hungry for. If I do do pancakes or waffles I'll typically do a whey protein shake with it (just protein and water).

post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-11-2007, 10:21 PM
Scared s**tless

that sounds about like what I do. I have 8 oz. of fat free yogurt prior to working out, and a protein shake chased by my creatine supplement (32g sugar carbs) directly afterwards.

I picked up a glycogen supplement today, I am going to see if it helps with my recovery.

Quote:

I facepalm myself.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement