Runners... - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-03-2007, 07:34 PM Thread Starter

Runners...

Training for a half marathon. 13.1 miles. Looking for some good programs to try. Run is in November, so 4 months away.

Let me know,
D

Last edited by Cammin4V; 07-03-2007 at 07:44 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-03-2007, 08:34 PM
Genetically Blessed

Dallas Running Club?
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-03-2007, 08:59 PM
Lifer

LOL I was JUST about to make a post about running.

I started a running program just this week. Damn it feels good, but I need work.

I do a mile (every day) the first week, mile and a half the 2nd and so on. Increase my distance by a half mile each week.

With the time you need Id probably up the distance or split the week between half miles. Good luck Daniel!

CANADIANS = DOUCHERS

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-04-2007, 07:26 AM
No Cerveza... No Trabajo

Experience? Distance per week now? Any injuries you are dealing with? Training to finish or to place? How many weeks until the 1/2 marathon?

My 401K is now a 400K (was 301K)

Last edited by 01WhiteCobra; 07-04-2007 at 09:51 AM.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-04-2007, 07:29 AM
No Cerveza... No Trabajo

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1BAD06
LOL I was JUST about to make a post about running.

I started a running program just this week. Damn it feels good, but I need work.

I do a mile (every day) the first week, mile and a half the 2nd and so on. Increase my distance by a half mile each week.

With the time you need Id probably up the distance or split the week between half miles. Good luck Daniel!
Week 1: 7 miles
Week 2: 10.5 miles
Week 3: 14 miles
Week 4: 17.5 miles

Your weekly increases are a little much. You should really hold your mileage increase to about 10% a week. But you are only starting with a mile the first week so you should be ok through the first month.

How many miles per week do you want to peak at?

post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-04-2007, 12:14 PM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 01WhiteCobra
Week 1: 7 miles
Week 2: 10.5 miles
Week 3: 14 miles
Week 4: 17.5 miles

Your weekly increases are a little much. You should really hold your mileage increase to about 10% a week. But you are only starting with a mile the first week so you should be ok through the first month.

How many miles per week do you want to peak at?
Yeah Im only doing small distance, Im not entering a marathon or anything like that. I just want to peak at about 5-7 miles so.

CANADIANS = DOUCHERS

post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-04-2007, 12:51 PM
No Cerveza... No Trabajo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cammin4V
Training for a half marathon. 13.1 miles. Looking for some good programs to try. Run is in November, so 4 months away.

Let me know,
D
Hal Higdon is a well-known running coach. His programs have been used by countless people to either finish races or actually compete in races.

Beginner (to finish):
http://www.halhigdon.com/halfmarathon/novice.htm

Intermediate (to improve):
http://www.halhigdon.com/halfmarathon/inter.htm

Advanced (to compete):
http://www.halhigdon.com/halfmarathon/adv.htm

He only trains for 12 weeks so you have a few weeks to either build your distance up to the programs or you might just take week one or two and steady state that week until you are 12 weeks out.

I assume you are looking to run the Dallas Running Club Half on November 4th. That would give you 18 weeks from next Sunday. You could take week 1 or 2 from any of the programs and repeat it for the next 6 weeks and then jump into the program. If you aren't up to the first week numbers on the program you want to use build up to the first week over the next 6 weeks.

post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-04-2007, 02:37 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 01WhiteCobra
Hal Higdon is a well-known running coach. His programs have been used by countless people to either finish races or actually compete in races.

Beginner (to finish):
http://www.halhigdon.com/halfmarathon/novice.htm

Intermediate (to improve):
http://www.halhigdon.com/halfmarathon/inter.htm

Advanced (to compete):
http://www.halhigdon.com/halfmarathon/adv.htm

He only trains for 12 weeks so you have a few weeks to either build your distance up to the programs or you might just take week one or two and steady state that week until you are 12 weeks out.

I assume you are looking to run the Dallas Running Club Half on November 4th. That would give you 18 weeks from next Sunday. You could take week 1 or 2 from any of the programs and repeat it for the next 6 weeks and then jump into the program. If you aren't up to the first week numbers on the program you want to use build up to the first week over the next 6 weeks.
awesome. thats what i was looking for. this actually isn't for me. just doing some research for a friend. she runs a good amount weekly, and wont have a problem finishing. Im going to show her the intermediate and advanced and see what she thinks.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-04-2007, 04:11 PM
Genetically Blessed

Quote:
awesome. thats what i was looking for. this actually isn't for me. just doing some research for a friend. she runs a good amount weekly, and wont have a problem finishing. Im going to show her the intermediate and advanced and see what she thinks.
If she's doing it through the Dallas Running Club, that's what my wife is doing right now. We're in Dallas, I'm sure my wife would like someone to run with when she can't make the meets, if your friend isn't very far away. We're around Mockingbird and 75.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-04-2007, 04:44 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by slow99
If she's doing it through the Dallas Running Club, that's what my wife is doing right now. We're in Dallas, I'm sure my wife would like someone to run with when she can't make the meets, if your friend isn't very far away. We're around Mockingbird and 75.
she is in arlington. she has a pretty busy schedule, but ill relay the message maybe for the weekends or something.
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-05-2007, 01:01 PM
Lifer

Quote:
You need to bulk . lol
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-05-2007, 06:41 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by agiraldo
You need to bulk . lol
dont hate because im 30+ lbs less than you and lifting more...
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-06-2007, 01:27 PM
Check out my decor!

Quote:

Let me know,
D
WOW... that's a long run. Good luck with that.

http://www.myspace.com/missgirl01

Happiness is not a goal, but a way of life.

post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-06-2007, 10:14 PM
Texan

im gonna run a 10k here soon, im at about 20 miles a week now

post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-06-2007, 10:27 PM
The Medium Kabuki

just make sure you can run the length of time you plan on running the half in, once a week the last 3 weeks leading up to the half

example: if you plan on running a 9:30pace, then make sure you can run for 2 hours + during your training, even if you're not running that pace but just mixing in 10:30 miles with a few minutes of walking every 30 minutes or so

also... http://www.dallasrunningclub.com/201...ngProgram.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement