Need help with a training regiment - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-29-2007, 08:58 PM Thread Starter

Need help with a training regiment

Well one of my Marines failed his PFT today and I have been tasked with getting him back into shape. I have never been responsible for someone else's training and don't want to make things worse for him. His run time was about 5 minutes too long and his pull ups where for crap. For the pull ups I think I am going to mandate the "Armstrong Method" http://chicagomarineofficer.com/Down...ongworkout.pdf. But the run is a little harder. He was about 4 minutes over his max time of 28 minutes. So I have three weeks to at least reduce that if not get him under the 28 minutes. He is not over his max weight but it wouldn't hurt him to loose some weight either. I am pissed off at him and I have a tendency to get a little overzealous when I am pissed at my Marines. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-29-2007, 10:29 PM
No Cerveza... No Trabajo

So, 32 minutes for a 3 mile run? About a 10:39 pace. You should be able to see some good improvement. 10:39 pace to me indicates he hasn't been running very much up to this point.

28 minutes would be a 9:18 pace. So we need to shave a 1:21 off his mile pace.

As a general rule every pound you are over your ideal weight is worth two seconds per mile.

So, losing 10 pounds would decrease his pace about 20 seconds per mile. Worth one minute of time without doing a damn thing. So get his ass to lose 10 pounds and you have 1 minute a mile to whittle down.

If you are striving for a 28 minute 3 mile run then:

Week 1
Day 1: 3 mile run, easy pace is fine. Probably what his pace is now.
Day 2: 5x400 yard repeats. Run the 400 yards hard, recover by walking/jogging 400 yards
Day 3: 3 mile run, easy pace is fine.
Day 4: 30 minute temp run. 5 minute easy running, speed up so its a hard run, then slow down towards the end.
Day 5: Let him sleep
Day 6: 4 mile fast. Bust his ass. Tell him he is a fat body.
Day 7: 60 minute run. Easy pace we want his ass on his feet for 60 minutes with his legs moving.

Week 2
Day 1: 3 mile run, easy pace is fine. Probably what his pace is now.
Day 2: 8x200 yard repeats. Run the 200 yards hard, recover by walking/jogging 200 yards
Day 3: 3 mile run, easy pace is fine
Day 4: 30 minute tempo run like above
Day 5: Let his fat ass sleep
Day 6: 4 miles fast as he can run
Day 7: 65 minute run. Easy pace we want his ass on his feet for 65 minutes with his legs moving

Week 3
Day 1: 3 mile run, easy pace
Day 2: 6x400 yard repeats. Run the 400 yards hard, recover by walking/jogging 400 yards
Day 3: 3 mile run, easy pace is fine
Day 4: 30 minute tempo run like above
Day 5: Let his smaller but still fat ass rest
Day 6: 5 miles fast as he can run
Day 7: 70 minute run, easy is fine

There isn't much you can do in three weeks with running. When I set someone up on a plan I typically ask for a 8 week minimum commitment for a 5K (3.1 miles) and 10 week minimum commitment for a 10K (6.2 miles)

I'd say if he follows the above program he actually has a shot at 28 minutes but more than likely you'll get him under 30. How much under 30 depends on how much he busts his ass on days 2, 4, 6.

You need to train in 4 key areas for running: endurance (those Sunday runs), stamina (the day 4 run), Speed (the day 6 run) and Sprint (the day 2 stuff).

Doing anything more than above will certainly overtrain this foo'. This may actually over train his ass. If that is the case, take out Day 3 and let his ass rest.

My 401K is now a 400K (was 301K)
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-29-2007, 10:53 PM Thread Starter

Looks good to me, but hell I may die with that schedule, I will be doing everything he does, I won't ask any of my Marines to do something I won't do. I just started running again but I had more time to prepare. Even then I still ran a 23:17 and that coupled with my 17 pullups and 100 crunches puts my 27 year old ass in the First Class PFT group. And I am a smoker.

Other than this he really is a good Marine, his uniform is squared away, he knows his job, and never has to be told what to do next (at work). I was really disappointed in his performance but he didn't make any excuses either. He just said he would fix it and wanted my assistance in training since I live the closest to him even though that had already been determined by our SNCOIC. Thanks for the help.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-30-2007, 10:40 AM
Rookie

just have him do a fast walk next time and not a slow walk.

You wont be able to help a reserve anyway.

87 LX Hatch -- Project 302 [email protected] -- 4 Sale
89 4 eye coupe (Grayhorse)
07 Harley Truck S/C
08 G-37S
LockoutSupplements.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement