Does this really work??? - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-26-2007, 08:09 PM Thread Starter
Owned!!

Does this really work???

this guy at school keeps telling me if i want to lose weight that i should drink alot of milk? i always thought milk was really fattening could someone clear this up for me?

www.myspace.com/dmoney86
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-26-2007, 08:45 PM Thread Starter
Owned!!

anyone?

www.myspace.com/dmoney86
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-26-2007, 09:00 PM
Scared s**tless

If you lived off of 1% milk, sure you could. You would be gobbling up a lot of fat though. You also miss a lot of the nutrients other foods provide.

If you weighed 200 pounds and wanted a 2,000 calorie diet, you would have to consume 160 ounces of milk per day (1 gallon, 16 oz.). Nutritionally, you would come to 240g carbs, 160g protein and 50g of fat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarrisonBT
I sound shit out man, lol. Firefox didnt have a suggestion. I figure A) I'm waay too far off, or B) It's spanish, and Firefox is an English Fox.

I facepalm myself.

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-26-2007, 09:15 PM
No Cerveza... No Trabajo

If maybe milk was the only thing you drank.

The calcium in milk is supposed to help burn fat instead of store fat. Maybe that is where you friend is getting "drink alot of milk"

calories in < calories expended... weight loss

My 401K is now a 400K (was 301K)
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-26-2007, 09:25 PM Thread Starter
Owned!!

im not a big fan of milk so i guess i will just keep to drinking lots of water and running thanks guys

www.myspace.com/dmoney86
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-27-2007, 10:41 AM
My Boy!

I know what this is referring to. It is mroe the calcium in the milk and dairy products.

The studies were like this:

A study of people dieting were split into groups, one group did what they were doing, and the other group were given dairy for the calsium and they lost more weight than the other group that took in less calcium.

The next study was like this:
the RDA of Calcium is 1000mg, most americans get about 800 a day so they made up a group of people and put them on a diet and they were taking in 800 mg a day and they took another group with the exact same diet and subbed in additional calcium products (to take them to about 1200mg) to equal the same calories a day , and the higher calcium lost twice the fat as the other group.

One other note - you can have too much calcium. they say that 2000 is the amount where the calcium will start blocking absorption of Zink and 2 other minerals that I can't remember right now.

1200 mg of calcium can be had by drinking three 8oz cups of milk a day. You can get it from other sources also.

Also they stated that taking calcium suppliments did not have the same effect as eating the calcium in the actual foods. Something about the calories it took to break down the food that contained the calcium vs not using those calories to digest the suppliments.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-27-2007, 10:44 AM
My Boy!

Here is a list of foods that have vcalcium and at the end the number is the amount of calcium in the food....

Plain, fat-free yogurt 1 cup 450
Grilled cheese sandwich 1 sandwich 371
American cheese 2 ounces 348
Ricotta cheese, part skim 1/2 cup 337
Fruit yogurt 1 cup 315 30
Cheddar cheese 1 1/2 ounces 305
Milk (fat free or low fat) 1 cup 300
Orange juice with added calcium 1 cup 300
Soy beverage with added calcium 1 cup 250300
Mozzarella cheese, part skim, low moisture 1 ounce 207
Tofu (with calcium sulfate on ingredient list) 1/2 cup 204
Waffle, homemade with milk, 7-inch 1 191
Macaroni and cheese 1/2 cup 180
Collards, boiled, frozen 1/2 cup 179
English muffin, whole wheat 1 175
Rice beverage, with added calcium 1 cup 150300
Pudding, made with milk chocolate, vanilla, lemon, banana 1/2 cup 147160
Cheese pizza 1 slice 111147
Collards, boiled 1/2 cup 118
Frozen yogurt (fat free or low fat) 1/2 cup 105
Broccoli, cooked or fresh 1 cup 90
Kale, boiled 1/2 cup 90
Seeds, sesame seeds, whole, dried 1 tablespoon 88
Ice cream 1/2 cup 84
Bok choy, cooked or fresh 1/2 cup 80
Cottage cheese, 2% fat 1/2 cup 78
Almonds, dry roasted 1 ounce 71
White bread 2 slices 70
Cottage cheese, 1% fat 1/2 cup 69
French toast, made with milk 1 slice 65
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-27-2007, 10:46 AM
Ted
Opulance. I has it.

Hey, It's Todd from Tyler!
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-27-2007, 10:51 AM
My Boy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted
Hey, It's Todd from Tyler!

yup, thats me!
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-27-2007, 11:09 AM
My Boy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Studly
Mens health this month touches on this subject but compared milk vs. soy milk. They elude to the fact that milk aides in building lean muscle and to drink it after a workout. Something about the milk drinkers put on 2x the muscle that soy milk drinkers did. I didn't read the entire article because I drink a lot of skim or 1/2% milk.

Yeah, I think I read somewhere that soy was an incomplete protein, that was the reason for the lower gains.
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-27-2007, 11:10 AM
Baller

Quote:
Originally Posted by DON SVO
If you lived off of 1% milk, sure you could. You would be gobbling up a lot of fat though. You also miss a lot of the nutrients other foods provide.

If you weighed 200 pounds and wanted a 2,000 calorie diet, you would have to consume 160 ounces of milk per day (1 gallon, 16 oz.). Nutritionally, you would come to 240g carbs, 160g protein and 50g of fat.
All this time I thought a gallon was 128 oz...heh...
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-27-2007, 11:25 AM
My Boy!

Here is the stuff I read. I was a little off in my above post...

Exerpt from "The Abs Diet" by David Zinczenko (Editor-in-chief of Men's Health)
"Calcium: The future of fat fighting
You've seen more than enough milk moustaches to know that calcium strengthens bones, but did you know that calcium can also firm up your gut? Researchers ar Harvard Medical School showed that those who ate three servings of dairy a day - which in conjunction with other foods provides about 1200 milligrams of calcium (about the daily recommendation) - were 60% less likely to be overweight. In studies at the Univeristy of Tennessee, researchers put subjects on diets that were 500 calories a day less than they were used to eating. Yup, the subjects lost weight - about 1 pound a week. But when researchers put another set of subjects on the same diet but added dairy to their meals, their fat loss doubled, to 2 pounds a week. Same calorie intake, double the fat loss.
Calcium seems to limit the amount of new fat your body can make, according to the University of Tennessee research team. In another study conducted in the same lab, men who added 3 servings of yogurt a day to their diets lost 61% more body fat and 81% more stomach fat over 12 weeks than men who didn't eayt yogurt. A study in Hawaii found that teens with the highest calcium intakes were thinner and leaner than those getting less calcium.
Some researchers speculate that dairy calcium helps to fight fat because it increases the thermic effect of eating - in other words, you burn more calories digesting calcium-righ foods than you would if you ate something with equal but no calcium. That's one reason why calcium suppliments, though good for bone-building and other bodily functions, don't have the same effect as dairy - fewer calories to digest, so fewer calories to burn"

post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-28-2007, 12:24 AM
Scared s**tless

OF COURSE it's 128 ounces. Fuck ya'll! I was in a rush!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarrisonBT
I sound shit out man, lol. Firefox didnt have a suggestion. I figure A) I'm waay too far off, or B) It's spanish, and Firefox is an English Fox.

I facepalm myself.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement