View Poll Results: treadmill or elliptical
treadmill 3 23.08%
elliptical 10 76.92%
Voters: 13. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-22-2007, 09:42 AM Thread Starter
Time Served

treadmill or elliptical

yes i know treadmills are bad for your knees, but how bad? ive been jogging everyday for about 2 weeks and my knees feel really weird so i was wondering if i would get a just-as-effective workout on ellipticals instead. i would, of course, go longer on the ellipticals though!

Last edited by danthelion; 06-22-2007 at 10:12 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-22-2007, 10:04 AM
No Cerveza... No Trabajo

Neither, I'd go crazy on a treadmill or elliptical.

Those of you suffering from knee problems running may want to go through this site and maybe order his DVD:

http://www.posetech.com

Probably the most efficient running method out there.

My 401K is now a 400K (was 301K)
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-22-2007, 10:13 AM Thread Starter
Time Served

theres a certain technique to run? weirddddd

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-22-2007, 10:15 AM
No Cerveza... No Trabajo

Quote:
Originally Posted by danthelion
theres a certain technique to run? weirddddd
If you want to run long and injury free.

post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-22-2007, 10:15 AM
Animalistic Intensitiy

I alternate,
Mon. and Wed. = run
Tues. and Thurs. = precore

Joe.

2000 2v

Quote:
Originally Posted by Undertaker
WTF IS A FISTING? Like a fight?
Quote:
Originally Posted by NaSSty Nate
A fight to get his/her fist in your twat...
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-22-2007, 11:22 AM Thread Starter
Time Served

Quote:
Originally Posted by 01WhiteCobra
If you want to run long and injury free.
lol ill have to research into that
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-22-2007, 11:23 AM Thread Starter
Time Served

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slpr281
I alternate,
Mon. and Wed. = run
Tues. and Thurs. = precore

Joe.
yeah since i cut my hours down at work and took summer classes, i started to work out alot more... prob at least 5-6 times a week now. tuesdays and thursdays are cardio days for at least a good hour or so
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-22-2007, 11:49 AM
Animalistic Intensitiy

Quote:
yeah since i cut my hours down at work and took summer classes, i started to work out alot more... prob at least 5-6 times a week now. tuesdays and thursdays are cardio days for at least a good hour or so

I hit cardio for about 12 - 15 minutes before free weight training 4x's a week....2 on 2 off.

Joe.

2000 2v

Quote:
Originally Posted by Undertaker
WTF IS A FISTING? Like a fight?
Quote:
Originally Posted by NaSSty Nate
A fight to get his/her fist in your twat...
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-22-2007, 11:50 AM
Lifer

I use the elliptical since there is less stress on my knees and I can vary my workouts for cutting or endurance training.

96 Laser red GT
2002 Lincoln Navigator
91 rio red coupe SOLD
90 blue coupe SOLD
2001 F150 SOLD
2004 R6 - SOLD
www.2bones.com
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-22-2007, 12:08 PM
Lifer

I really don't see how people do ellipticals, I can not get my HR up on them. Have you thought of getting a bike, seems like a good alternative to me.

02-z28
post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-22-2007, 01:30 PM
No Cerveza... No Trabajo

Quote:
lol ill have to research into that
I'm flat footed and very much an over pronator. I struggled with ITB syndrome and "runners knee" for years.

Now, I'm pretty much running pain free, my pace has increased and I can wear lighter shoes made for neutral runners and not the anchors made for over-pronating flat-footers. My shoe weight went from 14oz+ to under 9oz. Doesn't seem like much until I realized I was hitting the ground and picking each foot up about 630 times per mile.

A really easy way to learn the technique is to find some good grass (like a football field) and run barefooted. Your body will naturally get you onto the balls of your feet and with proper form.

post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-22-2007, 03:42 PM Thread Starter
Time Served

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronin6135
I really don't see how people do ellipticals, I can not get my HR up on them. Have you thought of getting a bike, seems like a good alternative to me.
i had 4 chained together in my garage when i was mowing my lawn and when i came back they were all gone. thats why i dont have a bike anymore damn irving, they were pretty deep inside the garage too.
post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-22-2007, 04:15 PM
JPS

I have both an ellipticals and a treadmill. I love to do a quick 10 minute run first thing in the morning followed by weights. I end with a 10 minute elliptical workout. I absolutely HATE the elliptical. I'd rather have a conversation with my ex (and I have a restraining order on him) than get on the elliptical ... but I assume it helps so I keep doing it.

*edit* For those that don't know/remember me, I'm older than dirt and my knees are fine...so far.

JPS
post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-22-2007, 07:57 PM Thread Starter
Time Served

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPS
I have both an ellipticals and a treadmill. I love to do a quick 10 minute run first thing in the morning followed by weights. I end with a 10 minute elliptical workout. I absolutely HATE the elliptical. I'd rather have a conversation with my ex (and I have a restraining order on him) than get on the elliptical ... but I assume it helps so I keep doing it.

*edit* For those that don't know/remember me, I'm older than dirt and my knees are fine...so far.

JPS
i dont know jps, dirt is pretty old, its been around since forever!
post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-23-2007, 01:42 AM Thread Starter
Time Served

Quote:
Originally Posted by busted90
I use the elliptical since there is less stress on my knees and I can vary my workouts for cutting or endurance training.
so what do you do for cutting? lower speeds, longer times?
post #16 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-23-2007, 08:06 PM Thread Starter
Time Served

oh and does anyone know what the average person burns everyday? (calorie-wise) i'm trying to count my calories but my mom keeps making some damn good home cooked meals.. i know i dont go over 1600 calories a day though.
post #17 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-24-2007, 10:22 AM
My Boy!

Quote:
oh and does anyone know what the average person burns everyday? (calorie-wise) i'm trying to count my calories but my mom keeps making some damn good home cooked meals.. i know i dont go over 1600 calories a day though.
That would be your maintenance level of calories a day. If I eat about 2400 or so calories a day I will neither loose nor gain weight. I take in 2400 cal and my body burns 2400 cal.

Now that varies for every person. Depending on metabolism and the amount of exercise you do daily/weekly, and to a degree the type of food you eat because some of it uses more calories to just digest it, and othe foods will go straight to fat storage.
post #18 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-24-2007, 10:26 AM
My Boy!

Quote:
if mom is making home cooked meals and you are eating much of that I'd bet you are getting over 1600 cal.

Anyway, how old are you and what is your height and weight and what type of exercise do you get normally?

For a 25 year old male that is 5'-9" and weighs 170 lbs who is sedentary, this one web site calculator claims that person would burn 2597 cal a day. That sounds a little high to me though.
post #19 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-24-2007, 01:52 PM Thread Starter
Time Served

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd
if mom is making home cooked meals and you are eating much of that I'd bet you are getting over 1600 cal.

Anyway, how old are you and what is your height and weight and what type of exercise do you get normally?

For a 25 year old male that is 5'-9" and weighs 170 lbs who is sedentary, this one web site calculator claims that person would burn 2597 cal a day. That sounds a little high to me though.
well when mom makes food, i always tell myself to limit the serving size so it might be okay. im 18, 175 pounds, 5' 11" and i exercise 5-6 days a week. an average day consists of:
30 minutes of cardio
many weight exercises(should i list them all?) lasts for 2 hours, then 15 minutes of cardio to end. but i also have two days of pure cardio, usually for around an hour
post #20 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-25-2007, 04:41 PM
Banned

On weight days I do the treadmill for 10 minutes to get my heart rate up and I try and keep my resting period between sets at a minimal to keep my heart going pretty strong. On cardio days I usually pick a machine and stay on it for an hour. I put the resistance level up where I can feel the burn in my legs, but it doesn't kill me after just a few minutes.

On the treadmill, I keep the speed low 5-6mph because it does kill your knees especially at higher speeds when you're just trying to keep up with the belt.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement