Stationary bike vs. treadmill - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-15-2007, 11:31 AM Thread Starter

Stationary bike vs. treadmill

I have an incline treadmill, does this give as good of a cardio workout as a stationary bike?

I understand there are variables like how hard you push it on the meachine.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-15-2007, 11:40 AM
Hired Hand

I'd think that you could push yourself harder on the treadmill, but the bike will be much easier on your knees, and will still allow you to get your heartrate where it needs to be.

Raven 2006 Yamaha R6S

"If it has horsepower or tits you're gonna have trouble with it eventually..."
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-15-2007, 01:59 PM
No Cerveza... No Trabajo

Which ever you will do on a consistent basis is what is right for you. As Raven points out and I can attest to, running will beat you up alot more than cycling.

I assume you are talking calories spent.

Running burns about 110 calories per mile regardless of speed. Doesn't matter if you run a 10 minute mile or a 6 minute mile you will burn 100 calories (but obviously you will finish the 6 minute mile 4 minutes before a 10 minute mile!)

In general, the average person will burn about 31 calories per mile on the bike at 15 miles per hour. So riding 20 miles will burn about 620 calories.

So riding 15MPH for 20 miles on the bike will burn about as many calories as running 5.6 miles... at any speed.

Riding 15MPH for 20 miles will take you about an hour and 20 minutes to complete. Running 5.6 miles (at 10 minutes a mile, an easy sustainable pace) will take 56 minutes.

So, to burn the same number of calories biking vs. running, you can be done with running about 24 minutes before the bike ride is done.

Lance Armstrong ran the NYC marathon last year finishing in 2 hous, 59 minutes and some change. A very excellent time for someone that isn't necessarily a runner. Some people train for years and never approach a 3 hour marathon.

He only "ran" for a few months prior to this. Up till that point he was a biker (well, when he was a teen he was a very accomplished triathlete but this was many many years ago).

So if you are really just saying "cardio" and wanting a strong heart then I'd say biking vs. running are very similiar. Both stress the heart and cardio system and your heart isn't going to know if it was stressed because of running or cycling.

My 401K is now a 400K (was 301K)

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-18-2007, 12:03 AM
Texan

nice name drop

post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-18-2007, 09:43 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the replies. I guess I'll stick with the treadmill until I find a good deal on a bike then I'll alternate.
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-18-2007, 10:34 AM
No Cerveza... No Trabajo

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0 GT 2
nice name drop
what name drop?

post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-18-2007, 11:33 AM
Lifer

Which would you recommend for weight loss, and why?

I can ride 20-22 mph on the bike, at a low resistance, and it says (not sure how much to believe it) that I only burned about 300cals.

I can walk for 30mins on the treadmill (WALK) with the incline all the way up and burn the same calories, or more. The inlcine may be all the way up, but it still isn't really difficult at all.

Seems the treadmill works best for me...

SQ

Semper Paratus - Proudly serving in the USCG
----------------------------------------------------------
1991 LX Coupe 5.0 - Bimini on Black - Mostly stock Weekend driver
1985 LX Coupe 5.0 - Still in pieces
2008 Nissan Rogue SL AWD Premium - Wife's Ride
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-18-2007, 12:39 PM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Studly
I ride the bike at the gym, it isn't worth the extra 30 or so calories a few times a week to work out on a treadmill and kill my knees. My main goal is to get my metabolism going early and keep it going throughout the day.
Do you use the treadmill to run/jog or to walk?

I haven't noticed any knee or joint pains from just walking on the treadmill. Not any more than I would get while on the bike at least...

SQ

post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-18-2007, 03:04 PM

On my "cardio" days I usually walk on the treadmill 4mph at a 15degree incline.. This burns the most cals to me.... more than 100 in 10 mins.. Less than 1mile
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-18-2007, 03:39 PM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by WFO347
On my "cardio" days I usually walk on the treadmill 4mph at a 15degree incline.. This burns the most cals to me.... more than 100 in 10 mins.. Less than 1mile
That's exactly what I do...except I usually do 3mph or 3.5mph. At 4mph, I am basically jogging. I guess I have shorter legs

post #11 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-18-2007, 03:41 PM
Moved to dfw mustangs.net

I kinda figured this thread was going to be another plane/treadmil thread lol
post #12 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-19-2007, 08:33 PM
B-WIZ

Location: There's a huge chance I've been registered longer than you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lowthreeohz
I kinda figured this thread was going to be another plane/treadmil thread lol
lol

DFWSTANGS: just a jump-the-gun, criticize and judge-all-before-you-know-shit, racists, extremist, whats-a-mustang?, internet forum.
post #13 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-19-2007, 10:25 PM
No Cerveza... No Trabajo

Quote:
no, walking usually doesn't hurt my knees, but it also doesn't elevate your heart rate as much as jogging or riding the bike, I wouldn't think. After playing catcher for 10 years, I try not to do anything that stresses the knees like running on a hard surface or squats.
Walking a mile or running a mile = same amount of calorie burn.

Walking just takes longer. Unless you are an Olympic walker who can pop out 6 minute miles.

post #14 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-20-2007, 10:31 AM
No Cerveza... No Trabajo

Quote:
you burn the calories, but do you get the same cardiovascular benifits? I would think exercising with an elevated hear rate is better for you than just walking.
Depends on many different factors.

To gain cardiovascular benefits you are looking at putting yourself at 60-80% of maximum heart rate. For an untrained person this is relatively easy to do by walking. Fast walking (< 15 minute miles) would even put a so-so in shape person into the zone.

A person that is 25 would need to hit 117 beats per minute to get into the zone on the bottom end and 156 beats per minute on the upper end. You can do that with walking at a decent pace.

Running obviously uses energy quicker. So it doesn't take as long (in terms of time) to get the same benefits as walking.

Running increases the chance of injury over walking because impact ratio for running is about 3-4 times bodyweight where as walking is about 1 times bodyweight.

If the goal is cardio fitness and weight loss only then walking, while not as efficient, is as much beneficial as running (you receive the same benefit as running just takes you longer).

In my case, running is my only option, because there is no way in hell I'm a good enough walker to walk a 3 hour marathon.

I'm not talking about walking, holding your girlfriend's hand and strolling around the lake. I'm talking walking less than 15 minute miles.

Interestingly, the elite walkers can finish a 10K in less than 42 minutes which comes out to a 6 minute, 46 second pace per mile. Hell, some dude from Spain walked 40 KM (just short of a marathon) in 3 hours and 2 minutes. That's about 7 minutes 16 seconds per mile and only about 30 seconds a mile more than my personal best running a marathon.

Basically, the difference between race walking and running is that in race walking one foot must be on the ground at all times.

In comparison, the last Dallas Whiterock Marathon had an average finish time of 4:21:04.

Bottom line comes down to what the goal is. Alot of people on this forum mix cardio with weight loss or body fat percentage loss. Walking is probably fine for them. My goal with training is to run a sub 10 hour Ironman triathlon. Walking ain't gonna cut it.

Last edited by 01WhiteCobra; 06-20-2007 at 10:38 AM.
post #15 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-20-2007, 11:30 AM
My Boy!

Quote:
I am reading a lot lately that a good way to lose weight is to do a high intesity short duration work out, like sprints. Sprint for 30 seconds, rest for 90 seconds, ect.... for 16 minutes. You do that every other day between weights and a light 30 minute cardio session. It apparently causes your metabolism to spike and stay in high gear well after your workout. They mention using a treadmill or a bike, so I would guess a workout like this wouldn't really matter what you use. I am thinking more and more the goal to weight loss isn't how much you burn at the gym, it is how much you burn out of the gym, especially since we spend most of the time out of the gym. I ride the bike at the gym, it isn't worth the extra 30 or so calories a few times a week to work out on a treadmill and kill my knees. My main goal is to get my metabolism going early and keep it going throughout the day.

What have you been reading? I have been reading the same things lately. HIIT Training is based on this theory. And I read something like every pound of lean muscle you add can burn up to 50 calories a day just to maintain it! So, adding lean mass will cause you to burn more calories in the entire day, not just during the time you spend doing exercise. 6 lbs of lean muscle would equal up to 300 calories a day extra burned just to maintain it. That would offset ShaunQ's "I can ride 20-22 mph on the bike, at a low resistance, and it says (not sure how much to believe it) that I only burned about 300cals." And it does that while you are watching tv or sleeping even.
post #16 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-20-2007, 11:46 AM
My Boy!

Quote:
Mens Health

The Abs Diet is written by the Men's Health Editor. Good book.
post #17 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-20-2007, 11:54 AM
No Cerveza... No Trabajo

Quote:
Makes sense, but I don't see too many people walking on a treadmill going that fast. Maybe they do, but at the same time, I don't have that much time to spend in the gym to walk on a treadmill and get a significant cardo workout.
4MPH would be a 15 minute mile. It doesn't take too much to build up to that.

But then again, when I do go to the gym (only twice a week) I see maybe one motivated person out of 20. The rest are just going through the motions, talking on their cellphones, hanging out at the water fountain and looking at themselves in the mirror.

post #18 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-20-2007, 02:48 PM
My Boy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 01WhiteCobra
4MPH would be a 15 minute mile. It doesn't take too much to build up to that.

But then again, when I do go to the gym (only twice a week) I see maybe one motivated person out of 20. The rest are just going through the motions, talking on their cellphones, hanging out at the water fountain and looking at themselves in the mirror.

One big reason I don't go to gyms. Waiting for people like that to get off the equipment frustrates me.
post #19 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-20-2007, 04:28 PM
My Boy!

Quote:
haha..I got really annoyed the other day..guess it was a group of kids home for the summer that all knew each other and happen to be up at the gym at the same time. 2 chicks and a dude. I was riding the bike, sweating my ass off, and there they stood about 5 feet in front of me talking about people they knew and how "Californian" they had become and how some chick got fake boobs. Really annoyed the shit out of me...

rant off

Did they at least have pics of the new boobs?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement