Im a dead man - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-06-2007, 11:40 PM Thread Starter
Lifer

Im a dead man

No, but really, just sent off my registration for the hotter'n hell 100. HH2007
I have been ridding anywhere from 6-8 hours a week and plan on stepping it up each week until the week before. Im hoping to drop at least 30 more pounds before that weekend. I figure by doing this it gives me a goal to work towards to keep me motivated through the summer. This will be my first 100K race ever so im looking forward to it. Any one have any good advice on things to help me be as prepared as i can. Got a little nervous after I read that 5 people have died in this event. Oh yeah and what is the deal with pickle juice? I keep seeing people talking about drinking it. Is it just to replace salt?

02-z28
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-07-2007, 06:38 AM
No Cerveza... No Trabajo

Congrats. I like this stuff better than pickle juice:

http://www.nuun.com/

People die riding centuries, running marathons, etc. There are also people that train inadequately and have medical conditions they don't know about.

If you are doing the metric century you should be good with (on a 10-12 week base)

Mon: rest
Tue: 60-90 minutes, hills if possible
Wed: 60 minutes easy
Thu: 60-90 minutes throw in some intervals (5 minutes hard, 5 minutes easy, 5 minutes hard, 5 minutes easy... build up to 4-5 repeats)
Fri: 30-60 minutes easy
Sat: 60-120 minutes, 30 minutes good effort
Sun: 60-120 minute, easy

Plan to do two 35-40 mile rides at least twice. You can do them back to back weekends but not any closer than 2 weeks before your 100K.

Pedal cadence... work up to where you can sustain at least 80 RPMs.
Increase your mileage only 10% from the previous week (prevent injury)

The week prior to the 100K effort taper your mileage maybe:
Mon: 60 minutes
Tue: rest
Wed: 45 minutes
Thu: rest
Fri: 5-10 miles really easy
Sat: 100K

Not sure if I'm doing the HH100 century or not this year. Its pretty close to the PrairieMan triathlon (1.2m swim, 56m bike, 13.1m run) on Sept 9th but most likely I'll do the HH100.

Usually I do the HH100 and the Katy Flatland Century (down in Houston, mid-July) each year and not the PrairieMan. But the way things worked out this year with the achilles rupture last October I need to do the PrairieMan to gauge my recovery.

My 401K is now a 400K (was 301K)
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-07-2007, 08:16 AM Thread Starter
Lifer

Thanks alot for that. I like how that is setup. I was going to ask you about pedal cadence I finally got mine hooked up last week. So I guess 80 is key? right now it seems I am averaging 65-75 on my rides. Im going out today so Ill try and see what 80 is like. Thanks again.

02-z28

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-07-2007, 08:24 AM
No Cerveza... No Trabajo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronin6135
Thanks alot for that. I like how that is setup. I was going to ask you about pedal cadence I finally got mine hooked up last week. So I guess 80 is key? right now it seems I am averaging 65-75 on my rides. Im going out today so Ill try and see what 80 is like. Thanks again.
Yea, 80 to 100 is where you want to be at on flat terrain. It may take some time but slowly increase your pedal cadence each time you go out.

50-70 will wear out the knees. Shift to an easier gear if you are under 80.

post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-07-2007, 11:08 AM Thread Starter
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 01WhiteCobra
Yea, 80 to 100 is where you want to be at on flat terrain. It may take some time but slowly increase your pedal cadence each time you go out.

50-70 will wear out the knees. Shift to an easier gear if you are under 80.
Dang I had no idea it was suppose to be that high. Ill have to work on that. My knees are bad enough I don't need to hurt them anymore.

02-z28
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-07-2007, 12:45 PM
Lifer

Sounds hard, good luck!
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-07-2007, 05:20 PM
Rhabdomyolysis anyone?

People have always struggled with it, but it is a lot better than it used to be as far as rest stops..water etc....as for a drink.....Nothing is better than plain ol water...and lots of it... A few pieces of dried fruit or trail mix will help the sodium issue, and give you some much needed carb energy also. (just make sure they are complex!)

Crossfit.com <--- no wimps allowed
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-08-2007, 03:09 AM Thread Starter
Lifer

Thanks 564826.
flashstang04, I have always have said the same thing about water. I had some guy lecture me at the bottom of the Grand canyon on how it was ignorant to only bring water and not gatorade.

02-z28
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-08-2007, 08:50 AM
No Cerveza... No Trabajo

I got a slightly different opinion on hydration and nutrition during century rides or long distance triathlons.

Given my bodyweight (175) and my average MPH on a century or long distance triathlon bike portion I'm looking to take in a minimum of 1500-2200 calories during the bike portion. I'm not getting that from a few pieces of fruit.

Check out Nuun for hydration (personal fave is kona cola with a little caffeine kick). I'm pretty sure you can pick it up at Richardson Bike Mart (i buy it online). Also pick up 10 gel packs (what ever looks good to you).

Ride for 5 hours one weekend eating a few pieces of fruit and drinking water the entire time.

The next weekend ride for 5 hours taking in a gel pack every thirty minutes, drinking Nuun instead of water. I take in a gel pack every 20 minutes but 30 minutes is enough nutrition to feel the difference between the two rides.

Note the difference on how you feel during the ride and more importantly after the ride and the day after the ride.

post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-08-2007, 12:08 PM
Rhabdomyolysis anyone?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 01WhiteCobra
I got a slightly different opinion on hydration and nutrition during century rides or long distance triathlons.

Given my bodyweight (175) and my average MPH on a century or long distance triathlon bike portion I'm looking to take in a minimum of 1500-2200 calories during the bike portion. I'm not getting that from a few pieces of fruit.

Check out Nuun for hydration (personal fave is kona cola with a little caffeine kick). I'm pretty sure you can pick it up at Richardson Bike Mart (i buy it online). Also pick up 10 gel packs (what ever looks good to you).

Ride for 5 hours one weekend eating a few pieces of fruit and drinking water the entire time.

The next weekend ride for 5 hours taking in a gel pack every thirty minutes, drinking Nuun instead of water. I take in a gel pack every 20 minutes but 30 minutes is enough nutrition to feel the difference between the two rides.

Note the difference on how you feel during the ride and more importantly after the ride and the day after the ride.

Personally I see no reason at all to use anything caffeine related. If not only for the sake of it being a diuretic. If that works for you, and you can adapt to it, I say stick with it. I prefer a more natural approach though. I don't want to be in the process of digestion anymore than I have to on a century ride. That energy is best used as physical exertion. The fruit is natural, and can be mixed, so that you can derive energy from natural sugar (such as in raisins)and carbs since it is used for energy before calories are (since it has a calorie sparing effect, energy levels are sustained longer). But then again, that is what has worked for me, and people I train, it is by no means the law for everyones body type and metabolism.

post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-08-2007, 12:09 PM
Rhabdomyolysis anyone?

Quote:
Thanks 564826.
flashstang04, I have always have said the same thing about water. I had some guy lecture me at the bottom of the Grand canyon on how it was ignorant to only bring water and not gatorade.

Perhaps Gatorade evaporates slower?

I can see that being a concern at the bottom of the GC

post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-08-2007, 12:21 PM
No Cerveza... No Trabajo

Quote:
Originally Posted by flashstang04
Personally I see no reason at all to use anything caffeine related. If not only for the sake of it being a diuretic. If that works for you, and you can adapt to it, I say stick with it.
During prolonged exertion the onset of fatigue correlates closely with the depletion of glycogen and delayed if glycogen is spared.

Free fatty acids being metabolised can lead to reduced depletion of glycogen. Caffeine increases FFAs. In fact it can produce up to 50% more FFA over 3-4 hours.

Caffeine also effects the central nervous system and a postive effect on muscle.

You will also find studies that detail the myth that caffeine will cause problems during physical exertion (in terms of dehydration):

Falk, B., Burstein, R., Rosenblum, J., Shapiro, Y., Zylber-Katz, E., Bashan, N. Effects of caffeine ingestion on body fluid balance and thermoregulation during exercise. Can J Physiol Pharmacol 68:889-892, 1990

Gordon, N., Myburgh, J., Kruger, P., Kempff, P., Cilliers, J., Moolman, J., Grobler, H. Effects of caffeine on thermoregulatory and myocardial function during endurance performance. S Afr Med J 62:644-647, 1982

As far as what to eat its whatever you can stomach.

During long distance triathlons I'll eat during the bike but by the time the run comes the only thing I'll be able to stomach is water and coke. I'll have about 12 of each during the run portion.

post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-08-2007, 01:55 PM
Rhabdomyolysis anyone?

Sounds like you have a good system for your body type.

post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-08-2007, 02:23 PM
No Cerveza... No Trabajo

Quote:
Originally Posted by flashstang04
Sounds like you have a good system for your body type.
Yep, science is a wonderful thing.

post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-08-2007, 02:32 PM
Lifer

Quote:
No, but really, just sent off my registration for the hotter'n hell 100. HH2007
I have been ridding anywhere from 6-8 hours a week and plan on stepping it up each week until the week before. Im hoping to drop at least 30 more pounds before that weekend. I figure by doing this it gives me a goal to work towards to keep me motivated through the summer. This will be my first 100K race ever so im looking forward to it. Any one have any good advice on things to help me be as prepared as i can. Got a little nervous after I read that 5 people have died in this event. Oh yeah and what is the deal with pickle juice? I keep seeing people talking about drinking it. Is it just to replace salt?
Don't be nervous. Most people that can ride for a couple of hours, can finish a 100k. You might feel like shit, but you'll finish. For a lot of beginners, time in the saddle is tougher than the actual peddling. You're taint might be a little beat up after 4 hours in the saddle. Be sure everything having to do with the bike, fits you properly. If you have discomfort now, multiply it several times on a 4 hour ride. For heaven's sake, ENJOY IT! Ride it with some friends who will motivate you. Oh, and wipe Vaseline in your butt-crack liberally...no really. It will repel moisture (diaper rash), and lubricate your bottom so you won't chaffe.

CHL holder and Conservative...AKA "Domestic Terrorist"
post #16 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-08-2007, 03:13 PM
Rhabdomyolysis anyone?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vertnut
You're taint might be a little beat up after 4 hours in the saddle.

LOL quoted for TRUTH right there!!!

post #17 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-08-2007, 03:42 PM Thread Starter
Lifer

Quote:
Don't be nervous. Most people that can ride for a couple of hours, can finish a 100k. You might feel like shit, but you'll finish. For a lot of beginners, time in the saddle is tougher than the actual peddling. You're taint might be a little beat up after 4 hours in the saddle. Be sure everything having to do with the bike, fits you properly. If you have discomfort now, multiply it several times on a 4 hour ride. For heaven's sake, ENJOY IT! Ride it with some friends who will motivate you. Oh, and wipe Vaseline in your butt-crack liberally...no really. It will repel moisture (diaper rash), and lubricate your bottom so you won't chaffe.
Oh yeah I know about the saddle pain, after i did 64K at Munster first thing I did was ditch my old Mt. bike shorts and went and bought some nice road bike shorts. Now I can ride for 3 hours with out feeling like bubba raped me. I have thought about taking my bike in to get fitted, but i really don't have any discomfort so im not sure if it would be worth the money.

On a side note today I got some nice cross training in. . Some how managed two flats with only one spare tube and 11 miles from my car. And as luck would have it I some how forgot my cell phone. .. Oh and tried out doing 80 cadences today, definitely wore me out alot sooner, weird thing was it seemed to work different leg muscles than when I was using a slower cadence. Not sure if this is right our not. Might just be in my head. Also Just realized today, I have put more miles on my bike this week than my car.

all this talk about nutrition, I usaly stick to water on my riding days, unless im going to do an event of some sort. I mainly have this fear that by taking some sort of energy supplement or something, that I am going to counter act the 3 hours of exercise I just did. That nuun looks pretty good with no calories. Il check it out next time im out at White Rock.

02-z28
post #18 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-08-2007, 04:35 PM
No Cerveza... No Trabajo

Quote:
Oh and tried out doing 80 cadences today, definitely wore me out alot sooner, weird thing was it seemed to work different leg muscles than when I was using a slower cadence.
It takes awhile to get use to it. And yea, you'll use more/different muscles doing 80 instead of 60.

After awhile your cardio system will match up to your cadence and you'll feel the same as when you were doing less RPM. FYI, Lance Armstrong's cadence is typically 90 RPM and everyone thought he was crazy. Now everyone is training to 90 RPM.

Congrats on the cross training. Throw in some swimming and you'll be ready for a man's sport. haha.

I ride a Fizik Arione saddle specifically made for triathlons. In a tri you typically spend the bulk of your time on the front 1/3 of the saddle in aero position. It has more pad up front and is more flat across the cross section. Saves my nads for sure.

Last edited by 01WhiteCobra; 06-08-2007 at 04:42 PM.
post #19 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-10-2007, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Oh, and wipe Vaseline in your butt-crack liberally...no really. It will repel moisture (diaper rash), and lubricate your bottom so you won't chaffe.
I rode in the HH hundred mile ride for the first time last year and will be doing it again this year. They gave us some butt creme in the gift bag last year, ha, it worked though. Invest in a good pair of shorts (I prefer the bib shorts) for the ride. Your taint will thank you.

Last year I upped my water comsumption for the week leading up (I normally drink 4 liters of water a day). During the ride, each stop I would fill up two bottles with water, and two bottles with half water half powerade. Just enjoy the ride, don't over-do it. And yes, pickle juice works, but like mentioned above, other things work too. But the pickle juice is free at the stops.

Hopefully the heat index will be a little lower this year so they don't close Hell's Gate early again. I missed it by less than 15 minutes thanks to a major cramp in my calf at the rest stop at about mile 52. But as it was my first long ride, I'll be better prepared this year (plus I've dropped more hockey weight off and I'm down to 200 lbs).

Good luck to you!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement