Runners: loss of blood circulation in hands? - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-05-2007, 02:08 PM Thread Starter
Hero in a half shell

Runners: loss of blood circulation in hands?

This doesn't happen to me all the time, but when it does, it's rather annoying when I feel the numbness in my hands when I run. I usually feel it after 20-30 minutes of running either in my fat burning or cardio zone, I usually experience it faster in the cardio zone though. Does this happen to anybody else and if so, any tips on how to prevent it or is it one of those things you just deal with?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-05-2007, 02:16 PM
No Cerveza... No Trabajo

Have you just recently started running? It could be fluid going into your extremities and pooling in your hands causing circulation problems. If so, then continuing running would eventually heal the numbness itself by improving your cardio circulation.

Other than that, if it is really bothersome it would be something a doctor would have to look at.

My 401K is now a 400K (was 301K)
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-05-2007, 04:14 PM
Lifer

You should take this up with the Minister of Silly Walks.

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-05-2007, 06:37 PM Thread Starter
Hero in a half shell

Quote:
Originally Posted by 01WhiteCobra
Have you just recently started running? It could be fluid going into your extremities and pooling in your hands causing circulation problems. If so, then continuing running would eventually heal the numbness itself by improving your cardio circulation.

Other than that, if it is really bothersome it would be something a doctor would have to look at.
Recently? Depends on how you define recently. I picked it up a lot since after the physical therapy I had for my knee problem. I thought it was IBT but it turns out it was the plica that was making the snapping motion. This has been primarily due to a quad imbalance I had. Apparently I fell into the 2% of people with the quad imbalance where the outside of the quad is weaker than the inside thus making the patella track in a "c" type motion. Now, when I started getting back into running in early May, I did so very lightly, as the weeks progressed, I upped the distance and time. For the past two weeks, I have upped the fat burning type running by running/jogging about 4-6 times per week (30-40 minutes) first thing in the morning before breakfast to oxidize the fat cells better, or at least that's my understanding of what happens. I have noticed myself lean out as a result I have been fine for the past week or so except for today, I noticed it in my right hand and part of the forearm, I've even noticed it around the shoulder area before in the past

post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-05-2007, 06:42 PM Thread Starter
Hero in a half shell

Sometimes when this happens, I'll extend my arms for a few seconds and that seems to aleviate the problem, but only temporarily because that fix doesn't last too long.

post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-05-2007, 06:46 PM
Lifer

Yo Fobra, you mind directing me to any information you might have (ie. technical term) for the quad imbalance? I messed up my knee a couple months ago by over working it, or so I think, and I want to make sure I don't fall into this category that you are speaking about.

As for the numb hands, i've never had that while running...I may not feel my hands while running, but it's not annoying to me (hope that makes sense)
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-05-2007, 07:08 PM Thread Starter
Hero in a half shell

Quote:
Originally Posted by stangcrazy
Yo Fobra, you mind directing me to any information you might have (ie. technical term) for the quad imbalance? I messed up my knee a couple months ago by over working it, or so I think, and I want to make sure I don't fall into this category that you are speaking about.

As for the numb hands, i've never had that while running...I may not feel my hands while running, but it's not annoying to me (hope that makes sense)
Sure, as a self evaluation, sit in a chair like position, put your thumb and hold it somewhat firmly against the patella on the inside while leg is in 90° position, extend one leg out and watch to see how far patella glides over the thumb. If it does, then it means the inner quad muscles are dominating the outer quad muscles and means you have a quad imbalance which in turn put's A LOT more stress on the knees. This is because the patella acts like a fulcrum, it's made to track straight, not in a "c" like motion. Note, when you extend leg, regardless if patella tracks right or not, the patella should raise higher than thumb. According to the therapist I had, most peoples quads dominate on the outside, if that is the case, then the patella should track to the outside, not the inside like mine did and still slightly does. I'm still working on it by doing exercises to strengthen the outer quad. What I just described is somewhat difficult to explain to get a good visual unless you know exactly what to look for. I'd recommend going to a sports therapy place to have the knee doctors/therapists look at your knee.

Last edited by Fobra; 06-05-2007 at 07:15 PM.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-05-2007, 07:14 PM Thread Starter
Hero in a half shell

Quote:
What would/could a doctor say about that?

post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-05-2007, 11:13 PM
No Cerveza... No Trabajo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fobra
What would/could a doctor say about that?
Depends on what it is. Basically that is more of a doctor question than a trainer question.

Numbness in the hands can mean poor circulation, nerve damage or entrapment of the nerve sheath.

The ulnar nerve runs from the shoulder to the hand. The nerve can be trapped/pinched all the way down. Most commonly it gets pinched or entrapped where it runs through down through the elbow (on the inner outside). This will cause numbness in the hands typically in the ring and pinky finger area.

But, most likely, since it only appears when running I suspect its a circulation problem which is why I asked when he started back running. When you "get back on the horse" your circulation system needs to get back up to speed and isn't efficient so blood can pool in the feet and hands which will cause numbness.

If that's the case, shaking out the hands would help the situation. If its a continuous thing and even after running for a few months and the numbness still occurs its time to see a doctor and see what's up. Could be a symptom of a much larger problem.

My 401K is now a 400K (was 301K)
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-06-2007, 08:46 AM
Lifer

As a runner myself, you might check yourself when you run to see if your upper body is tight. Your shoulders should not be shrugged and your arms relaxed. Relaxing the wrists is a good triggering mechanism for the rest of the arms and shoulders.
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-06-2007, 01:59 PM Thread Starter
Hero in a half shell

Quote:
Depends on what it is. Basically that is more of a doctor question than a trainer question.

Numbness in the hands can mean poor circulation, nerve damage or entrapment of the nerve sheath.

The ulnar nerve runs from the shoulder to the hand. The nerve can be trapped/pinched all the way down. Most commonly it gets pinched or entrapped where it runs through down through the elbow (on the inner outside). This will cause numbness in the hands typically in the ring and pinky finger area.

But, most likely, since it only appears when running I suspect its a circulation problem which is why I asked when he started back running. When you "get back on the horse" your circulation system needs to get back up to speed and isn't efficient so blood can pool in the feet and hands which will cause numbness.

If that's the case, shaking out the hands would help the situation. If its a continuous thing and even after running for a few months and the numbness still occurs its time to see a doctor and see what's up. Could be a symptom of a much larger problem.
Interesting, I suppose I'll do as you say, that if it persists for another month or two to see a doctor about it, hope it's nothing serious

post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-06-2007, 02:02 PM Thread Starter
Hero in a half shell

Quote:
Originally Posted by FSON
As a runner myself, you might check yourself when you run to see if your upper body is tight. Your shoulders should not be shrugged and your arms relaxed. Relaxing the wrists is a good triggering mechanism for the rest of the arms and shoulders.
My friend has mentioned that to me before when I was going for mass, I was about 25 pounds heavier than I am now and said I looked very stiff. He mentioned that I don't look as stiff now since I've lost all that weight, but perhaps there are still some moments where I stiffen up. I'll try to watch for that next time.

post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-07-2007, 10:16 AM
JPS

Quote:

I always wondered why my hands would swell up and tingle. Gotta be it. I don't run consistantly. Guess I should get back and run daily. Thanks~

JPS
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-08-2007, 02:39 PM Thread Starter
Hero in a half shell

Quote:
Originally Posted by FSON
Well, I tried what you said, being as loose and relaxed as I could be and I still got some tingly and numb sensations is both hands. Hopefully it's just a phase

Sponsored Links
Advertisement