I'm going to start counting calories. - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 48 (permalink) Old 05-30-2007, 11:39 PM Thread Starter
Packin' up...

I'm going to start counting calories.

Right now i'm eating waay to much food and i'm not burning off any calories. Especially working from home sitting my ass in front of the computer.

I'm currently 5'11 and 220 lbs. I'm the most overweight i've been ever so it's time for me to do something.

How many calories do I need to digest daily? 2000, 2500?
Right now I eat fast food almost every other day and eat fatty snacks like chips, etc.

Last edited by Skidmark; 05-30-2007 at 11:48 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 48 (permalink) Old 05-31-2007, 12:02 AM
Texan

rather than worry about calories why not just live a less sedentary lifestyle. im not saying that like a dick or anything, but rather than worry about taking in less why not burn more?

and im not saying you shouldn't stop with the fast food and chips, but i think the alternate would be a little more effective.

post #3 of 48 (permalink) Old 05-31-2007, 12:05 AM
Texan

and....

http://www.bodybuilding.com/store/mt/hydroxyef.html

ephedra free now.

i took the 2 bottles in about 5 weeks and stopped eating fast food and junk all together at the same time and went from 213 to 186 and i've been able to keep it off since.

post #4 of 48 (permalink) Old 05-31-2007, 12:08 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0 GT 2
and....

http://www.bodybuilding.com/store/mt/hydroxyef.html

ephedra free now.

i took the 2 bottles in about 5 weeks and stopped eating fast food and junk all together at the same time and went from 213 to 186 and i've been able to keep it off since.
I'm surprised you didn't go crazy. I remember when I took ripped fuel, I couldn't do it for more than a couple weeks. Couldn't sleep, and I felt...edgy, I guess would be the best way to describe it.

Skidmark, you can actually eat quite a bit without taking in too many calories. Just eat lots of lean meats and vegetables. Chicken, fish, lean red meat. You do need to worry about moving around more too. I'm sure dicking around on a computer all the time isn't really doing much for your metabolism.
post #5 of 48 (permalink) Old 05-31-2007, 12:35 AM
Texan

Quote:
Originally Posted by poopnut2
I'm surprised you didn't go crazy. I remember when I took ripped fuel, I couldn't do it for more than a couple weeks. Couldn't sleep, and I felt...edgy, I guess would be the best way to describe it.

Skidmark, you can actually eat quite a bit without taking in too many calories. Just eat lots of lean meats and vegetables. Chicken, fish, lean red meat. You do need to worry about moving around more too. I'm sure dicking around on a computer all the time isn't really doing much for your metabolism.

i started below the minimum dosage for about a week just so i could get accustomed to it. i always started taking it early in the morning and never took it after 8 or so. i think that helped a lot.

i also completely reworked my diet at the same time so being focused on that and working out helped keep me busy.

EDIT: i guess it was more like 2 months, maybe a little more.

post #6 of 48 (permalink) Old 05-31-2007, 12:36 AM
mannish boy

purge after every other meal
post #7 of 48 (permalink) Old 05-31-2007, 12:39 AM Thread Starter
Packin' up...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooter
purge after every other meal
lol, no thanks... the best I can do is take a nice crap after a good meal.

I'm sure sitting my ass on the computer all day doesn't help me. After work I will begin to be more active and go at least walking everyday if not goto the gym for a bit.

I just assumed the basic rule for dropping weight was the right ratio of calories ate vs calories burned.
post #8 of 48 (permalink) Old 05-31-2007, 01:01 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skidmark
lol, no thanks... the best I can do is take a nice crap after a good meal.

I'm sure sitting my ass on the computer all day doesn't help me. After work I will begin to be more active and go at least walking everyday if not goto the gym for a bit.

I just assumed the basic rule for dropping weight was the right ratio of calories ate vs calories burned.
That is the right rule. It's pretty damned simple. Burn more calories than you take in. Make sure you get all your nutrients in by eating healthy, taking a multivitamin, and all that good stuff, and excercise.
post #9 of 48 (permalink) Old 05-31-2007, 11:59 AM
No Cerveza... No Trabajo

Quote:
That's all there is to it.

My 401K is now a 400K (was 301K)
post #10 of 48 (permalink) Old 05-31-2007, 01:00 PM Thread Starter
Packin' up...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 01WhiteCobra
That's all there is to it.
Well the everything talks about 2000 calories. Is 2000 the base number or is 0

Sry for all the questions
post #11 of 48 (permalink) Old 05-31-2007, 01:37 PM
RedLilPony

I don't know if this is something you want to do or not... but I just changed my eating habits to a lot more fruits/veggies and chicken and fish. I dropped a lot of junk food and eat about 1/2 of the proportions of what I was eating. I am by no means a fat ass... but I didn't want to become one. I haven't dropped any weight, but I can tell a difference in how I feel and look.

Whatever you do, I would do it a step at a time. That's what seems to be working for me... I'm getting bugged out from major changes.

post #12 of 48 (permalink) Old 05-31-2007, 01:58 PM
No Cerveza... No Trabajo

Quote:

Depends on who you are, what your fitness level is, body fat percentage, what type of exercise you do and how often, etc., etc.

You can start at 2K a day and see what it does for you for a few weeks. If you gain or are stagnant cut 250 calories from your diet and try it again.

Everyone will be different.

http://health.discovery.com/tools/ca...sal/basal.html

You can use the above link as a starting point but keep in mind these types of calculators are "general" and can vary alot. The amount of calories it tells you is the amount of calories you will expend just lying in bed all day.

So basically, if you take in those number of calories per day and don't stay in bed you will lose weight by default.

But remember it can be off by as many as 300-400 calories so you need to get that number, start with it, and see how you do over a period of 2-3 weeks.

3500 calories = 1 pound so you have to create a deficit of around 500 calories per day to lose a pound a week.

If you walk/run/elliptical 30 minutes each day you will create about a 500 calorie burn per day. Add in just standing around, walking, typing on a keyboard, etc. and you probably can add another 500 calories a day.

So by taking in the number of calories the above link says to and exercising 30 minutes a day you should be able to lose 2 pounds a week without much effort.

post #13 of 48 (permalink) Old 05-31-2007, 02:01 PM
No Cerveza... No Trabajo

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedLilPony
eat about 1/2 of the proportions of what I was eating.
Its amazing the size of portions in America.

When I go to Outback with the family I share the 8oz Outback Sirloin with my daughter and we split the veggies.

4oz of lean meat (standard portion) is about the size of a deck of playing cards.

post #14 of 48 (permalink) Old 05-31-2007, 02:08 PM
DFWMUSTANGS.NET

I only count calories when I'm trying to gain weight. My "natural" appetite causes me to shed lbs. You can all hate me now
post #15 of 48 (permalink) Old 05-31-2007, 04:14 PM
Ultimate X-phoria

Worked for me. In June of 2005, I was 215 lbs. That August I finally had enough. About 15 lbs of my weight loss is attributed to cardio as thats how I started out, but i'd say the rest of the 42 lbs I lost was all calorie counting. By August of 06 I was down to 173. I cut my calories down to the 1600-1800 area. As long as I stayed under 1800, I was dropping pounds. I ditched fast food and sodas to help me reach this goal. I've spent the last 9 months fluxuating as i've been eating poorly again, but I never got over 175. Right now i'm at 168 lbs and losing more due to an increase inactivity. No working out but waiting tables is causing me to lose more weight. I'm also eating smaller portions, something i've always struggled with.
post #16 of 48 (permalink) Old 05-31-2007, 05:30 PM
Lifer

Quote:
Its amazing the size of portions in America.

When I go to Outback with the family I share the 8oz Outback Sirloin with my daughter and we split the veggies.

4oz of lean meat (standard portion) is about the size of a deck of playing cards.

Trust me, I know. I'm eating a can of fat free chili with two pieces of wheat bread, a whopping 500 calories, it just occurred to me how much I'd rather be gnawing on a 16oz ribeye.

post #17 of 48 (permalink) Old 05-31-2007, 09:44 PM
Banned

Quote:

Everything on labels is based on a 2,000 calorie diet because the FDA assumes the average american takes in about 2,000 calories give or take a few hundred. Now lets say you want to maintain your current weight, yeah, 2,000 calories a day with minor physical activity will probably allow you to do just that. Soooo, take in less than 2,000 calories and increase your physical activity.
post #18 of 48 (permalink) Old 05-31-2007, 10:28 PM
No Cerveza... No Trabajo

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThreeFingerPete
Trust me, I know. I'm eating a can of fat free chili with two pieces of wheat bread, a whopping 500 calories, it just occurred to me how much I'd rather be gnawing on a 16oz ribeye.
lol.

Only about 1400 calories in that 16oz ribeye.

I had a big ol' helping of veggies stir-fried in olive oil. Squash, zuchini, mushrooms, cabbage, broccoli, cherry tomatoes... yum. Only about 300 calories but damn my belly feels about 3 sizes larger.

Gonna make for some good deposits in the morning after the red bull eye opener.

post #19 of 48 (permalink) Old 06-01-2007, 12:06 AM
Lifer

Quote:
lol.

Only about 1400 calories in that 16oz ribeye.

I had a big ol' helping of veggies stir-fried in olive oil. Squash, zuchini, mushrooms, cabbage, broccoli, cherry tomatoes... yum. Only about 300 calories but damn my belly feels about 3 sizes larger.

Gonna make for some good deposits in the morning after the red bull eye opener.
Can I just come eat at your house? I'll chip in for groceries.

post #20 of 48 (permalink) Old 06-20-2007, 03:04 PM
My Boy!

I count my calories, fat, carbs and protein. I have logged my food intake for months now and it gets easier after several weeks. the begining sucks, but once you get all your regular food and portions recorded you can just copy them next tiem you eat them, then adding a new food isn't such a hassle.

I do mine on an Excel spreadsheeet. I just started logging everything I ate at first without trying to change anything so I could figure out what I was really taking in every day and week and I weighed in once a week. That way I found out what my maintenance level of Calories a day was and then I started designing full days worth of eating in advance to add calories when I was bulking and also designing them to have whatever ratios of macronutrients I decided would be best at the time.

It worked great. Once you have the information as far as the amount of calories that you require for maintenance, you can manipulate your food to do what you want. I wanted to gain so I upped it gradually to 1000 cal/day more and I was gaining right at 2 lbs a week - with not much change to the waist measurement. After I decided to cut, I have moved back down to maintenance and down to about 500 cal/day less than maintenance and it worked also - 1 lb a week coming off. I would go further, but I got used to eating all that food whenI was bulking and I miss it if I cut another 500 cal/day out right now. lol

The cool thing about it is that you can manipulate your macronutrients and your total calories a day and you can plan it out in advance and if you have a plan liek that , then you are more likely to stick to it - especially when you see that sticking to it really does work exactly the way it should.

I deceided that I could stop logging not long ago becasue I was very familiar with what it took to get the numbers for the day where I was at the time, but I actually missed doing it. I felt like I was out of control if I didn't know what was going into my body.

I a so used to doing it now that I can buzz through it fast and with no effort at all first thing in the morning. just something else to get used to.

It sounds like it is a little anal, but I guess it just depends on how important it is to you to have control over your diet.

Later,
todd
post #21 of 48 (permalink) Old 06-20-2007, 03:10 PM
Hood Approved.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThreeFingerPete
fat free chili, ewww, that just sounds nasty...

I thought 2000 calories was the standard number of calories a day for an adult male?
post #22 of 48 (permalink) Old 06-20-2007, 03:38 PM
Hired Hand

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarrieNC17

I thought 2000 calories was the standard number of calories a day for an adult male?

It's made with turkey, and is pretty good actually. I can get away with 1700-1900 calories a day when dieting, but when maintianing I am maintaining or bulking I'll eat upeards of 3500 calories a day.

Raven 2006 Yamaha R6S

"If it has horsepower or tits you're gonna have trouble with it eventually..."
post #23 of 48 (permalink) Old 06-20-2007, 03:39 PM
Owned!!

Quote:
Right now i'm eating waay to much food and i'm not burning off any calories. Especially working from home sitting my ass in front of the computer.

I'm currently 5'11 and 220 lbs. I'm the most overweight i've been ever so it's time for me to do something.

How many calories do I need to digest daily? 2000, 2500?
Right now I eat fast food almost every other day and eat fatty snacks like chips, etc.
put the fork down lol j/p. back in January i was weighing about 265 and i said its time for a change. so i started going to the gym 3 days a week changed by eating habits and was taking stacker 2. now i weigh 235 its still a bit over weight but im working on it

www.myspace.com/dmoney86
post #24 of 48 (permalink) Old 06-20-2007, 03:55 PM
Timmay

It's all what you eat!

I'm down from 310 to 290 in 16 days. Just make sure you eat enough and don't starve yourself. I eat 6 times a day.
post #25 of 48 (permalink) Old 06-20-2007, 04:26 PM
My Boy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarrieNC17

it depends on your size and how much you burn off a day. I loose weight at about 2400 cal/ day. I guess I have a fast metabolism.
post #26 of 48 (permalink) Old 06-20-2007, 09:15 PM
Scared s**tless

FYI: a 10:1 ratio of calories to weight is a great starting point for losing. Adjust to fit, obviously... to adjust it even more, realize that calories come specifically in 3 ways:

1 gram protein = 4 calories
1 gram carb = 4 calories
1 gram fat = 9 calories

I am shooting for a 40% protein-40% carb-20% EFA fat diet. anal, i know.

My background is similar: desk job, no activity, I was hitting fast food crap 5-6 times a week, dropping a couple Dr. Peppers a day, eating 2 meals daily, DRINKING A LOT, etc. and I found myself at 159 pounds from 142 pounds in a year and a half. I am 5'6" and I have a decent muscle build, but I KNOW I can kill 20 pounds of fat and still have some to spare.

Like Todd, I am a calorie counting fool. I stuck myself at 1500 (a touch shy of 10 calories per pound) and started doing a lot of bike riding and running. I have gone from 159 to 152 in just under 3 weeks (including a stupid night where I drank about 1,500 calories in delicious, scrumptious, lovely, tasty, wholesome beer . which I miss dearly )

My goals are lofty, but I am forcing myself to stick to it. I keep my little calorie book with me anywhere I might eat on the fly. Start counting and learn to alter your diet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarrisonBT
I sound shit out man, lol. Firefox didnt have a suggestion. I figure A) I'm waay too far off, or B) It's spanish, and Firefox is an English Fox.

I facepalm myself.
post #27 of 48 (permalink) Old 06-20-2007, 09:38 PM
My Boy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DON SVO
FYI: a 10:1 ratio of calories to weight is a great starting point for losing. Adjust to fit, obviously... to adjust it even more, realize that calories come specifically in 3 ways:

1 gram protein = 4 calories
1 gram carb = 4 calories
1 gram fat = 9 calories

I am shooting for a 40% protein-40% carb-20% EFA fat diet. anal, i know.

My background is similar: desk job, no activity, I was hitting fast food crap 5-6 times a week, dropping a couple Dr. Peppers a day, eating 2 meals daily, DRINKING A LOT, etc. and I found myself at 159 pounds from 142 pounds in a year and a half. I am 5'6" and I have a decent muscle build, but I KNOW I can kill 20 pounds of fat and still have some to spare.

Like Todd, I am a calorie counting fool. I stuck myself at 1500 (a touch shy of 10 calories per pound) and started doing a lot of bike riding and running. I have gone from 159 to 152 in just under 3 weeks (including a stupid night where I drank about 1,500 calories in delicious, scrumptious, lovely, tasty, wholesome beer . which I miss dearly )

My goals are lofty, but I am forcing myself to stick to it. I keep my little calorie book with me anywhere I might eat on the fly. Start counting and learn to alter your diet.
The opne mess up night isn't a bad thing. The single night boost in calories should actually help, although it would take a few days for things to even out. Just try not to do it too often.... and 1500 cal isn't too bad. Do you realize how many calories are in 3 Long Island Teas? lol

Hey, I ended up with 2046 cal for the day today and it was a 5.32%/48.25%/46.43% Fat/Carbs/Protein ratio! 13 grams of fat for the entire day! That rocks. lol Its actually a little lower than I want though.
post #28 of 48 (permalink) Old 06-20-2007, 11:15 PM
Scared s**tless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd
The opne mess up night isn't a bad thing. The single night boost in calories should actually help, although it would take a few days for things to even out. Just try not to do it too often.... and 1500 cal isn't too bad. Do you realize how many calories are in 3 Long Island Teas? lol

Hey, I ended up with 2046 cal for the day today and it was a 5.32%/48.25%/46.43% Fat/Carbs/Protein ratio! 13 grams of fat for the entire day! That rocks. lol Its actually a little lower than I want though.
Once maybe, but yeah. Since then I have been very stringent... I am considering going 45/40/15, your body can't produce EFAs so I can't cut them out. I had 7oz. of salmon tonight, and they put me over on fats. grrr. I am still trying some new things, and just got back from the store: I had a food issue with more carbs than protein. That has been remedied.

today: 1687t/484p/724c/387f

tomorrow projected: 1550t/650p/550c/300f

Quote:
I sound shit out man, lol. Firefox didnt have a suggestion. I figure A) I'm waay too far off, or B) It's spanish, and Firefox is an English Fox.

I facepalm myself.
post #29 of 48 (permalink) Old 06-20-2007, 11:16 PM
Moved to dfw mustangs.net

haha brien's fat
post #30 of 48 (permalink) Old 06-21-2007, 07:33 AM
My Boy!

Quote:
Once maybe, but yeah. Since then I have been very stringent... I am considering going 45/40/15, your body can't produce EFAs so I can't cut them out. I had 7oz. of salmon tonight, and they put me over on fats. grrr. I am still trying some new things, and just got back from the store: I had a food issue with more carbs than protein. That has been remedied.

today: 1687t/484p/724c/387f

tomorrow projected: 1550t/650p/550c/300f

Yeah, I have been trying to cutout the bad fats and it looks like I have achieved that goal, but I need to add in the EFA's now. I redesigned my day for today to include flax seed and olive oil, along with some Omega 3-6-9 pills and that gets me up to within 1 or 2 grams of fat of my 20% number. We'll see how the day plays out though because my boss wants me to come along to a lunch meeting with a customer and it is at a greasy italian pizza place. Maybe I'll just have a water. lol

It's funny how you can do all this work to lay out your nutrition so precisely and all that, then something like this comes along and forces you to compromise it all! But I'm not bitter.
post #31 of 48 (permalink) Old 06-21-2007, 10:59 PM
Scared s**tless

No Compromise: I have several different meal replacement bars at work for just such an occasion, and have learned to cut them in thirds depending on what is needed... yeah, I am anal.

Oh yeah, today I did well:

on a 1500 calorie diet: 1548 cal/174g Protein/139g carb/34g fat (only 9 of which was saturated!)

Quote:

I facepalm myself.

Last edited by DON SVO; 06-21-2007 at 11:24 PM.
post #32 of 48 (permalink) Old 06-22-2007, 07:32 AM
My Boy!

Quote:
No Compromise: I have several different meal replacement bars at work for just such an occasion, and have learned to cut them in thirds depending on what is needed... yeah, I am anal.

Oh yeah, today I did well:

on a 1500 calorie diet: 1548 cal/174g Protein/139g carb/34g fat (only 9 of which was saturated!)

You about nailed it. I dont know if I could make it on 1500 cal/day. I've noticed that the less my daily calorie amount is, the harder it is to get the macronutrient numbers where I want them consistently. I almost have to come up with an eating plan and do the same exact thing every day when I am going low cal. when eating 3700 cal/day it is easy to adjust and have variety.

On a 2000 cal day yesterday I did 2002 cal - 48.2 fat, 247.52 Protien, & 174.2 carb. NONE of the fat was saturated! (protein from whey powder, milk, and I had Tilapia fish for lunch and dinner!)

I'm going to try to nail this one again today then I weigh in tomorrow and see how things are progressing, then I am going to drop the calories again. I've been stepping down from 3700 cals at about a week at a time so I dont freak my body out with a 1500 cal drop all at one time. I went gradually down - 3700, 3300, 3000, 2700, 2400, 2000.
post #33 of 48 (permalink) Old 06-22-2007, 04:20 PM
JPS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shorty
I only count calories when I'm trying to gain weight. My "natural" appetite causes me to shed lbs. You can all hate me now
Ok - I hate you now. I look at a piece of chocolate and I've gained 5 pounds...on my thighs and caboose!!!

I counted calories just to see how much I was eating and how much I was supposed to eat. I found that I only require 1200 per day. Any less and I get light headed.

JPS
post #34 of 48 (permalink) Old 06-22-2007, 06:52 PM
Scared s**tless

Quote:
I'm going to try to nail this one again today then I weigh in tomorrow and see how things are progressing, then I am going to drop the calories again. I've been stepping down from 3700 cals at about a week at a time so I dont freak my body out with a 1500 cal drop all at one time. I went gradually down - 3700, 3300, 3000, 2700, 2400, 2000.
Well, I went from my old to my new diet within one day.

Here's the way it used to look: whatever the hell is in 2 gorditas, a grilled stuft burrito, spicy chicken burrito, wendy's quarter pounder with cheese and fries and a frosty, 6-12 beers and 3 dr. peppers to what I am doing now. Yeah, you can say my body was a bit shocked.

Today I might hit 1600 calories, but i will be almost deadnuts on 1:1 of carbs and protein. Wheeeee!

Quote:

I facepalm myself.
post #35 of 48 (permalink) Old 06-24-2007, 08:37 AM
My Boy!

Quote:
Well, I went from my old to my new diet within one day.

Here's the way it used to look: whatever the hell is in 2 gorditas, a grilled stuft burrito, spicy chicken burrito, wendy's quarter pounder with cheese and fries and a frosty, 6-12 beers and 3 dr. peppers to what I am doing now. Yeah, you can say my body was a bit shocked.

Today I might hit 1600 calories, but i will be almost deadnuts on 1:1 of carbs and protein. Wheeeee!
Well, in that case I'd say it would be a good idea to stop immmediately before more damage was done! That has to be like 500 grams of saturated and trans fat!

1600 calories? I did 1723 yesterday and I was definitely hungry through the middle of the afternoon (because I was moving some stuff for some friends and didn't get my meals in at the times I has scheduled) but after I got back home I had to almost eat more than I wanted to get to that number - but I stayed on track for the plan - 20% fat, 44% protein and 36% carbs. I like to cycle carbs up and down and leave myself a little extra protein.
post #36 of 48 (permalink) Old 06-24-2007, 09:04 AM
My Boy!

btw:

Regular Style Gordita
310 cal
16 grams fat
6 grams sat fat
0.5 grams trans fat
29 carbs
14 grams protein

----------

Stuft burrito
680 cal
30 Fat
10 Sat fat
1 Trans Fat
76 Carbs
27 Protein
post #37 of 48 (permalink) Old 06-24-2007, 09:14 AM
Lifer

I'm not anywhere as meticulous as most of you. Last week I decided that I needed to drop some weight (male, 5'11", a week ago was 185lbs.). I know that I can drop down to the 160's or low 170's easy so I began to watch what I eat.

I haven't been counting calories, but I've made a change in eating habits so that I'm only eating about 2/3 the amount (after reading this post I'm going to start counting today).

Work for me this summer is about 1.8 miles each way so I've just been walking to and from work M-F and we have a YMCA literally 200 feet away from my apartment. The other thing that I'm happy about is that I'm surrounded by mountains; I went on two hikes yesterday, one ~4 miles and ~7.5 miles, good stuff.

At work since I work in a huge laboratory I'm standing/walking around for ~3-4 hours a day, so that's good as well. Guess I'll go try some hydroxycut and see how it works out for me, I'm a morning person so it might not be a good idea.
post #38 of 48 (permalink) Old 06-24-2007, 10:14 AM
Time Served

weight loss

I went from 265 to 173 on a 1500 calorie a day diet. I am also 51 years old so that has an effect also( lower metabolism). I have a physical job but also rode a stationary bike 30 minutes a day three times a week. I followed a low fat and low carb regimen. Ate about 300 calories five times a day. I have always used an old school formula of 14-15 x body weight = caloric intake to maintain your present weight. This is for an active person. A sedentary person should use 12- 13 factor. At 3500 calories per pound you can adjust your intake to accomplish your weight loss goals . This does not take into account varying metabolism rates and is for men, womens rates are lower.
post #39 of 48 (permalink) Old 06-24-2007, 10:16 AM
My Boy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by stangcrazy
I'm not anywhere as meticulous as most of you. Last week I decided that I needed to drop some weight (male, 5'11", a week ago was 185lbs.). I know that I can drop down to the 160's or low 170's easy so I began to watch what I eat.

I haven't been counting calories, but I've made a change in eating habits so that I'm only eating about 2/3 the amount (after reading this post I'm going to start counting today).

Work for me this summer is about 1.8 miles each way so I've just been walking to and from work M-F and we have a YMCA literally 200 feet away from my apartment. The other thing that I'm happy about is that I'm surrounded by mountains; I went on two hikes yesterday, one ~4 miles and ~7.5 miles, good stuff.

At work since I work in a huge laboratory I'm standing/walking around for ~3-4 hours a day, so that's good as well. Guess I'll go try some hydroxycut and see how it works out for me, I'm a morning person so it might not be a good idea.
So, how did the first week go? I check my weight and take measurements to track how things are going every Saturday morning.

That is cool that you work close enough to walk to and from every day and have a YMCA next door like that. You are hooked up!

Plus the mountains deal close by is cool too. I'd love to be able to do a little mountain hiking pretty often. You should have no problem upping the calories you are burning with surroundings like that.

I'd start paying real close attention to what you are eating now and watch the fat fall off!

As for counting, I think it would do you good to know where you are at, then you can start to manipulate your numbers from there. If nothing else, you will become more aware of the fat and protein and carbs in the things you eat and you can make changes based on that. Before I started counting I was guessing at the macronutrients in the foods I ate, and boy was I way off. Plus all the trans fat and sat in so many foods was a big eye opener for me. Just being aware of those things and thinking about them will help in deciding what and how much you eat.

good luck.
post #40 of 48 (permalink) Old 06-24-2007, 10:18 AM
My Boy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullfrog
I went from 265 to 173 on a 1500 calorie a day diet. I am also 51 years old so that has an effect also( lower metabolism). I have a physical job but also rode a stationary bike 30 minutes a day three times a week. I followed a low fat and low carb regimen. Ate about 300 calories five times a day. I have always used an old school formula of 14-15 x body weight = caloric intake to maintain your present weight. This is for an active person. A sedentary person should use 12- 13 factor. At 3500 calories per pound you can adjust your intake to accomplish your weight loss goals . This does not take into account varying metabolism rates and is for men, womens rates are lower.
I used that type of equation to get my start also, then I have refined everything a hundred times since then once I found my actual maintenance level and gaining and loss numbers by tracking calories, fat , protein and carbs.

Do you also lift weights?

Do you know if you lost any muscle with that weight loss at that low of a caloric intake daily?

Also, how tall are you?
post #41 of 48 (permalink) Old 06-24-2007, 11:35 AM
Scared s**tless

I weighed in at 150, I have dropped 9 pounds in 3 weeks and a day.

yesterday was good, I had some Ham and got some extra sodium and fat but it was delicious:

Cal - 1415/Protein - 140g/Carb - 133g/Fat - 41g (35 EFAs)

Quote:

I facepalm myself.
post #42 of 48 (permalink) Old 06-24-2007, 11:57 AM
Lifer

Actually Todd I haven't checked how this week went and it'll be off a bit since I'm not using the same scale as I did last week. The YMCA is definitely nice to have right next door, and the mountains are great except I have to watch out not to get on government property (I'm out at Los Alamos), there isn't any fencing around the government areas so hikers are warned to know where they are going, if heading off of a designated trail.

As for the calories, I have a little journal for those now. I make my own food 90+% of the time so it'll be really easy to count everything. I'm also going to mark down my workouts & walking distances. I think i'm going to try to stay at ~2500 calories and see how that goes for this next week, then maybe drop to 2000.

I just bought Twinlab Ripped Fuel extreme, so i'm changing around quite a few variables in my life. NOTE: burping ~3 minutes after taking ripped fuel hurts if you don't drink water...time to drink some water.

Quote:
So, how did the first week go? I check my weight and take measurements to track how things are going every Saturday morning.

That is cool that you work close enough to walk to and from every day and have a YMCA next door like that. You are hooked up!

Plus the mountains deal close by is cool too. I'd love to be able to do a little mountain hiking pretty often. You should have no problem upping the calories you are burning with surroundings like that.

I'd start paying real close attention to what you are eating now and watch the fat fall off!

As for counting, I think it would do you good to know where you are at, then you can start to manipulate your numbers from there. If nothing else, you will become more aware of the fat and protein and carbs in the things you eat and you can make changes based on that. Before I started counting I was guessing at the macronutrients in the foods I ate, and boy was I way off. Plus all the trans fat and sat in so many foods was a big eye opener for me. Just being aware of those things and thinking about them will help in deciding what and how much you eat.

good luck.
post #43 of 48 (permalink) Old 06-24-2007, 08:21 PM
My Boy!

Quote:
I weighed in at 150, I have dropped 9 pounds in 3 weeks and a day.

yesterday was good, I had some Ham and got some extra sodium and fat but it was delicious:

Cal - 1415/Protein - 140g/Carb - 133g/Fat - 41g (35 EFAs)
Man that is sooo low!!! I can't imagine only having that much in a day.
post #44 of 48 (permalink) Old 06-24-2007, 08:25 PM
My Boy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by stangcrazy
NOTE: burping ~3 minutes after taking ripped fuel hurts if you don't drink water...time to drink some water.
lol

I'm in the same boat at the moment with the calories, but I am keeping it down under 1800 cal right now. I may up it some during the week because my job is going to be more physical this week than it has been so I may run out of energy during the day and I dont want to do that.
post #45 of 48 (permalink) Old 06-24-2007, 08:48 PM
Scared s**tless

Quote:
Man that is sooo low!!! I can't imagine only having that much in a day.
LMAO! It is low... even for me, but man unless you remember meeting me years ago, I am 5'6" and 148 pounds (HELL YEAH! I AM PROUD OF DROPPING 11 POUNDS IN 3 WEEKS!)

Quote:

I facepalm myself.
post #46 of 48 (permalink) Old 06-24-2007, 10:28 PM
My Boy!

Quote:
LMAO! It is low... even for me, but man unless you remember meeting me years ago, I am 5'6" and 148 pounds (HELL YEAH! I AM PROUD OF DROPPING 11 POUNDS IN 3 WEEKS!)

Definite congrats for dropping that much in 3 weeks man!

For me at 6'0" and 181 just finishing a 1857 calorie day where I nailed all my ratios again (yay me!), I just dont think I would make it at all going that low. Yesterday was rough at 1723. 300 less... dude that's one of my meals! I'd be cranky. lol
post #47 of 48 (permalink) Old 06-25-2007, 03:05 AM
Time Served

[Do you also lift weights?

Do you know if you lost any muscle with that weight loss at that low of a caloric intake daily?

Also, how tall are you?[/QUOTE]

I lifted seriously when I was about 25-30 and regularly until I was 40. Quit when I started my own business. I am sure I lost some muscle, but I turn wrenches as a industrial mechanic so I still got a fair amount of exercise/lifting. My height is 5'8"
post #48 of 48 (permalink) Old 06-25-2007, 03:16 AM
Moved to dfw mustangs.net

1:16 am PST. Skidmark's still fat.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement