Post-workout recovery - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-20-2007, 09:09 AM Thread Starter
No Cerveza... No Trabajo

Post-workout recovery

I know most of y'all are muscle heads and not endurance athletes but this study details why you need to eat your carbs after working out. While the information is geared towards training that lasts more than 90 minutes the information is appropriate for workouts lasting less than 90 minutes.

It isn't what you do in the gym that matters it is what you do before and after that matters. Doesn't matter how bad you tear up your body working out if you don't give your body adequate nutrition to rebuild itself.

Kinda disappointed they didn't mention my 16oz of skim milk and 6 tablespoons of table sugar recovery solution. That's my recovery drink of choice. Gives me the same nutrition as the "$2.00 per serving" recovery solutions at about .50 per serving.

Post-Event Nutrition

Inappropriate food intake after a workout can have a serious effect on recovery. Post competition meals are very important regarding glycogen restoration. Muscle glycogen can be depleted within 15-30 minutes working at a high VO2 max, in intervals of 1-5 minutes alternating with rest periods. Adequate recovery means that your muscles are rested, re-fueled, and ready to go again. This is extremely important for people who work out every day.

Athletes may hasten recovery by consuming at least 50 grams of high or moderate glycemic carbohydrates within the first 2 hours when resynthesis of glycogen is highest. Resynthesis of glycogen can take up to 24 hours. The total amount of carbohydrates ingested during this time is important for recovery. Depending on body size and energy expended, approximately 500-600 grams is needed for refueling. Inadequate recovery can lead to chronic fatigue, injury and a gradual decline in performance.

If you exercise less than 90 minutes (constant working, little rest), refueling is your main concern focusing on a well-balanced diet, high in carbohydrates. However, if your workouts are greater than 90 minutes and work you to exhaustion, the timing of meals as well as snacks during the event is also important. If you worked less in a game than you do in practice, eat your normal daily food intake or slightly less.

• In the first 15-30 minutes after exercise, ingest .35grams of carbohydrate/body wt. and .15 grams of protein / body weight. This is based on a 75% carbohydrate (56-75 grams) & 25% protein (19-25 grams) diet totaling approximately 300-400 calories.

Ex: Player XX weighs 135 lbs. 135 x .35 = 47.25 grams of carbohydrate/body weight and 135 x .15 = 20.25 grams of protein needed for refueling after a difficult workout.

• Within the next 2-4 hours post exercise: Ingest another 300-400 calories using the same formula as above.

• Every 4 hours thereafter: Ingest approximately .5 grams of carbohydrate/body weight.

Ex: 1 gram of carbohydrate = 4 calories. 1 gram of protein also = 4 calories
75 grams would therefore = 300 calories (4 calories x 75gm = 300 calories)

Approximately 56 grams of carbohydrate and 19 grams of protein would be found in the following refueling meals:

1. a bagel and 3 oz of tuna fish
2. 2 cups of cornflakes with raisins and 2 cups of skim milk
3. a banana and 2 cups of plain yogurt
4. a high carbohydrate (10-30% carbohydrate concentration) beverage or sports drink may also be used immediately since a person may be thirsty and find food unappetizing at first. Remember these beverages are incomplete foods and are no substitute for a balanced diet. Sports drinks may also contain electrolytes which can help the body's electrolyte balance return to normal.

• Rehydrate: Weigh yourself before and after a workout. For every pound of body weight lost drink 2 cups (16 oz or 1 pint) of water. If you can’t weigh yourself, drink until your urine is clear. See hydration. Drink cool water every 15-20 minutes during exercise. If you’re thirsty, you’re already dehydrated so drink even if you’re not thirsty. Avoid caffeine and alcohol the day before and day of competition. Most electrolyte losses can easily be replaced by nutrients in a balanced diet so supplements are not needed unless you are an ultra endurance athlete involved in competitions lasting over 8 hours. Therefore, salt tablets and other electrolyte replacements are not recommended for the non-ultra endurance athlete.

Good food for Potassium and Sodium replacement:

1. Orange juice and salted pretzels
2. Baked potato with ketchup or salt on it
3. Nectarine and some Chex mix
4. Dried apricots and salted nuts mixture
5. Pear and salted tortilla chips

References

Bonci, L. Nutrition Conditioning Goals for Athletes. University of Pittsburgh Medical Center Health System. 2005.

Clark, N. Sports Nutrition Guidebook. Human Kinetics. 1989.

McArdle WD, Katch FI, Katch VL. Sports and Exercise Nutrition (2nd ed.). Philadelphia: Lippincott Williams & Wilkins. 2005.

My 401K is now a 400K (was 301K)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-21-2007, 11:38 AM
Large Member

Good stuff, I usually have a Shake with 2 scoops of Protein, dextrose, a little salt and maltodextrin. Mix with water. I drink half right away then fill it back up and drink half again, then fill it up and drink the rest.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-23-2007, 06:56 PM
Punk Ass Newbie

good post and info man...

Formerly known as whyte92stang

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-23-2007, 08:32 PM
Banned

I always make a 16 once protein shake with skim milk and 2-20g scoops of whey protein when I get back home after working out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement