Sets or exhaustion? - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-14-2007, 05:53 PM Thread Starter
Banned

Sets or exhaustion?

I was thinking of switching up my workout from doing a set number of reps/sets, to going to an exhaustion routine. Like everyday, make my excercises a circuit and do two, maybe three reps to exhaustion. This was how I was told to train in my conditioning class a few years ago, but never really did it.

Is anyone else doing this, or have done it in the past? Good results? Safe?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-14-2007, 05:59 PM
Lifer

Make sure you've got a spotter.
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-14-2007, 06:26 PM
Hired Hand

You should be doing a set number of reps/sets... to exhaustion... Pick a weight in which your failing point coincides with the number of reps you intend to do. If the weight is a little to light or you've gotten stronger, do an extra rep or two, and up the weight for your next set.

Raven 2006 Yamaha R6S

"If it has horsepower or tits you're gonna have trouble with it eventually..."

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-14-2007, 08:22 PM
No Cerveza... No Trabajo

Quote:
Originally Posted by poopnut2
I was thinking of switching up my workout from doing a set number of reps/sets, to going to an exhaustion routine. Like everyday, make my excercises a circuit and do two, maybe three reps to exhaustion. This was how I was told to train in my conditioning class a few years ago, but never really did it.

Is anyone else doing this, or have done it in the past? Good results? Safe?
Are you talking about doing a set on the bench, then moving over to leg extension, then moving over to military press, etc., etc with minimal rest in between?

And doing this three times in a row?

If so, not sure you need to do it every day. What you are doing is combining weight training with cardiovascular training. Depending on your goals it might work for you.

I don't personally like it, I like to concentrate on my endurance training (swim, bike, run) and do traditional strength training two times a week (sets, reps)

My 401K is now a 400K (was 301K)
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-14-2007, 09:09 PM Thread Starter
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 01WhiteCobra
Are you talking about doing a set on the bench, then moving over to leg extension, then moving over to military press, etc., etc with minimal rest in between?

And doing this three times in a row?

If so, not sure you need to do it every day. What you are doing is combining weight training with cardiovascular training. Depending on your goals it might work for you.

I don't personally like it, I like to concentrate on my endurance training (swim, bike, run) and do traditional strength training two times a week (sets, reps)
Yeah, I do different excercises each day I lift though so I won't be doing bench for example every day. I would like to go through each excercise once, take a few minutes breather, do the next run-through, short rest, then do the next one.

Day 1:
Military
Pull-ups
Dumbbell side lift
Dumbell front lift
Benchpress
Hammer curls

Day 2:
Squat
One legged squat w/ each leg
Crunch with resistance (hold dumbbell behind head)
Behind back barbell wrist curl
Toe raise

Day 3:
Cardio only

Day 4:
Incline Press
Dumbbell Row
Seated Toe Raise
Curl Bar

Day 5: (Not sure if I'll do exhust on these)
Hangclean
Deadlift
Barbell Shoulder Shrug
Dumbbell Reverse Wrist Curl

Saturday:
Cardio Only
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-14-2007, 11:16 PM
Hired Hand

You are essentially doing one lift per bodypart each workout, no where near enough to induce muscular hypertrophy. Do at least three exercise per intended bodypart (the primary musle involved in a given compound movement), and only once per week. The key being to get your intensity up enough to warrant hitting it once per week. My schedule is as follows:

day 1 - legs
squats
leg extensions
leg curls
dumbell lunges
calf raises

day 2 - shoulders/triceps
military press
shoulder flyes
reverse/close grip bench
skull crushers
reverse grip tricep extensions (single arm)
standard grip tricp extensions (both arms together)

day 3 - off

day 4 - lats/back
close grip pull downs
wide grip pulldowns
hammer rows
reverse flyes

day 5 - off

day 6 - chest/biceps
flat bench
incline dumbell press
decline flyes
supinating curls
hammer curls
reverse grip ez curls

day 7 - off

Abs are to be done every other day, and off days can vary. I try not to lift more than two days in a row, to ensure plenty of rest. Working out other bodyparts while giving something time off is not the same kind of rest as letting your entire body recuperate.

Raven 2006 Yamaha R6S

post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-14-2007, 11:23 PM
Lifer

Quote:
Yeah, I do different excercises each day I lift though so I won't be doing bench for example every day. I would like to go through each excercise once, take a few minutes breather, do the next run-through, short rest, then do the next one.

Day 1:
Military
Pull-ups
Dumbbell side lift
Dumbell front lift
Benchpress
Hammer curls

Day 2:
Squat
One legged squat w/ each leg
Crunch with resistance (hold dumbbell behind head)
Behind back barbell wrist curl
Toe raise

Day 3:
Cardio only

Day 4:
Incline Press
Dumbbell Row
Seated Toe Raise
Curl Bar

Day 5: (Not sure if I'll do exhust on these)
Hangclean
Deadlift
Barbell Shoulder Shrug
Dumbbell Reverse Wrist Curl

Saturday:
Cardio Only
If it works for you great but that is not a good work out at all. Training too many body parts in one day.

I would rather live my life as if there is a God, and die to find out there isn't, than live my life as if there isn't, and die to find out there is.
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-14-2007, 11:30 PM Thread Starter
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by dewayne6243
If it works for you great but that is not a good work out at all. Training too many body parts in one day.
I've seen gains in strength and I've put on weight, but not nearly as much definition as I would like. In the past 6 weeks, I've gained about 12lbs, and my bench max has increased 20lbs. I'll try something similiar to Raven's and see if I get results more to my liking.
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-14-2007, 11:35 PM
Lifer

Quote:
I've seen gains in strength and I've put on weight, but not nearly as much definition as I would like. In the past 6 weeks, I've gained about 12lbs, and my bench max has increased 20lbs. I'll try something similiar to Raven's and see if I get results more to my liking.

I was all about putting on weight. I was at 210 6 weeks ago. 5'8 12% fat. Started my diet and now down to 195 and finally below 10%. I look way bigger now and getting ripped.

I would rather live my life as if there is a God, and die to find out there isn't, than live my life as if there isn't, and die to find out there is.
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-14-2007, 11:40 PM Thread Starter
Banned

Quote:
I was all about putting on weight. I was at 210 6 weeks ago. 5'8 12% fat. Started my diet and now down to 195 and finally below 10%. I look way bigger now and getting ripped.
I went from 180 to 192. I'm 6' 1" though. The thing is, I don't really want to get any bigger.
post #11 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-14-2007, 11:43 PM
Lifer

Quote:
I went from 180 to 192. I'm 6' 1" though. The thing is, I don't really want to get any bigger.

I could put you on a diet and get you ripped. Here is a pic of me 6 weeks ago and a pic on me now. All diet.

post #12 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-14-2007, 11:49 PM Thread Starter
Banned

Which one's which?

Just kidding. I'm not worrying about a diet right now. I know it's important, I just have zero extra cash to eat real healthy while I'm in school.
post #13 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-14-2007, 11:52 PM
Lifer

Quote:
Which one's which?

Just kidding. I'm not worrying about a diet right now. I know it's important, I just have zero extra cash to eat real healthy while I'm in school.

I spend $25 a week on food plus protein drinks. I am losing some strengh but do women like a strong fat ass of a lean cut guy?

post #14 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-14-2007, 11:57 PM Thread Starter
Banned

Doesn't matter. Chicks dig assholes. $25 a week sounds good. Post up or PM me the diet if you don't mind. I just need the discipline to stick to it.
post #15 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-15-2007, 12:07 AM
Lifer

Quote:
Doesn't matter. Chicks dig assholes. $25 a week sounds good. Post up or PM me the diet if you don't mind. I just need the discipline to stick to it.
I will put you one together and PM you.

post #16 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-15-2007, 12:09 AM Thread Starter
Banned

Quote:
I will put you one together and PM you.
Thanks a lot!
post #17 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-15-2007, 12:24 AM
Hired Hand

Quote:
Weight will come on quick because your body's pretty green. You'll plateau pretty quick with the program you first posted. Hit it hard and heavy, give your muscles a reason to grow. That definition that you're looking for is all in your diet and body composition. Even them beanpole skinny guys have abs. Just after xmas I was 215lbs at about 15-16%, and now at 209 and 9-10% it's a totally different body. I dont' have any before shots, so I'll spare you the pics. If you're really not all that concerned with size, clean up your diet, and keep after that cardio, you'll start seeing definition in no time.

Hey dewayne, nice progress. Now go do a situp or two.

Raven 2006 Yamaha R6S

post #18 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-15-2007, 12:28 AM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Raven
Weight will come on quick because your body's pretty green. You'll plateau pretty quick with the program you first posted. Hit it hard and heavy, give your muscles a reason to grow. That definition that you're looking for is all in your diet and body composition. Even them beanpole skinny guys have abs. Just after xmas I was 215lbs at about 15-16%, and now at 209 and 9-10% it's a totally different body. I dont' have any before shots, so I'll spare you the pics. If you're really not all that concerned with size, clean up your diet, and keep after that cardio, you'll start seeing definition in no time.

Post up some now pics. That is a good size you are at. How tall are you?

post #19 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-15-2007, 12:55 AM
Hired Hand

Quote:
Post up some now pics. That is a good size you are at. How tall are you?
I don't have any pics worth lookin' at, as I've been pretty bad about photo logging my progress over the years, but here's one I snapped with my phone at the begining of February. 5'10" 211ish at around 11-12%. Considering that I was up to about 21% bodyfat at my heaviest, I'd say the diet's slowly working. The bad thing is that I get so strict that I can only do it for so long before going crazy.

Raven 2006 Yamaha R6S

post #20 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-15-2007, 01:02 AM Thread Starter
Banned

Quote:

I miss being in highschool. Eat whatever the fuck I want and still be lean as fuck. Probably had a lot to do with how active I was though. Porting cars for one job, mowing lawns for another, athletics, and working out.
post #21 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-15-2007, 07:46 AM
Ja Ja Ja Ja JEW UNIT!!

Quote:
I don't have any pics worth lookin' at, as I've been pretty bad about photo logging my progress over the years, but here's one I snapped with my phone at the begining of February. 5'10" 211ish at around 11-12%. Considering that I was up to about 21% bodyfat at my heaviest, I'd say the diet's slowly working. The bad thing is that I get so strict that I can only do it for so long before going crazy.

show off

D.
Pain, is weakness leaving the body.
post #22 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-15-2007, 08:26 AM
Lifer

Quote:

I hear ya. The first 2 weeks I thought I was going to die. I was very week eating no sugar but now I feel great. I am half way there. I hope to stay at 195 and drop to 5% in the next 6 weeks. Well you look good. Keep it up.

post #23 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-15-2007, 10:11 AM
Hired Hand

Quote:
I hear ya. The first 2 weeks I thought I was going to die. I was very week eating no sugar but now I feel great. I am half way there. I hope to stay at 195 and drop to 5% in the next 6 weeks. Well you look good. Keep it up.

I've had a couple sugar fixes this last week, but it's aout time to turn up the heat. My first goal was to get off that fat I gained over the holidays, and now that the sun's come back out, it's time to start jogging and get down to 7-8% for lake season. Kinda funny how things are all relative, there was a point in my life that I thought that I'd be completely content when I got to the point that I'm at now, and now that I'm here I want a little more. I suppose that it's better than being addicted to crack... lol

Raven 2006 Yamaha R6S

post #24 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-15-2007, 10:33 AM
Ja Ja Ja Ja JEW UNIT!!

*sLAP*

D.
post #25 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-15-2007, 11:02 AM
Ja Ja Ja Ja JEW UNIT!!

fucker.. put your shirt back on.. you are making me feel fat

D.