Rock Climbing - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-27-2007, 08:05 PM Thread Starter
UNFUCKWITHABLE

Rock Climbing

So at the rec. here we have a 53 ft. tall 4000 square foot climbimg wall... I have wanted to start climbing for a while now, but just got around to it.
I took a ropes and belaying class today, and did a little climbing, and tomorrow I'll take my test on them so I can use it whenever.

Holy shit, this stuff is fun

Anyone else climb? Any pointers for a n00b?

Audentes Fortuna Juvat
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-27-2007, 08:25 PM
No Cerveza... No Trabajo

I don't climb much anymore but I use to go to Exposure in Carrollton and climb. Did bouldering in Eldorado Canyon near Boulder, CO., Enchanted Rock near Austin, Mineral Wells many times. Nothing spectacular, some 5.8s maybe a 5.9.

If you climb anything of substance you need great flexibility, fingers that can crush a brick and being slightly underweight helps alot.

I have a finger board at home (haven't used it in over a year) and when I worked outside the house my office was next to some railroad tracks/bridge. Me and a friend placed about 100 holds all around the tressels and would climb during lunch time.

Another favorite exercise would be to do pull ups using the fingers in a doorway.

I enjoy rock climbing, I just like doing other things more and to get to where you can climb a 5.9/5.10 you need to spend alot of time climbing.

My 401K is now a 400K (was 301K)
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-27-2007, 08:39 PM Thread Starter
UNFUCKWITHABLE

Quote:
Originally Posted by 01WhiteCobra
If you climb anything of substance you need great flexibility, fingers that can crush a brick and being slightly underweight helps alot.
Umm yeaaahhh....
At 5'10, 205 lbs, it will be interesting . I'm pretty flexible (might need to work on the brick crushing grip) but I'll probably cut back on the lifting for a while and do more climbing.

They have from 5.7 to 5.13 here and seperate stuff for bouldering. This is my last semester here and my class load isn't bad, so I see myself spending a good amount of time practicing.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-27-2007, 08:41 PM
Lifer

I used too, back when i was in Scouts. I have been to the U.S's tallest indoor gym too. I would like to get back into it, its alot of fun. I think hand strength is key in climbing. Also use your legs as much as possible not your arms.

02-z28
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-27-2007, 08:44 PM Thread Starter
UNFUCKWITHABLE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronin6135
I think hand strength is key in climbing. Also use your legs as much as possible not your arms.
I definitely know about using the legs.
I have good leg strength, but I haven't done any running in a quite a while... it will be a toss up between grip and endurance for what kills me.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-28-2007, 11:02 AM
No Cerveza... No Trabajo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stroked71Bowtie
Umm yeaaahhh....
At 5'10, 205 lbs, it will be interesting . I'm pretty flexible (might need to work on the brick crushing grip) but I'll probably cut back on the lifting for a while and do more climbing.

They have from 5.7 to 5.13 here and seperate stuff for bouldering. This is my last semester here and my class load isn't bad, so I see myself spending a good amount of time practicing.
5.13 is interesting in the wild.

My 401K is now a 400K (was 301K)
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-28-2007, 07:19 PM Thread Starter
UNFUCKWITHABLE

First day... just spent 3 hours climbing with a friend. Stuck to the 5.7 and 5.8 stuff.

Holy shit, I'm addicted. We had a blast.

I need to work on moving my legs before my arms though... I had some problems getting a bit too strecthed out every now and then
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-02-2007, 03:03 PM
You never go full retard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stroked71Bowtie
So at the rec. here we have a 53 ft. tall 4000 square foot climbimg wall... I have wanted to start climbing for a while now, but just got around to it.
I took a ropes and belaying class today, and did a little climbing, and tomorrow I'll take my test on them so I can use it whenever.

Holy shit, this stuff is fun

Anyone else climb? Any pointers for a n00b?

Huge fan of rockclimbing. Used to climb all the time over at Exposure in Addison. Used to climb with the 18 year old that was a Jr. World Climbing Champion. Me and a few buddies used to make regular trips out to the silos and Mineral Wells State Park. It's been a while since I've been. Tore the rotator cuff and extra stress wasn't good for it.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-02-2007, 08:02 PM Thread Starter
UNFUCKWITHABLE

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVTdeuce
Huge fan of rockclimbing. Used to climb all the time over at Exposure in Addison. Used to climb with the 18 year old that was a Jr. World Climbing Champion. Me and a few buddies used to make regular trips out to the silos and Mineral Wells State Park. It's been a while since I've been. Tore the rotator cuff and extra stress wasn't good for it.

I am definitely learning more every day.

I got a pair of Mad Rock Mugens today. Not too expensive, but much much better than what I was using. I was uneasy about the fit at first (how small they are supposed to fit), but after today I realized that on the wall, when the fit well you don't even notice it... they can be a pain when standing flat footed or walking though.

Oh, and I lied. The wall here has from 5.5 up to 5.17. Watching people climb that shit is insane!

I've done mostly 5.8 so far, with one 5.9, and I've been playing around with bouldering and the numbered holds along the bottom (cant remember what it's called). Where do you do, say, right hand on evens left on odds across the wall and back.

I am definitely hooked!
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-03-2007, 01:05 AM
Hero in a half shell

First time I went was about 5 years ago, I was hooked, so about the following week or so, a couple buddies and I went again for a couple hours, took a lunch break and came back for a few more hours, that was the rawest feeling my hands had ever experienced lol

post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-03-2007, 01:23 AM Thread Starter
UNFUCKWITHABLE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fobra
First time I went was about 5 years ago, I was hooked, so about the following week or so, a couple buddies and I went again for a couple hours, took a lunch break and came back for a few more hours, that was the rawest feeling my hands had ever experienced lol

Fuck, I know the feeling. I have spent at least 2-3 hours/day there for the past few days. My callousses are coming back, and my hands, in general, are sore as shit... but I love it.

As we speak, I am trying to talk a friend into coming with me tomorrow. I want to go work on the low crossing stuff and bouldering, and I offered to belay for him for as long as he wants (he's not certified)... but 2-6pm on Saturday is a hard sale.
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-03-2007, 01:34 AM
You never go full retard

I went out to mineral wells state park a few years back and spent the day out there with some buddies. I was soo freaking sore when I got home. The bad part was that the girlfriend wanted action when I got home.... now i'll go if i'm tired.... but when im sore, thats another story. Talk about using muscles you never knew you had when it comes to climbing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement