Caffeine: good or bad. - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-08-2007, 10:39 PM Thread Starter

Caffeine: good or bad.

I bought some caffeine tabs so i could take before working out to get some energy. Are they bad for you? Ive heard both sides. I take about 400mg at once. Is that too much? Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-08-2007, 10:46 PM
Aspiring Bean Counter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stangs4life
I bought some caffeine tabs so i could take before working out to get some energy. Are they bad for you? Ive heard both sides. I take about 400mg at once. Is that too much? Thanks.
i saw a thing on mythbusters where they used pure caffeine for something, and they said that it doesn't take much of pure caffeine to kill you.

i don't know what's in caffeine pills, but after seeing that, I'll never even come close to them. even though they're probably not that bad.

post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-08-2007, 10:50 PM
HERE WE GO STEELERS

Quote:
Originally Posted by stangs4life
There's about 160mg of caffeine per each cup of coffee. The ld/50 of caffeine is like 15,000 grams or some shit.. you'll be fine.

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-08-2007, 10:52 PM
Foxaholic

Eat some complex carbs instead. Caffeine is not a good thing to take before working out.

Creatine is great for getting more out of each set if that is what you are after.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-08-2007, 11:02 PM
UNFUCKWITHABLE

I don't know how good or bad it is for you...

but, I <3 espresso.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-09-2007, 07:01 AM
No Cerveza... No Trabajo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geof
There's about 160mg of caffeine per each cup of coffee. The ld/50 of caffeine is like 15,000 grams or some shit.. you'll be fine.
Change that grams to milligrams and I'll agree with you.

The LD50 (median lethal dose) for caffeine is estimated between 150 to 200 milligrams per kilogram of bodyweight (about 18 grams on the high side for a 200 lb person).

If that is the only caffeine you are ingesting during the day you'll be fine except for the caffeine crash after working out. Would be better to take in some low glycemic carbs and some protein about an hour before working out. Follow up with some high glycemic carbs and protein afterwards.

My 401K is now a 400K (was 301K)
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-09-2007, 12:43 PM
Baller

I've read that Caffeine also restrics blood flow which takes away from the effectiveness of the workout. Not sure what quantity or caffeine it takes to make a noticeable difference however. I still take a shit load of caffeine pills as well if I dont plan on sleeping that day.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-09-2007, 02:18 PM
No Cerveza... No Trabajo

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruffdaddy
I've read that Caffeine also restrics blood flow which takes away from the effectiveness of the workout. Not sure what quantity or caffeine it takes to make a noticeable difference however. I still take a shit load of caffeine pills as well if I dont plan on sleeping that day.
Doubt caffeine will help or hinder short bursts of of high intensity exercise but its positive effects on endurance events has been well noted.

Good summary here:
http://www.rice.edu/~jenky/sports/caffeine.html

post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-09-2007, 04:20 PM
Lifer

I do know that caffeine is the worst thing you can do to your prostate, according to my urologist. I've cut way back, and I feel better overall. No trouble going to sleep anymore, either.

CHL holder and Conservative...AKA "Domestic Terrorist"
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-09-2007, 04:46 PM
No Cerveza... No Trabajo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vertnut
I've cut way back, and I feel better overall. No trouble going to sleep anymore, either.
That really was my conclusion as well.

Man, I use to down a case of diet cokes every two days. When that didn't do the trick I'd throw a couple of red bulls in every now and then.

I weaned away over the past year switching to green tea and then nothing.

I fall asleep quicker and I sleep much better. When the alarm goes off it is like I just went to sleep. No more waking up at 2 in the moring. I also don't have the mid-afternoon crash and my already low blood pressure dropped.

Only takes me an additional 10 minutes are so in the morning to feel awake.

post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-09-2007, 08:51 PM
WTF is Zed?

I don't drink coffee or sodas, but I do take some caffeine pills on my long workout days before lifting. Gives me a big boost in energy. http://www.bodybuilding.com/store/vpx/redcaps.html
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-09-2007, 08:57 PM
Lifer

I wouldn't do it. Caffeine is not good for you. I quit drinking any thing with caffeine for a few months before i did a 100 mile backpacking trip and i felt soooo much better. Most people get more than enough with out taking pills!!!

02-z28
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-10-2007, 01:42 AM

I don't know that much about caffine either..but I will admit ..I cut caffine pretty much out of my diet and rely on eating right for my energy...I admit sometimes I take a hydroxycut about 30 minutes before workout (depending on how I feel that day) and it gives me good energy all throughout my work out..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement