Lets Talk Cholesterol... - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-07-2007, 08:03 PM Thread Starter
Rookie

Lets Talk Cholesterol...

Well, you know i've always said to just workout hard and forget about what you eat....
Yesterday they got me a little worried.
I had a Health and Wellbeing screening at work and my cholesterol is bad.

First off im 5'11" 191lbs, 11% bodyfat, Pulse 66, BP 114/74, Sugar 86, Flexibility is good, is what they measured. Very good so far.

Cholesterol Total: 165. Not bad i thought.
HDL: Below 40 is bad. Mine is 16.
LDL: 131 High
Ratio: Good is less than 4.6. Mine is 9.6

Well, i guess 16 is very bad and they wrote a note for me to give to my doctor about the low HDL and the High LDL. Problem is i dont have a doctor i see. Never have had one and this is the first time i've ever seen my Cholesterol.
Im going to watch what i eat a little more and the lady said i could take some Omega-3 to help with the HDL's since im already working out a lot.

Anyone else have Cholesterol problems? Any other ideas?

87 LX Hatch -- Project 302 [email protected] -- 4 Sale
89 4 eye coupe (Grayhorse)
07 Harley Truck S/C
08 G-37S
LockoutSupplements.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-07-2007, 08:09 PM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRAYHORSE
Well, you know i've always said to just workout hard and forget about what you eat....
Yesterday they got me a little worried.
I had a Health and Wellbeing screening at work and my cholesterol is bad.

First off im 5'11" 191lbs, 11% bodyfat, Pulse 66, BP 114/74, Sugar 86, Flexibility is good, is what they measured. Very good so far.

Cholesterol Total: 165. Not bad i thought.
HDL: Below 40 is bad. Mine is 16.
LDL: 131 High
Ratio: Good is less than 4.6. Mine is 9.6

Well, i guess 16 is very bad and they wrote a note for me to give to my doctor about the low HDL and the High LDL. Problem is i dont have a doctor i see. Never have had one and this is the first time i've ever seen my Cholesterol.
Im going to watch what i eat a little more and the lady said i could take some Omega-3 to help with the HDL's since im already working out a lot.

My Mom has bad Cholesterol. Doc has her on Meds with some ruff side effects.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-07-2007, 08:26 PM
Time Served

I am in a similar situation, decent health and such, but since I hit my 30's, my cholesterol has taken the high road. My usual # was around 155 and that last time i had it check it was at 258! Way out of whack. HDL was high and LDL was low.

I am on statins right now, I exercise regularly (4-5 time weekly) and I eat well lots of non-red meat, oatmeal, rice, grains, veggies, and a glass of red wine a night. Without the statin meds, I still have high cholesterol, it is my genetics. Might be yours as well. BTW, the meds I am on don't have any real bad side effects. Headaches from time to time and colds stick around longer than usual, but nothing major.

Sounds like it might be time to get a regular doctor and start off on a path to recovery....

BTW, Crestor is wicked expensive....good luck!

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-07-2007, 08:31 PM
mannish boy

shit, I don't even want to know... I'm sure mine's high as fuck!
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-07-2007, 08:36 PM
Lifer

Its the American way...buy now pay later...you will pay with very bad coronary artery disease in the next 20yrs if you do not get your cholesterol under control. Go get a doctor that can follow your leves and treat appropriately. Niacin and omega-3 FAs work well in increasing HDL. Statins work well at lowering LDL. They are also good for hte heart in other ways.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-07-2007, 08:38 PM Thread Starter
Rookie

well, i do eat fast food nearly twice everyday. TONS of red meat and beans. Donuts every morning. haha

I guess im going to have a cook a lot more. Im going to try the omega-3 also.
Im having a follow up test next month so well see if i can make some changes.

07 Harley Truck S/C
08 G-37S
LockoutSupplements.com
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-07-2007, 08:38 PM Thread Starter
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by davbrucas
Its the American way...buy now pay later...you will pay with very bad coronary artery disease in the next 20yrs if you do not get your cholesterol under control. Go get a doctor that can follow your leves and treat appropriately. Niacin and omega-3 FAs work well in increasing HDL. Statins work well at lowering LDL. They are also good for hte heart in other ways.

I knew you'd get me worried even more.

07 Harley Truck S/C
08 G-37S
LockoutSupplements.com
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-07-2007, 09:56 PM
UNFUCKWITHABLE

Last time I had any bloodwork done, my cholesterol was 117. I dont remember the LDL HDL split though.

It was/is low, but I definitely still watch what I eat. My dad is the head of the cardiac cath lab at RHD and my mom is an NP... hearing about all of the fucked up hearts and general bad health that they see every day has made me paranoid
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-07-2007, 11:39 PM Thread Starter
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stroked71Bowtie
Last time I had any bloodwork done, my cholesterol was 117. I dont remember the LDL HDL split though.

It was/is low, but I definitely still watch what I eat. My dad is the head of the cardiac cath lab at RHD and my mom is an NP... hearing about all of the fucked up hearts and general bad health that they see every day has made me paranoid
I hear that, i see many fucked up ppl day to day also. I deliver many patients to your pops.

07 Harley Truck S/C
08 G-37S
LockoutSupplements.com
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-08-2007, 12:33 PM
No Cerveza... No Trabajo

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRAYHORSE
I come from a family of high blood pressure and high cholesterol so I get it checked fairly regulary. Of parents and children I am the only one not on high blood pressure and cholesterol medicine (middle child). My family history indicates heart disease is prevalent (two grandparents died of heart attacks, my mother had a heart attack at 55, my dad has had 4 aneurysms repaired)

1/15/08

Cholesterol Total: 172
HDL: 70
LDL: 102
Ratio: 1.45
Blood Pressure: 102/60 (always been low)
Triglycerides: 110 mg/dL
Other blood tests: well with normal/exceptional range

Typically, on average, my "wake up pulse" is below 40 and my resting pulse is 50-55.

I eat alot of fish every week (typically salmon, tuna, trout)... sometimes every day. I try to ingest 4-5g of fish oil through eating fish and supplements. Other than that supplementation, I take in a daily multi-vitamin, 400mg vitamin E, 2G vitamin C and 5G glutamine (I've tried it all and the supplement regimen I'm now on is what I think works best for me. I have started to experiment with supplementing BCAAs lately as I've read a study or two that says it increase endurance and that is always my goal.)

As far as the rest of the diet... I've replaced most of my saturated fats with poly/mono saturated, lots of fiber (40-50 grams a day), egg whites instead of whole eggs, lots of complex carbs, lots of fruits and veggies, stay away from the red meat except occasionally, limit salt, etc, etc. Occasionally things like pizza and such.

I do have days (like yesterday) that for whatever reason I cannot eat enough food. Typically, I don't try to deprive and eat whatever I crave. I bet I ate 5000-6000 calories yesterday and 50-60% of it was fat. Only happens about once every 3-4 months so I don't worry about it (although it has happened twice in three weeks this time!).

I figure, for whatever reason, my body needed some fat for some reason and I'll give my body what it needs.

And of course, exercise my ass off daily.

My 401K is now a 400K (was 301K)
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-09-2007, 08:44 PM
Time Served

I take Red Yeast Rice and Omega3 FAs.... Dropped my cholesterol over a 100 points and no side effects...

I was at 280, now hover around 170/180. Of course, eat semi-healthy also...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement