Clue me in on Health Club Courtesy - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-06-2007, 08:53 AM Thread Starter

Clue me in on Health Club Courtesy

I've spent most of my days working out at high school and university weight rooms. Since I retired from coaching, I've been going to a Health Club in Garland.
Anyway...I'm about to get on a pec machine and this young guy comes up to me and tells me...."I need to finish my last set". I look at him in a questioning manner and he repeated himself. I crossed my arms and told him, "Go ahead Sir" and stepped back. He did his 7-8 reps and left and said thank you. What's the deal?
I was always under the impression if you were at a machine....then you were next.
What was really sad about this incident was the 3rd set on this guy, I estimate to be in his mid-late 20's and maybe weighing 180, was 8 plates less than my first warm up. Is there a "3rd set rule" I'm not aware of?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-06-2007, 09:45 AM
Arbeit Macht Frei

If he gets off and walks away, fuck him. You cant "save" a machine till you get back from your drink of water if someone else wants to do a set...
Sometimes it gets so busy its hard to get in on some of the machines you want to use from all the people hogging them, or sitting and resting on the machine when they arent even doing another set...

"Wealth Dies, Kinsman Die, A man himself must likewise die; But word-fame, Never dies, For him who achieves it well"
-Hávamál-

post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-06-2007, 09:58 AM
BP
Keep your unicorns

Quote:
Originally Posted by RocDoc
What was really sad about this incident was the 3rd set on this guy, I estimate to be in his mid-late 20's and maybe weighing 180, was 8 plates less than my first warm up. Is there a "3rd set rule" I'm not aware of?
The guy was an impatient douche bag. He could have easily waited until you were done with a set.

I hate the women that get on the machines and do sets of 20 with 1 or maybe 2 plates on it. Makes me want to point out the cardio equipment on the other side of the gym, since thats all they are doing.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-06-2007, 10:11 AM
Horsepower Tycoon

Get used to it, it gets worse this time of year. But he may have just went to get a drink of of water and wanted to finish his last set before you start your 8 plate warm-up.

He should have asked instead of telling you.

I wear headphones so if anyone trys that, I just jam-on and ignore them. Of course I watch to see if they are done or if they are flapping there lips with someone, in that case, I just jump on it.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-06-2007, 10:12 AM
Hired Hand

Quote:
Originally Posted by BP
The guy was an impatient douche bag. He could have easily waited until you were done with a set.

He may have been doing a compound set with another movement or bodypart, or had to go get some water. Hydration is very important, and I often head to the water fountain mid-set. If someone happens upon the machine or bench that I'm working on, I'll wait til they finish their set, and I'll explain that I've got two more to go, and that I'll be working in. It's a gym guys, not kindergarden, it's okay to share.

Raven 2006 Yamaha R6S

"If it has horsepower or tits you're gonna have trouble with it eventually..."
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-06-2007, 11:28 AM
Lifer

Remember that it's all about ME!!!
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-06-2007, 12:04 PM
Lifer

Hence why I workout at home!
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-06-2007, 01:15 PM
Rookie

Like Raven said, i do super sets a lot of times with machines that are far away from each other.
However, i always let ppl work in with me if they want too.

87 LX Hatch -- Project 302 [email protected] -- 4 Sale
89 4 eye coupe (Grayhorse)
07 Harley Truck S/C
08 G-37S
LockoutSupplements.com
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-06-2007, 03:17 PM
Lifer

[QUOTE= It's a gym guys, not kindergarden, it's okay to share.[/QUOTE]

That would make a great t-shirt

George
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-07-2007, 08:34 AM
Roy L. Dennis

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRAYHORSE
Like Raven said, i do super sets a lot of times with machines that are far away from each other.
However, i always let ppl work in with me if they want too.
x2. I do the same thing.

SELECT * FROM users
WHERE clue > 0

0 rows returned
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-07-2007, 03:15 PM
No Cerveza... No Trabajo

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Raven
He may have been doing a compound set with another movement or bodypart, or had to go get some water. Hydration is very important, and I often head to the water fountain mid-set. If someone happens upon the machine or bench that I'm working on, I'll wait til they finish their set, and I'll explain that I've got two more to go, and that I'll be working in. It's a gym guys, not kindergarden, it's okay to share.

For the most part I agree with you. But it does seem the other guy was being a little too aggresive.

I mean, if he had to tell him he had one more set, it is obvious the old dude was somewhere near the machine and getting into position.

A little courtesy, maybe a quick, "Hey, do you mind if I jump in first. I'm finishing up a superset."... "Thanks, dude." goes quite a long way. In the gym or not.

If some pulled that shit on me and just said, "I need to finish my last set." I'd probably tell him, "Sure right after I finish mine."

Like you said, its a gym, not kindergarten.

My 401K is now a 400K (was 301K)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement