forearm pain - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-01-2007, 03:24 PM Thread Starter
Lifer

forearm pain

Has anyone ever had a sharp pain in their forearms? If you take your other hand and squeeze that inner muscle, the part where your fingers(not thumb) sink into the muscle between the forearm and wrist. I've had this for about 2 weeks now and it doesn't want to get better. It really hurts towards the end of the work out and hurts to grip and let go of the weights. I've gone as much as a week without doing an upper workout. I really don't want to quit for 2-3 weeks while it heals. Damn weak ass forearms!

George
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-01-2007, 03:32 PM
No Cerveza... No Trabajo

Sounds like tendonitis. Any swelling? Lots of tendons around the wrist area.

Try some ice and some ibuprofen.

My 401K is now a 400K (was 301K)
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-01-2007, 03:43 PM
Lifer

i used to get that very bad. It was only when i would do curls. Found out that if i used a straight bar i wouldn't get it anymore.

02-z28

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-01-2007, 03:47 PM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 01WhiteCobra
Sounds like tendonitis. Any swelling? Lots of tendons around the wrist area.

Try some ice and some ibuprofen.
x2, I get that if I bowl a lot
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-01-2007, 04:55 PM Thread Starter
Lifer

no swelling, just pain. I do use that ez curl bar preacher style, also do cable curls and hammer curls. Tri's are the skull crusher style and cable pull. Should it eventually go away? I'll take some ibuprofen...do you mean every time before a workout?

George
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-01-2007, 05:00 PM
Time Served

If you haven't been- vary things up. Also use wrist starps on heavy lifts like deadlifts, shrugs, rows, lat pulls, ect... give your tendons a break where you can. Ice and Ibu is good short term until it gets better.
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-01-2007, 07:44 PM
Rookie

YES!! I have it bad and it sucks. For me it hurts worse if i have to turn the wrist from side to side. Like twisting it. Feels like a torn tendon or something. I've been pushing through it for 2 months now and it slowly gets worse.
I use wrist wraps too. This shit is slowing my progress down for sure!
The staight bar stuff hurts the worse for me. I have to move my wrist around and find a good spot with the cable shit.

I'll try the ibuprofen. Recently i've tried icey-hot with no luck.

87 LX Hatch -- Project 302 [email protected] -- 4 Sale
89 4 eye coupe (Grayhorse)
07 Harley Truck S/C
08 G-37S
LockoutSupplements.com
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-01-2007, 08:45 PM
Worship me

It means you are doing some good. Keep pounding the iron, it will go away.
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-01-2007, 08:56 PM
DFWMUSTANGS.NET

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRAYHORSE
Recently i've tried icey-hot with no luck.
you can buy this stuff at any drug store called Absorbine Jr. It's basically a diluted liniment for human use. It's good stuff for sore muscles (and for warming up before workouts). If you get the stuff for horses it's even better. A bottle lasts forever. http://www.flexcart.com/members/elit...id=176&pid=492
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-02-2007, 08:01 AM
Animalistic Intensitiy

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRAYHORSE
YES!! I have it bad and it sucks. For me it hurts worse if i have to turn the wrist from side to side. Like twisting it. Feels like a torn tendon or something. I've been pushing through it for 2 months now and it slowly gets worse.
I use wrist wraps too. This shit is slowing my progress down for sure!
The staight bar stuff hurts the worse for me. I have to move my wrist around and find a good spot with the cable shit.

I'll try the ibuprofen. Recently i've tried icey-hot with no luck.

Greg if I was you I'd have that checked out before you continue on your way to compete, Ask your brother he should be able to tell you. Plus if you don't allow it to heal you risk perm. damage. I have a friend that I can refer you to if you need.

Joe.

2000 2v

Quote:
Originally Posted by Undertaker
WTF IS A FISTING? Like a fight?
Quote:
Originally Posted by NaSSty Nate
A fight to get his/her fist in your twat...
post #11 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-02-2007, 08:13 AM
Lifer

My wife just got released back to work because of the same thing and turned out to be tendonitus and she to have multiple injections in her wrist before she could get full use of it again.
post #12 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-02-2007, 11:46 AM
HPP = GHEY

see i dont get all that... i just go dumb from the elbow down

Nick's Custom Detailing 214-205-1287

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennybo View Post
Don't care if you do. This is not going to be another talk about Kenny's Cobalt thread. I know what my other car runs and I am proud of it. It might be hard for you to swallow that pill, but there are lots of 4 bangers that run 13s and better. SRT-4 Neons, Cobalt SS's, Saturn Sky Redline's and Evo's do it all the time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach1Marauder
HPP FUCKED ME OVER!!!
post #13 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-02-2007, 11:50 AM
No Cerveza... No Trabajo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbo5.4
see i dont get all that... i just go dumb from the elbow down
That actually may be compressed nerves in your elbow. I don't have the world's greatest posture when I'm programming and tend to rest my elbows on the arm rests. After 8 or so hours in front of the screen, if I don't take a break, I'll get numb from my elbow down to my pinkie finger.

My doctor diagnosed it as ulnar tunnel syndrome.

post #14 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-02-2007, 01:20 PM
Time Served

as a rock climber, i know ALLLLLLL about finger tendon/forearm/elbow injuries. you definitely have got to take it easy. if you pop a tendon around your hand, you will be out of action for MONTHS. i suggest you go to a doc if you can, have it properly diagnosed. i have had a recurring elbow injury for 3-4 years now, and the doc said it will never go away unless i have surgery because i never let it heal right the first time. the muscles in your forearms are nothing to fuck with, they take months and years to develop into true strength. wrist wraps are just a bandaid, they wont actually save your tendon from tearing from your wrist and rolling up into your elbow. mmm fun!
post #15 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-03-2007, 03:33 PM
Time Served

Thumbs up

ice 15 min heat 15 min back and forth every day about 3 times a day, sit out upper body for about a week and you should be good! Dont take ibeprofen or any pain killers before working out it wont go well with your body building muscle tissue! and if you start back and it keeps on hurting go to the doc if he says you need to rest up ask about sugar injections it will help, thats what many body builders do before contests if they feel what your feeling. but be carful not to work it out to hard bc if you do tear it youll be out a long time and will need surgry!
post #16 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-03-2007, 04:06 PM
Rookie

I've been icing it at night with some Ibuprofen and the pain has already dulled a little bit.
So far so good. I hope the pain continues to go away!

07 Harley Truck S/C
08 G-37S
LockoutSupplements.com
post #17 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-04-2007, 06:47 AM Thread Starter
Lifer

I'll get some ibu today and ice it down. It's actually starting to hurt more now and I haven't worked out since Thurs. If I so much as rest my forarm against a table corner or even carry my 20lb baby with that arm it hurts pretty bad. I'm gonna lay off it for a week or so.

George
post #18 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-05-2007, 12:22 PM
Lifer

It could also be caused by gripping the bar too tight when you lift. I was having that problem when benching and curling, but I started to focus on not squeezing too hard.

2001 Mustang Bullitt GT #5111 367.6rwhp/378.4rwtq
2004 Black Lightning #789 STOCK: 363.1rwhp/444.8rwtq
post #19 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-05-2007, 11:37 PM

ya mine just started hurting a few days ago. I think its from the preacher curls with the ez bar, cuz i never used to do preacher's until a couple weeks ago, and thats when i noticed the pain. also it doesn't really feel like its my muscles that hurt...almost like my bones are tender. who knows...
post #20 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-14-2007, 12:30 PM Thread Starter
Lifer

Well, after 2 weeks of laying off the weights, I tried to work upper body yesterday and felt the pain coming back. Went to the dr today and was hoping for the cortizone shots but he gave me some Celebrex. Said I may need to lay off for a month or so...this sucks.

George
post #21 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-14-2007, 03:01 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by George G.
Well, after 2 weeks of laying off the weights, I tried to work upper body yesterday and felt the pain coming back. Went to the dr today and was hoping for the cortizone shots but he gave me some Celebrex. Said I may need to lay off for a month or so...this sucks.

The ice and Ibu didnt help.
I havent taken any brake and it at least helped me. The pain is there but not near as bad.

07 Harley Truck S/C
08 G-37S
LockoutSupplements.com
post #22 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-14-2007, 09:40 PM
NOT the Oldest Fart HERE

how I cured my tendonitis

I got it bowling, what I think happened to me was the lining around the tendon split, pain, burning, couldn't lift shit, even at rest it would hurt. It was this way for 6 months. I wore a wrap every day and it helped with the pain during the day and at rest, as long as the wrap was on, it felt ok. I finally left the wrap on at night to and on all day, just taking it off for a shower, then back on it went. after 3 weeks it was healed. What I think was going on was : as long as I had a compression wrap on, the tendon cover was healing, as soon as I removed it to sleep, it split back apart. Wear a simple elastic compression wrap for a few weeks continuously and see if it heals, mine did.
post #23 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-14-2007, 10:16 PM
No Cerveza... No Trabajo

Quote:
Originally Posted by George G.
Cortisone is typically only used if there is severe inflamation and swelling. You really don't want to use cortisone except as a last resort. Cortisone leaches minerals away from bone and weakens cartilage.

Since there is almost immediate relief from pain you think all is better when it really isn't. So you go back to normal activity and further fuck up what is wrong... possibly further damaging the area.

My ortho told me he rarely uses cortisone for those reasons and typically only when he knows surgery is imminent (meaning the problem will be fixed surgically very soon.)

Rest, ice, celebrex (in your case). You may want to try some active recovery for the area. Get a tennis ball and starting squeezing it through out the day. Start with gentle squeezes and progressively get more forceful.

I know it sucks. Being a 43 year old triathlete and rupturing my achilles tendon sucked and set me back probably two years. I was finally making my way back to national age group ranking times. But... those are the breaks. I'm making steady progress back but looking at my log times I'm behind where I was almost two years ago. It will take me almost year to recover back to 2 years ago.

Just got to take the shit you are given and polish it into a rose...

I'm at where I was about 2 years ago now and I don't have many more years left to do this shit! haha.

post #24 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-15-2007, 03:15 PM Thread Starter
Lifer

Thanks for the input, it's always helpful. I guess it's good that I didnt get the cortizone shots....knowing me, I'd be back in the next day pushing it as you mentioned. I guess I can quit bitching and just take it easy for a while longer. The good thing is that it does appear to be getting better.

Good luck with your progress.

Grayhorse, how has yours been coming along?

George
Sponsored Links
Advertisement