I got promoted to the rank of blue belt in BJJ... - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-30-2007, 10:55 AM Thread Starter
Pushed to the limit

I got promoted to the rank of blue belt in BJJ...

but I learned very quickly that it doesn't makes me a better grappler. In fact, it has made me a target for white belts who want to get promoted. On the positive side, it has motivated me to train harder to stay ahead of them.

Buying dogs kills.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-30-2007, 11:10 AM

congrats man! Ya grappling is by far one of my favorites!
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-30-2007, 11:39 AM
Go Rangers!!

Congrats man!!! But ughhhh...what's BJJ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester
Holy shit, well it's official, I am fuckin gay!

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-30-2007, 11:41 AM
Very Interesting

Black Junk Juggling

You're only as strong as you allow yourself to be...

Lockout Workout Forums and Supplements
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-30-2007, 11:44 AM Thread Starter
Pushed to the limit

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Big Matt
Black Junk Juggling
Brown Jelly Jousting...

Just kidding. It is Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu. I was just too lazy to spell it out and look at what my laziness has caused.

Buying dogs kills.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-30-2007, 01:45 PM
AHMO!

Congrats man that's bad ass!
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-31-2007, 07:56 PM
Time Served

Congrats man...plodding along w/my white, may never get my blue at the rate I'm progressing. I'm begining to think my "roll" is to boost others...
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-31-2007, 08:00 PM
The token Asian guy

Congrats!

We used to get sidekicks in the stomach when we got the next belt up. But that was Tae-Kwon-Do a long time ago.

post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-01-2007, 07:59 AM
Time Served

Quote:
Originally Posted by PWTRTXSS
but I learned very quickly that it doesn't makes me a better grappler. In fact, it has made me a target for white belts who want to get promoted. On the positive side, it has motivated me to train harder to stay ahead of them.

Hahah, that's awesome man! Congrats! You really have to have spent some time on the mat to appreciate what a big deal that is! I know what you're saying about being the target, I've literally seen bigger white belts line up to roll with the baby blues! I'm guilty of it myself, but just because they are all of the guys I started training with a long time ago, so we've always rolled together. (I was bummed they got ahead of me when I tore my ACL)

I'm getting pretty comfortable as a white belt, (been 3 stripes for 6 mos.) I hardly ever get tapped by other white belts any more and I'm pretty even-money with the baby blues. I can get maybe 1 outta 4 with the solid blues and the occasional purple (If I "catch" them... ). My instructor does 99% of his promotions at his quarterly seminars, so I have my fingers crossed for March . I'm going to the Carlos Machado tourney on Feb 10th, so I'm relieved to still be a white belt for that!

Again, congrats!! It's not like TKD where you get your first belt after 2-3 months of good attendance!
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-02-2007, 03:02 PM Thread Starter
Pushed to the limit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott H
Hahah, that's awesome man! Congrats! You really have to have spent some time on the mat to appreciate what a big deal that is! I know what you're saying about being the target, I've literally seen bigger white belts line up to roll with the baby blues! I'm guilty of it myself, but just because they are all of the guys I started training with a long time ago, so we've always rolled together. (I was bummed they got ahead of me when I tore my ACL)

I'm getting pretty comfortable as a white belt, (been 3 stripes for 6 mos.) I hardly ever get tapped by other white belts any more and I'm pretty even-money with the baby blues. I can get maybe 1 outta 4 with the solid blues and the occasional purple (If I "catch" them... ). My instructor does 99% of his promotions at his quarterly seminars, so I have my fingers crossed for March . I'm going to the Carlos Machado tourney on Feb 10th, so I'm relieved to still be a white belt for that!

Again, congrats!! It's not like TKD where you get your first belt after 2-3 months of good attendance!
It took me 1 year and 9 months to get it. I separated my right shoulder and had various other annoying injuries that set me back a few months. I have a mild separation of my left shoulder now but I didn't let it interfere with my training.

To be honest, I didn't expect it. I had pretty much given up on the idea because hardly anyone gets promoted at our school. I had been a white belt for over a year and 3 stripes for about 6 months. I was just working on stringing guard attacks together and solidifying my half-guard because I end up there a lot.

We get evaluated and tested for promotion without knowing what is going on. Last year, we did a in-school tournament for the white belts and a few guys got their blues then but I had to work that day and I missed it.

I have mixed feelings about the idea of being ranked...but that won't stop me from wearing the blue. I just need to keep earning it.

Buying dogs kills.
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-02-2007, 04:34 PM
Time Served

Quote:
Originally Posted by PWTRTXSS
It took me 1 year and 9 months to get it. I separated my right shoulder and had various other annoying injuries that set me back a few months. I have a mild separation of my left shoulder now but I didn't let it interfere with my training.

To be honest, I didn't expect it. I had pretty much given up on the idea because hardly anyone gets promoted at our school. I had been a white belt for over a year and 3 stripes for about 6 months. I was just working on stringing guard attacks together and solidifying my half-guard because I end up there a lot.

We get evaluated and tested for promotion without knowing what is going on. Last year, we did a in-school tournament for the white belts and a few guys got their blues then but I had to work that day and I missed it.

I have mixed feelings about the idea of being ranked...but that won't stop me from wearing the blue. I just need to keep earning it.

Hahah, awesome, again congrats and good luck!

I will have been at it two years on Feb 8th, but I took 7-8 mos off for my knee rehab, and took it easy for another few months after that.

I feel your pain (literally) my left shoulder is completely separated (grade 3) . (I did it before BJJ in a mtn bike crash, two months of PT.) It doesn't bother me too much, but it sure is a fun gag in the locker room! I'll pick some dude I just rolled with, take off my shirt and say, "Man, I think you just did something to my shoulder" then I rotate my shoulder forward and pop my collar bone out of place. I only notice it if someone tries to arm-triangle that side, or if I roll onto it just right. I may get it "fixed" one of these days, but I don't want to take the time off of BJJ to rehab it though. I asked my orthopedic surgeon if he'd give me frequent flyer miles... my 30s haven't been kind to me!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement