Is it better to use honey in Tea/coffee than sugar? - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-25-2007, 04:51 PM Thread Starter
Banned

Is it better to use honey in Tea/coffee than sugar?

Was wondering. Seem's like it would be but I have no facts to support it
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-25-2007, 04:53 PM
Lifer

I've always put honey in my Green Tea, but i drink my coffee black

Honesta Mors Turpi Vita Potior
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedLilPony
If you call me, I'll have phone sex with you.
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-25-2007, 04:54 PM
You never go full retard

I'll tell you, I've tried it in hot tea before and it tastes really odd. It doesn't work well in cold tea because it's really thick.

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-25-2007, 04:57 PM
Lifer

I have always heard it was better for you.

02-z28
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-25-2007, 04:58 PM
not exclude

Yes.
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-25-2007, 05:00 PM
iHustle

Rice Crispys + honey = best cereal made.

Chris
93Z
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-25-2007, 05:07 PM Thread Starter
Banned

Ok, maybe I should re-phrase. Is honey healthier for you than adding sugar to drinks?
I like honey in my green tea more than sugar
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-25-2007, 05:08 PM
not exclude

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephen4785
Ok, maybe I should re-phrase. Is honey healthier for you than adding sugar to drinks?
I like honey in my green tea more than sugar
Quote:
Originally Posted by exlude
Yes.
+1
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-25-2007, 05:10 PM
Oooooooh-whee

I like Splenda.

8/16/05
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-25-2007, 05:15 PM
Hired Hand

Natural sugar (fruits, as well as honey) is far better for you than processed cane sugar.

"The best sugars are simple sugars, liberally supplied by nature in honey, fruits and vegetables. They require little digestive effort for assimilation. White sugar depresses the appetite, irritates the stomach, produces heart-burn, acid fermentation, gastric catarrh, indigestion, exhausts the pancreatic activity and thus leads to diabetes. The ravages of artificial sugar increase in proportion to the degree of its refinement. Refined sugar is not only irritating to the intestinal tract but to the skin. Grocers and people who handle sugar often suffer from skin eruptions."

This excerpt was taken from Honey vs. Sugar if you want to read more.

Raven 2006 Yamaha R6S

"If it has horsepower or tits you're gonna have trouble with it eventually..."
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-25-2007, 05:15 PM
Lifer

I can't remember the exact chemicals, but a few months ago I was reading an article saying that a Tsp of honey has a bunch of different chemicals that help with different cancers supposedly.

And I also believe that since honey is a natural product that is much less processed than granular sugar it is better for you in the long run

<---loves me some honey in tea
post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-25-2007, 05:28 PM Thread Starter
Banned

Thanks. Honey it is.
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-25-2007, 05:43 PM
JPS

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephen4785
Thanks. Honey it is.
Not for me. I'll do the pink, blue, or yellow packets. I just prefer the taste of it in my hot tea.

JPS
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-28-2007, 11:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPS
Not for me. I'll do the pink, blue, or yellow packets. I just prefer the taste of it in my hot tea.

JPS

same here , honey still has sugar ..i stay away from anything that contains more that 5 grams of sugar ...SUGAR =BAD ...also some stuff in thoes packets are unhelathy as well, like sweet and low contains phenylanalyn (i think thats how its spelled) but it causes cancer in lab rats so ..i stay away from that ..
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-28-2007, 11:35 PM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dtownmang
same here , honey still has sugar ..i stay away from anything that contains more that 5 grams of sugar ...SUGAR =BAD ...also some stuff in thoes packets are unhelathy as well, like sweet and low contains phenylanalyn (i think thats how its spelled) but it causes cancer in lab rats so ..i stay away from that ..
No Phenylalanine does not cause cancer in rats, it was saccharin which is found in Sweet 'N low. Also, if you do your research about how large of dose they were giving the lab rats, it would be the equivalent of a 100kg human ingesting close to 0.5kg (~1.1 lbs.) of sweet 'N low per day for weeks.

Phenylalanine is only dangerous to very few people that have the disease PKU, in which their body cannot convert the amino acid phenylalanine into tyrosine.
post #16 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-29-2007, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stangcrazy
No Phenylalanine does not cause cancer in rats, it was saccharin which is found in Sweet 'N low. Also, if you do your research about how large of dose they were giving the lab rats, it would be the equivalent of a 100kg human ingesting close to 0.5kg (~1.1 lbs.) of sweet 'N low per day for weeks.

Phenylalanine is only dangerous to very few people that have the disease PKU, in which their body cannot convert the amino acid phenylalanine into tyrosine.
i stand corrected .. nice work
post #17 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-29-2007, 11:41 AM
No Cerveza... No Trabajo

Honey and table sugar have about the same sugar units. Both contain glucose and fructose. Honey has a few more calories than table sugar per same serving.

Since honey is "sweeter" you may use less but we're talking minimal calories here (about a 6 calorie difference per teaspoon.

The small amount of micronutrients in honey over sugar aren't really significant.

Bottom line... use what you like but using neither is better than using one or the other.

My post-workout recovery drink (for workouts lasting longer than 2 hours) is 16 ozs of skim milked and 6 teaspoons of sugar mixed in.

My 401K is now a 400K (was 301K)
post #18 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-29-2007, 11:58 AM
Time Served

Quote:
Originally Posted by 01WhiteCobra
Honey and table sugar have about the same sugar units. Both contain glucose and fructose. Honey has a few more calories than table sugar per same serving.

Since honey is "sweeter" you may use less but we're talking minimal calories here (about a 6 calorie difference per teaspoon.

The small amount of micronutrients in honey over sugar aren't really significant.

Bottom line... use what you like but using neither is better than using one or the other.

My post-workout recovery drink (for workouts lasting longer than 2 hours) is 16 ozs of skim milked and 6 teaspoons of sugar mixed in.
i bet honey instead of the sufar would taste better... i put honey in my post workout shakes... not to help recovery, just cuz it tasts good.
post #19 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-29-2007, 12:09 PM
No Cerveza... No Trabajo

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeedleSharp
i bet honey instead of the sufar would taste better... i put honey in my post workout shakes... not to help recovery, just cuz it tasts good.
I use sugar for a few different reasons, first it is processed faster, second because I'm trying to get a 4:1 carb/protein ratio in me as soon as possible. The sugar+skimmed milk combo does that.

I could buy different powders to get the same effect but the cost per serving over the homemade brew is huge.

But, yea, what it comes down to is taste, which you like better.

On the glycemic index honey rates about a 87 and table sugar rates about a 59. So in terms of "crashing" after ingesting the sugar, table sugar won't make you crash as hard.

My 401K is now a 400K (was 301K)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement