Ready to step it up diet wise. - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-20-2007, 08:43 PM Thread Starter
Rookie

Ready to step it up diet wise.

I dont know why but im eating less fast food latley.
I usually eat Long Johns twice a week but now the grease is making me gag before im done eating.
I've always ate fast food at least once a day and now about 2 times a week.

Anyway, im ready to get serious and give a try for once. I need some pointers on what vitamins i should be taking to help with my muscle gains. I see a lot of ppl taking fish oils, purple wrath, tribis this and that, algerine, daily vitamins, glutamine, creatine, etc.

What do i need and will these really help my lifting or just my health?

I'd guess im eating around 4500-5000 caleries a day at the moment. About 1500 of that is muscle milk. (My only supp. right now)

My goal is still power lifting at the moment.

5'11
187lbs
10% BF

87 LX Hatch -- Project 302 [email protected] -- 4 Sale
89 4 eye coupe (Grayhorse)
07 Harley Truck S/C
08 G-37S
LockoutSupplements.com

Last edited by GRAYHORSE; 01-20-2007 at 08:51 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-20-2007, 08:59 PM
Hired Hand

You're probably getting plenty of monounsaturated fats, so the fish oil isn't priority. But if you do decide to clean it up and go low fat, supplementing EFAs would be a good idea. I personally just take glutamine, vitamin C, and a multivitamin. Looks like oyu're getting planty of calories, so I don't know what else would be advantagous to a powerlifter.

Raven 2006 Yamaha R6S

"If it has horsepower or tits you're gonna have trouble with it eventually..."
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-20-2007, 09:31 PM Thread Starter
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Raven
You're probably getting plenty of monounsaturated fats, so the fish oil isn't priority. But if you do decide to clean it up and go low fat, supplementing EFAs would be a good idea. I personally just take glutamine, vitamin C, and a multivitamin. Looks like oyu're getting planty of calories, so I don't know what else would be advantagous to a powerlifter.
Next week im going to buy this stuff. So far my list is....

Multivitamin
Animal Pump (energy before workout)
Size On (post workout drink)
More Muscle Milk

07 Harley Truck S/C
08 G-37S
LockoutSupplements.com

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-20-2007, 09:31 PM
Oooooooh-whee

I take the same things Raven does. I've been dieting since August and followed some of his advice on what supps. to take combined with my diet and lifting\cardio program. I'm 5'10" and I started out at 210lbs. on Aug. 15th. and as of this morning, I'm at 173lbs. I've always taken a multi-vitamin and vitamin C. I just added protein, glutamine, and an Omega complex along with drastically changing my diet and lifestyle.

8/16/05
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-21-2007, 03:30 AM
Hired Hand

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyrone Biggums
I take the same things Raven does. I've been dieting since August and followed some of his advice on what supps. to take combined with my diet and lifting\cardio program. I'm 5'10" and I started out at 210lbs. on Aug. 15th. and as of this morning, I'm at 173lbs. I've always taken a multi-vitamin and vitamin C. I just added protein, glutamine, and an Omega complex along with drastically changing my diet and lifestyle.

Damn, you must get better shit than me. I was 193lbs in August, and now I'm 211lbs.

Raven 2006 Yamaha R6S

post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-21-2007, 10:41 AM
No Cerveza... No Trabajo

If you are going to supplement (beyond protein) the most important are the antioxidants. Vitamin C, Vitamin E and Omega-3 (fish oil).

Antioxidants are part of your defense system to keep cell damage caused by free radicals in check. 400-800 IU of E (d-alpha, not dL-alpha), 1 gram of C and 2-5 grams of fish oil (high in Omega 3 DHA/EPA.) I've read enough studies that say fish oil is better absorbed than flax seed oil.

The antioxidants bind to the free radicals (which is waste from exercise/exertion) and help remove the free radicals from the body.

You won't get any faster, stronger or get better endurance directly from antioxidants but your recovery will be quicker.

My 401K is now a 400K (was 301K)
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-21-2007, 11:01 AM
Oooooooh-whee

Quote:
Damn, you must get better shit than me. I was 193lbs in August, and now I'm 211lbs.
Probably not. I've been using the Dymatize stuff. I'm sure you're taller than I am, I know you've got much more muscle mass than I do and you are probably eating more calories than I am. I'm barely eating enough to sustain what I'm doing.

A typical Mon.- Fri. for me is

6am-Oatmeal, Special K, or english muffin
7:30- Protein shake(only 100 calories)
9:00- Light Yoplait
11:30- Turkey Breast on whole wheat
2:00- Peaches, Oranges, or Broccoli
4:30- Lowfat cottage cheese, sugar snap peas, graham crackers, or a granola bar.
5:30- Low glycemic energy bar
6:00- Lift or cardio
7:00- 1/2 of a high glycemic energy bar while cooking dinner
7:45- dinner
Protein shake with glutamine before bed.

I have to mix up the mid day "meals" to keep the gut guessing, but I think it probably figured me out long ago.

I'll probably do this for a couple more months until my I get my body fat where I want it, then I'll bump the calories and carbs a little to bulk up.

8/16/05
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-21-2007, 11:59 AM
No Cerveza... No Trabajo

Quote:
Probably not. I've been using the Dymatize stuff. I'm sure you're taller than I am, I know you've got much more muscle mass than I do and you are probably eating more calories than I am. I'm barely eating enough to sustain what I'm doing.

A typical Mon.- Fri. for me is

6am-Oatmeal, Special K, or english muffin
7:30- Protein shake(only 100 calories)
9:00- Light Yoplait
11:30- Turkey Breast on whole wheat
2:00- Peaches, Oranges, or Broccoli
4:30- Lowfat cottage cheese, sugar snap peas, graham crackers, or a granola bar.
5:30- Low glycemic energy bar
6:00- Lift or cardio
7:00- 1/2 of a high glycemic energy bar while cooking dinner
7:45- dinner
Protein shake with glutamine before bed.

I have to mix up the mid day "meals" to keep the gut guessing, but I think it probably figured me out long ago.

I'll probably do this for a couple more months until my I get my body fat where I want it, then I'll bump the calories and carbs a little to bulk up.
If possible take your glutamine right after your workout. Glutamine will helpyou recover by improving your glucose absorbtion rate. It will help your body absorb that hi-GI energy bar.

Good combo on the low-GI prior to workout and high-GI after workout. Most people don't go to that extent with their diets.

My 401K is now a 400K (was 301K)
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-21-2007, 01:34 PM
Hired Hand

Quote:

I'm 5'10" too, but I've also only had a single cheat day in the last month, and cut out all alcohol (cept one night out where I had a couple). I've got a simmilar meal shcedule, with the exception of about 500 calories post workout that a 50/50 protein and carb mix, and another serving of whole grain pasta about an hour after that. Something else that I forgot to mention is that my bodyfat is about the same as when I was in the mid 190's. Amazing what a clean diet and the proper supplementation can do for you.

As for the glutamine, I put it in both my shakes, but adding some post w/o isn't a bad idea either. As long as weightloss is your primary goal, keep on truckin' if what you're doing works.

Raven 2006 Yamaha R6S

post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-21-2007, 01:43 PM
Oooooooh-whee

Quote:
As long as weightloss is your primary goal, keep on truckin' if what you're doing works.
It is for now. It's not that I was just outright obese, but I was up to a 38" waist and had a disgusting gut. I felt like shit all time. I'm down to a 32 now, and my upper abs are coming through, but I could still stand to lose a couple of inches around my belly and love handle area. Until then, I'm going to stick with what I'm doing. Once I achieve that, it will be time to add some muscle mass to get the overall look I would like.

8/16/05
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-21-2007, 01:47 PM
Hired Hand

Quote:
It is for now. It's not that I was just outright obese, but I was up to a 38" waist and had a disgusting gut. I felt like shit all time. I'm down to a 32 now, and my upper abs are coming through, but I could still stand to lose a couple of inches around my belly and love handle area. Until then, I'm going to stick with what I'm doing. Once I achieve that, it will be time to add some muscle mass to get the overall look I would like.

You're doing better than me, I'm still sportin' a 33' inch waist at 10 or 11% bodyfat. I hate genetics. From my experience, the love handles are the very last to go. Just remember that when it's time to add mass, that's no reason to stray from the diet. You gotta stay just as healthy, just eat more of it.

Raven 2006 Yamaha R6S

post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-21-2007, 07:39 PM Thread Starter
Rookie

Quote:
You're doing better than me, I'm still sportin' a 33' inch waist at 10 or 11% bodyfat. I hate genetics. From my experience, the love handles are the very last to go. Just remember that when it's time to add mass, that's no reason to stray from the diet. You gotta stay just as healthy, just eat more of it.

I wear a 34" in pants but im sure my waist is about 30" Im sporting all 6 packs with no diet to speak of. Genetics i guess you call it but i workout hard than a bitch.

07 Harley Truck S/C
08 G-37S
LockoutSupplements.com
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-21-2007, 09:01 PM
Hired Hand

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRAYHORSE
I wear a 34" in pants but im sure my waist is about 30" Im sporting all 6 packs with no diet to speak of. Genetics i guess you call it but i workout hard than a bitch.

I'm not discounting your hard work, but from what I understand of your diet, it's the genetic gift of a higher metabolism that keeps you lean. The strongest man competitors do their share of sweating, but very few of them have abs.

Raven 2006 Yamaha R6S

Sponsored Links
Advertisement