cutting weight and losing endurance - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-08-2007, 08:16 PM Thread Starter
Dodging hurricanes

cutting weight and losing endurance

I have recently been dieting to lose weight. I am 5'8" and currently weigh 193 and want to get down to 170 or so. the problem is my cardio and strength have gone to crap. I take lipo 6, MHB trac no extreme, and 1 met rx protein shake.
My diet is oatmeal in the morning, 9am fruit snack, wheat turkey sandwich for lunch, then fruit snack around 2pm, dinner protein shake or chicken salad.

Should I add more carbs or protein ?

I lift weights and roll jiu jitsu for exercise. I am going to start running in the am too.My problem is I am feeling weaker and my cardio is hurting.

02 lightning
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-08-2007, 08:36 PM
WTF is Zed?

My guess would be you are consuming too few calories. You need to determine you total daily energy expenditure (TDEE) and subtract 500-1000 calories from that to lose weight. Check this site. http://www.healthrecipes.com/calories.htm

I would shoot for a diet that is 40% carbs, 40% protein, and 20% fat.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-08-2007, 09:24 PM
No Cerveza... No Trabajo

Dude, that isn't enough food for my 11 year old daughter! Eat!

Being generous I'd say you can't be taking in more than 1200-1300 calories a day (maybe 1500 calories)

That isn't enough to keep your body functions running!

My 401K is now a 400K (was 301K)

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-08-2007, 11:01 PM Thread Starter
Dodging hurricanes

Thanks guys I think I am going to add a protein shake with my snacks and some brown rice with my lunch and dinner. Maybe some egg whites with my oatmeal aswell.

02 lightning
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-09-2007, 10:12 AM
Lifer

yeah that sounds less than my psuedo 1500-1700 calorie diet.
Plus I weigh less , 172 , trying to get back to the 150's.
I run at best three times a week, and I am losing weight in the range of a 1-2 lbs a week.
I think they say a 1lb a week is the best approach (3500 calories = 1lb. i think)
that would be 500 lower than you daily expenditure
I think I calculated my daily expenditure to be about 2200 calories doing no exercise , desk job at about 170lbs body weight.

79 K5 blazer, 6" lift 38x15" tires d44/12b lockers and chromoly axles ,6.2L GM diesel - Waste Vegetable Oil conversion - cross over steering,14"SAW nitrogen shocks, beefed shackles, shackle flip, winch/ bumpers, diff covers.

94 CBR 600 naked, handbraked, -1 +3 sprockets, one wheel operation mod

"I'm sorry, nothing quite says, "F- You, I'm from Texas" like an all-business, stripped-down K5."
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-09-2007, 10:45 AM
Lifer

BTW yes I get hungry , and if I eat almost anything less than I do now , I lose the ability to practically recover from exercise. You will feel dead tired, if you don't eat enough. Probably even if you get enough sleep.
Remember you need to replace the energy you are burning.

79 K5 blazer, 6" lift 38x15" tires d44/12b lockers and chromoly axles ,6.2L GM diesel - Waste Vegetable Oil conversion - cross over steering,14"SAW nitrogen shocks, beefed shackles, shackle flip, winch/ bumpers, diff covers.

94 CBR 600 naked, handbraked, -1 +3 sprockets, one wheel operation mod

"I'm sorry, nothing quite says, "F- You, I'm from Texas" like an all-business, stripped-down K5."
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-09-2007, 12:01 PM

How can you tell how many calories you burn a day if you have a desk job? like 8hr shift?
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-09-2007, 12:37 PM
No Cerveza... No Trabajo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yamaroket
How can you tell how many calories you burn a day if you have a desk job? like 8hr shift?

http://preventdisease.com/healthtools/articles/bmr.html

Figure out your BMR and add a few hundred calories for office work. Their AMR calculation maybe a little off for some but it is pretty close to mine.

I work out heavy about 2 hours a day (swimming, biking, running or weights) most days and on the weekends about 3-4 hours (swimming, biking or running). They have me sitting at about 3500 calories a day during the week and 4000-4200 on the weekends. From experience those figures are close to what I've experienced over the years.

Alternatively, you can keep a detailed food diary for about a month and compare your weight gain or weight loss over the same period.

My 401K is now a 400K (was 301K)
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-09-2007, 12:46 PM
Worship me

I rode the bike for 15 minutes, lifted weights for 45 minutes, ran a hair under two miles, and then tore the stairmill up for 20 minutes this morning. 700 calories burned according to the little counters on the cardio machines.

All I have eaten is a cup of plain oatmeal and a chicken salad from Quizno's.

You guys are all pussies!

J/K but I did do all that shit I said.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-09-2007, 02:13 PM
Never settle always excel

I took a crap at lunch and the little red sign above the toilet said I disposed of 1200 calories
Sponsored Links
Advertisement