Plain cheerios a good sub for oatmeal? - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-03-2007, 02:25 PM Thread Starter
Lifer

Plain cheerios a good sub for oatmeal?

I read this article ( http://health.yahoo.com/better-in-20...-day-of-eating ) , and it says that Cheerios are a good substitute for Oatmeal. I HATE oatmeal with a passion...can't make myself gag it down. However, I thought I was told that Cheerios were not ideal as a breakfast (don't remember why, and can't figure out why they would be bad).

SO, opinions?

Any other cereals that would be as good or better than oatmeal for breakfast?

Thanks
SQ

Semper Paratus - Proudly serving in the USCG
----------------------------------------------------------
1991 LX Coupe 5.0 - Bimini on Black - Mostly stock Weekend driver
1985 LX Coupe 5.0 - Still in pieces
2008 Nissan Rogue SL AWD Premium - Wife's Ride
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-03-2007, 02:43 PM
Oooooooh-whee

Don't know about the O's, but I love oatmeal. I eat it all the time. As for cereal, we eat the Kroger version of Special K.

8/16/05
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-03-2007, 02:46 PM Thread Starter
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyrone Biggums
Don't know about the O's, but I love oatmeal. I eat it all the time. As for cereal, we eat the Kroger version of Special K.
I can't stand it...every kind I've had tastes like wet cardboard. The only kind I can keep down is the flavored kind with a ton of sugar (which defeats the purpose).

SQ

Semper Paratus - Proudly serving in the USCG
----------------------------------------------------------
1991 LX Coupe 5.0 - Bimini on Black - Mostly stock Weekend driver
1985 LX Coupe 5.0 - Still in pieces
2008 Nissan Rogue SL AWD Premium - Wife's Ride

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-03-2007, 03:02 PM
Oooooooh-whee

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShawnQ
I can't stand it...every kind I've had tastes like wet cardboard. The only kind I can keep down is the flavored kind with a ton of sugar (which defeats the purpose).

SQ
Yeah, oatmeal isn't for everyone. I'm sure you could google the nutritional facts for a serving of Quaker and a serving of Cheerios and compare. Also look through some other cereals and see what comes close to the oatmeal.

8/16/05
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-03-2007, 03:39 PM
No Cerveza... No Trabajo

Cheerios is comparable to Oatmeal. I don't use instant oatmeal but the Quaker Oats. But have Cheerios every now and then.

My 401K is now a 400K (was 301K)
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-03-2007, 08:11 PM
WTF is Zed?

I eat Fiber One instead of Oatmeal. Half the calories, half the fat, zero sugar and three times the fiber of Quaker raw oats. Right now I eat it plain, but when I'm bulking I'll have it with skim milk or mixed in with some yogurt. Tastes much better than oatmeal IMO.
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-03-2007, 08:35 PM
No Cerveza... No Trabajo

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4DRSS
I eat Fiber One instead of Oatmeal. Half the calories, half the fat, zero sugar and three times the fiber of Quaker raw oats. Right now I eat it plain, but when I'm bulking I'll have it with skim milk or mixed in with some yogurt. Tastes much better than oatmeal IMO.
14g of fiber, I'd be shitting 5 hours a day.

I eat oatmeal primarily because of the soluble fiber content (2.4 grams vs. 1.0 grams for Fiber One).

Fiber One has alot of Fiber but it is almost all insoluble fiber. (1 gram soluble, 13 grams insoluble)

Soluble fiber binds with fatty acids and prolongs emptying of the stomach so sugars are absorbed slower. It also lowers LDL cholesterol (the bad kind) reducing heart risk.

Insoluble fiber moves stuff through your intestines quicker so you reduce the risk of colon cancer. I get most of my insoluble through veggies, fruits and wheat bread.

post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-03-2007, 09:39 PM
Punk Ass Newbie

I cant stand the taste of plain oatmeal either. I usually buy the multi flavored box of oats at Kroger, then mix one of the packets with 1 cup of quick oats. Or I mix 1 tbsp of honey with the oats and that taste good as well. Honey is a good antioxident anyways........
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-03-2007, 11:50 PM
Founding Member

I add splenda and cinnamon.

93 Teal/Gray Cobra
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-04-2007, 01:54 AM
Hero in a half shell

Try the Kashi oatmeal, it tastes great and it doesn't have all the bad ingrediants in it like the oatmeals with the artificial flavorings and creams. As for Cheerios, I stick with Honey Nut Cheerios

post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-04-2007, 05:09 AM
Punk Ass Newbie

Never had the Kashi..may have to give them a whirl...
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-04-2007, 08:40 AM
Hero in a half shell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lloyd Xmas
Never had the Kashi..may have to give them a whirl...
You can also try mixing the oatmeal with a good cereal, I usually mix it with Honey Nut Cheerios, chocolate protein powder and sometimes natural peanut butter and jelly to add flavor.

post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-04-2007, 09:08 AM
No Cerveza... No Trabajo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fobra
Try the Kashi oatmeal, it tastes great and it doesn't have all the bad ingrediants in it like the oatmeals with the artificial flavorings and creams. As for Cheerios, I stick with Honey Nut Cheerios
Honey Nut Cheerios has about 10x the sugar as regular Cheerios.

post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-04-2007, 09:26 AM
Worship me

I eat tons of plain oatmeal. That's good eatin!
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-04-2007, 10:01 AM
Hero in a half shell

Quote:
Originally Posted by 01WhiteCobra
Honey Nut Cheerios has about 10x the sugar as regular Cheerios.
and...

post #16 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-04-2007, 10:20 AM
No Cerveza... No Trabajo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fobra
and...

haha.

When you are 43, you tend to watch things like this.

Basically my diet is 40% carbs (mostly complex carbs, down from 60%), 30% protein, 30% fat (5% saturated, 5% polyunsaturated, 90% monosaturated). I've eliminated the "whites" from my diet: white (refined) sugar, white flour, "white" shortening. I don't even eat birthday cake anymore.

It was tough eliminating sugars from my diet but I've finally adapted and have a more consistent energy throughout the day. It's very easy to reach for the sugar rush when you train like me (mostly endurance type training: running, biking, swimming, even my weight training is considered "endurance" as opposed to strength) so it was just as much a psychological habit as a training habit.

Even tougher was eliminating my daily beer in favor of a few beers on the weekend. haha.

Interestingly, if I eat something with added sugar now, it's too sweet for me. I find I crave things like grilled veggies now instead of a chocolate eclair.

post #17 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-04-2007, 01:37 PM
Hero in a half shell

Quote:
Originally Posted by 01WhiteCobra
haha.

When you are 43, you tend to watch things like this.

Basically my diet is 40% carbs (mostly complex carbs, down from 60%), 30% protein, 30% fat (5% saturated, 5% polyunsaturated, 90% monosaturated). I've eliminated the "whites" from my diet: white (refined) sugar, white flour, "white" shortening. I don't even eat birthday cake anymore.

It was tough eliminating sugars from my diet but I've finally adapted and have a more consistent energy throughout the day. It's very easy to reach for the sugar rush when you train like me (mostly endurance type training: running, biking, swimming, even my weight training is considered "endurance" as opposed to strength) so it was just as much a psychological habit as a training habit.

Even tougher was eliminating my daily beer in favor of a few beers on the weekend. haha.

Interestingly, if I eat something with added sugar now, it's too sweet for me. I find I crave things like grilled veggies now instead of a chocolate eclair.
Same here, I loved my fruit rollups and other refined carbs, so changing my diet and sticking to it was hard, now when I think about going back, I almost cringe at times. IMO, I don't think Honey Nut Cheerios is that bad given that it's whole grain and the last time I checked the ingredients, it doesn't have high fructose corn syrup, so that's why I figured it's not too bad of a cereal.

post #18 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-04-2007, 10:44 PM
Punk Ass Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordracing19
I add splenda and cinnamon.
x2
Sponsored Links
Advertisement