? 100% Whey Protein - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-27-2006, 06:33 PM Thread Starter
Lifer

? 100% Whey Protein

What do you guys know or think of GNC-100% WHEY PROTEIN? What is it good 4.
I got it as a gift so I'm going 2 start taking it. Thanks for any info.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-28-2006, 02:34 AM
Banned

Protein is an essential building block of muscles in the body. If you work out a lot, it's recommended that you take about 1 gram or more of protein per lbs (that you weigh) a day. IE: I weigh 180, so if I was a hardcore body builder, I would need at least 180 grams of protein a day. Just remember that protein feeds on calcium and other nutrients in your body so if you take in a lot of protein but neglect other essential vitamins, it could lead to bone problems.

If you don't work out at all, 65 grams per day is the recommended amount. If you work out recreationally, around 100 grams should be enough. This is what I was told by some big ass black dude at GNC.
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-28-2006, 11:18 AM
Punk Ass Newbie

I think 1 lb of protein per 1 lb of your body weight is essential for anybody. Many pro body builders and powerlifters will tell you that 1.5-2 lbs of protein per 1 lb of your body weight is the minimum. For Example, I weighed yesterday at 282, so on any given day I take 350-500 grams of protein a day, I average about 400 though. I do not drink 400 grams of protein in whey shakes, you gotta mix it up.......tuna, chicken whole grain foods, beef, etc...............

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-28-2006, 12:16 PM Thread Starter
Lifer

I do work out every day, so thanks 4 the info.

Last edited by 564826; 12-28-2006 at 03:04 PM.
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-28-2006, 01:59 PM
No Cerveza... No Trabajo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lloyd Xmas
I think 1 lb of protein per 1 lb of your body weight is essential for anybody. Many pro body builders and powerlifters will tell you that 1.5-2 lbs of protein per 1 lb of your body weight is the minimum. For Example, I weighed yesterday at 282, so on any given day I take 350-500 grams of protein a day, I average about 400 though. I do not drink 400 grams of protein in whey shakes, you gotta mix it up.......tuna, chicken whole grain foods, beef, etc...............
Hope you get a liver and kidney screen every now and then.

400 grams is an excessive amount for most anyone.

My 401K is now a 400K (was 301K)
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-28-2006, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 01WhiteCobra
Hope you get a liver and kidney screen every now and then.

400 grams is an excessive amount for most anyone.
Not hardcore body builders. My "bulking" diet is something like 1.5-1.75g of protein per pound, 1-2g of carbs per pound (it's one or the other i can't remember) and about 20 calories per pound. Plus 1.5 gallons of water a day (not including what I drink during working out).

It's probably a bit excessive, but it works and I usually keep a bunch of size when I go to cut.

*edit* I'm not a hardcore body builder but I'm big so yeah.
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-28-2006, 03:01 PM
Punk Ass Newbie

exactly...
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-28-2006, 03:07 PM
No Cerveza... No Trabajo

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSprayIt
Not hardcore body builders. My "bulking" diet is something like 1.5-1.75g of protein per pound, 1-2g of carbs per pound (it's one or the other i can't remember) and about 20 calories per pound. Plus 1.5 gallons of water a day (not including what I drink during working out).

It's probably a bit excessive, but it works and I usually keep a bunch of size when I go to cut.

*edit* I'm not a hardcore body builder but I'm big so yeah.

And you have scientific evidence for your "not for hardcore bodybuilders?" I'm sure you can point to a study or two.

I get my information from sources like the American Journal of Physiology.

But, do whatever you want, it's your kidneys and liver.

Beyond that excessive protein robs the body of calcium and plays a role in the degeneration of your joints.

post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-29-2006, 12:46 AM
Banned

I too was told that anything over 1.5g's per lbs is excessive. Also from the big scary black guy. I don't even see how someone would take in 400g's of protein a day without having like 5 or 6 protein shakes per day. If I get 150g's I'm more than happy.
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-29-2006, 10:48 AM
Time Served

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lloyd Xmas
1 lb. of protein per 1 lb. of body weight! Holy Shit!

I think you meant 1g of protein per 1lb. of body weight. This is the recomendation. More more than that and your going to pee the rest out. As far as information goes I have a guy that works for me that is a Cooper Institute Certified Trainer/Nutritionist, and those are the guidelines they were given.

Not sure if it's the bible truth, but it works great for him he is 42 and has had plenty of size and maintains a six pack, and has done so for the past five years.
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-30-2006, 11:35 AM
Punk Ass Newbie

you need to take 11/2 times your weight to grow at max potential. if you dought it check up on it at fitnessgeared.com
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-30-2006, 12:00 PM
Time Served

Quote:
Originally Posted by poopnut2
I too was told that anything over 1.5g's per lbs is excessive. Also from the big scary black guy. I don't even see how someone would take in 400g's of protein a day without having like 5 or 6 protein shakes per day. If I get 150g's I'm more than happy.
lol you should consume around 100g of protien in your diet... as stated above, milk, peanutbutter, eggs, chicken, steak, tuna all has alot of protien in it. you dont want ALL your protien coming from whey shakes b.c your body absorbs natural protien that comes from food better than chocolate flavored powder shit. yes the 1g per lb thing works but heres a good idea. eat a good diet and a shake with 30+g of protien before and a shake after your workout should be sufficient. if you workout for more than 1.5 hrs of actual lifting, drink another shake a few hours before you go to bed, just make sure its low cal.

to answer your question about the GNC protien, i dont like the taste... the vanilla tastes like those vanilla pwer bars and the chocolate tastes like ass hole... no one really know how easisly its absorbed cuz none of us are bio chemists... best advice i can give you about "good protien" is get what you like... as long as it is from a trusted or well known brand get w.e tastes better... they are all basically the same... im sure some ppl will not agree
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-30-2006, 12:12 PM
not exclude

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeedleSharp
lol you should consume around 100g of protien in your diet... as stated above, milk, peanutbutter, eggs, chicken, steak, tuna all has alot of protien in it. you dont want ALL your protien coming from whey shakes b.c your body absorbs natural protien that comes from food better than chocolate flavored powder shit. yes the 1g per lb thing works but heres a good idea. eat a good diet and a shake with 30+g of protien before and a shake after your workout should be sufficient. if you workout for more than 1.5 hrs of actual lifting, drink another shake a few hours before you go to bed, just make sure its low cal.

to answer your question about the GNC protien, i dont like the taste... the vanilla tastes like those vanilla pwer bars and the chocolate tastes like ass hole... no one really know how easisly its absorbed cuz none of us are bio chemists... best advice i can give you about "good protien" is get what you like... as long as it is from a trusted or well known brand get w.e tastes better... they are all basically the same... im sure some ppl will not agree
You don't actually absorb protein, you absorb amino acids after the protein is broken down. About 95% of animal AAs we are capable of absorbing, about 85% of plant (what most all powders use). So if you are using plant food as your source of protein, you will actually better utilize the powder(e.g. whey shake > peanut butter g for g of protein).

In terms of actual amount of protein being digested, that is going to depend on body mass, fiber intake, and sodium intake.
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-30-2006, 06:07 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeedleSharp

Yes, because the scientists for the FDA know absolutely nothing.
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-30-2006, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by poopnut2
Yes, because the scientists for the FDA know absolutely nothing.
Yeah, fuck those FDA bitches.

The GNC protein doesn't taste that bad, and the proteins are pretty complex, as a gift or for the money its pretty good stuff.
post #16 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-31-2006, 07:46 AM
No Cerveza... No Trabajo

Quote:
Originally Posted by 11.50fox
you need to take 11/2 times your weight to grow at max potential. if you dought it check up on it at fitnessgeared.com
LMAO. Yea, I read it on the internet, it must be true!

post #17 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-02-2007, 03:30 PM

Sams wholesale has some pretty good stuff and cheap too.

Good luck!
post #18 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-05-2007, 12:36 AM

I love Walmart..lol...2 lb buckets of EAS 100% Whey protein for like $13

Work out days :
I drink a shake when I wake up
one during the day
One before I work out
and one after I work out

Off days:
One when I wake up
one during the day
one at night