Personal trainer worth it? - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 34 (permalink) Old 12-20-2006, 09:08 PM Thread Starter
Time Served

Personal trainer worth it?

I got the pitch from a personal trainer at the gym.

It boils down to $25 per hour.

What is your opinion of having a personal trainer?

I'm doing well, I've gained about 2 lbs of muscle mass per month over the last 6 months and kept the BF% low.

Will a personal trainer help me with additional muscle mass gains over what I'm already gaining?
And is it worth the $25 per hour?

Jay Johnson
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 34 (permalink) Old 12-20-2006, 09:15 PM
Baller

Steroids are cheaper and more effective.
post #3 of 34 (permalink) Old 12-20-2006, 09:33 PM
No Cerveza... No Trabajo

Sounds like you are doing well, Jay.

I'd say continue what you are doing, read up on what you have questions about, and just get it done.

I tend to shy away from any trainers just because I think I know my body and its limits better than some trainer.

Now, I do spend some time doing things like lactate threshold tests, VO2max tests, body compositions, etc. every year. I take the data, take some advice from trusted people (for free) and modify my training around it.

I'm more of an endurance freak than a strength/body look person which is why my tests are centered around capacity more than looks or bench press.

My 401K is now a 400K (was 301K)

post #4 of 34 (permalink) Old 12-20-2006, 10:08 PM

for 25 an hour why not try it for a few times and find out?

where is it 25 an hour at?
post #5 of 34 (permalink) Old 12-20-2006, 10:23 PM
Lifer

If you require motivation then I would say yes. Otherwise no. All the information can be found for less, plus good trainers are hard to find.

2001 Mustang Bullitt GT #5111 367.6rwhp/378.4rwtq
2004 Black Lightning #789 STOCK: 363.1rwhp/444.8rwtq
post #6 of 34 (permalink) Old 12-20-2006, 11:49 PM
Time Served

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruffdaddy
Steroids are cheaper and more effective.
wow... what a fukin idiot... yes they are more effective but cheaper? the cheap shit is Soooooooooo bad for you because the levels are most likely not even accurate or consistent. if you think you are taking 100 you could be taking 150 and thats alota difference... steriods are a baddddddd idea period. the long term effects can be greatly reduced if you know what your doing, but very few do. the morrons like this guy that just fill a needle and shoot it up are gonna have a left nut in 3 years...

as stated above, trainers are as good as you allow them to be. I have had trainers that are total morrons and told me stuff that i new was wrong or improper form and there have been some guys that have tought me alot of things. the main use for a trainer, as said, is motivation. if you are gaining 2lbs of muscle a month then you dont need any motivation. but for $25 hell, try it out man. i am personally too stubborn to have some skinny dude tell me how much weight to lift and how to do it. i know my body and i know what to do to make it better. to get started or even every once in a while, its a good idea to have someone correct your form or get a few new lifts in you work out.

BTW, you are taking protien shakes right? if not, you need to... also, if you want size you may want to take some creatine... great suplement for getting size and decent increases in strength as well.
post #7 of 34 (permalink) Old 12-21-2006, 12:01 AM
Foxaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeedleSharp

BTW, you are taking protien shakes right? if not, you need to... also, if you want size you may want to take some creatine... great suplement for getting size and decent increases in strength as well.
If you are going to give advice, please make sure it is sound.

How much protein is this guy taking in? In what form? How much does he need? You can not give an accurate number on any of these because you don't know the person or his diet/training style or goals. Do you know what creatine REALLY does? Might want to read up a little.

It is advice like this that keeps the really good trainers in business. And yes, I did it for a long time. Just got tired of the back to back sessions with no breaks. I am not trying to bash you, but it aggrevates me when people get on here and give advice like this. A good trainer with an education in biomechanics and a solid foundation in core strengthening can be very useful. Some of them are actually well educated in nutrition as well. Find the right one as if you are doing a job interview with them. Find out who they are, what qualifications they have and what their strengths are. If you are going to learn the basics on your own, then read up from a good source (not a magazine) or ask questions from people who know the science behind the results. It is information that can lead to a lifetime of gains and absence of training injuries.

Better yet, spend some money and take the biomechanics or nutrition class from the Cooper Institute. You will be surprised how much you can learn. It will change your entire approach to lifting/eating and give you results that most chase their entire lives.

<---- Off soapbox now.
post #8 of 34 (permalink) Old 12-21-2006, 12:15 AM
Lifer

It's working 4 my wife and she loves it. 25$ an hr is not that bad, Good luck by the way.
post #9 of 34 (permalink) Old 12-21-2006, 12:19 AM
Time Served

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad89stang
If you are going to give advice, please make sure it is sound.

How much protein is this guy taking in? In what form? How much does he need? You can not give an accurate number on any of these because you don't know the person or his diet/training style or goals. Do you know what creatine REALLY does? Might want to read up a little.
umm ok buddy thanks but i didnt know you wanted me to write a fricken article over the damn thing. and no i did not say anything about what to take and how much to take because he DID fail to say anything about himself. it was a simple comment so screw off dude. i ASSUMED that he wanted muscle mass because of his comment about gaining 2 lbs of muscle mass every month. as far as creatine, maybe you should figure out how to use the shit. if used in moderation and used correctly creatine can be very useful. creatine super hydrates your muscles and improves protein synthesis. THAT IS IT try to say any other crap i honestly dont care because i am tired of ignorant people that sit here and say that its so bad for u and shit.

as far as a trainer goes... i DID say they can be very useful... i just have failed to have any good luck with them. since he gave us little information i had to assume a few things from the few things he posted. i did not tell him to go out and buy a big jar of creatine and protien and take a scoop a day... just simply telling him they are things he should look into...

Quote:
A good trainer with an education in biomechanics and a solid foundation in core strengthening can be very useful.
im sure they would be... i'll make sure to give you a holler when i find one...
post #10 of 34 (permalink) Old 12-21-2006, 12:29 AM
Foxaholic

Calm down there Mr. Coleman. Just pointing out that your advice was not exactly the greatest. It's people like you that know everything and shut out the facts that annoy me.

Most important thing for people who are trying to learn is to give them good info. Telling him to go out and buy protein supplements is just wrong. Sure, some people may actually need to supplement their protein if they can not get it from food, but it is a case by case situation.

BTW, you still have no clue what creatine really does. You can ignore it all you want and run your mouth or you can read up or **gasp** ask someone who knows. It is a great supplement, but at least learn what it is useful for. It sure as hell isn't a "mass builder".

HINT: ATP
post #11 of 34 (permalink) Old 12-21-2006, 12:56 AM
Time Served

Quote:
Calm down there Mr. Coleman. Just pointing out that your advice was not exactly the greatest. It's people like you that know everything and shut out the facts that annoy me.

Most important thing for people who are trying to learn is to give them good info. Telling him to go out and buy protein supplements is just wrong. Sure, some people may actually need to supplement their protein if they can not get it from food, but it is a case by case situation.

BTW, you still have no clue what creatine really does. You can ignore it all you want and run your mouth or you can read up or **gasp** ask someone who knows. It is a great supplement, but at least learn what it is useful for. It sure as hell isn't a "mass builder".

HINT: ATP
not that i really need to sit here and prove that i know what the hell it does, i do understand that creatine increases maximum power output... it hydrates your muscles to allow them to expert more force making them work harder. the water helps recovery as well and the water is stored in the muscles making them bigger. ultimatly the muscles get more water... wow didnt i say that earlier?

i think i've come to figure out that "i annoy you" and really i dont give a rats ass and i just said that i DID NOT say for him to go buy protien... and WOW you know what i am thinking? you know what i know? thats crazy how u can tell what i know and dont know through the internet!!

i didnt want to sit here and bore the guy... i was telling him the overall RESULT of creatine. everyone that i know that has taken the crap has gotten bigger... alot bigger... including myself. i dont know the fricken molecular science of WHY it did it but for you to sit here and tell me that creatine did not make me or my friends and a ton of other people bigger makes no sense. maybe it was not DIRECTLY the creatine that got into my muscles and pumped them up, the energy that the creatine gives you alows you to lift more and the water helps you recover...
post #12 of 34 (permalink) Old 12-21-2006, 01:04 AM
Foxaholic

Never said it didn't "make you bigger". Read my post.

Yes, creatine can cause water retention (has nothing to do with muscle mass). Still has nothing to do with it's usefulness with workouts. If you weren't so defensive you could take 5 minutes and read why it can be useful.

And yes, you did tell him to take protein supplements. Read your first post. Anyways, good luck with your workouts.

BTW, this is the only quote I was referring to, read it how you want, but it seems pretty straight forward to me.

"BTW, you are taking protien shakes right? if not, you need to... also, if you want size you may want to take some creatine... great suplement for getting size and decent increases in strength as well."
post #13 of 34 (permalink) Old 12-21-2006, 02:03 AM

"suplement" hahahahah
post #14 of 34 (permalink) Old 12-21-2006, 05:09 AM
Punk Ass Newbie

Ive never used a trainer..I started out by using info I received in high school. For the past 4 years I did all my learning on the internet and watching the bigger guys in the gym. Worked out great.....
post #15 of 34 (permalink) Old 12-21-2006, 09:48 AM
¯\(º_o)/¯

Depending on the kind of trainer it could be beneficial. They are not there for just motivation, if they know 2 shits about what they are teaching, they should be able to offer help from excerise regime, proper form, nutritional information and much more that you may or may not already know. You're making good progress, however it never hurts to hear someone else's insights on how to improve if they are knowledgeable in what they are saying. Reading a bunch of websites can confuse anyone, getting advice from someone that has hands on is usually much better than any google search. I would try it out a few times to see if its worth it to you or not.

post #16 of 34 (permalink) Old 12-21-2006, 11:23 AM
Hired Hand

For someone just beginning to learn about their body and fitness, a "good" trainer can be beneficial, and is well worth $25 an hour. I've seen too many out of shape trainers though, and just like I wouldn't trust a doctor that smokes, I'm not gonna have some fatass tell me about what they learned in Kinesiology 101.

Raven 2006 Yamaha R6S

"If it has horsepower or tits you're gonna have trouble with it eventually..."
post #17 of 34 (permalink) Old 12-21-2006, 11:45 AM
Baller

Quote:
wow... what a fukin idiot... yes they are more effective but cheaper? the cheap shit is Soooooooooo bad for you because the levels are most likely not even accurate or consistent. if you think you are taking 100 you could be taking 150 and thats alota difference... steriods are a baddddddd idea period. the long term effects can be greatly reduced if you know what your doing, but very few do. the morrons like this guy that just fill a needle and shoot it up are gonna have a left nut in 3 years...

as stated above, trainers are as good as you allow them to be. I have had trainers that are total morrons and told me stuff that i new was wrong or improper form and there have been some guys that have tought me alot of things. the main use for a trainer, as said, is motivation. if you are gaining 2lbs of muscle a month then you dont need any motivation. but for $25 hell, try it out man. i am personally too stubborn to have some skinny dude tell me how much weight to lift and how to do it. i know my body and i know what to do to make it better. to get started or even every once in a while, its a good idea to have someone correct your form or get a few new lifts in you work out.

Damn chill the fuck out. It was sarcasm you little bitch. Looks like somebodies bitter over loosing a nut or 2? And i can tell you know nothing about steroids obviously haha.

If well regulated and used properly, steroids aren't bad at all. Do some research before you go bitching like woman.

Oh but thanks for the great advice...MUST TAKE PROTEIN SHAKES!!!
post #18 of 34 (permalink) Old 12-21-2006, 03:43 PM
The Decent Guy

Location: staying away from the tall woman with the adams apple.
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Raven
For someone just beginning to learn about their body and fitness, a "good" trainer can be beneficial, and is well worth $25 an hour. I've seen too many out of shape trainers though, and just like I wouldn't trust a doctor that smokes, I'm not gonna have some fatass tell me about what they learned in Kinesiology 101.
my trainer competes in body building and powerlifting and he only charges me 50 a week
post #19 of 34 (permalink) Old 12-21-2006, 08:53 PM
Time Served

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruffdaddy
Damn chill the fuck out. It was sarcasm you little bitch. Looks like somebodies bitter over loosing a nut or 2? And i can tell you know nothing about steroids obviously haha.

If well regulated and used properly, steroids aren't bad at all. Do some research before you go bitching like woman.

Oh but thanks for the great advice...MUST TAKE PROTEIN SHAKES!!!
arent bad at all? bit of an understatment... and i have done research a few years back when i was considering it because of dumb ass's like you telling me that it ISNT bad if used properly. and i found out its fukin stupid. it might not be as bad if used correctly but i am not gon let someone be mis dirrected to go to fukin steriods. and i dont remember ever saying "MUST TAKE PROTEIN SHAKES!!!" if u wanna bitch about my advice, give some constructive and non sarcastic advice of your own. telling some guy thats asking for help to take steriods weather joking or not is fukin stupid
post #20 of 34 (permalink) Old 12-21-2006, 09:02 PM
Baller

Quote:
arent bad at all? bit of an understatment... and i have done research a few years back when i was considering it because of dumb ass's like you telling me that it ISNT bad if used properly. and i found out its fukin stupid. it might not be as bad if used correctly but i am not gon let someone be mis dirrected to go to fukin steriods. and i dont remember ever saying "MUST TAKE PROTEIN SHAKES!!!" if u wanna bitch about my advice, give some constructive and non sarcastic advice of your own. telling some guy thats asking for help to take steriods weather joking or not is fukin stupid
Please re-type that so I know what the fuck is actually going on.
post #21 of 34 (permalink) Old 12-21-2006, 09:16 PM Thread Starter
Time Served

I just found out it's not $25 per hour it's $25 per 1/2 hour(on a 12 month plan).
I also got the hard-sell tonight trying to get me into a program. I passed on it.

Anyway, I am currently 5'11'', 182 lbs, exercise about 4 times a week, and do
cardio 25 minutes 2-3 times a week.

I get 1 protein shake a day, 2 full meals, and 3 half meals.

My lower body is significantly stronger than my upper body.
My goals for 2007 are to start concentrating more on the upper body, and spend
less time in the gym but with additional intensity.

I really enjoy working out and working on muscle gain. If I start to plateau, I'll then
consider a trainer, or even just getting a workout buddy.

Jay Johnson
post #22 of 34 (permalink) Old 12-21-2006, 09:24 PM
Baller

La fittness?

where do you work out (city)?
post #23 of 34 (permalink) Old 12-21-2006, 10:43 PM Thread Starter
Time Served

Currently I work out at the LA Fitness at Spring Creek and I-75 in Plano. But I will
sometimes go to the one off George Bush, also in Plano. Then once or twice a
month I go to the McKinney branch off I-75.

I like to change up with the scenery a little.

Jay Johnson
post #24 of 34 (permalink) Old 12-21-2006, 11:21 PM
Do Work Son!!!!!

i wouldnt pay a trainer....just be very observant to others in the gym that know what they are doing......ask them....you can always make buddys this way and its free.....That is just my 2cents

Just another day in paradise.
post #25 of 34 (permalink) Old 12-23-2006, 08:47 AM
Punk Ass Newbie

I wouldnt pay for a trainer because most of them do not know what they are talking about. Talk to some guys around your gym that look like you want to and ask them a few questions. Different things work for different people, so take their advice and try it out.

With me one of the easiest way for me to gain mass is by eating a lot, and right. No fast food, just a lot of calories from good food. I take Designer Protein and Mass Factor, both good and cheap. I never thought cycling would work, but it does. Eat, work your arse off, change up workouts, and once again eat right.
post #26 of 34 (permalink) Old 12-25-2006, 01:53 PM
Insane In The Membrane

$25 a half hour is cheap.
post #27 of 34 (permalink) Old 12-25-2006, 06:01 PM
not exclude

Quote:
creatine super hydrates your muscles and improves protein synthesis. THAT IS IT try to say any other crap i honestly dont care because i am tired of ignorant people that sit here and say that its so bad for u and shit.
Lol, you forgot the most important thing that creatine is used for: short term energy and possibly a lactic acid buffed. So no, that's not it. There are certain "types" of creatine that may be bad for you. In an effort to make creatine more readily absorbed into the body, a few different "delivery" methods have been designed. Some may be damaging to the kidneys, liver or carcinogenic.

Lol @ the ignorant people part.
post #28 of 34 (permalink) Old 12-25-2006, 06:27 PM
Still #1 ASSHOLE

Quote:
Originally Posted by 96Cobra_Nate
$25 a half hour is cheap.

Yeah no shit I was thinking the same thing.....

R.I.P.
Kori Leigh Fillingham
11-20-01

Always loved
&
Never Forgotten
post #29 of 34 (permalink) Old 12-26-2006, 12:24 AM
Time Served

Quote:
Originally Posted by exlude
Lol, you forgot the most important thing that creatine is used for: short term energy and possibly a lactic acid buffed. So no, that's not it. There are certain "types" of creatine that may be bad for you. In an effort to make creatine more readily absorbed into the body, a few different "delivery" methods have been designed. Some may be damaging to the kidneys, liver or carcinogenic.

Lol @ the ignorant people part.
delivery??? LOL!! like as in a surenge(sp)? no fricken way...
post #30 of 34 (permalink) Old 12-26-2006, 02:04 PM
not exclude

Quote:
No, delivery as in uptake into your cells. You do not just consume creatine orally and it magically ends up in your muscles...there is a bit more of a process to it. Read up on creatine and you will find that different structures have different absorbtion rates (e.g. monohydrate does not absorb as efficiently as citrate).
post #31 of 34 (permalink) Old 12-26-2006, 08:15 PM
Still #1 ASSHOLE

Quote:

BAWHAHAHAHA...... I hope you are just trying to crack a joke.....

Quote:
No, delivery as in uptake into your cells. You do not just consume creatine orally and it magically ends up in your muscles...there is a bit more of a process to it. Read up on creatine and you will find that different structures have different absorbtion rates (e.g. monohydrate does not absorb as efficiently as citrate).
Damn Dan I wouldn't have figured you for supplement knowledge at all.....

R.I.P.
Kori Leigh Fillingham
11-20-01

Always loved
&
Never Forgotten
post #32 of 34 (permalink) Old 12-28-2006, 02:28 AM
Time Served

Quote:
Originally Posted by 564826
It's working 4 my wife and she loves it. 25$ an hr is not that bad, Good luck by the way.
I hope she has a lady for a trainer!

http://www.fastmustangs.com/RaysGallery.html
post #33 of 34 (permalink) Old 12-28-2006, 12:05 PM
not exclude

Quote:
Originally Posted by injectedpony
Damn Dan I wouldn't have figured you for supplement knowledge at all.....
I did a lot of research on this crap last year when I was figuring if I should use it for rowing.
post #34 of 34 (permalink) Old 12-28-2006, 12:07 PM
Still #1 ASSHOLE

Quote:
I did a lot of research on this crap last year when I was figuring if I should use it for rowing.

Don't you mean sailing........

R.I.P.
Kori Leigh Fillingham
11-20-01

Always loved
&
Never Forgotten
Sponsored Links
Advertisement