Aspertame??? - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-11-2006, 09:12 PM Thread Starter
Banned

Aspertame???

I've cut out most of the sugar out of my diet, and have been drinking diet cokes here and there, not to mention flavored water, and diet tea. Well, all of these things have aspertame in them and my family is trying to tell me that aspertame is really bad for you. I wikipedia'd it and it says it's only bad for you if you have some disease where your body can not break it down. Also, some places claim it causes tumors and shit, but I haven't seen any "proof" of that.

What are ya'lls opinions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-11-2006, 09:14 PM
Sticky Side Down

i have done tons of research and have seen arguments on both sides but no proof. i saw a doctor on the today show say that its perfectly safe. my sister did a research paper in college and her report came to the conclusion that its bad.

Who knows. I drink diet coke like it's going out of style and I am will continue until someone proves it otherwise.
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-12-2006, 07:07 AM
Out

I've heard the same both ways too. I switched to Diet Coke with Splenda. It tastes better and no aspertame.

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-12-2006, 07:11 AM
Beer Swillin' Redneck

The biggest issue with aspertame, is that it breaks down into formaldehyde.

HOWEVER, the studies I have seen show that you would have to consume a quantity equal to 200 diet soda's a day for several years to develop any kind of syndrome from exposure.

"I have taken more out of alcohol than it has taken out of me."

"If not, by age 20, you are a liberal, then you have no heart. If not, by age 30, you are a conservative, then you have no brain.
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-12-2006, 07:14 AM
Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by MouseKiller
The biggest issue with aspertame, is that it breaks down into formaldehyde.

HOWEVER, the studies I have seen show that you would have to consume a quantity equal to 200 diet soda's a day for several years to develop any kind of syndrome from exposure.
I'm pretty close, then
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-12-2006, 07:51 AM
mannish boy

I was a diet coke junkie while I was on the road w/ Siemens, and then even more-so w/ my new job... I was killing 3-5 20oz bottles a day. and don't fuck up and give me free refills of the shit! LOL!

anyhow, one day about a month ago, I cracked one open and took a chug, and it tasted like plastic to me... I took it as a sign my body was trying to tell me something. I haven't had one since *shrug*
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-12-2006, 11:43 AM
Worship me

I drink one diet Coke a day on most days. I think you really have to drink the hell out of them for it to matter.
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-12-2006, 12:43 PM
ebay pimp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooter
I was a diet coke junkie while I was on the road w/ Siemens, and then even more-so w/ my new job... I was killing 3-5 20oz bottles a day. and don't fuck up and give me free refills of the shit! LOL!

anyhow, one day about a month ago, I cracked one open and took a chug, and it tasted like plastic to me... I took it as a sign my body was trying to tell me something. I haven't had one since *shrug*
Same here, after pounding down 4-6 cans of Diet Coke a day for a year or two, I started to get NASTY headaches. So for several months I drank zero, now I have about 1 every other day, and no proplems. BTW, I drink lots of other Aspertame sweetened drinks, but only DC ever bothered me.

Scott
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-12-2006, 02:24 PM
Lifer

I wouldn't worry about it. Most of the studies that showed it cause problems, thats all the specimens got. NO normal person is going to consume that much. Coke zero gives me the shit for some reason though.

02-z28
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-12-2006, 03:28 PM
No Cerveza... No Trabajo

I was a 6+ can of diet coke drinker since it first came out. I finally broke the habit a couple of months ago. First I switched to coffee then onto tea with the ultimate goal of dropping my 300mg a day caffeine habit. I'm down to about 60mg a day now.

I did notice my joints are alot better these days. But I think that would be the same with any soft drink I consumed in the qty I did.

As far as Aspartame... of all the food additive complaints by the FDA, Aspartame counts for 80% of the volume. Whatever that means.

My 401K is now a 400K (was 301K)
post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-12-2006, 08:56 PM
Rookie

so why are we cutting down on the suger, again?

87 LX Hatch -- Project 302 [email protected] -- 4 Sale
89 4 eye coupe (Grayhorse)
07 Harley Truck S/C
08 G-37S
LockoutSupplements.com
post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-13-2006, 12:59 AM Thread Starter
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRAYHORSE
It's never a bad thing.
post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-13-2006, 04:50 PM
ebay pimp

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRAYHORSE
1.Sugar can make you fat.
2. Sugar wreaks havoc with your glycemic index.
3. you get plenty of sugar WITHOUT sugary drinks.

Scott
post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-16-2006, 10:47 AM
Time Served

I have a great memory and I use it at my job everyday to memorize subnets, ip's, schema's, etc.

One day after being a fiend of diet drinks (none in particular) I notice I'm having issues with my memory. I can't remember the things that use to come to me easily. So, I did some research and this was one of the major side affects of Aspartame. So, I switched to ice water and all is good.
post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-18-2006, 05:31 AM

I have a major dr pepper problem. I will suck down a 12 pack in a few hours if I have them around... same with mountain dew. i drink that shit like water.

I just stopped buying it when I go to the store. I don't even go down the "snacks" and "bottled drinks" isle anymore, there's nothing down there I could even remotely be interested in.

But oh how I miss drinking a gallon of MD or DP a day.
post #16 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-20-2006, 11:56 PM
Time Served

Quote:
Originally Posted by HaMMuH
I have a great memory and I use it at my job everyday to memorize subnets, ip's, schema's, etc.

One day after being a fiend of diet drinks (none in particular) I notice I'm having issues with my memory. I can't remember the things that use to come to me easily. So, I did some research and this was one of the major side affects of Aspartame. So, I switched to ice water and all is good.
i had throat cancer... i noticed i was drinking DC alot... so i stopped and drank water... my throat cancer went away!

i got a good idea for you guys: one REGULAR coke a week! jeeze, drink water and gatoraid and juice! your body needs actual fluids not fizzy crappy water filled with tons of sugar, caffine, and shit i cant even pronounce.
Drinking diet coke cuz ur worried about the effects of sugar on your body is fricken anal as hell. its like settling for cocain to stop your acid addiction... coke is bad for you period. it doesnt matter if its the same crap that used to be in them 40 years ago or some new sweetener they came out with yesterday...
post #17 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-21-2006, 12:02 AM
Time Served

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSprayIt
I have a major dr pepper problem. I will suck down a 12 pack in a few hours if I have them around... same with mountain dew. i drink that shit like water.

I just stopped buying it when I go to the store. I don't even go down the "snacks" and "bottled drinks" isle anymore, there's nothing down there I could even remotely be interested in.

But oh how I miss drinking a gallon of MD or DP a day.
haha amen to that man. i used to get fricken headaches from when my middle school coach made me stop... i only allow my self once a week at most. seems to be working well
post #18 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-21-2006, 12:11 AM
Lifer

I remember listening to a doctor on the radio saying 10% of the make up of aspertame was methonal, he said something to the fact would you drink anything with paint thinner in it? That it puts holes in your brain and causes all those headaches some of the people before me said they where having, and causes mild addiction to it and if you notice a lot of people who drink diet drinks go through a liter a day.
post #19 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-21-2006, 12:23 AM
NOT the Oldest Fart HERE

aspertame gives me a 3 day headache

that aspirin won't touch. It's not like any other headache I ever had. I first noticed it when I used those melt wafer mouth fresheners. I would buy a pack and the headaches would start the next day. Drink a couple of diet drinks, same thing. I avoid that stuff now , it's in everything, lo cal yogurt, jello, gum, lots of stuff.
scroll down this site aspertame , the list of people writeing about is a mile long it seems
post #20 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-24-2006, 01:24 AM
Time Served

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeedleSharp
i had throat cancer... i noticed i was drinking DC alot... so i stopped and drank water... my throat cancer went away!

i got a good idea for you guys: one REGULAR coke a week! jeeze, drink water and gatoraid and juice! your body needs actual fluids not fizzy crappy water filled with tons of sugar, caffine, and shit i cant even pronounce.
Drinking diet coke cuz ur worried about the effects of sugar on your body is fricken anal as hell. its like settling for cocain to stop your acid addiction... coke is bad for you period. it doesnt matter if its the same crap that used to be in them 40 years ago or some new sweetener they came out with yesterday...
Jesus my IQ just dropped reading that! What are they teaching in high school these days.
post #21 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-27-2006, 11:00 AM

Cokes

When you were in school didn't they ask you to do experiments with a coke and a steak? Or haven't I seen guys pouring coke over their battery to clean cables??? Hello I agree with the guy that say stick to juices...gatorade etc...My dentist says it's also bad for your teeth.....Stick to water And exercise....
Sorry I read this and had to comment....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement