People at the gym I can't stand - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 163 (permalink) Old 11-13-2006, 07:33 PM Thread Starter
Sports weenie @ full attn

People at the gym I can't stand

I know this has been done before, but I need to put in my $.02.

-Guys using the bench/squat bars for curls. Yeah dude, you can curl 75lbs and I'm impressed, but I promise the straight or EZ bar will get you just as big. Fucking use it so some of us can use the bars as they were intended.

-People that fill up their gallon jugs of water at the fountain. There's nothing better after a good set than a 5 minute break while some dumbass prepares for Y2k.

Rant off.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 163 (permalink) Old 11-13-2006, 10:08 PM

hahaha. the water is a big one. i always fill up the nalgene downstairs, so i dont have to keep people waiting.

the one that gets me the most is when the 40+ year old males on the free motion equipment that load up the machine, then gets 2-3 reps then slam the weight down. after a good 2-3 reps, they sit there for 5 minutes 'resting' because they just had a tough set.
post #3 of 163 (permalink) Old 11-13-2006, 10:12 PM
Lifer

Is it a problem is I sing Streisand's hits when I lift?

post #4 of 163 (permalink) Old 11-13-2006, 10:15 PM
Do Work Son!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cammin4V
hahaha. the water is a big one. i always fill up the nalgene downstairs, so i dont have to keep people waiting.

the one that gets me the most is when the 40+ year old males on the free motion equipment that load up the machine, then gets 2-3 reps then slam the weight down. after a good 2-3 reps, they sit there for 5 minutes 'resting' because they just had a tough set.
the old guys are always funny to watch in the gym...one time i was doing bench did sets like 135,185,225,275,315 got to 5 reps...anyways this old guy kept looking at me on and off so i noticed him trying to keep up with me and at 275 i went 8 and he couldnt even do 1 he got the bar stuck on his chest and it was so funny to me...end of story

Just another day in paradise.
post #5 of 163 (permalink) Old 11-14-2006, 02:12 AM
Lifer

Huge guys with their IPOD in ther ears singing like Aaron Neville loud enough for the entire gym to hear

Fat women who go to the gym to socialize around the Elipticals and get no work done.

People who sweat excessively and don't wipe that shit down afterwards.

Women who work out with full face of makeup and hair done.

Men who walk around with their arms almost at a 90* angle to their body. You're not fooling anyone, shrimp.

People who perform odd, very gay stretching rotines in front of the mirror.

Old men who wear super short shorts like they have no grasp on reality
post #6 of 163 (permalink) Old 11-14-2006, 08:46 AM
Ja Ja Ja Ja JEW UNIT!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZYouL8R

-Guys using the bench/squat bars for curls. Yeah dude, you can curl 75lbs and I'm impressed, but I promise the straight or EZ bar will get you just as big. Fucking use it so some of us can use the bars as they were intended.

Rant off.
when i do straight bar curls. i use the squat rack.. why? because i have seen some people SQUAT less then i curl.. its kinda a vicious circle.. i hate the little shrimps benching 200lbs who make me wait for my bench press.. but you dont hear me bitching about it.

D.
Pain, is weakness leaving the body.
post #7 of 163 (permalink) Old 11-14-2006, 08:49 AM
iHustle

I hate when people complain about shit at the gym..just go workout how you want, and do your thang! Atleast they are there working out and not on the couch.

Chris

Chris
93Z
post #8 of 163 (permalink) Old 11-14-2006, 08:51 AM
Lifer

I hate people that just leave the dumbells laying on the floor after they have thrown them to the ground.

I also hate people that leave the bar/machine racked up.

I hate it when people unrack the bar but just leave all the weights on the floor leaning against the rack.

In essence, I hate it when people don't rerack. If you can't rack it, don't lift it.

2001 Mustang Bullitt GT #5111 367.6rwhp/378.4rwtq
2004 Black Lightning #789 STOCK: 363.1rwhp/444.8rwtq
post #9 of 163 (permalink) Old 11-14-2006, 08:52 AM
Worship me

I love the people who work with trainers that either whine at the slightest discomfort or act like they know more than the trainer does. Most of them are flabbies.
post #10 of 163 (permalink) Old 11-14-2006, 08:56 AM
Ja Ja Ja Ja JEW UNIT!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AL P
I love the people who work with trainers that either whine at the slightest discomfort or act like they know more than the trainer does. Most of them are flabbies.
ever noticed how 90% of people with personal trainers look the same after 3 years of personal training?

D.
post #11 of 163 (permalink) Old 11-14-2006, 08:58 AM
Worship me

Quote:
Originally Posted by White_lightning
ever noticed how 90% of people with personal trainers look the same after 3 years of personal training?
Yea. Ever notice how the trainers aren't really in good shape? LOL

"Do this curl while eating this donut..."
post #12 of 163 (permalink) Old 11-14-2006, 09:13 AM
BP
Keep your unicorns

I can't stand people that put a 20 pound plate on and do 100 reps. I'm thinking the aerobics classes would probably work better for you in that case.

Also not a big fan of people using the bench press machine and taking turns with 350-400 pounds. If you've got a spotter use the free weights, it's not as cool saying you put up 250 pounds instead of 400 but atleast it's more accurate.

The worst by far are the people that put that halls crap or whatever it is in the steam outlet in the steam room. I don't want to smell that crap.

Buell 1125R
Raptor 700R
No fast cars though
post #13 of 163 (permalink) Old 11-14-2006, 09:16 AM
Ja Ja Ja Ja JEW UNIT!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AL P
Yea. Ever notice how the trainers aren't really in good shape? LOL

"Do this curl while eating this donut..."
this 6'7" 180lbs trainer came up to me the other day and started bsing with me.. like i was going to ask him for training time.. lol.. its like look dude.. when you can bench more then 40lbs.. come talk to me about moving weight.. and being anorexic DOESNT count as " being lean".

D.
post #14 of 163 (permalink) Old 11-14-2006, 09:51 AM

that and people hovering on the machine and not using it

cant stand them
post #15 of 163 (permalink) Old 11-14-2006, 10:00 AM
iHustle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Giant Douche
that and people hovering on the machine and not using it

cant stand them
Ask them to move

Chris
93Z
post #16 of 163 (permalink) Old 11-14-2006, 10:06 AM

I do, and then they have the nerve to act like they are put out when theyre hoggin the equipment...
If im not using something, or not about to do another set ill get off it in case someone else wants to use it, just common courtesy
post #17 of 163 (permalink) Old 11-14-2006, 10:11 AM
iHustle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Giant Douche
I do, and then they have the nerve to act like they are put out when theyre hoggin the equipment...
If im not using something, or not about to do another set ill get off it in case someone else wants to use it, just common courtesy

Thats when you throw a UFC elbow into their face and say "WHAT!!"

Chris
93Z
post #18 of 163 (permalink) Old 11-14-2006, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cmarsh93z
Thats when you throw a UFC elbow into their face and say "WHAT!!"
lol, or walk by them and fart in their in their face as their trying to throw up some weight...
post #19 of 163 (permalink) Old 11-14-2006, 10:21 AM
iHustle

Chris
93Z
post #20 of 163 (permalink) Old 11-14-2006, 10:26 AM
Gone but never forgotten

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThreeFingerPete
Is it a problem is I sing Streisand's hits when I lift?

only if you're wearing a dress

The only thing I hate is when people try to make coversation during a workout.... I just wanna scream... "I"m here to workout mother fucker, not talk to your dumbass!"

"It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men." ~ Frederick Douglass
post #21 of 163 (permalink) Old 11-14-2006, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cmarsh93z
lol!
post #22 of 163 (permalink) Old 11-14-2006, 11:25 AM
Hired Hand

Quote:
-People that fill up their gallon jugs of water at the fountain. There's nothing better after a good set than a 5 minute break while some dumbass prepares for Y2k.
That's one of my biggest pet peeves. They need to have a "filling station" in one corner of the gym that has a regualr fountain, and then next to it a faucet for filling jugs like that. Like the ones they use in homes with purifiers.

Raven 2006 Yamaha R6S

"If it has horsepower or tits you're gonna have trouble with it eventually..."
post #23 of 163 (permalink) Old 11-14-2006, 11:30 AM
The Fastest of the Fast

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Raven
That's one of my biggest pet peeves. They need to have a "filling station" in one corner of the gym that has a regualr fountain, and then next to it a faucet for filling jugs like that. Like the ones they use in homes with purifiers.
They do at the 24hr I workout at. And I fill that bitch to the top

Chris
post #24 of 163 (permalink) Old 11-14-2006, 12:13 PM
Lifer

I hate the guys that grunt non stop. For no apparent reason. If you sound like that your doing to much weight.

The idiots that ware the 70's workout cloths.

But the toper on my list is guys in there that have used way to many sterirods over the years and have never worked there legs at all.

02-z28
post #25 of 163 (permalink) Old 11-14-2006, 12:54 PM
Fear the Stashe

hahaha, one of the workers at ballys is always eating a fattning meal at the front desk where everyone scans there cards to get in..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badass2000gt View Post
See this is all you got. You're just a little bitch. I'll be in lewisville tonight if you want to meet up and see if you would like to talk shit to me. But I know I know your a pussy and won't show and I'm trying to e-thug but you're the one continues to try to insult me. So if you want to be a real man and back this shit up I'll be at the lewisville bowling center off of main st tonight at 6. Not far at all from highland village. Just for you I'll be wearing a Texas shirt.
post #26 of 163 (permalink) Old 11-14-2006, 06:09 PM Thread Starter
Sports weenie @ full attn

Quote:
when i do straight bar curls. i use the squat rack.. why? because i have seen some people SQUAT less then i curl.. its kinda a vicious circle.. i hate the little shrimps benching 200lbs who make me wait for my bench press.. but you dont hear me bitching about it.
It's one thing if you need the squat rack due to the amount of weight you need, but I see dudes curling 70lbs on the squat rack when there's a 70lb straight bar 10 yards away.

post #27 of 163 (permalink) Old 11-14-2006, 06:25 PM
Baller

I hate the fuckers that put way too much weight on and cant control it or go full range of motion.
post #28 of 163 (permalink) Old 11-14-2006, 06:30 PM

Oh the trainers, the trainers are great.

I had this one guy bug me for 5 months to do an evaluation or whatever they are called, "reprogram" I think.

The guy wanted me to put 2" on my arms in a month I just said, okay yeah bro I'll get on that and I ignore his ass whenever he calls me.

Dude is 5'8" 155 (so he claims, I think he's about 130) and was trying to give me tips to "get big" when my arms are 4-5" bigger than his. He also tried to change my leg workout when my fucking thighs are 28.5" unflexed. Yeah buddy.

Then we started talking about fighting and he was telling me he was a cage fighter blah blah blah and my buddy that works the front desk told him he should fight me for money. At that point I just said I was out and left. Most of those idiots just have no idea.

The thing is though, they go through a 3 day training course and think they are the shit when really they usually have no idea what the are doing.
post #29 of 163 (permalink) Old 11-14-2006, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSprayIt
Oh the trainers, the trainers are great.

I had this one guy bug me for 5 months to do an evaluation or whatever they are called, "reprogram" I think.

The guy wanted me to put 2" on my arms in a month I just said, okay yeah bro I'll get on that and I ignore his ass whenever he calls me.

Dude is 5'8" 155 (so he claims, I think he's about 130) and was trying to give me tips to "get big" when my arms are 4-5" bigger than his. He also tried to change my leg workout when my fucking thighs are 28.5" unflexed. Yeah buddy.

Then we started talking about fighting and he was telling me he was a cage fighter blah blah blah and my buddy that works the front desk told him he should fight me for money. At that point I just said I was out and left. Most of those idiots just have no idea.

The thing is though, they go through a 3 day training course and think they are the shit when really they usually have no idea what the are doing.
At most places that is not the case. Where i work, most trainers have multiple certifications, multiple years of training, and some have a bachelors in some sort of exercise science. Trainers go through a 2 week training, and are required to have at least one certification before they can start training.

Congratulations, your legs are 28.5" unflexed. So you work out and eat right...Not everyone can have the genetics or dedication you do. That is why they need a trainer to get them the extra motivation, and show them what they need to do.

I am not saying every single trainer should be training, I am just saying that some of them do know what they are talking about and can be very positive influences.
post #30 of 163 (permalink) Old 11-14-2006, 08:49 PM
Baller

Yeah SSprayit does seem to be a bit full of it. He was trying to talk like 130lb DBs were light the other day. I may be wrong but im calling BS. If he's never been in a gym with a trainer thats in shape...i doubt he's in as good of shape as he claims. But i would love to be wrong in this case.
post #31 of 163 (permalink) Old 11-14-2006, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruffdaddy
Yeah SSprayit does seem to be a bit full of it. He was trying to talk like 130lb DBs were light the other day. I may be wrong but im calling BS. If he's never been in a gym with a trainer thats in shape...i doubt he's in as good of shape as he claims. But i would love to be wrong in this case.
Everyone can have a trainer. T.O, Jordan, D Wade....the old lady down the street that wants to get in shape, the single mom, the 100lb overweight person that doesnt want a lapband.

I just think its funny that he is acting so superior, and as it seems, i guess that is a common thing from him.
post #32 of 163 (permalink) Old 11-14-2006, 09:34 PM

Quote:
Ever heard of reading comprehension? I NEVER said 130lb dumbells were light, I said that's LIGHT to have as the biggest dumbell in a gym. If it was a high school gym, yeah that's one thing but for a gym that ANYONE can go to, I know little skinny dudes that can shrug 130s so it'd be nice to have something bigger for those who can use it.

You can call BS all you want, I have nothing to prove to anyone but myself, and I'm doing pretty good for myself IMO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cammin4v
At most places that is not the case. Where i work, most trainers have multiple certifications, multiple years of training, and some have a bachelors in some sort of exercise science. Trainers go through a 2 week training, and are required to have at least one certification before they can start training.

Congratulations, your legs are 28.5" unflexed. So you work out and eat right...Not everyone can have the genetics or dedication you do. That is why they need a trainer to get them the extra motivation, and show them what they need to do.

I am not saying every single trainer should be training, I am just saying that some of them do know what they are talking about and can be very positive influences.
I have no problems with the guys that are serious about fitness and want to see people do better. I DO however have problems with people that are just trying to make money off of other people's physical misfortunes. Not everyone knows how to work out correctly, not everyone knows how to be motivated to do things on their own so they turn to trainers who SOMETIMES don't know much more than the people they are training. I understand offering tips and shit to other people, I do it all the time to people that are bigger AND smaller than me, I love helping people out, but I will ALWAYS tell someone that it's something that works for me, and might not work for them. What I DON'T get is why someone who is obviously not gaining much from their own advice trying to tell someone who has been working out for years and is of good size what to do - not offering advice or saying "hey try this and see how this works" but to straight up tell someone "that shit doesn't work, do this or you won't get bigger" when it's plainly obvious it has been working for years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cammin4v
Everyone can have a trainer. T.O, Jordan, D Wade....the old lady down the street that wants to get in shape, the single mom, the 100lb overweight person that doesnt want a lapband.

I just think its funny that he is acting so superior, and as it seems, i guess that is a common thing from him.
I don't like being worked out by a trainer. I'm much more comfortable working out with someone that is way bigger and way stronger than me, as long as they are working out too. I couldn't sit there and let someone tell me what to do unless they're doing it to. If I'm acting smug I appologize, I don't come off well on the internet, but I assure you I do have good intentions however poorly portrayed.

I'm always the first person to walk up to someone I don't know and offer a spot or ask someone working out by themselves if they want to work in with me if I notice they are doing the same workout. I just don't like being told what to do, or telling people what to do. Sorry if that bothers anyone.
post #33 of 163 (permalink) Old 11-15-2006, 03:27 AM
Banned

Quote:
There's nothing better after a good set than a 5 minute break while some dumbass prepares for Y2k.
I just gotta give you props. I don't think that could've been worded any funnier!

I basically hate when anyone else is at the gym besides me.
post #34 of 163 (permalink) Old 11-15-2006, 08:29 AM
Ja Ja Ja Ja JEW UNIT!!

Quote:
depends on the movement.. for incline dumbell press. 130s are light

D.
post #35 of 163 (permalink) Old 11-15-2006, 10:34 AM
Hired Hand

Quote:
It seems to me that there are alot of trainers out there with all of this supposed knowlege, but they don't apply it to their own lifestyles or bodys. It's like seeing an oncologist standing outside the hospital on a smoke break.

Raven 2006 Yamaha R6S

post #36 of 163 (permalink) Old 11-15-2006, 10:37 AM
I voted for McCain!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ls1eater

the old guys are always funny to watch in the gym...one time i was doing bench did sets like 135,185,225,275,315 got to 5 reps...anyways this old guy kept looking at me on and off so i noticed him trying to keep up with me and at 275 i went 8 and he couldnt even do 1 he got the bar stuck on his chest and it was so funny to me...end of story
Tuff Guy

post #37 of 163 (permalink) Old 11-15-2006, 10:49 AM
Lifer

Quote:

Rant off.

What's wrong with using a bench bar for curls? Most gyms don't have 150-200# curl bars. What about the people using the bench and only putting 1 plate on each side? If that's a big problem with you buy your own gym.

I would rather live my life as if there is a God, and die to find out there isn't, than live my life as if there isn't, and die to find out there is.
post #38 of 163 (permalink) Old 11-15-2006, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Raven
It seems to me that there are alot of trainers out there with all of this supposed knowlege, but they don't apply it to their own lifestyles or bodys. It's like seeing an oncologist standing outside the hospital on a smoke break.
You would be suprised how much you see that.
post #39 of 163 (permalink) Old 11-15-2006, 07:10 PM
Baller

Whitelightning...you are excluded from the plot...haha.
post #40 of 163 (permalink) Old 11-15-2006, 07:44 PM
DFWMUSTANGS.NET

I get sick of people asking us why we are doing whatever exercise we are doing. Granted we do a lot of "weird" shit, but anything that is not benching with a flat back or preacher curls seems to blow all the frat boys' minds.
post #41 of 163 (permalink) Old 11-15-2006, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shorty
I get sick of people asking us why we are doing whatever exercise we are doing. Granted we do a lot of "weird" shit, but anything that is not benching with a flat back or preacher curls seems to blow all the frat boys' minds.
I am never really up there anymore, but if you are in the group of guys that i am thinking of....you really do some weird shit. why do you do all that?

bustin' out 2x4's and shit.
post #42 of 163 (permalink) Old 11-15-2006, 10:29 PM
Ja Ja Ja Ja JEW UNIT!!

Quote:
Whitelightning...you are excluded from the plot...haha.

D.
post #43 of 163 (permalink) Old 11-16-2006, 12:04 AM
DFWMUSTANGS.NET

Quote:
I am never really up there anymore, but if you are in the group of guys that i am thinking of....you really do some weird shit. why do you do all that?

bustin' out 2x4's and shit.
haha yeah that's us. It's all pretty standard powerlifting stuff, but I agree a lot of it looks goofy as hell. the boards are for overloading the upper end of bench. Gotta really work the lockout when you bench in a shirt.
post #44 of 163 (permalink) Old 11-16-2006, 12:24 AM
Baller

damn i never did any carzy shit like that in powerlifting. Lockout was always the easiest with a shirt. But i do remember morning glories and deadlifting from an elevated box.
post #45 of 163 (permalink) Old 11-16-2006, 12:34 AM
Ja Ja Ja Ja JEW UNIT!!

how much are you guys benching off a board? what are your raw numbers?

D.
post #46 of 163 (permalink) Old 11-16-2006, 12:48 AM
DFWMUSTANGS.NET

Quote:
how much are you guys benching off a board? what are your raw numbers?
for the record I'm weak . Last raw bench number was 215, that was back in September I believe coming off a three month break. I'll work up to 300ish off a 4 board, pressing off pins I can do 365 for 10 and 405 for 6. In a borrowed shirt that's a size too big I hit 285 easy off a 2 board a couple weeks ago. I'm still pretty new to wearing shirts though. Hopefully I'll hit low-mid 3's in my first comp in april. Currently tipping the scales at a beastly 178
post #47 of 163 (permalink) Old 11-16-2006, 08:40 AM
Ja Ja Ja Ja JEW UNIT!!

Quote:
for the record I'm weak . Last raw bench number was 215, that was back in September I believe coming off a three month break. I'll work up to 300ish off a 4 board, pressing off pins I can do 365 for 10 and 405 for 6. In a borrowed shirt that's a size too big I hit 285 easy off a 2 board a couple weeks ago. I'm still pretty new to wearing shirts though. Hopefully I'll hit low-mid 3's in my first comp in april. Currently tipping the scales at a beastly 178
intereseting...
my chest training is very cut and dry.. Flat bench.. incline dumbell.. X overs and chest press machine...i wonder what i could move if i started doing PL training.

D.
post #48 of 163 (permalink) Old 11-16-2006, 08:51 AM
Lifer

Quote:

WOW, I have NO idea what you just said.

George
post #49 of 163 (permalink) Old 11-16-2006, 10:42 AM
Hired Hand

Quote:
Originally Posted by George G.
WOW, I have NO idea what you just said.
From what I understand, he said that I could probably bench 500lbs in the right shirt.

Raven 2006 Yamaha R6S

post #50 of 163 (permalink) Old 11-16-2006, 12:01 PM
Ja Ja Ja Ja JEW UNIT!!

Want to borrow my jew unit shirt?

D.

Last edited by White_lightning; 11-16-2006 at 12:13 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement