Powerlifting and Cardio?? - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 49 (permalink) Old 11-05-2006, 07:23 PM Thread Starter
Rookie

Powerlifting and Cardio??

Im lifting heavy for a competition coming up next year but i like to stay fit with my cardio also....

My first Competition ever will be July 15 at the Fire Fighter Olympics.

If im doing Cardio almost everyday will this hurt my strength gains that much? Can you gain power and strength while doing cardio too?

87 LX Hatch -- Project 302 [email protected] -- 4 Sale
89 4 eye coupe (Grayhorse)
07 Harley Truck S/C
08 G-37S
LockoutSupplements.com

Last edited by GRAYHORSE; 07-02-2007 at 03:57 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 49 (permalink) Old 11-05-2006, 09:58 PM

Cardio can't hurt your lifting. You'll just lose some body fat. As long as you keep lifting you will do well.
post #3 of 49 (permalink) Old 11-05-2006, 11:34 PM
Baller

as long as it cardio and not sprints you're good.

post #4 of 49 (permalink) Old 11-06-2006, 07:59 AM
Lifer

Just make sure that it is low-intensity cardio and that it is done after lifting, not before.

2001 Mustang Bullitt GT #5111 367.6rwhp/378.4rwtq
2004 Black Lightning #789 STOCK: 363.1rwhp/444.8rwtq
post #5 of 49 (permalink) Old 11-06-2006, 08:13 AM
Do Work Son!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5111
Just make sure that it is low-intensity cardio and that it is done after lifting, not before.
X2 dont kill yourself before working out....good luck at your comp.

Just another day in paradise.
post #6 of 49 (permalink) Old 11-06-2006, 09:33 AM
Baller

What kinda workout are you doing for this competition?
post #7 of 49 (permalink) Old 11-06-2006, 10:48 AM
The Decent Guy

Location: staying away from the tall woman with the adams apple.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GRAYHORSE
Im lifting heavy for a competition coming up next year but i like to stay fit with my cardio also....

My first Competition ever will be July 07 at the Fire Fighter Olympics.

If im doing Cardio almost everyday will this hurt my strength gains that much? Can you gain power and strength while doing cardio too?
hey if you want to compete in others let me know, I have done a few, so far 3 for 3 all 1st place
post #8 of 49 (permalink) Old 11-06-2006, 11:12 AM
DFWMUSTANGS.NET

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cartman
hey if you want to compete in others let me know, I have done a few, so far 3 for 3 all 1st place
what fed do you lift in?
post #9 of 49 (permalink) Old 11-06-2006, 12:02 PM
Lifer

Quote:
Why not? That's what I do, if I am doing something wrong please let me know! I will take all the info I can to help he get better results. Thanks for any info.
post #10 of 49 (permalink) Old 11-06-2006, 12:24 PM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 564826
Why not? That's what I do, if I am doing something wrong please let me know! I will take all the info I can to help he get better results. Thanks for any info.
If you do the cardio first then you burn out all your immediate energy supplies and then do not have the energy to push heavy enough weights for an effective muscular workout.

post #11 of 49 (permalink) Old 11-06-2006, 01:04 PM Thread Starter
Rookie

The workouts i've been doing are just lifting heavy. I dont follow one in general. I usally lift two muscle groups a day.
I lift around 1pm and do cardio around 6pm.

Cartman, i dont think im ready yet. I dont even have any gear like a belt, or a shirt, knee wraps yet. I hear that im going to need some practice if im using a shirt.

I could use some help with dead lift and squats though. I havent gone all out on either of those yet casue im just learning them.

Right now my bench is 280
Squat around 300
Deadlift around 300.
Weight around 175.

oh, i just got a membership at LA fitness if anyone works out there. I'll be at the one in Mckinney....

07 Harley Truck S/C
08 G-37S
LockoutSupplements.com
post #12 of 49 (permalink) Old 11-06-2006, 02:27 PM
Baller

Try doing a pyramid.

Doing sprints also works the muscles a different way and slows strength increases. If you're constantly running your ass off your legs won't have time to heal. Just do low intensity cardio.

As far as a workout goes...try a pyramid. Thats a very effective workout. You deffinately need to get some gear. Try the House of Pain. Its also very helpful to do some pause presses because thats how its gonna be at a meet (assuming its judged correctly).
post #13 of 49 (permalink) Old 11-06-2006, 03:53 PM
DFWMUSTANGS.NET

If you're interested in getting a shirt before the meet I can give you the phone number of a Titan rep in Dallas who can get you fitted (he sells everything else as well, wraps, suits, etc). I met him this weekend at the apf meet in Plano, and both my workout partners and some other friends have gone through him.
post #14 of 49 (permalink) Old 11-06-2006, 04:24 PM Thread Starter
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruffdaddy
Try doing a pyramid.

Doing sprints also works the muscles a different way and slows strength increases. If you're constantly running your ass off your legs won't have time to heal. Just do low intensity cardio.

As far as a workout goes...try a pyramid. Thats a very effective workout. You deffinately need to get some gear. Try the House of Pain. Its also very helpful to do some pause presses because thats how its gonna be at a meet (assuming its judged correctly).

Well, i have to run at least 3 miles at work every 3rd day. Im doing a kickboxing class at my gym also. Will punching bags hurt my lifting?
I just wanna stay in excellent cardio condition for when i get those big fires. They wear you out fast.
The meets are judged with 3 judges. It is a sanctioned (sp?) event.

Shorty, im not ready for the gear yet. Im short on cash right now.

07 Harley Truck S/C
08 G-37S
LockoutSupplements.com
post #15 of 49 (permalink) Old 11-06-2006, 05:59 PM
The Decent Guy

Location: staying away from the tall woman with the adams apple.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shorty
what fed do you lift in?
insaa and wabdl I think that is it I am at work I will have to check it at home.
post #16 of 49 (permalink) Old 11-06-2006, 08:35 PM
DFWMUSTANGS.NET

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cartman
insaa and wabdl I think that is it I am at work I will have to check it at home.
cool just wondering. I know some apf lifters and some collegiate usapl guys.
post #17 of 49 (permalink) Old 11-07-2006, 12:24 AM
Baller

Yeah....but some sanctioned judges suck. heh. Ive been to meets where they're too strict and some where they could care less. And for a technical lifter...I always prefered the strict judges.

IF you have to run for work that should always come first...just dont run everyday. And make sure you're timing your leg workouts correctly to give yourself enough time to heal.

And again...for the punching bags...it really depends on the intensity and length of the workout.
post #18 of 49 (permalink) Old 12-09-2006, 04:00 PM Thread Starter
Rookie

Just a little update...

Weight 180lbs
Bench 315
squat 345
deadlift 425

Im over 1000 now but my weight keeps creaping up as i get stronger. I have to stay near 181lbs.
Still pounding on my weak legs.

07 Harley Truck S/C
08 G-37S
LockoutSupplements.com

Last edited by GRAYHORSE; 12-09-2006 at 08:36 PM.
post #19 of 49 (permalink) Old 12-09-2006, 04:17 PM
Worship me

If you are trying for the 181 lb. class then try to train at 183-185 or so. Then when it comes time for weigh in (usually the night before), drop weight that day, go weigh yourself then eat a lot that night and the next morning to get your weight back up. Optimally, you should be lifting at 185 or so by the time you step on the platform. If the weigh in is the morning of the meet you will have to adjust this accordingly but remember that you are at your lightest when you wake up in the morning so feel free to be above the 181 mark.

I know from your other threads that your body fat is low, like 10%. It would be better if you had a little more flab on you. If you are too lean you aren't going to be able to push the weight like you should. It is no coincidence that a lot of powerlifters are fat asses.
post #20 of 49 (permalink) Old 12-09-2006, 05:19 PM
DFWMUSTANGS.NET

as your technique gets better your squat will catch up to your dead. Al P's advice is solid. I'm planning on competing at 181 in April and will probably be about 190-195 before I cut weight. Here's a good article about cutting weight if you have overnight weigh ins. http://www.elitefts.com/documents/cutting_weight.htm
post #21 of 49 (permalink) Old 12-10-2006, 07:58 AM

I'm a retired powerlifting coach

Quote:
The workouts i've been doing are just lifting heavy. I dont follow one in general. I usally lift two muscle groups a day.
I lift around 1pm and do cardio around 6pm.

Cartman, i dont think im ready yet. I dont even have any gear like a belt, or a shirt, knee wraps yet. I hear that im going to need some practice if im using a shirt.

I could use some help with dead lift and squats though. I havent gone all out on either of those yet casue im just learning them.

Right now my bench is 280
Squat around 300
Deadlift around 300.
Weight around 175.

oh, i just got a membership at LA fitness if anyone works out there. I'll be at the one in Mckinney....
I have a workout that has sent 5-6 high school athletes to the state meet.
I have even had some "middle school" kids busting 220 on the bench.
If you are interested send me a pm and I'll send you the work out regimen.
post #22 of 49 (permalink) Old 12-10-2006, 03:48 PM Thread Starter
Rookie

Thanks guys, yes my b.f. is right around 9-10%. I've cut down on as much cardio as i can. I only run 3 miles once a week now.
The plan is to get up to around 188lbs. If i start going over that i'll have to controll my diet a little.

Rocdoc- yeah, i'll take any help you have to offer if you wanna pm me a routine.

Off to the gym to kill my legs....

07 Harley Truck S/C
08 G-37S
LockoutSupplements.com
post #23 of 49 (permalink) Old 12-10-2006, 05:20 PM
CJD
Time Served

Yeah,Cardio won't ever hurt strength gains. I do atleast an hour of cardio 5 days a week(sometimes more),and it hasn't hurt my strength gains at all. I think where cardio can potentially hurt you are exercises where you benefit from weighing the most since cardio decreases your body fat(what those exercises are,I don't know).
post #24 of 49 (permalink) Old 12-11-2006, 12:24 PM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJD
Yeah,Cardio won't ever hurt strength gains. I do atleast an hour of cardio 5 days a week(sometimes more),and it hasn't hurt my strength gains at all. I think where cardio can potentially hurt you are exercises where you benefit from weighing the most since cardio decreases your body fat(what those exercises are,I don't know).
Not true. Cardio can easily hurt your strength gains if it is not done correctly. For example, cardio before lifting burns up all the easy access energy in the body. Then when you get ready to lift you don't have the fuel to lift heavy enough weights to maximize strength gains. Also, too much cardio can cause the body to burn muscle for fuel which will obviously impede strength gains.

If you do low intensity cardio either separate from or after lifting and not for too long then it should have minimal affects your strength gains.

post #25 of 49 (permalink) Old 12-11-2006, 12:56 PM
Ja Ja Ja Ja JEW UNIT!!

Quote:
Not true. Cardio can easily hurt your strength gains if it is not done correctly. For example, cardio before lifting burns up all the easy access energy in the body. Then when you get ready to lift you don't have the fuel to lift heavy enough weights to maximize strength gains. Also, too much cardio can cause the body to burn muscle for fuel which will obviously impede strength gains.

If you do low intensity cardio either separate from or after lifting and not for too long then it should have minimal affects your strength gains.
agreed 100%

D.
Pain, is weakness leaving the body.
post #26 of 49 (permalink) Old 12-11-2006, 01:28 PM
CJD
Time Served

Quote:

Cardio is a good way of getting the blood circulating throughout the body,and that can HELP you do more. I do an hour of cardio 5,and then when I finish I go downstairs and lift. I don't notice a difference at all except that on days when I do cardio,I'm more energetic and on days when I don't,I feel run down.
post #27 of 49 (permalink) Old 12-11-2006, 01:51 PM
Ja Ja Ja Ja JEW UNIT!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJD
Cardio is a good way of getting the blood circulating throughout the body,and that can HELP you do more. I do an hour of cardio 5,and then when I finish I go downstairs and lift. I don't notice a difference at all except that on days when I do cardio,I'm more energetic and on days when I don't,I feel run down.

either you are doing super light carido. or you arent lifting enough weight for it to be putting a strain on your body.

D.
Pain, is weakness leaving the body.
post #28 of 49 (permalink) Old 12-11-2006, 02:06 PM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJD
This is definitely not an effective way to gain mass and strength. One compromise would be to do cardio early in the morning and then lift weights in the evening. When I did that I always felt better, but it also allowed my body to replenish the energy stores before lifting.

Think of it this way, have you ever gone to the gym and tried to do sets of 25 with a really light weight? You find after a while that although you have the strength to easily lift the weight you can't. You have the strength, but not the energy. That is exactly what happens when you do cardio first. To see effective strength gains you might need to be lifting 300lbs, but you only have the energy to lift 250. Therefore you will not grow as much as with 300lbs lifts.

Of course simple warmups are very different from cardio. Many people do 10 minutes on a stationary bike to warm up before lifting.

post #29 of 49 (permalink) Old 12-13-2006, 04:37 PM
CJD
Time Served

Quote:
Originally Posted by White_lightning
either you are doing super light carido. or you arent lifting enough weight for it to be putting a strain on your body.
Not doing anywhere near light cardio....oh yes,when I work out,I go all out. I'm usually sore the next day.
post #30 of 49 (permalink) Old 12-13-2006, 04:47 PM
No Cerveza... No Trabajo

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJD
Not doing anywhere near light cardio....oh yes,when I work out,I go all out. I'm usually sore the next day.
You are burning up your glycogen stores in the muscles and your body will switch to burning fat for energy (not very efficient). After 20 minutes of cardio (real cardio, 80% maximum heart rate) you've already used up 1/5 of your glycogen stores. Your body will still use glycogen but will also rely on fat for energy (very inefficient)

During a weight training session you will only use the glycogen that is stored in your muscles.

Alternatively, if you weight train first, use up the glycogen stores and then do aerobic level intensity (not cardio level intensity) your body will have to adjust to using stored fat as energy thus burning more fat.

The fuel for your muscles during weight training is different from the potential fuel sources during aerobic/cardiovascular exercise.

My 401K is now a 400K (was 301K)
post #31 of 49 (permalink) Old 12-13-2006, 05:16 PM
Worship me

As someone who has done it both ways, I will tell you that you are better off lifting first if you want to increase mass. Or lifting after if you want to drop weight.

If I run first I can lift just as much but I sure do run out of gas quick when lifting. I have to take a little longer between sets if I want to get all the reps in and it pretty much sucks. It takes some time getting used to this workout too. You can't just run 3 miles and go squat 300 lbs. on the first day. That takes a while. I don't necessarily lose any size or strength but you are just spinning your wheels when it comes to mass. You can drop weight easily though since your heart rate is pretty high during lifting. I am hungry as hell all day if I do this.

If I run after I lift it feels OK, I can run just as far but it does seem just a little harder at the end when you start to get into that second half of a 2.5 to 3 mile run. I don't seem as exhausted when I do this. My lifting is a lot better though and my heart rate is much lower.
post #32 of 49 (permalink) Old 02-05-2007, 09:20 PM Thread Starter
Rookie

Another Update...

Progress has slowed but it's still creaping up.

Weight--193lbs
Bench-- 325lbs no shirt
Squat-- 355lbs WEAK!
Deadlift--455lbs
BF-- 10%

Most of the weight i've gained is in my legs. They're getting much bigger finally.
I need the most help with my squats though. I dont even know if im going down far enough. In pics i see guys with their ass almost on the floor. I feel that im level but i dont know if level to the floor is good enough. My body wont let me go down any further. haha

07 Harley Truck S/C
08 G-37S
LockoutSupplements.com
post #33 of 49 (permalink) Old 02-05-2007, 10:15 PM
DFWMUSTANGS.NET

Quote:
Another Update...

Progress has slowed but it's still creaping up.

Weight--193lbs
Bench-- 325lbs no shirt
Squat-- 355lbs WEAK!
Deadlift--455lbs
BF-- 10%

Most of the weight i've gained is in my legs. They're getting much bigger finally.
I need the most help with my squats though. I dont even know if im going down far enough. In pics i see guys with their ass almost on the floor. I feel that im level but i dont know if level to the floor is good enough. My body wont let me go down any further. haha
Go 198 class

that's a damn fine bench and dead for a "beginner." Your squat is going to take a while because it's the most technical (unless you start benching in a shirt) but it's obvious you've got the strength, the numbers will come.

As far as squat depth, a lot of that depends on what federation you're lifting in. USAPL and IPF squat low, while apf and others are "parallel." Figure out where your depth is, and then get a box that height. Start squatting on that. We do some variation of box squats for 90% or more of our max effort squat exercises. It will train you to hit depth, and it's especially useful once you start using squat briefs or suits. That's a whole 'nother discussion though lol.
post #34 of 49 (permalink) Old 04-11-2007, 08:44 PM Thread Starter
Rookie

Another update......

I got up to 203lbs so i started some cardio again and cut down just a tad on the meals.

Weight 192lbs
Bench 415lbs (shirted)
Squat 405lbs
Deadlift 485lbs

The numbers are still climbing. 2 Months tell my first powerlifting competition. I plan on braking the police/fire 181lb World record the first time out.

07 Harley Truck S/C
08 G-37S
LockoutSupplements.com
post #35 of 49 (permalink) Old 07-02-2007, 04:00 PM Thread Starter
Rookie

Two weeks away!

Cut down to 186lbs and i've got all my strength back and more for the most part.

Bench 405lbs (shirted)
Squat 445lbs
Deadlift 500lbs

I'll be happy with these lifts in two weeks.

07 Harley Truck S/C
08 G-37S
LockoutSupplements.com
post #36 of 49 (permalink) Old 07-05-2007, 02:41 PM
Punk Ass Newbie

Greg, saw you called man, i have been so swamped, call me if you are going to go to LA tonight. I need to get my bench up to where your at, think my form is all off. Call me man.

www.lockoutforums.com
post #37 of 49 (permalink) Old 07-05-2007, 02:52 PM
Lifer

make sure you eat enough calories so that you don't lose the muscle and make it a lot of protein
post #38 of 49 (permalink) Old 07-05-2007, 08:11 PM Thread Starter
Rookie

bkburg, just got back i didnt see the post in time. Im working Chest on Saturday around 6pm! I need some help to go all out...

elzoro- yeah i've upped my protein shakes to 3 a day. Im hitting good numbers but the heavy lifting is making my weight creep back up.

190lbs today with 10 days to weigh in.
Im getting ripped like crazy though. Im sitting around 9% BF right now at 190.

The plan is to cut some carbs and do some LIGHT cardio this week to get to 185lbs. Then sauna off 5lbs the day of.
I have a couple IV bags ready if need be.

07 Harley Truck S/C
08 G-37S
LockoutSupplements.com
post #39 of 49 (permalink) Old 07-05-2007, 08:25 PM
Lifer

Quote:
bkburg, just got back i didnt see the post in time. Im working Chest on Saturday around 6pm! I need some help to go all out...

elzoro- yeah i've upped my protein shakes to 3 a day. Im hitting good numbers but the heavy lifting is making my weight creep back up.

190lbs today with 10 days to weigh in.
Im getting ripped like crazy though. Im sitting around 9% BF right now at 190.

The plan is to cut some carbs and do some LIGHT cardio this week to get to 185lbs. Then sauna off 5lbs the day of.
I have a couple IV bags ready if need be.
Post up some pics.

I would rather live my life as if there is a God, and die to find out there isn't, than live my life as if there isn't, and die to find out there is.
post #40 of 49 (permalink) Old 07-05-2007, 09:01 PM Thread Starter
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by dewayne6243
Post up some pics.

I have a lot of pics and i could even take one right now but i usually get flamed by fag haters when i post one up.

Here's a quick one for ya. Doesnt show much...

07 Harley Truck S/C
08 G-37S
LockoutSupplements.com

Last edited by GRAYHORSE; 07-05-2007 at 09:16 PM.
post #41 of 49 (permalink) Old 07-05-2007, 09:16 PM
Lifer

Quote:
I have a lot of pics and i could even take one right now but i usually get flamed by fag haters when i post one up.

Screw them. They are just a bunch of fat asses. Lets see what u got.

I would rather live my life as if there is a God, and die to find out there isn't, than live my life as if there isn't, and die to find out there is.
post #42 of 49 (permalink) Old 07-05-2007, 09:17 PM Thread Starter
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by dewayne6243
Screw them. They are just a bunch of fat asses. Lets see what u got.
Just edited it...

07 Harley Truck S/C
08 G-37S
LockoutSupplements.com
post #43 of 49 (permalink) Old 07-07-2007, 03:35 AM
Yea Im fat, but ur ugly!

Thumbs up ..

Good luck man. Seems like youve been working hard.
post #44 of 49 (permalink) Old 07-08-2007, 08:00 PM Thread Starter
Rookie

Thanks

Well, i've been starving myself using low fat protein shakes to curve my hunger. Problem is my weight is going UP and not down.
With the heavy training, and extra protein/BCAA's i keep gaining weight.

Im tired of starving myself so I'm just going to go up to the 198 class.

This way i can gain 5 more pounds this week and i wont have to worry about cutting weight or anything. I just wont be able to brake the records i wanted.
I can still get Gold though.

07 Harley Truck S/C
08 G-37S
LockoutSupplements.com
post #45 of 49 (permalink) Old 07-08-2007, 10:58 PM
Scared s**tless

Fuck that shit! Make your weight class, man. cut out all sodium, all sugars, keep carbs under 40 a day until after weigh in. get a lot of fiber, I would bet your high protein eating is making you constipated. Think I was joking about that colonic?

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarrisonBT
I sound shit out man, lol. Firefox didnt have a suggestion. I figure A) I'm waay too far off, or B) It's spanish, and Firefox is an English Fox.

I facepalm myself.
post #46 of 49 (permalink) Old 07-08-2007, 11:10 PM
Your Real DAD

Location: Prowlin the streets,with my FUNNY friend. In good ol Checkaho,TX AKA GARLAND BITCH
Get some lasics, and drop it like it's hot.
post #47 of 49 (permalink) Old 07-09-2007, 07:08 AM Thread Starter
Rookie

we'll see how the next couple days go. I dont wanna drain myself and be weak.
I only weighed 190 this morning though so we'll see.

07 Harley Truck S/C
08 G-37S
LockoutSupplements.com
post #48 of 49 (permalink) Old 07-09-2007, 07:27 AM
Bitter Italian

Greg if you want any help on cutting let me know. I have a few tricks i've seen people use.
post #49 of 49 (permalink) Old 07-10-2007, 08:32 PM Thread Starter
Rookie

Nahh, i'll be pissed if i dont get up 400lbs on the day of the meet. I dont wanna come in weak. Im just gonna eat more and go in around 195lbs.

I struggled to get 405 today.

87 LX Hatch -- Project 302 6.3[email protected] -- 4 Sale
07 Harley Truck S/C
08 G-37S
LockoutSupplements.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement