Cutting to make weight?? - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-25-2006, 01:46 PM Thread Starter
Rookie

Cutting to make weight??

I'm trying to get into powerlifting. Something i've never done but wanted to in the past. I'll have more questions about powerlifting later.

Anyway, i want to compete in the Firefighter olympics next year in powerlifting.

The two weight classes around me are 165 and 181.
I weigh 175 right now but need to get a lot stronger and lose weight. haha

If i get up to 180lbs can i easily lose the 15lbs a week before or is that too much?

I ask because if it's harder than i think to lose the weight then i'll change my deit/workout to be closeer to 185-190 for the bigger class.

87 LX Hatch -- Project 302 [email protected] -- 4 Sale
89 4 eye coupe (Grayhorse)
07 Harley Truck S/C
08 G-37S
LockoutSupplements.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-25-2006, 02:43 PM
Lifer

In my experience, when you cut a lot quickly it is usually by starvation and tons of cardio. That usually saps all the energy out of your muscles and you find that you can't lift nearly as much as you normally do. 5 pounds maybe, but 15 is a lot at that body weight. I would just focus on diet now and then maintaining it as you get stronger.

2001 Mustang Bullitt GT #5111 367.6rwhp/378.4rwtq
2004 Black Lightning #789 STOCK: 363.1rwhp/444.8rwtq
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-25-2006, 02:51 PM
Hired Hand

Losing 15lbs quickly is gonna make your strength take a big time dive. No big deal in the bodybuilding world, but in powerlifting you need that strength. I'd worry about putting on as much lean mass as possible whie minimizing extra bodyfat as you gain. You could sit in a sauna to lighten up before before weigh-in, but make sure that you have time to rehydrate or that will make your strength suffer as well.

Raven 2006 Yamaha R6S

"If it has horsepower or tits you're gonna have trouble with it eventually..."

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-25-2006, 03:03 PM
No Cerveza... No Trabajo

I find cutting myself to lose weight really doesn't work. At most I can cut off two or three ounces before the pain.

My 401K is now a 400K (was 301K)
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-25-2006, 03:06 PM
No Cerveza... No Trabajo

Get a body composition done by a reasonable person.

175 and 20% body fat vs. 175 and 12% body fat are two different animals.

With 175 and 20% you have 140lbs of lean mass. Probably makes sense to lose weight and try for the 165lbs class in a year.

With 175 and 12% you have 154lbs of lean mass. Probably makes sense to not diet *as much* and save it for going for the 180lb class.

My 401K is now a 400K (was 301K)
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-25-2006, 06:10 PM Thread Starter
Rookie

Thanks Guys.
I always gain weight when working out heavy. I just got back into lifting last month and i've gained 6lbs so far.
I do run 3 miles every third day with a little bit of other cardio mixed in.
I think i'll be around 180 with 8% bodyfat by the target date of July 07.
I guess there is know way im going to be able to gain the strength in need and stay this close to 165lbs.
I just didnt want to do the 181 class cause there's going to be a b
ig difference in strength there! haha

So with that said, i think my goal is to be 185lbs a few weeks before the comp. The weigh in is the day before.

07 Harley Truck S/C
08 G-37S
LockoutSupplements.com
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-25-2006, 07:27 PM
Sports weenie @ full attn

I went through the same thing during wrestling in hs. It's damn near impossible to lose weight while lifting if your BF% is already low. Depending on your BF%, 165 might not be doable, because you'd have to lose probably atleast 20lbs of fat to get there considering the muscle you'll be gaining.

post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-25-2006, 07:34 PM
Foxaholic

Greg,

My .02...

I used to wrestle and powerlift competively in college. Making weight is always harder on us "lean" guys. Since you are talking about a power lifting comp. I would shoot for the 165 class. As you stated the strength difference is going to be pretty big. However, from my experience in the military, a lot of these "competitions" only bring out a few folks and the competition is nothing like a true event for NCAA or amateur. Don't sweat the competition.

I would get as much mass as possible up to about 2-3 weeks before competition and then stay within about 6-8 lbs of the target weight. Your cutting weight will have to consist of almost 100% water. Just give yourself the fluids back and you will be fine. The less weight you have to cut, the better you will feel for comp.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-25-2006, 07:51 PM
Baller

I powerlifted in the 165lb class, and honestly, the totals aren't that different. Expecially not worth losing that much weight over. Its much easier to worry more about strength gains. being 6lbs from breaking the 181 weight class...theres no way you're gonna be able to focus on strength gains if you go to the 165. And if you are over weight...you have to run your ass off or sit in a sauna to drop just a few lbs. Then when its time to lift, your energy is gone. Trust me, if you're under 12% body fat...its not worth it.

Your gear makes a huge difference as well. Make sure you have someone that knows how to wrap, and if they allow it go all out on the shirt. Just make sure to check restrictions.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-25-2006, 09:13 PM Thread Starter
Rookie

Thanks for the help.
I guess the plan is to just keep hitting the gym hard, lifting HEAVY.
I'll let the weight do it's own thing for right now. I have a lot of strenght i need to gain.

As far as gear, i dont have any right now. My friend at work says you can wear wrist wraps and the shirts and pretty much everyone does.

If any of you guys are currently working out near Mckinney let me know. I'd like some tips and help with form.

07 Harley Truck S/C
08 G-37S
LockoutSupplements.com
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-25-2006, 09:20 PM
Baller

get some knee wraps and learn to use them! That will add 30-40 lbs to your squat easy.
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-08-2006, 08:10 PM Thread Starter
Rookie

Progress......

I now weigh 182lbs and have droped and inch off my waist. I plan on leveling out around 188 so i can get down to 181 pretty easy.

07 Harley Truck S/C
08 G-37S
LockoutSupplements.com
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-09-2006, 09:27 AM
The Fastest of the Fast

Get on a road cycle and you will lose 10lbs in no time.
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-12-2006, 12:33 PM
Time Served

some suplement tips... if your BF % is above 20 or around, screw it man, get to 190 or 192 for the weight training and a few months before the meet drop to about 187 or something.

to help with strength gains, a good suplement to help gain LEAN muscle mass is nitric oxide. it opens up your blood vessels and gets your muscles pumped before the work out and give you alot more energy.

Also, creatine works great when you stop making huges strength gains and reach your plateu. Start off at 2-3 grams a day post work out for the first month and get to about 5-7 grams once a day after a few months or 2 grams before and 2 grams after workout. You should however stop taking this suplement while you are trying to cut weight if you need to because it will continue to put water into your muscles. Knowing this, if you dont need to, dont! Once you stop taking creatine, the strength that you gained because of the suplement will drop 30%... still leaving a 70% increase w/o tho...

The most important thing is to have a good whey protien in you diet. The rule of thumb is 1g of protien per lb of fat so yours should be about 190grams a day. i try to consume about 1/3 of my protien intake through shakes. one in the morning for breakfast and one post work out.

best advice is to make sure you are doing your squats low enough... low enough = the top of you quad being parralell with the ground or your hip breaking your knee line... make sure that when you bench, you are not "bouncing up" after ever rep. do all your reps with control and settle down... at the meets, they actually make you rest the bar on your chest for half a second so bouncing the wieght around wont get you anywhere. CORE LIFTS: power cling and shrugs for dead lift. lunges, jump squats and regulare squats for squat. and tricept extension, dumb bell bench, incline decline, and regulare bench for bench. also, glutamine is your friend if you notice you are more then ussually sore, take about 10grams of glutamine and an extra protien shake and stretch and you'll be all better!!

good luck and keep us posted with your results!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement