started - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-24-2006, 01:04 PM Thread Starter
Lifer

started

how did yall get started on your diets/work outs?
have you always or just wake up one morning and start doing this
i keep trying to start and do good for like 3 days and i dont know what happens, but i seem to always mess it up.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-24-2006, 01:30 PM
Oooooooh-whee

On my 29th birthday, I decided I was tired of looking in the mirror everyday at a fat gut, tired of being depressed, feeling like shit all the time, and tired of doing nothing about it. I was in excellent shape until 23 and then just let go. I would always tell myself I would start next week, then the next week, etc. Before you know it a month, three, six, a year have gone by and you have nothing to show for it. It takes a lot of discipline. It's too easy to hit the snooze button and say you're going to catch back up tomorrow. You have to train your mind to think that it's not an option. You just have to do it. Bust your ass Monday-Friday and reward yourself by taking off on the weekends. You are going to miss a workout. It WILL happen. Don't let it go. You have to beat yourself up a little and make up for it that night, don't just completely skip a day.

8/16/05
post #3 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-24-2006, 01:33 PM
Hired Hand

Similarly, I got tired of being fat and frumpy back in college. I started going a few days per week, and then the bug bit. Exercise is not "fun", you have to have a strong desire to make a change in your health (or have an ego that make you want to be the biggest motherfucker on the planet).

Raven 2006 Yamaha R6S

"If it has horsepower or tits you're gonna have trouble with it eventually..."

post #4 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-24-2006, 01:49 PM Thread Starter
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Raven
Similarly, I got tired of being fat and frumpy back in college. I started going a few days per week, and then the bug bit. Exercise is not "fun", you have to have a strong desire to make a change in your health (or have an ego that make you want to be the biggest motherfucker on the planet).
i feel like the biggest motherfucker on the planet just not in a good way
cool i gotta keep it straight
post #5 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-24-2006, 04:43 PM
Mustang_GT Gurl

Quote:
Originally Posted by needsastang80
how did yall get started on your diets/work outs?
have you always or just wake up one morning and start doing this
i keep trying to start and do good for like 3 days and i dont know what happens, but i seem to always mess it up.
I joined the gym.
post #6 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-24-2006, 04:56 PM
Hired Hand

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang_GT Gurl
I joined the gym.

Trust me, having seen so many different faces over the years, and knowing that gyms are grown on non-repeat members, that means very little.

Raven 2006 Yamaha R6S

"If it has horsepower or tits you're gonna have trouble with it eventually..."
post #7 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-24-2006, 05:34 PM
No Cerveza... No Trabajo

I always put something in front of me ("the carrot").

After two years of pretty much doing whatever when it comes to exercise and diet I started training for an Ironman Triathlon in the fall of 2007. Carrot is big enough to be serious but not big enough whereas a lapse here and there will effect it (which is a big thing, don't worry about the lapses, get back on the pony and move forward again)

I like triathlon training because... well... I like to eat and I'm pretty much eating whatever I want. Unfortunately, a ruptured achilles tendon has me about to start rehab for 3-4 months before I can get back into full training. The cast comes off in two weeks and I'll be able to swim again.

At the moment I'm still doing as much core training as possible and "well leg" cycling on my trainer. I won't be able to start serious running again until February.

As such, I throttled the diet way down to where I'm around 2500 calories again. Once I'm healthy again, I can throttle it back up to 3500-4000 calories a day.

The other thing I like about triathlon training is typically my long run is on Saturday and my long bike is on Sunday, so the temptation to "social drink" goes way down.

After years and years of training for events I find it is the only way I'll consistently follow through with training and diet. If there isn't an event, I slack off regularly.

My 401K is now a 400K (was 301K)
post #8 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-25-2006, 10:56 AM Thread Starter
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 01WhiteCobra
I always put something in front of me ("the carrot").

After two years of pretty much doing whatever when it comes to exercise and diet I started training for an Ironman Triathlon in the fall of 2007. Carrot is big enough to be serious but not big enough whereas a lapse here and there will effect it (which is a big thing, don't worry about the lapses, get back on the pony and move forward again)

I like triathlon training because... well... I like to eat and I'm pretty much eating whatever I want. Unfortunately, a ruptured achilles tendon has me about to start rehab for 3-4 months before I can get back into full training. The cast comes off in two weeks and I'll be able to swim again.

At the moment I'm still doing as much core training as possible and "well leg" cycling on my trainer. I won't be able to start serious running again until February.

As such, I throttled the diet way down to where I'm around 2500 calories again. Once I'm healthy again, I can throttle it back up to 3500-4000 calories a day.

The other thing I like about triathlon training is typically my long run is on Saturday and my long bike is on Sunday, so the temptation to "social drink" goes way down.

After years and years of training for events I find it is the only way I'll consistently follow through with training and diet. If there isn't an event, I slack off regularly.
how and where do you do this kinda of training? the running is not for me but i love biking. how do i traing and what kinda bike do i need and all that
post #9 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-25-2006, 12:14 PM
No Cerveza... No Trabajo

Quote:
how and where do you do this kinda of training? the running is not for me but i love biking. how do i traing and what kinda bike do i need and all that
What kind of bike depends on what your goals and budget are. I could compete in age-group, nationally in my twenties. Then I got married, had kids, and my training suffered (not really suffered, since I traded it for an awesome wife and two awesome daughters for it)

I don't do group rides on the bike, I train mainly alone. The reason is more mental since there isn't any drafting in triathlons (you'll get a penalty) so you really are alone on the bike. As such I have a pure triathlon bike which ran around $1500 two years ago (Specialized Transition) and I'm looking at a $2K Quintano Roo at the moment. If you want to join a bike team or do group rides on the bike, then stick with a road bike. Tri bikes are very difficult to handle in group rides because most of your weight is over the front tire.

But, if you are just starting out and have a bike, that is fine. After one or two tris you might invest in some aero bars which will put your weight over the front wheel. It will make the transition from bike->run alot easier. Go out for a 20 mile bike ride, strap on your running shoes, and run for 3 miles. Really weird experience if you have never done it.

When I first started out I had a $200 Cannondale (probably $600 today for the same bike) and regularly smoked people on their $1K triathlon bikes. $5K triathlon bikes work if you are elite and are trying to shave off a minute or two on a 2 hours triathlon but pretty much a waste of money for the average age grouper.

Hardest part for most people is the swimming. Most people don't know how to swim efficiently and all that thrasing kills you on the bike and run. My "best events" actually go just like the tri's do: Best: Swimming 2nd Best: Bike 3rd Best: Run.

Best way to learn to swim properly is in a Masters Swim Program. Only thing crazy about it is the workouts are typically 5am! Here is a list of Dallas area master's swim teams (you don't have to compete in swim meets to be part of the team, but they are fun)
http://www.ntmasters.org/popup.php?c...age=LMSC_teams

Two other websites for you:

Dallas area triathlons/duatholons (duatholons are run->bike->run for the non-fish)
http://www.trifind.com/tx.html

Good site on training for different distances (click "Training")
http://www.trinewbies.com/

Sprints are very managable with not much training. Typically, the distance is 300-500 meter swim, 12-15 mile bike, 5K run

Olympic/International distance is what they used in the Olympics and International competitions (about 5-6 hours a week training for an average age grouper): 1500 meter swim, 25 mile bike, 10K run

1/2 ironman (got to be dedicated, about 5-6 months solid training after you can complete an Internation distance tri, about 12-15 hours training per week) :
1.2 mile swim, 56 mile bike, 13.1 mile run

ironman (got to be extremely dedicated, about 7 months of solid training, 15-20 hours per week training):
2.4 mile swim, 112 mile bike, 26.2 mile run

post #10 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-25-2006, 12:37 PM
Lifer

When I met my wife I weight a 136 NO fat and all chiseled muscle. After 4 years of dating and back from our HM I weight 160 LBS of [email protected] FAT. I now workout about 5-6 days a week and weight 144lbs. Losing the excess weight is the easy part, keeping it off is the hard part. You now what they say no pain no gain. Good luck and remember it's a change in lifestyle. The way you eat, drink, and sleep will all affect the way you look and feel. But most importantly the way you maintain and keep the weight off.
post #11 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-25-2006, 01:52 PM
Lifer

I decided I was a fucking fatass one day, and felt like changing it. It was just that simple.

post #12 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-25-2006, 02:03 PM
Ja Ja Ja Ja JEW UNIT!!

I used to do martial arts and when i moved here, i couldnt find a school i like..
so at 165lbs of angry jew. i started lifting.

D.
Pain, is weakness leaving the body.
post #13 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-25-2006, 02:48 PM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by White_lightning
I used to do martial arts and when i moved here, i couldnt find a school i like..
so at 165lbs of angry jew. i started lifting.
Now you weigh twice as much!

I was 6'2" @ 135 as a freshman. I'm now 6'3" @ 285. Damn that last inch was heavy!

2001 Mustang Bullitt GT #5111 367.6rwhp/378.4rwtq
2004 Black Lightning #789 STOCK: 363.1rwhp/444.8rwtq
post #14 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-25-2006, 03:19 PM

The first 2-3 weeks were the hardest for me. The pain of the first week and recovering, the mental "oh god this is so horrible" as I struggled to put up tiny dumbells and was struggling with the bar and how sore/hurt I was the next day. Then all that went away as I started eating better for lifting and started training with more frequency. Now I'm at the gym for about 2 hours a day 4 days a week and I feel great.

I went from 280 to 218, now up to 241 and I'm going to get to 250 before I cut down to the 225 I want to be at with aronud 8-10% body fat. I'm not going for the super cut look though, I'm going for strength over looks.

Last edited by SSprayIt; 11-03-2006 at 01:51 AM.
post #15 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-25-2006, 09:19 PM
Rookie

I was always the smallest and was a pussy.

I started working out as a freshman in high school and got in my first real fight.
Then got addicted to fighting and use to fight all the time all throughout highschool. I now try and avoid fighting if at all possible.

I've worked out off and on since. Injuries have always disrupted my working out phases.

87 LX Hatch -- Project 302 [email protected] -- 4 Sale
89 4 eye coupe (Grayhorse)
07 Harley Truck S/C
08 G-37S
LockoutSupplements.com
post #16 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-26-2006, 05:17 PM Thread Starter
Lifer

so most of yall just woke one morning and started then
post #17 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-26-2006, 05:20 PM
Lifer

Quote:
The journey of 1000 miles starts with one step.

post #18 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-26-2006, 05:38 PM
Full tilt boogie !!

i need to start working out to. Guess I need to just bite the bullet and make it happen. 5'11 205, need to drop about 25-30lbs

**SKAGG NASTY** Just another 9 second street car.

post #19 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-26-2006, 05:41 PM

Quote:
I work out at like 930 at night.

post #20 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-26-2006, 05:43 PM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Txstang1
i need to start working out to. Guess I need to just bite the bullet and make it happen. 5'11 205, need to drop about 25-30lbs
Just remember it's always tomorrow until it happens today.

post #21 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-26-2006, 06:04 PM
Full tilt boogie !!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThreeFingerPete
Just remember it's always tomorrow until it happens today.
no doubt and its been tomorrow for a long long time.

This thread has inspired me.

**SKAGG NASTY** Just another 9 second street car.

post #22 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-26-2006, 06:18 PM
Worship me

I haven't worked out since last Saturday and my god i feel awful!!
post #23 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-26-2006, 06:22 PM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by AL P
I haven't worked out since last Saturday and my god i feel awful!!
Al, no offense, but you're looking a little Il.

post #24 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-26-2006, 06:30 PM
tex
Lifer

I went from being a 6'1 180lb college basketball recruit to a 240lb fatass in about 2.5 years. There were injuries along the way, but even the ankle problems that took basketball from me shouldn't have been an issue. Instead I quit being competitive, and lost the drive to be the best at some particular athletic endeavor, so I quit worrying about my body. I found a sport that I can play around my work/school schedule that motivates me to stay healthy, but I still lost 2-3 years to being unhealthy, which affected my schooling, work, and appearance. Now I'm back to being a bad ass motherfucker.
post #25 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-26-2006, 07:06 PM
No Cerveza... No Trabajo

Quote:
Originally Posted by tex
I found a sport that I can play around my work/school schedule that motivates me to stay healthy, but I still lost 2-3 years to being unhealthy, which affected my schooling, work, and appearance.
All that from hopscotch, eh?

post #26 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-26-2006, 07:12 PM
Baller

what do you mean just woke up one morning and jumped in? How else do you do it? I pretty much started in 6th grade lightly lifting because i was tired of getting my ass kicked by my older bro. Then i noticed i was bigger than my class mates, and girls like muscle so i've lifted ever since. I've learned so much about workouts and my body over this time span its incredible.
post #27 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-27-2006, 09:13 AM
Time Served

Heck yes reading most of these posts is very inspiring.. I started reading this section before I started working out and you guys def. helped me.. I feel 100% better since eating right and working out, pants fall off shirts are tight on my arms and my chest now. Its fuggin awesome the confidence and self esteem u get I love it..

You guys are great thanks a million..

Oh yeah I just woke up one mornin and said I have some extra money Im gonna spend it right. GYM and 265 dollars worth of supplements and crap and worth every penny

post #28 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-27-2006, 09:22 AM
Musician for the deaf

When your 13 year old out benches you without breaking a sweat you know you need to get back in shape
Sponsored Links
Advertisement