Weight/Diet Newb needs help - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 39 (permalink) Old 10-24-2006, 11:44 AM Thread Starter

Weight/Diet Newb needs help

I have never lifted a weight in my life nor have I ever been on a "diet" at any time. Now I am 27 and my waist is trying to expand past my inseam and I can't allow that to happen. I guess since I got out of the Corps I have kinda let myself go down hill and its time to get my shit together. I have tried reading a couple of weight loss/lifting forums but I am so new I don't understand half the shit in those. I have a membership with LA Fitness and have been running but my diet sucks. I am an exteremly picky eater which makes things even harder. As far a vegetables go I only eat: peas, carrots, corn, and green beans. I know that is awful but I can't stand any of the others. Are there any resources for newbs or picky people for diets and work out plans? I don't want to get huge, I just want to be tone.
I am 5ft 8in, 165pd, small build.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 39 (permalink) Old 10-24-2006, 12:29 PM
Hired Hand

Quote:
Originally Posted by usmcblown4.6
but my diet sucks.

You need to focus on getting that under control first and foremost, aside from hours of jogging, there isn't a program out there that will trim your waist without being in conjunction with a healthy calorie-specific diet. Stay away from simple sugars, saturated fat, and alcohol, and keep your carbs healthy and moderate.

Raven 2006 Yamaha R6S

"If it has horsepower or tits you're gonna have trouble with it eventually..."
post #3 of 39 (permalink) Old 10-24-2006, 12:39 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Raven
Stay away from simple sugars, saturated fat, and alcohol, and keep your carbs healthy and moderate.
What is a good resource for a diet plan meeting those requirements?

post #4 of 39 (permalink) Old 10-24-2006, 12:51 PM
Hired Hand

Quote:
The refrigerator.

Raven 2006 Yamaha R6S

post #5 of 39 (permalink) Old 10-24-2006, 12:53 PM
Lifer

Quote:
The refrigerator.
LMAO!

post #6 of 39 (permalink) Old 10-24-2006, 12:57 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for being a smartass, real helpful! I didn't ask for you to create my diet, I just wanted to know where I can go to get a plan that meets those requirements. I should have known better.
post #7 of 39 (permalink) Old 10-24-2006, 01:08 PM
Oooooooh-whee

Quote:
Self discipline is the only resource you need. How many times a day do you eat and give examples of what you eat for each meal? Do you drink sodas? How often do you go out to eat? At 5'8" 165lbs, it seems like the road ahead should be fairly easy.

8/16/05
post #8 of 39 (permalink) Old 10-24-2006, 01:16 PM
Hired Hand

Quote:
Thanks for being a smartass, real helpful! I didn't ask for you to create my diet, I just wanted to know where I can go to get a plan that meets those requirements. I should have known better.
lol Lighten up man. Do a quick search, and you'll see that I'm usually quite happy to help with diet advice. Actually, I've probably answered this exact question in detail at least 10 times. You presented an opportunity for humor, and I obliged.

I don't have a specific website to give, just my years of experience with what works for me. Start reading labels, steer clear of the things I mentioned above, and count your calories. Eat as often as possible, and natural food sources are preferred over things stuffed with preservatives. Protein should come from chicken, lean red meat, tuna, and turkey. Keep your carbs comlex (which means they take longer to absorb) by eating things like yams, whole wheat pasta, potatos, whole grain rice, an wheat bread if you've gotta have bread. Stay away from creamy sauces, and season with things like salt/pepper, mustard, fat free mayo, fat free salad dressing.

Raven 2006 Yamaha R6S

post #9 of 39 (permalink) Old 10-24-2006, 01:20 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyrone Biggums
Self discipline is the only resource you need. How many times a day do you eat and give examples of what you eat for each meal? Do you drink sodas? How often do you go out to eat? At 5'8" 165lbs, it seems like the road ahead should be fairly easy.
Discipline I have, knowledge is where I am lacking right now. Meals vary an easy guide is meat and potatos. I eat twice a day maximum usually a small lunch and then dinner. I do drink sodas but I am cutting down to no more than 1 can a day if any. I don't really go out to eat very often so thats not a problem to stop all together. I am not fat by any means but I can see a difference in my gut and want to stop it before it comes a big problem. I guess what I was wondering is what sort of meals would fall in those guidelines.
post #10 of 39 (permalink) Old 10-24-2006, 01:22 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
lol Lighten up man. Do a quick search, and you'll see that I'm usually quite happy to help with diet advice. Actually, I've probably answered this exact question in detail at least 10 times. You presented an opportunity for humor, and I obliged.

I don't have a specific website to give, just my years of experience with what works for me. Start reading labels, steer clear of the things I mentioned above, and count your calories. Eat as often as possible, and natural food sources are preferred over things stuffed with preservatives. Protein should come from chicken, lean red meat, tuna, and turkey. Keep your carbs comlex (which means they take longer to absorb) by eating things like yams, whole wheat pasta, potatos, whole grain rice, an wheat bread if you've gotta have bread. Stay away from creamy sauces, and season with things like salt/pepper, mustard, fat free mayo, fat free salad dressing.
Sorry I am kinda sensitive about this one, I have always been in good shape so this is really gettin to me. Thanks for the advice, that is exactly what I was looking for.

What are simple sugars? Examples? I am going to google too.
post #11 of 39 (permalink) Old 10-24-2006, 01:25 PM
HERE WE GO STEELERS

Quote:
Sorry I am kinda sensitive about this one, I have always been in good shape so this is really gettin to me. Thanks for the advice, that is exactly what I was looking for.

What are simple sugars? Examples? I am going to google too.
Sugar, Corn Syrup, High Frustose Corn Syrup...

post #12 of 39 (permalink) Old 10-24-2006, 01:31 PM
Hired Hand

[QUOTE=usmcblown4.6] I eat twice a day maximum usually a small lunch and then dinner.QUOTE]

That type of meal schedule will seriously hamper your metabolism, and make it muuch harder to lose weight. Eat more frequent, but smaller meals. When I'm cutting down I eat every 2 and a half hours. This allows me to severly cut calories without feeling hungry, because there is always something in my stomach.

Geof listed the basic simple sugars, basically anything sweet. You can treat yourself on occasion, but realize that sugary foods spike your insulin and cause you to start storing "energy" (i.e. fat)

Raven 2006 Yamaha R6S

post #13 of 39 (permalink) Old 10-24-2006, 01:40 PM
Oooooooh-whee

You need to cut out the sodas completely. They have too many calories and too much sugar. If you have to have them, drink diet or "Zero" sodas and I would limit them to one a day. Drink ice cold water and lots of it. How much alcohol do you consume, what kind and how often?

8/16/05
post #14 of 39 (permalink) Old 10-24-2006, 01:43 PM
HERE WE GO STEELERS

Quote:
You need to cut out the sodas completely. They have too many calories and too much sugar. If you have to have them, drink diet or "Zero" sodas and I would limit them to one a day. Drink ice cold water and lots of it. How much alcohol do you consume, what kind and how often?
Alcohol and late-night meals are my problem. My work schedule doesn't help much either though.

post #15 of 39 (permalink) Old 10-24-2006, 01:45 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Bud Light if any and maybe every other weekend, when I do consume though its usually 6-12.
post #16 of 39 (permalink) Old 10-24-2006, 01:55 PM
Hired Hand

Quote:
Bud Light if any and maybe every other weekend, when I do consume though its usually 6-12.

Alcohol will wreck even the strictest of diets, and beer is the absolutely worst form to consume. Alcohol is broken down into sugar as it is digested, and stored as such. It has also been proven to lower natural testosterone production in the day(s) following a night out, and higher test levels promote lean mass and fat consumption.

Raven 2006 Yamaha R6S

post #17 of 39 (permalink) Old 10-24-2006, 01:58 PM
HERE WE GO STEELERS

Quote:
Alcohol will wreck even the strictest of diets, and beer is the absolutely worst form to consume. Alcohol is broken down into sugar as it is digested, and stored as such. It has also been proven to lower natural testosterone production in the day(s) following a night out, and higher test levels promote lean mass and fat consumption.
So you're saying that drinking for a few hours each Sunday during footballs games will fuck me over if I'm dieting and exercising?

post #18 of 39 (permalink) Old 10-24-2006, 02:04 PM
No Cerveza... No Trabajo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geof
So you're saying that drinking for a few hours each Sunday during footballs games will fuck me over if I'm dieting and exercising?
Depends on how many you drink in those few hours.

Alcohol is pretty much a non-nutrition that is filled with calories. A beer or wine with dinner isn't going to goof you up. A case of beer a week, you might as well not even work out.

My 401K is now a 400K (was 301K)
post #19 of 39 (permalink) Old 10-24-2006, 02:07 PM
HERE WE GO STEELERS

Quote:
Originally Posted by 01WhiteCobra
Depends on how many you drink in those few hours.

Alcohol is pretty much a non-nutrition that is filled with calories. A beer or wine with dinner isn't going to goof you up. A case of beer a week, you might as well not even work out.
4-6 beers and a shot or two.

post #20 of 39 (permalink) Old 10-24-2006, 02:30 PM
Hired Hand

Quote:
4-6 beers and a shot or two.
That's 400-600 useless calories in beer (if you drink light beer), and another 150 or so in liquor, depending on how you pour your shots. Then you've got the effect on your natural test to deal, as well as alcohol being a diuretic. Your body does not burn calories efficiently when dehydrated, and your are alot more likely to make poor food choices when you get the beer munchies. There is no rationalizing it, if you want to lose weight, don't drink alcohol.

Raven 2006 Yamaha R6S

post #21 of 39 (permalink) Old 10-24-2006, 02:39 PM
HERE WE GO STEELERS

Quote:
That's 400-600 useless calories in beer (if you drink light beer), and another 150 or so in liquor, depending on how you pour your shots. Then you've got the effect on your natural test to deal, as well as alcohol being a diuretic. Your body does not burn calories efficiently when dehydrated, and your are alot more likely to make poor food choices when you get the beer munchies. There is no rationalizing it, if you want to lose weight, don't drink alcohol.
Looks like I'll be having a lot less fun in life...

post #22 of 39 (permalink) Old 10-24-2006, 02:44 PM
Hired Hand

Quote:
Looks like I'll be having a lot less fun in life...

It's a trade of actually. I ususally feel pretty deprive at the beginning of any diet, but after a week or two into it I feel so much better physically, and take pride in the progress that I'm making, which makes it easier to turn down beer or pizza. Believe it or not, you can have fun without alcohol, it's all in your perception of life.

Raven 2006 Yamaha R6S

post #23 of 39 (permalink) Old 10-24-2006, 02:54 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the help guys I will let you know how I am progressing, I have a few things to throw away when I get home.
post #24 of 39 (permalink) Old 10-24-2006, 03:07 PM
Hired Hand

Quote:
Thanks for the help guys I will let you know how I am progressing, I have a few things to throw away when I get home.
That's definitely a good start, your will is always stongest in the beginning, and it's best to not have any junk around the house for when you aren't so gung ho.

Raven 2006 Yamaha R6S

post #25 of 39 (permalink) Old 10-24-2006, 03:13 PM
Time Served

I dont know all the in's and outs. But I think im doing good so far with my diet.. Your gym should have a nutritionalist dont they?? I seen the one at Reaction and he helped me out alot.. As stated before NO sodas and cut back on the beer, I know its hard but u just gotta want it.. I try my darndest to eat my 6 meals a day dont go over 3hr's with out food or your body will store the ez shit (sugars,fats crap like that) thinking ur going to starve your self. The veggies seem good I would do the corn just fat, starch. Try a 2500 cal. diet and see how that goes i have posted the diet Im doing on here, try something similar. Slimfast shakes kick ass, also yogurt helps promote fat loss and is a decent quick snack.

post #26 of 39 (permalink) Old 10-24-2006, 03:14 PM
Time Served

Quote:
It's a trade of actually. I ususally feel pretty deprive at the beginning of any diet, but after a week or two into it I feel so much better physically, and take pride in the progress that I'm making, which makes it easier to turn down beer or pizza. Believe it or not, you can have fun without alcohol, it's all in your perception of life.

Kudos to that one!!

post #27 of 39 (permalink) Old 10-24-2006, 03:15 PM

Since you are just looking for very basic information...try www.mypyramid.gov. The website has tons of information, and tons of different food choices for each food group. You can also enter in your information and use it as a guide to help you figure out your exact caloric needs and what not.
post #28 of 39 (permalink) Old 10-24-2006, 03:51 PM
Lifer

Quote:

LOL, Ya Alcohol does have allot effect in your diet. If u drink occasionaly though (Once a month) It shouldn't have much impact in your diet right? I mean I've stopped drinking but for special occasions and have been on a diet for about 10 months now, but have gone off a fucked around for weeks at a time where I have drank hard liquor and it did have a large impact in the way I was loosing weight, meaning I didnt gain but I didnt loose either, but then it took a couple days after that where my body had to like restart itself back into where I was loosing weight again, This was while doing Cardio for about 30min to an 1hr a day for 4 days of the week.

One thing I kinda want to know though, I have done before and didnt notice a diff in my diet and plan on doing this weekend because I feel like it , If you drink enough to make u pass out and throw up, Would the alchole consumed affect u, or would it be like u didnt even drink that night.

93 Mustang: Stock w/Vortech S-Trim
I drive a car that looks fast but seems to be slow...
But traction would help
post #29 of 39 (permalink) Old 10-24-2006, 04:15 PM
Hired Hand

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baller
LOL, Ya Alcohol does have allot effect in your diet. If u drink occasionaly though (Once a month) It shouldn't have much impact in your diet right? I mean I've stopped drinking but for special occasions and have been on a diet for about 10 months now, but have gone off a fucked around for weeks at a time where I have drank hard liquor and it did have a large impact in the way I was loosing weight, meaning I didnt gain but I didnt loose either, but then it took a couple days after that where my body had to like restart itself back into where I was loosing weight again, This was while doing Cardio for about 30min to an 1hr a day for 4 days of the week.

One thing I kinda want to know though, I have done before and didnt notice a diff in my diet and plan on doing this weekend because I feel like it , If you drink enough to make u pass out and throw up, Would the alchole consumed affect u, or would it be like u didnt even drink that night.
Drinking less will have less of an impact on your progess, but it will still slow you down. As for puking and passing out, it's the alcohol that you digested that is affectig the body, not what was puked up. Drinking to the point of being sick means that you've probably absorbed more alcohol into your blood than on a night in which you didn't puke. Binge drinking like that is even worse that having a couple beers, because it's hard on your liver, and your body will take even longer to recover back to homeostasis.

Raven 2006 Yamaha R6S

post #30 of 39 (permalink) Old 10-24-2006, 04:16 PM
Time Served

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baller

lol seriously pretty funny and good thought...

post #31 of 39 (permalink) Old 10-24-2006, 04:32 PM
Hired Hand

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Capown

...but completely false.

Raven 2006 Yamaha R6S

post #32 of 39 (permalink) Old 10-24-2006, 04:42 PM
Lifer

Quote:
and beer is the absolutely worst form to consume. .

Score one for Patron!
post #33 of 39 (permalink) Old 10-24-2006, 04:54 PM
Hired Hand

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marisa
Score one for Patron!

I prefer a good multiple distilled Vodka personally, but Patron get's it done as well. When I was at my leanest I was still drinking one night a week, but the diet was flawless, I stuck to sugar-free mixers, and jogged 4-5 mornings per week. I may not have a strong will, but I've got determination.

Raven 2006 Yamaha R6S

post #34 of 39 (permalink) Old 10-24-2006, 04:59 PM
Oooooooh-whee

I've been sticking with either Bacardi or Crown and Sprite Zero. I treated myself to 3 Spaten Oktoberfest's on Friday night though. They went with my stein and Lederhosen costume.

8/16/05
post #35 of 39 (permalink) Old 10-24-2006, 05:54 PM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Capown

LMAO, Well im glad someone thought so, And thanks for the info but im still going to get fucking shitfaced this weekend.

93 Mustang: Stock w/Vortech S-Trim
I drive a car that looks fast but seems to be slow...
But traction would help
post #36 of 39 (permalink) Old 10-25-2006, 01:36 PM
Rookie

Where is the LA Fitness you workout at? Can you get me a 1 Month trial?
I'll work out with your lazy ass.
I've been working out at CCCC for free.

87 LX Hatch -- Project 302 [email protected] -- 4 Sale
89 4 eye coupe (Grayhorse)
07 Harley Truck S/C
08 G-37S
LockoutSupplements.com
post #37 of 39 (permalink) Old 10-25-2006, 03:34 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRAYHORSE
Where is the LA Fitness you workout at? Can you get me a 1 Month trial?
I'll work out with your lazy ass.
I've been working out at CCCC for free.
The one in McKinney right by the GTG. I will see if they do month trial deals.
post #38 of 39 (permalink) Old 10-25-2006, 06:12 PM
Rookie

Awsome, let me know!

87 LX Hatch -- Project 302 [email protected] -- 4 Sale
89 4 eye coupe (Grayhorse)
07 Harley Truck S/C
08 G-37S
LockoutSupplements.com
post #39 of 39 (permalink) Old 10-25-2006, 06:47 PM
Sir Clavin

Pretty much everything Raven tells you is dead on. This is the program I am on right now.

Eating Schedule
7AM
10AM
1PM
4PM
7-8:30 is my workout. I sip a small dose whey shake(only 25gramsprotein.) This is strictly whey and contains little calories and no fat. I also add loads of BCAA's.
9PM
11PM

Meal 1 is highest in carbohydrates. All meals contain about 40 grams protein from whole foods, 15 grams mono or polyunsaturated fat(usually peanut butter or almonds.)
Daily totals for Carbs=150 Protein=273 Fat=90 Calories=2500

Off days just delete the whey/bcaa shake during workout. I usually feel some hunger between meals 2 and 3, then again between 4 and 5.

I also carb load every 10-14 days to keep my metabolism going. Basically, my main goal is to just lose bodyfat and maintain muscle at the same time.

Workouts vary but are followed by low intensity cardio. I'm trying to get to 10% bodyfat or less.

I got my plan from a dude online that happens to be pretty damn smart and knows all the right people. PM if you want his email addy.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement