Achilles treatment? - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-10-2006, 04:20 PM Thread Starter
Blue5spd's a titty baby

Achilles treatment?

I somehow managed to tweak my Achilles recently, nothing too bad more of a nuissance than anything else. But I don't want it to get worse and leave me SOL. What does everyone recommend for treatment, ice, heat...?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-10-2006, 09:47 PM
No Cerveza... No Trabajo

My solution was surgery, lol.

Had a complete rupture of my achilles a week ago in Mexico. Had surgery this afternoon on it. Hurts like a bitch at the moment!

Ice it down after activity. Best way to ice it down is to make an ice-popsicle and just run it up and down the achilles. Ibuprofen to help with any swelling.

My 401K is now a 400K (was 301K)
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-12-2006, 08:42 AM
Never settle always excel

Quote:
Originally Posted by cool cat
I somehow managed to tweak my Achilles recently, nothing too bad more of a nuissance than anything else. But I don't want it to get worse and leave me SOL. What does everyone recommend for treatment, ice, heat...?
Rest is one of the most important processes with any strained tendon or muscle. You can use ice to reduce the swelling and that helps but rest is key. I am not saying simply lay on the couch but be very careful and deliberate in your motions as to not aggrivate it again and again. I had a friend in the Army that an Achilles issue when we were in S.F. training he kept on it for 4 months, when we graduated from the course he went to the doctors who promptly put a cast on his foot so he'd stop using the leg long enough for the achilles to heal, they didn't trust him to stop exercising LOL.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-12-2006, 07:52 PM
The Alpha Omega Frog

Quote:
Originally Posted by cool cat

I have chronic achilles tendonitis. Major pain in the butt. Caused me to develop plantar fasciitis as well. Even had to get injections for that...sux.

Anywho. What was recommended earlier (rest) is an excellent idea. Only problem is, everytime you walk you stretch out the tendon. You can try putting in heal cups or a small lift in the heal of yor shoe and giving it a little time to heal and incorporating stretching. I ice my achilles (both are a problem) after running. Usually get a big bucket of water and dump a bunch of ice int it. Hurts like hell but feels so much better the next morning. Used to get so bad in football that I would start to get cramps in my calves by the end of the 3rd quarter.

Surgery can be recommended if it is ruptured. Sometime Docs will put you in a boot for a few weeks instead so you can rest it. Just do your best to fix it now or it will become on eof those nagging unjuries that never seem to go away.

Y2K Supercharged Electric Green GT
The Dallas Diamonds
WPFL 3Peat Superbowl Champions 2004-06
IWFL 2008 Superbowl Champions
Captain*Mike/Sam*League All Pro 2004
Def/LB coach 06-08 season
Defensive Coordinator 09

Dallas Fire Rescue
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-12-2006, 08:51 PM
No Cerveza... No Trabajo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frogger
Surgery can be recommended if it is ruptured. Sometime Docs will put you in a boot for a few weeks instead so you can rest it. Just do your best to fix it now or it will become on eof those nagging unjuries that never seem to go away.
Yep and surgery ain't no fun (two days out from my surgery to repair a complete rupture)

cast up to the knee in a few days (when the incision heals) for 4 weeks and booted for another 4. Then I can start rehab.

No running or biking for 6 months.

My 401K is now a 400K (was 301K)
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-13-2006, 02:22 PM Thread Starter
Blue5spd's a titty baby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frogger
That's probably what I'll have to do, wrapping it like a sprain doesn't seem to limit movement enough to let it heal.

68 Cougar "Calypso Coupe" - 1 of 28 made.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement