Cardio.... - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 41 (permalink) Old 10-05-2006, 05:12 PM Thread Starter
Lifer

Cardio....

What would be a good cardio routine, need loose a few extra pounds, the beer gut is getting big!!

"Be who you are and say what you feel. The people who matter don't mind and the people who mind don't matter." - Dr. Seuss
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 41 (permalink) Old 10-05-2006, 05:14 PM
Lifer

walk alot, or run alot. Rowing machines are good too.

post #3 of 41 (permalink) Old 10-05-2006, 05:24 PM
Oooooooh-whee

I do one hour sessions on our elliptical machine, 3 times a week.

8/16/05

post #4 of 41 (permalink) Old 10-05-2006, 05:47 PM
Hired Hand

Start with your diet, unless you clean up your eating/drinking habits, cardio is just gonna slow down you getting bigger.

Raven 2006 Yamaha R6S

"If it has horsepower or tits you're gonna have trouble with it eventually..."
post #5 of 41 (permalink) Old 10-05-2006, 06:31 PM
Baller

Run outside like a real man. Or try boxing...that will also lean you up pretty quick.

But like the Raven said...if you dont diet...you might as well do nothing at all.
post #6 of 41 (permalink) Old 10-05-2006, 06:34 PM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruffdaddy
But like the Raven said...if you dont diet...you might as well do nothing at all.
exercising for the sake of better overall fitness is worth doing, even if the goal is not to lose weight.

post #7 of 41 (permalink) Old 10-05-2006, 06:59 PM
Hired Hand

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThreeFingerPete
exercising for the sake of better overall fitness is worth doing, even if the goal is not to lose weight.

True, but he specified interest in losing the beer gut, not improving his over-all health. Even still, a healthy diet will have a far greater impact on well-being than a beer drinker that jogs 2 miles every other day.

Raven 2006 Yamaha R6S

post #8 of 41 (permalink) Old 10-05-2006, 07:09 PM
Baller

like the raven said...the goal was to lose weight. So i responded to his post on losing weight.
post #9 of 41 (permalink) Old 10-05-2006, 07:32 PM
Lifer

Quote:
like the raven said...the goal was to lose weight. So i responded to his post on losing weight.
You're wrong. Just because he isn't going to see as big of a difference by doing some cardio as opposed to straightening out his diet does not mean he won't see ANY difference.

post #10 of 41 (permalink) Old 10-05-2006, 08:10 PM
Baller

haha...ok three finger. Go walk alot...
post #11 of 41 (permalink) Old 10-05-2006, 08:11 PM
Lifer

Quote:
haha...ok three finger. Go walk alot...
Yeah, it doesn't help at all, just like flapping your fucking gums.

post #12 of 41 (permalink) Old 10-05-2006, 08:11 PM
not exclude

Quote:
You're wrong. Just because he isn't going to see as big of a difference by doing some cardio as opposed to straightening out his diet does not mean he won't see ANY difference.
It's possible the only difference he will see is he just won't get fatter as soon as he would have otherwise. Diet is the key to actually losing weight, exercise helps accelerate it after diet.

Diet will change the calorie deficit/surplus far more than physical exersion.
post #13 of 41 (permalink) Old 10-05-2006, 08:14 PM
Lifer

okay people, I know Aaron understands this.

Less activity with shitty diet = fat
more activity with shitty diet = higher metabolism and less fat than above.

It's not optimal, nor is it rocket science.

Nowhere did I argue that he shouldn't take a look at changing his diet.

post #14 of 41 (permalink) Old 10-05-2006, 08:14 PM
Baller

ok...then why dont you stop? I'm sorry that i actually know what im talking about.
post #15 of 41 (permalink) Old 10-05-2006, 10:28 PM
Genetically Blessed

i do the elliptical 6x a week 30 minutes a session. run for 20 minutes 3x a week after that. i lost 50 lbs about 5 years ago eating right and doing the stairmaster 30 minutes a day, 7x a week.
post #16 of 41 (permalink) Old 10-05-2006, 10:47 PM
We lost one.....

I hate cardio. Most boring shit there is hands down. I'll use the eliptical since I'm too cheap to buy a a good pair of running shoes. But I like to keep my ass in the free weights. I hate parking all the way at the back of the lot but its nice that the half of the building with all the weights is nearly always empty. You gotta fight for a cardio machine and even then they are reminding you of the club time limit.
post #17 of 41 (permalink) Old 10-05-2006, 11:12 PM
Banned

I lift mon, tues, thursday, and friday.
On Wednesdays I'm on the elliptical for 30 minutes doing intervals.
Every one of those nights though I run a mile and a half.
post #18 of 41 (permalink) Old 10-06-2006, 09:31 AM
Time Served

I work out mon. wed. fri. a must Tues, thur. and sat. are if I have nothing to do I go.. Im not a doc. or a pro. but the best way to loose weight is to eat better, and power walk. I do 30 min. of power walking on the treadmill atleast 3times a week. I have lost 7 pounds in 2 weeks.. Jogging is for endurance and to build stamina, try just power walking that shit is tuff, compared to jogging.

post #19 of 41 (permalink) Old 10-06-2006, 10:27 AM
Hired Hand

Quote:
okay people, I know Aaron understands this.

Less activity with shitty diet = fat
more activity with shitty diet = higher metabolism and less fat than above.

It's not optimal, nor is it rocket science.

Nowhere did I argue that he shouldn't take a look at changing his diet.

Exactly, it isn't optimal. Walking/jogging without consideration to diet is better than no cardio at all, but exponentially more progress can be achieved when transitioning to a healthy diet. Quit being argumentative, we're on the same page.

Raven 2006 Yamaha R6S

post #20 of 41 (permalink) Old 10-06-2006, 01:04 PM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Raven
Exactly, it isn't optimal. Walking/jogging without consideration to diet is better than no cardio at all, but exponentially more progress can be achieved when transitioning to a healthy diet. Quit being argumentative, we're on the same page.
we = You and I, yes.
we = myself and ruffdaddy? Not so much. I've said my piece.

post #21 of 41 (permalink) Old 10-06-2006, 01:14 PM
Hired Hand

Quote:
we = You and I, yes.
we = myself and ruffdaddy? Not so much. I've said my piece.
Bully.

Raven 2006 Yamaha R6S

post #22 of 41 (permalink) Old 10-06-2006, 03:14 PM
Baller

Just for reference...what kinda shape are you in three finger? Background in exercise at all?
post #23 of 41 (permalink) Old 10-06-2006, 04:09 PM
Worship me

Run run run. I been running all the fucking time here lately, did 5.5 miles this morning as a slow run at a 10:15 pace. If you eat decent and run you will lose some weight (I really don't). You might also do a really heavy lifting day with big movements once a week. I usually go in on Sundays and do a squat and deadlift workout that makes me want to barf and I'm so damn hungry for the rest of the day after that that I eat constantly. It's nuts.
post #24 of 41 (permalink) Old 10-08-2006, 03:42 PM
OC
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mychael101
I hate cardio. Most boring shit there is hands down. I'll use the eliptical since I'm too cheap to buy a a good pair of running shoes. But I like to keep my ass in the free weights. I hate parking all the way at the back of the lot but its nice that the half of the building with all the weights is nearly always empty. You gotta fight for a cardio machine and even then they are reminding you of the club time limit.
Mychael, are you still using the 24 hour over in Cedar Hill? I know you posted up before you were gonna give it a try.
post #25 of 41 (permalink) Old 10-09-2006, 01:55 AM
We lost one.....

I'm still there. I still gotta shed about 30lbs then I'll be happy. I'm hoping by X-mas I'll get there.
post #26 of 41 (permalink) Old 10-09-2006, 08:38 AM
OC
Lifer

Quote:
I'm still there. I still gotta shed about 30lbs then I'll be happy. I'm hoping by X-mas I'll get there.

30Lbs is what I have left too, what all are you doing. i.e. Cardio, and Diet, and do you do any supplements?

Thanks
post #27 of 41 (permalink) Old 10-09-2006, 09:16 AM
We lost one.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by OC
30Lbs is what I have left too, what all are you doing. i.e. Cardio, and Diet, and do you do any supplements?

Thanks
Started at nearly 300lbs last November, now I'm at 180lbs. Supplements used are Muscle Milk, ON whey gold standard, one a day multivitamin, nutrex labs ultimate cutting stack. Cardio was a min of 30mins each workout day and 45min-1hr on non-workout days. Diet isn't as clean as some but much better than most. Try to prepare your meals in advance. I'm having something all thru the day. 5-6 small meals daily and plenty of water. Any other questions let me know. I'm not as experienced or knowledgeable as some in here but I'll try to help. BTW add some abs work in this routine, I never did now I gotta work twice as hard to get my midsection up to par with the rest of my body.

Monday: Chest, Biceps
Bench Press(free weights,barbell), 3sets,6reps max weight intense
training style, 5 minute rest between sets fast-twitch fibers
Incline press(free weights,barbell) 2sets, 10 reps, sub max weight,
normal speed, 3min rest between sets intermediate fibers
Vertical bench press(machine) 1 set 20 reps, slow reps under constant
tension slow-twitch fibers
Barbell curls(shoulder wide grip) 3 sets 6reps
Dumbell curls (seated) 2 sets 10 reps
EZ-barbell curls (narrow grip) 1 set 20 reps
Tuesday: Legs
Squats (free weights, barbell) 3 sets 6 reps
Leg press (machine) 2 sets 10 reps
Hack squats (machine) 1 set 20 reps
Wednesdayff

Thursday:Shoulders, Triceps
Behind the neck press(free weights, barbell) 3sets 6 reps
Standing upright rows(free weights EZ-barbell) 2 sets 10 reps
Front overhead press/Shoulder press(machine) 1 set 20 reps
Lying triceps press(free weights,EZ-barbell) 3 sets 6 reps
Overhead triceps press(free weights,EZ-barbell) 2 sets 10 reps
Triceps pushdown/dip machine(machine,cable) 1 set 20 reps
Friday: Back, Calves
Front latpulldown(machine,shoulder wide grip) 3 sets 6 reps
Seated cable rows(machine,narrow grip) 2 sets 10 reps
Dumbbell rows(one arm at a time) 1 set 20 reps
Standing calf raises(machine) 3 sets 6 reps
Seated calf raises(machine) 2 sets 10 reps
Bend-over calf raises(machine) 1 set 20 reps
Saturday: off
Sunday: off
post #28 of 41 (permalink) Old 10-10-2006, 01:45 PM
Lifer

Quote:

Correct me if i am wrong...you said youre 180 now and want to drop 30 more by christmas....180 sounds like a good number to me....how tall are you?

Cowboys to the Super Bowl!!!!!
post #29 of 41 (permalink) Old 10-10-2006, 01:54 PM
Lifer

on on the side of cardio and eating bad....that is pretty much me right now....i love me some mickey d's.....i had double hernia surgery about 2 months ago "sucks big time"......and just before i had it i was 5'11'' and 207 with 10% and about a 33 inch waist while eating clean and taking some nec. supps....amino acids....multi vitamin...l-glutamine...and a ton of protein..........after not being able to do any excercise for that long and laying around and eating BAD....i am 198lbs with 16.5 % closer to 36 inch waist......well that was 2 weeks ago...i havent encorporated lifting back into my routine yet...but i have been doing about 25-40 minutes of running 5 days out of the week and i get to this park halfway through my run and do different gripped chin ups.... for the last 2 weeks and i have noticed a big change i have lost 3 inches from my waist and dropped about 6-8lbs. so i guess that cardio and eating semi bad isnt too bad for you? Do what you can with the time you have and youll always get better results by doing something rather than nothing.

Cowboys to the Super Bowl!!!!!
post #30 of 41 (permalink) Old 10-11-2006, 12:38 AM
Baller

all im saying is...cardio is for little bitches. haha...but seriously. I know it will do something, but if you really want to make a difference you have to diet.
post #31 of 41 (permalink) Old 10-12-2006, 07:24 AM
We lost one.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by 93powerranger
Correct me if i am wrong...you said youre 180 now and want to drop 30 more by christmas....180 sounds like a good number to me....how tall are you?
I'm 5'6 but I swear I'm shorter. I'll take 160 if I can get my body fat in the single digits and I finally have my well defined abs back.
post #32 of 41 (permalink) Old 10-12-2006, 08:37 AM
Never settle always excel

It seems all here have great points and most understand it is the combination of diet and exercise that work best. The one idea you need to re-define is "Diet" which should be changed to moderation in your existing diet. You don't have to cut out beer, just reduce the amount you intake. Also add more protein like tuna fish versus a burger and veggies like salad versus a taco. If you cut down the amount of soda you drink by half this will have a great affect studies found that 1 soda a day = 3 pounds per month for a static person. As for cario men burn more calories rowing than cycling for the same period.

When it comes down to it, eat in moderation and exercise the same. The worst thing people do is change their entire lifestyle for a few days only to fall off the preverbial wagon. Running is fine but studies have proven 70% of the people who train for running for weight loss quite versus of those who run simply to improve health and lifestyle i.e. making a habit of it only 30% of those are unsuccessful. The idea if you wish to lose weight in a fast and healthy way eat foods that are low in trans fat, stay away from excessive amounts of beer and soda. Might interest you to know that you can burn 30 calories by drinking a cold 16 oz bottle of water, the body has to heat the water which makes it burns calories. Hope this helps, let me know if you need help with a running regiment. If you wonder about the preceding informations merit, I was a Master Fitness Trainer in the Army. As a teacher I currently coach wrestling and track.
post #33 of 41 (permalink) Old 10-12-2006, 01:37 PM
Wolverines!!!

Well you obviously have heard dieting is gunna be helpfull, but I don't know if anyone gave you any guidelines for running, Im pretty lazy to read all this.
With purely cardio as the question is mainly boils down to how in shape are you and what you're most comfortable with(not as in doing 10m walks to the fridge and what not) but whether you like scenery, treadmills, tracks, etc. Don't run enough to do more harm than good to your muscles, remember your bodies own constraints and be patient. if you're in decnet shape my suggestion would be to start running anywhere from 2 to 4 days aweek depending on your free time and health. Vary your runs too such as one day do a nice easy distance run, another shorter and faster, and if you have time for a third day spend it on conditioning excercises. Such as wind sprints or hill runs. They may seem like the worst thing youve done in your life, but they will help your cardio ALOT
post #34 of 41 (permalink) Old 10-12-2006, 05:57 PM
Ultimate X-phoria

I don't eat well, I just avoid fast food and soda's during the week for the most part and keep my calorie count at 1600/1700. Combine that with some cardio and i've lost 36 lbs in the past year. Cardio has played a huge part in it to say the least. But you do got to tweak your eating habits some. I never gave up alcohol, I just ditched the jack and coke for jack and diet coke.
post #35 of 41 (permalink) Old 10-12-2006, 06:23 PM
Baller

1600-1700 calories is a diet...
post #36 of 41 (permalink) Old 10-12-2006, 06:28 PM
Time Served

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyrone Biggums
I do one hour sessions on our elliptical machine, 3 times a week.
yeah thats your best way of going. but starting off at an hour at a time may be hard for you. but in a few weeks you will feel a difference
post #37 of 41 (permalink) Old 10-13-2006, 02:26 PM
Ultimate X-phoria

Quote:
1600-1700 calories is a diet...
I eat burgers, hot dogs, pizza, etc. How is that a diet? Especially considering if I hit 1900 a day, i'll gain weight.
post #38 of 41 (permalink) Old 10-13-2006, 05:22 PM
Baller

thats just an incredibly low calorie count for someone who exercises regularly. I would guess im around 2500-3000 a day, and im pretty lean.
post #39 of 41 (permalink) Old 10-13-2006, 07:15 PM
JPS

Quote:
thats just an incredibly low calorie count for someone who exercises regularly. I would guess im around 2500-3000 a day, and im pretty lean.
Two weeks ago, I started running 2 miles in the morning, 1 mile at lunch and then sometimes, I'll do the elliptacle at night for only 20 minutes (but it still kills my legs). I eat 900 to 1000 calories a day. Still need to lose 5 pounds but I'm getting there. I eat enough....every person is different.

JPS
post #40 of 41 (permalink) Old 10-13-2006, 07:21 PM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPS
Two weeks ago, I started running 2 miles in the morning, 1 mile at lunch and then sometimes, I'll do the elliptacle at night for only 20 minutes (but it still kills my legs). I eat 900 to 1000 calories a day. Still need to lose 5 pounds but I'm getting there. I eat enough....every person is different.

JPS
Yeah, you're also a girl. At any given bodyweight, the person with more muscle will burn more calories during any activity. Women are generally less muscular than men, so that explains why they need less calories.

post #41 of 41 (permalink) Old 10-13-2006, 07:26 PM
Baller

Yes i understand everyone is different, but there are still generalizations that can be made (hence american food being based on a 2000calorie diet). And staying below 1000 calories is very impressive. In hollywoods case - I figured if he cared enough to stay around 1600-1700 calories, then he would care enough to eat healthy.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement