Protein Bars... - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-05-2002, 02:50 PM Thread Starter
The Alpha Omega Frog

Protein Bars...

We all know there isnt always enough time during the day to make a shake or have a real lunch...Being on the run has left me grabbing for some protein bars during mid day.

Some arent that bad..others are down right foul....What's your experience?...But I know its for the better good...so persevere I shall...

How about the protein drinks? Are they as filling as a shake or bar?

Y2K Supercharged Electric Green GT
The Dallas Diamonds
WPFL 3Peat Superbowl Champions 2004-06
IWFL 2008 Superbowl Champions
Captain*Mike/Sam*League All Pro 2004
Def/LB coach 06-08 season
Defensive Coordinator 09

Dallas Fire Rescue
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-05-2002, 03:19 PM

Re: Protein Bars...

Quote:
Originally posted by Frogger
We all know there isnt always enough time during the day to make a shake or have a real lunch...Being on the run has left me grabbing for some protein bars during mid day.

Some arent that bad..others are down right foul....What's your experience?...But I know its for the better good...so persevere I shall...

How about the protein drinks? Are they as filling as a shake or bar?
As far as the bars go, I've tried quite a few different brands, and I routinely stick to Pure Protein now. They have the most flavors that I can handle. None are really "nummy" but their protein bars for god's sake! I like their strawberry cheescake, and their smores aren't bad either. Vitamin world carries a "generic" brand that is supposed to be just as good quality as the Pure Protein for 6 bucks less a pack, I've tried their blueberry cheescake and like them. Now for protein drinks, the drinks are better than bars because it's more pure protein. There is a lot of debate about the glycerine content of the bars, and exactly how "good" for you they are. For a quick meal, the bars are fine IMO, but some of the hardcore health people don't like them. I never get "filled" off of shakes, but that's not always the point in me drinking them....over the course of a day, I routinely drink 2 shakes and eat 1 bar. The thing to keep in mind is that the protein bars shouldn't be confused with meal replacement bars. There is a big difference in the two. If you're trying to establish a balanced diet, perhaps the meal replacement bars would be more appropriate.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-05-2002, 08:07 PM
mannish boy

it's all about the MET-RX baybeee!!!

don't get me wrong, they're pretty chalky, but you gotta love that "Satanicly Engineered" protein!

I get the protein plus ones... I think they're like 45g each. actually, I haven't had one in a few weeks now.

I get the "Tripple Threat" meal replacement shake powder from Mass Quantities www.massquantities.com

it is THE BEST stuff I've found yet... MET-RX shakes are like trying to drink a warm 3 Muskateers bar... Tripple Threat is actually LIQUID where most shakes you practically have to "chew"

if it weren't for meal replacement shakes/bars I'd be a friggin' twig! (actually I'd probably be more pudgy because I wouldn't be satisfying my sweet tooth! LOL!)

oh yeah, don't forget to mix in some high lignan Flax Seed oil... REALLY good for you, I think it helps "round" out the flavor of the shake, and it satisfies the body's fat cravings (there's a REASON you crave fats... you NEED them! the key is to get the right ones!)

here's the profile on the Tripple Threat shake: (lovin' the 60g's of protein!!)

Supplement Facts
Serving Size ~ 85 g
Servings Per Container ~ 32+
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Amount Per Serving

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Calories 334/350 (Vanilla/Chocolate)
Calories From Fat 18

Total Fat 2 g
Saturated Fat < 1 g
Cholesterol 15.9 mg
Sodium 108 mg
Potassium 696 mg
Total Carbohydrates 19 g/23 g
Dietary Fiber < 1 g/2.5 g
Sugars < 1 g
Protein 60 g
Vitamin C 100% USRDA
Vitamin E 100% USRDA
Vitamin A 100% USRDA
Vitamin B3 100% USRDA
Zinc Oxide 100% USRDA
Iron 100% USRDA
Copper 100% USRDA
Calcium 100% USRDA
Vitamin D3 100% USRDA
Vitamin B6 100% USRDA
Riboflavin (Vitamin B2) 100% USRDA
Vitamin K1 100% USRDA
Thiamin (Vitamin B1) 100% USRDA
Biotin 100% USRDA
Potassium Iodide 100% USRDA

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-06-2002, 12:56 PM Thread Starter
The Alpha Omega Frog

Re: Re: Protein Bars...

Quote:
Originally posted by LilCPop

The thing to keep in mind is that the protein bars shouldn't be confused with meal replacement bars. There is a big difference in the two. If you're trying to establish a balanced diet, perhaps the meal replacement bars would be more appropriate.
Pure Protein huh? Ill try those, Clint. Ive seen them around, so I'll be sure to pick some up. And yeah I'm familiar with meal replacement bars. I just have a protein bar just to keep me till I get a chance to sit and eat. Meal replacement would be too much for me and I feel would hamper my goal achievement.

Forrest...MET-Rx...those have to be some of the foulest! Haha..chalky my butt..its like eating sheet rock.

The shakes are better IMO because I can shove a straw down my throat and be at peace...

I've heard of MassQuantities before and I guess I should look into that and Flax seed if I want to get a serious as I used to be...

Ive never paid as much attention to supplements till this past year, because I never had a problem with reaching my goals, but now as I get older...I'll take whatever help I can muster.

Thanks fellas!
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-06-2002, 03:51 PM
mannish boy

I always liked MET-RX because I actually felt like I was absorbing some of the protein...

but I haven't "run rich" yet from the Tripple Threat which means that it's either absorbing much better (possible... I'm still happy with how stuff's going) or they're fudging their protein numbers a little high (certainly possible too!)

try the Tripple Threat... it has a little less "candy" flavor to it (only way I can describe it) than some of the other stuff I've used, but the TEXTURE is about a million times better than anything I've used, and you start to enjoy the flavor more and more... I love the shit... and like I said and as you said, get some flax seed oil... lots of people take it straight... fuck all that... I mix it with my oatmeal (insead of butter) and mix it in my shakes (gives a flavor that I like more than without!)

I don't crave sweets or fatty foods (though I will admit to macking on 1/2lb of fried chicken strips from Albertsons about once a week! (a LOT cheaper than fast food and better too!) hey, a brother gets tired of tuna and eggs!

Forrest
Sponsored Links
Advertisement