Did my first submission wrestling/BJJ tournament tonight... - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-24-2006, 12:58 AM Thread Starter
Pushed to the limit

Did my first submission wrestling/BJJ tournament tonight...

When I signed up, I was told that there was a sport jiu-jitsu division so thats what I registered for because I have been doing stricly gi training for the last 6 months. Turns out it was completely submission wrestling. I was also under the impression that there would be 3 skill divisions so I signed up for the intermediate because I am a 3 stripe white belt. There ended up being two skill levels (beginner and advanced) so I got to go against dudes from my own gym who are experienced MMA fighters and high level blue belts. I also had the luck of drawing the first match of the tournament.

I won my first match on points 12 - 4. The guy got two takedowns on me in the first 5 minute round and then I shut him out the rest of the match. I pulled guard twice going for chokes and the gave him takedown points. All that did was piss me off. After that, I punished him by getting a single leg takedown, getting to mount and working him down into an arm triangle but the buzzer beat me.

In the semis, I got worked by a guy who trains at my dojo. I stuffed a couple of his takedown attempts but he finally single-legged me and ended up in my half guard. I kept him from passing for a few seconds but he passed and somehow ended up getting me an arm triangle (oh the irony!). I ended up tapping after I felt/heard some of my neck bones popping and started seeing stars.

It was really cool because my dojo only lost two matches where we weren't pitted against each other.

My wife was there which is amazing because she hates that I like doing stuff that might cause injury. She was a good sport and even filmed my matches.

Buying dogs kills.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-24-2006, 02:57 PM
Time Served

Awesome! My first one will be next month! I'm really looking forward to it!

If you're looking for a gi tournament, Carlos Machado is having one up there on Oct 14th. (the same day as the one down here.) I'm still torn as to which I'll attend. Not driving 3 hours would be nice, but the CM one is supposed to really draw some good folks and is well run.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-25-2006, 09:28 AM
Ja Ja Ja Ja JEW UNIT!!

pwter.. congrats!!! how does what you are doing now compare to what steve taught you? did it help?

D.
Pain, is weakness leaving the body.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-25-2006, 10:07 AM Thread Starter
Pushed to the limit

Quote:
Originally Posted by White_lightning
pwter.. congrats!!! how does what you are doing now compare to what steve taught you? did it help?
Steve helped me a lot with the mental aspects of the game. I didn't get to train for a real long time with him but I definately got to gain some understanding of focus and relaxation under pressure. I also learned some neat street fighting techniques from Steve but what I do now has clear cut rules. If I did some of the stuff that I learned from him, I would get disqualified

Buying dogs kills.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-25-2006, 10:09 AM Thread Starter
Pushed to the limit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott H
Awesome! My first one will be next month! I'm really looking forward to it!

If you're looking for a gi tournament, Carlos Machado is having one up there on Oct 14th. (the same day as the one down here.) I'm still torn as to which I'll attend. Not driving 3 hours would be nice, but the CM one is supposed to really draw some good folks and is well run.
I live in Colorado now so going to Texas for a tournament would be a big financial drain on me right now but if I could afford it, I would probably do it.

Who do you train with in Austin? My buddy who lives down there is looking for a dojo to start training.

Buying dogs kills.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-26-2006, 11:21 AM
Time Served

Quote:
Originally Posted by PWTRTXSS
I live in Colorado now so going to Texas for a tournament would be a big financial drain on me right now but if I could afford it, I would probably do it.

Who do you train with in Austin? My buddy who lives down there is looking for a dojo to start training.
Doh! That would be a bit of a drive!

I train with William Vandry, a Carlos Machado black belt. (2003 pan-am super heavyweight champ.) He's an awesome instructor! He does primarily gi stuff though (as far as straight BJJ goes.) He used to have no-gi classes, but now they are MMA classes, so you grapple, but it's more MMA-centric now. I can't say enough good things about him as an instructor though. It's a great learning environment, lots of good guys (and gals)... absolutely no ego tolerated. http://www.austinbjj.com/ He's also got a great Muay Thai isntructor there for cross-training.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-29-2006, 08:43 AM
Time Served

Quote:
Originally Posted by PWTRTXSS
When I signed up, I was told that there was a sport jiu-jitsu division so thats what I registered for because I have been doing stricly gi training for the last 6 months. Turns out it was completely submission wrestling. I was also under the impression that there would be 3 skill divisions so I signed up for the intermediate because I am a 3 stripe white belt. There ended up being two skill levels (beginner and advanced) so I got to go against dudes from my own gym who are experienced MMA fighters and high level blue belts. I also had the luck of drawing the first match of the tournament.

I won my first match on points 12 - 4. The guy got two takedowns on me in the first 5 minute round and then I shut him out the rest of the match. I pulled guard twice going for chokes and the gave him takedown points. All that did was piss me off. After that, I punished him by getting a single leg takedown, getting to mount and working him down into an arm triangle but the buzzer beat me.

In the semis, I got worked by a guy who trains at my dojo. I stuffed a couple of his takedown attempts but he finally single-legged me and ended up in my half guard. I kept him from passing for a few seconds but he passed and somehow ended up getting me an arm triangle (oh the irony!). I ended up tapping after I felt/heard some of my neck bones popping and started seeing stars.

It was really cool because my dojo only lost two matches where we weren't pitted against each other.

My wife was there which is amazing because she hates that I like doing stuff that might cause injury. She was a good sport and even filmed my matches.
Where are you training at? I'm DYING to get started on BJJ! What's it costing you anyways?

1992 SHO MTX
Under Construction...
White/Black/White

1992 SHO MTX
My first SHO, and always my favorite. Totaled at less than 9 MPH. Dynomax Bullets, chip'd, Tokicos, and a few other goodies. Official parts car.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-02-2006, 11:58 AM Thread Starter
Pushed to the limit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferendon
Where are you training at? I'm DYING to get started on BJJ! What's it costing you anyways?
I train at High Altitude Martial Arts in Aurora. It was a small school when I started but massive enrollment has pushed the price of training up quite a bit. When I started there were no contracts and I got grandfathered in at a month to month rate of $90 a month. The new guys are paying around $150 a month which appears to be the average these days.

Buying dogs kills.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement