How difficult to lower body fat 20%? - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-13-2006, 08:44 PM Thread Starter
WTF is Zed?

Question How difficult to lower body fat 20%?

I just had my body fat percentage taken at my gym yesterday for the first time ever, it was 10.3%. I was pretty amazed it was that low considering I'm not on a strict diet or anything. I am 30 years old, 5'8", 165 lbs. I eat pretty healthy but do slip in the occasional dessert or fried food. I lift 4-5 days a week and do at least 40 minutes of cardio 3-4 days (jump rope and stair master)

How hard is it tyically to drop 2 points, or in my case approx 20% body fat? I really only store in my chest and love handles, no fat anywhere else. I know I will have to maintain a stricter diet and stick with the cardio. Any experiences on how tough this will be? Any suggestions on the best way to meet my goals?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-13-2006, 08:57 PM
Lifer

you're at 10% now and you want to lower 20%?
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-13-2006, 08:58 PM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmxerbrett
you're at 10% now and you want to lower 20%?

hell nevermind 2 points of 10 = 20%.

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-13-2006, 10:34 PM
UNFUCKWITHABLE

So you want to drop a percentage of a percentage, eh?

No personal experience, as I have never been that low, but the lower you get the harder it is to lose... so just be very strict about everything you consume and ramp up the cardio
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-13-2006, 10:45 PM
Horsepower Tycoon

Its really hard to say. Everybody is different and some can keep low BF with out trying hard(You) while others try and still have 13-15%. I would say just keep doing what you are doing and start keep a log of what you diet is like and adjust from there for your particular circumstance.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-13-2006, 11:24 PM
Baller

The discipline is the only hard part. If you have a good diet you could be there in a little over a month(possibly less depending on your body). Keeping it at 8% or less is going to be very hard. I am around 8% right now, but there have also been times where i have been at 10% just because i slacked off on a diet. Its not easy to maintain by any means. But at 10% you should be pretty slim. What type of test did you have done?

And for future reference...You should say "how hard is it to cut my body fat by 20%" or "how hard is it to go from 10% to 8% body fat." The way you worded it is basically saying that you want to be at -9.7% body fat. haha
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-14-2006, 04:01 AM
Banned

Genetics could very well keep you at where you're at without some MAJOR diet restrictions.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-14-2006, 08:38 AM
Lifer

Also, don't trust those readings. I have had my body fat taken 10 times in a row with the expensive calipers and got 10 different readings that varied by almost 10%. Use what you see in the mirror instead.

2001 Mustang Bullitt GT #5111 367.6rwhp/378.4rwtq
2004 Black Lightning #789 STOCK: 363.1rwhp/444.8rwtq
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-14-2006, 11:12 AM
Hired Hand

Caliper testing is only as accurate as the person administering, and still marginal at best. It's a good way to show relative progress, but not all that good for testing actual body compostion. 10% and lower is already pretty lean, but if you want to do it just to do it, 2lbs a week isn't hard at all with a strict diet and daily cardio.

BTW, if you are truly at 10.3%, you don't have love handles.

Raven 2006 Yamaha R6S

"If it has horsepower or tits you're gonna have trouble with it eventually..."
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-14-2006, 12:08 PM
Baller

I was thinking the same thing Raven...love handles should be clear at 10%...

And its true that caliper testing is very inaccurate, but if performed by the same person over a span of time it should be a good indicator of progress (or lack thereof).

If he's at 10% with that much exercise, its not genetics that are keeping him there. So he will have to follow a strict diet. After a few months it gets easier. Just remind yourself that you eat for nourishment and not pleasure. Everynow and then its ok to go off, but for the most part...you'll learn to like healthy food. And after a year or so of good eating you will start to feel sick after eating unhealthy.

Know whats good and whats bad. Go with skim or 1% milk. Eat lots of chicken and vegetables. Stay away from food cooked in oils or with butter. If you eat eggs, just eat the whites. No processed food. Nothing Fried. No carbonated beverages (and if you need caffeine buy some jet alert, or no-doz). Its really common sense when you break it down.
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-14-2006, 08:21 PM Thread Starter
WTF is Zed?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruffdaddy
Know whats good and whats bad. Go with skim or 1% milk. Eat lots of chicken and vegetables. Stay away from food cooked in oils or with butter. If you eat eggs, just eat the whites. No processed food. Nothing Fried. No carbonated beverages (and if you need caffeine buy some jet alert, or no-doz). Its really common sense when you break it down.
The test was done with a caliper. He did my chest three times, stomach three times, and thigh three times. To be honest I was shocked when he said 10%, I really don't think I'm that low.

I pretty much eat exactly how you describe except I do sneak in some fries or a dessert but only once a week. My diet has only been this strict for a month or so, gonna keep it up and check my progress monthly. Thanks for the input.
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-14-2006, 11:15 PM
Do Work Son!!!!!

i lost 7.9% in one school semester and lost 28 lbs at the same time as that, it was hard and i ran 6 days a week really intense. Good luck diet is the key

Just another day in paradise.
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-16-2006, 04:39 PM
Time Served

very strict diet.. Lots of Grilled Chicken and no carbs.. 0 carbs.. Thats means none!!!!!!! 3 or 4 days a week at the gym is plenty with the amount of cardio you do....... Get more protein in your diet and less carbs and salt...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement